New Docklands Park - Potential Training Venue?

It's been a topic that has been on the back burner but i'm sure the club would be putting their hand up to be part of this redevelopment.

A TAN-style running track will be built in Docklands as part of a multi-million-dollar development to improve the urban community.

Premier Denis Napthine and Planning Minister Matthew Guy will today announce construction of the first stage of Western Park would begin within nine months.

"It will bring alive the western end of the Docklands precinct and turn unused, windswept space in to a fantastic new sporting and community hub," Mr Guy said.

"Western Park will feature a football oval overlaid with two soccer pitches, a community pavilion for spectators, children's playground and new exercise circuit. It will be the first of its kind in Docklands."

Details and images of the park have been released to the Herald Sun exclusively.

Mr Guy said the first stage, worth $18 million, had been planned and paid for already. Located close to the Bolte Bridge, the four-part development would include a barbecue and seating area, three multi-purpose courts and a cycling and pedestrian bridge across Victoria Harbour.

"The ultimate connection across Victoria Harbour in stage four of the plan would be a major attraction for Docklands and would create a 3.7km running and walking track, comparable to the well-established Royal Botanic Gardens 'Tan', which is 3.87km," Mr Guy said.

The redevelopment would be finished within about six years, he said.

407284616.jpg

407284615.jpg

Edited by 13thFlagIsComing

We now have a top grade training venue at Olympic Park, eventually. WTH would we move, yet again, further away from the MCG? PS...to a venue that has a soccer pitch incorporated into it?

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

this is just more giving up if the MFC goes down the path to docklands... they would be just giving Up & running away Again,,, to a new park, ball in hand...

its time for the 'fuscias' to STOP running away like cale... & to stop & stand & fight for their homelands...

giving up & letting others walk all over us has been happening for Far Too long now... we have to fight for our traditional ways & Areas, not give in!

... who will be the next club to squeeze us of the Docklands/Egate? when do you stop running away???

bring back the Demon spirit that 'Checker' brought Us to...

• Like 1

This ol thing keeps coming back around every so often.

I was for it but having seen first hand how bleak it is there I cant really wish it upon anyone.

Im of the opinion that CS was quite keen and tried to ingratiate ourselves into the groupthink that was over seeing the project. hes gone and so is our interest in this I think.

Mr pragmatic will be more interested in the personnel than a swish locale in rebuilding our little club.

AAMI is good but ...its still not quite right. it will I imagine suffice for some time to come now.

The club already has two of the newest/improved training grounds in the AFL:

- AAMI/Olympic Park (state of the art and with the Storm and Victory)

- Casey (great grounds, bit far away but has an ice bath and good facilities)

The club already has two of the newest/improved training grounds in the AFL:

- AAMI/Olympic Park (state of the art and with the Storm and Victory)

- Casey (great grounds, bit far away but has an ice bath and good facilities)

Yep,agree. I think we might have a few other things to focus on at the moment. It's not like we are back at the Junction oval.

This kind of thing was part of the previous admins smoke and mirrors approach.

This ol thing keeps coming back around every so often.

I was for it but having seen first hand how bleak it is there I cant really wish it upon anyone.

Im of the opinion that CS was quite keen and tried to ingratiate ourselves into the groupthink that was over seeing the project. hes gone and so is our interest in this I think.

Mr pragmatic will be more interested in the personnel than a swish locale in rebuilding our little club.

AAMI is good but ...its still not quite right. it will I imagine suffice for some time to come now.

The location Is right BB, even if not in the building itself. (costs)

.... it's right across the road from the Richmond Station, linking us to both the D-nong/Gippsland train, & the Frankston & Sandringham lines... this is a huge start to re-engage our traditional roots & sprout new ones.

We must settle our training ground, & start to rejig & setup for our future. we have to "Make It Happen"....

...the MCG is Not our home, its our place of "Corroboree",,, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corroboree) we are without a Home, we are really, nomads. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomad

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Yep,agree. I think we might have a few other things to focus on at the moment. It's not like we are back at the Junction oval.

This kind of thing was part of the previous admins smoke and mirrors approach.

Was part of a plan to give the players the best training facilities possible and by pushing to get included on the AAMI Parks Vic Gov subsidized bandwagon with Storm and Victory at a very cost effective way, and with Casey a chance to strengthen ties.

Whats that old saying that you can lead a horse to water but you cant stop it from getting in a hot tub?

Everyone criticizes the club for not developing players properly, they are unfit, and need to build physically. I find it ironic that providing the tools to fix this is smoke and mirrors.

Was part of a plan to give the players the best training facilities possible and by pushing to get included on the AAMI Parks Vic Gov subsidized bandwagon with Storm and Victory at a very cost effective way, and with Casey a chance to strengthen ties.

Whats that old saying that you can lead a horse to water but you cant stop it from getting in a hot tub?

Everyone criticizes the club for not developing players properly, they are unfit, and need to build physically. I find it ironic that providing the tools to fix this is smoke and mirrors.

I think you are not reading me right 'PJ', the talk of docklands was the smoke and mirrors I'm talking about when the club was struggling on field.

The AMMI set up has been a good move.

The AMMI set up has been a good move.

Has it? Apparently it was almost too small the day we walked in, and the off-field side of Clubs keeps getting bigger. I know the Club was under much pressure from the government to sign up, and although the Stynes Board did so, they were still exploring other options.

I hope we still continue to explore options

Not sure why we are even discussing this or for that matter why I am bothering.

This a an idea floated by the state government to suggested they are doing things.

Won't happen or if it does will be a decade away.

MFC is in survival mode.

It is a pipe dream that we cannot afford.

I doubt the new board / CEO have any interest in.

Another grand CS dream while we were going down the toilet.

1. Wind swept - we'd end up with only half a ground to practice on

2. Lol at the giant wheel in the back ground. Will the oval end up going the same way?

Oh no, not the giant wheel!! Imaging when we have our 'closed training session' on the eve of the 2014 GF - all the spies will be up there looking. LOL

Oh no, not the giant wheel!! Imaging when we have our 'closed training session' on the eve of the 2014 GF - all the spies will be up there looking. LOL

But what if the wheel breaks, and and the wheel rolls through Docklands and squashes good old Wattsy the day before the GF???

if it is ever up and running again...

... it being the wheel or MFC ? :-(