Dan Nicholson - Crumbing Forward

Geez give the kid a break. Was one of our best last week.

Not a bad idea OP, but I prefer him being able to break the lines a bit, it's hard to do that as a forward pocket-type player.

Dan Nicholson is a liability. As of next year, I don't want to see him in our starting 22. He is an athlete, not a football player.

Another drafting mistake during the BP days to go with many others.

If there was a 'rap sheet' for Prendergast, picking Nicholson in the Rookie Draft wouldn't be found.

When we talk about recruitment failures we can stick in the first and second round of the National Draft and write a tome the size of Lord of the Rings and with many of the same themes!

• Like 2

Watch the game from last week again and see how many kicks he butchered. HARDLY ANY!

In fact some of his kicks were a high degree of difficulty and pinpoint perfect.

Also take into consideration that a tagger is constantly chasing, then running off his player. This constant physical exertion makes it a lot harder to kick with composure.

Yes, his disposal has been woeful in the past but he has obviously worked hard on this area of his game and it is starting to show.

17 disposals at 82.4% efficiency - 6 marks - 4 clearances - 3 rebound 50's - 3 inside 50's - 11 tackles - 112 Dream Team points.

All while chasing one of the best mids currently in the game.

FCS start giving our young players a chance to develop.

• Like 10

I have been a huge critic of Nicho, but he was really good against the Doggies. He had a couple of turnovers but his kicking was actually spot on for most of the game. If - and it is a very big if - he can get his kicking right we need his energy and pace off half-back not up forward. He is a classic defender who "responds" to what happens rather than initiates it so ican't see him having the creativity or initiative to thrive up forward.

• Like 3

Not a footballer.

Therefore use his attributes in a defensive way from either half forward (like a Dennis Armfield) or midfield. Backline is no good because his lack of skills and defensive ability where he is caught ball watching.

He's one of those guys you want to make it because it's very rare to find a guy with as much speed and endurance therefore I don't think he was a bad recruit at all.

I loved his first 3/4 where I think he almost showed Griffen up. He certainly subdued one of the best players in the league whilst still getting plenty of ball and using it well. But I wonder about his ability to do it consistently because it the last quarter he was showed up a few times at crucial moments. The worse being letting Griffen get that mark directly in front of goal in which he just sat back and watched it happen. You excuse him for being fatigued (mentally and physically) but it was ominous.

I think he tags Dan Hannebery this week.

I have been a huge critic of Nicho, but he was really good against the Doggies. He had a couple of turnovers but his kicking was actually spot on for most of the game. If - and it is a very big if - he can get his kicking right we need his energy and pace off half-back not up forward. He is a classic defender who "responds" to what happens rather than initiates it so ican't see him having the creativity or initiative to thrive up forward.

His problem down back as far as I can tell is he hasn't been able to become either an attacking defender or a stopping defender. Strauss has had the same problem.

He finds enough of the ball to be an attacking player but then he butchers it. Or if he locks down on someone but can't do it well enough. I worry that his reactionary nature will prevent him ever become a good enough defender and as you mentioned his kicking will ever let him become a good option with the ball.

A bit like Harry O who got by in a good side for a long time but last year began to really struggle and hence has been moved to a wing to let him use his athleticism.

Terlich so far has proven he is a reasonable stopping defender but has been excellent at attacking finding heaps of the ball and generally using it well. Clisby has shown that he's got attacking instincts with good possession counts and his defensive work has been ok as well without playing on really quality opponents.

If there was a 'rap sheet' for Prendergast, picking Nicholson in the Rookie Draft wouldn't be found.

When we talk about recruitment failures we can stick in the first and second round of the National Draft and write a tome the size of Lord of the Rings and with many of the same themes!

It doesn't matter that it was the rookie draft, there are still players I play with and against in the Amo's who would contribute far more than an ability to 'run'.

That is literally all he has going for him. Skills are not taught and learned within the AFL. They need to be there from the start.

And for everyone else saying 'give him a break', please shut up. Stop becoming emotionally involved when a supporter and member critiques a player.

Nicholson is not good enough to make it. I couldn't believe it when he was drafted from Uni Blues to begin with.

I care about the club. Not an individual. I want the club to improve.

It doesn't matter that it was the rookie draft, there are still players I play with and against in the Amo's who would contribute far more than an ability to 'run'.

That is literally all he has going for him. Skills are not taught and learned within the AFL. They need to be there from the start.

And for everyone else saying 'give him a break', please shut up. Stop becoming emotionally involved when a supporter and member critiques a player.

Nicholson is not good enough to make it. I couldn't believe it when he was drafted from Uni Blues to begin with.

I care about the club. Not an individual. I want the club to improve.

I don't much rate Nicholson either. See my posts above where I think he's only at best a defensive player due to his attributes and on par with a Dennis Armfield. But there is an attitude coming through in this post of yours that you sound sad that you are your friends have been overlooked for Nicholson.

The rookie draft is a perfect place to take chances on athletes/athletic footballers and develop them. Skills are definitely taught at AFL clubs especially good ones. In fact a lot of players increase their skills by massive amounts it just doesn't show if they never make it to AFL standard. I'd give you Mark Blicavs as an example of a guy who was developed as an athlete and has increased his skills monumentally. Add Kurt Tippett as well if you like.

Fact is you need elite fitness and it damn helps to have speed to play AFL. In fact each club needs a balance of guys with elite speed otherwise you will get overrun by quick sides.

I feel Nicholson was upgraded from the rookie list too quickly and has also suffered from mix development messages like a lot of our players. At the same time I still agree he's not good enough. But we have the rest of the season to continue his development and to see what comes of it. I'd rather have Nicholson on the list than Gillies who not only lacks talent but also lacks physical attributes to play AFL.

Watch the game from last week again and see how many kicks he butchered. HARDLY ANY!

In fact some of his kicks were a high degree of difficulty and pinpoint perfect.

Also take into consideration that a tagger is constantly chasing, then running off his player. This constant physical exertion makes it a lot harder to kick with composure.

Yes, his disposal has been woeful in the past but he has obviously worked hard on this area of his game and it is starting to show.

17 disposals at 82.4% efficiency - 6 marks - 4 clearances - 3 rebound 50's - 3 inside 50's - 11 tackles - 112 Dream Team points.

All while chasing one of the best mids currently in the game.

FCS start giving our young players a chance to develop.

Well said, although I wouldn't start holding your breath, talk to Nicho quite a bit, knows where he needs to improve, wants to improve, in the team, and wants to stay there......I actually had a bit of fun last game...unfortunately sat in front of a mouth who did nothing but bag players.........when Fitzy had the shot from the boundary, he started....turned around and told him Fitzy would kick it with a banana (saw him do the same thing at Casey) when he did, the look on his face was priceless........you have to remember most Melbourne supporters especially some on this board, were born perfect

Give it a rest, this has been covered ad infitum, it's more like War and Peace, which as Woody Allen said "is a book about Russia"....... most of the supposed failures have gone, here is an exercise for you, go back to the Phantom Drafts and see where most pundits thought Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Maric et al would go in the draft, you will see they went where most thought they would.........hindsight is a wonderful thing, just ask Richard Tambling

Steve Jordan and Satyr are polar opposites. I believe the truth lies in the middle.

Steve would be like me after a bad loss and want to delist 20 blokes at the end of the year a bit like the Mark Neeld 2012.

Satyr would like to give them all 3 year deals and sit back and wait for the brilliance. Which made a lot more sense in 2010.

• Like 2

Well said, although I wouldn't start holding your breath, talk to Nicho quite a bit, knows where he needs to improve, wants to improve, in the team, and wants to stay there......I actually had a bit of fun last game...unfortunately sat in front of a mouth who did nothing but bag players.........when Fitzy had the shot from the boundary, he started....turned around and told him Fitzy would kick it with a banana (saw him do the same thing at Casey) when he did, the look on his face was priceless........you have to remember most Melbourne supporters especially some on this board, were born perfect

Or some prefer to have an objective opinion....

Satyriconhome it sounds like you're friends with the entire list. No [censored] wonder you have something to say anytime a supporter critiques a player.

Yep Fitzy is another that is improving. The thing with Fitzy is that he is incredibly hard to match up on.

I remember when Garlo, Frawley etc. etc. etc. etc... were all spouted as spuds on here early in their careers.

Time is what we must afford the younger players before writing them off.

It certainly does matter - there is a onus, a responsibility, to get those picks in the first and second round right.

Nicholson was taken in the RD and only took a spot on the Primary List this year. If his recruitment is a 'failure' it is of infnitesimal significance.

• Like 2

Skills are definitely taught at AFL clubs especially good ones. In fact a lot of players increase their skills by massive amounts it just doesn't show if they never make it to AFL standard. I'd give you Mark Blicavs as an example of a guy who was developed as an athlete and has increased his skills monumentally. Add Kurt Tippett as well if you like.

You can add Kieran Jack to that list. By his own admission he couldn't hit the side of a barn when he first joined the Swans. He's going alright now.

Steve Jordan and Satyr are polar opposites. I believe the truth lies in the middle.

Steve would be like me after a bad loss and want to delist 20 blokes at the end of the year a bit like the Mark Neeld 2012.

Satyr would like to give them all 3 year deals and sit back and wait for the brilliance. Which made a lot more sense in 2010.

That's on the mark.

Give it a rest, this has been covered ad infitum, it's more like War and Peace, which as Woody Allen said "is a book about Russia"....... most of the supposed failures have gone, here is an exercise for you, go back to the Phantom Drafts and see where most pundits thought Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Maric et al would go in the draft, you will see they went where most thought they would.........hindsight is a wonderful thing, just ask Richard Tambling

What are you talking about?

I am not assigning blame to anyone but I am making the point - that I have made previously, and will make again - that our recruitment problems from the past have left us in the shape we are in.

If you ignore the past, you may not avoid repeating it in the future.

• Like 1

Whether he deserves a spot on the list is debatable, but what should never be in question are his prospects as a small forward.

To be an AFL small forward you'd ideally need speed, agility, athleticism, immaculate skills, goal sense, good timing, reading of the play and footy smarts.

Nicholson has the bare minimum of these attributes.

No way in hell.

Or some prefer to have an objective opinion....

Satyriconhome it sounds like you're friends with the entire list. No [censored] wonder you have something to say anytime a supporter critiques a player.

I am not friends with the entire list, only most of them,

.... but I go to the game, yes I groan if we turn it over, I just don't think bagging players achieves anything, no matter what, if you are not good enough you will be found out eventually......at the moment and not sure of the actual number but we have so many players with less than 50 games under their belt, yes there are mistakes, but the only way they will really improve is playing games.........but I am also a believer in having to earn them, at the moment Nicho is in form and has worked on the areas he had to work on, so it is up to him to lose his place in the team.......