Casey Scorpions v Northern Blues

KC from Casey

6 goals to hogan, all class.

I think seeing him run around today, is just perfect way for the demons to let him develop with out the pressure of playing AFL.

I wish all our kids had this chance. Similar to Viney last year.

This is how it should be done.

• Like 1

Big hulk hogan with 6 goals. My six year old wants to put 45 on her jumper!

Put her off till next year and get the BIG ONE

You're going by one game. Guessing you only ever see Casey on TV?

The point about Magner is twofold:

He was elevated for Grimes so only has limited time and still hasn't been selected despite excellent VFL form.

Our culture needs a lot of work, that is crystal clear. We should be rewarding consistent form and encouraging competition for spots. Despite that we continue to select players like Rodan, Nicholson, Blease, Pedersen etc on the back of 1 (and sometimes 0) decent VFL games.

I see what you are saying there, but I think blease and (debatably) Nicholson have more scope for improvement than magner. Magner is definitely a stop-gap the same as Rodan. The thing about Rodan compared to magner is experience and he has been there done that, where as magner probably isn't going to improve from where he is. At least we aren't throwing games at taggert, tynan etc as they clearly aren't ready, where as blease, nicho and bail all have speed, endurance and spread which seems more important than ability to win the ball, which magner has..

20 odd disposals 10 marks and 6 goals for hogan. 10 minutes to go. Strauss Tappy and Pederson been very good also. Magnet Couch Tynan and Taggert solid. Gilies and Davis are HOPELESS at VFL level let alone AFL

Also Barry looks to have so much time when he gets the ball but seems to fade in and out to easily

reading this makes me so happy that tom scully went to GWS

• Like 2

I see what you are saying there, but I think blease and (debatably) Nicholson have more scope for improvement than magner. Magner is definitely a stop-gap the same as Rodan. The thing about Rodan compared to magner is experience and he has been there done that, where as magner probably isn't going to improve from where he is. At least we aren't throwing games at taggert, tynan etc as they clearly aren't ready, where as blease, nicho and bail all have speed, endurance and spread which seems more important than ability to win the ball, which magner has..

I'm really sick of hearing them talk about speed. The "speed" of Rodan, Nicho, and Blease hasn't meant much when they do bugger all. Simple fact is, Magner more than deserves a shot based on form, we're getting smashed in the midfield and losing by 10 goals every week, he can only play til Grimes is back, it's just baffling.

20 odd disposals 10 marks and 6 goals for hogan. 10 minutes to go. Strauss Tappy and Pederson been very good also. Magnet Couch Tynan and Taggert solid. Gilies and Davis are HOPELESS at VFL level let alone AFL

Also Barry looks to have so much time when he gets the ball but seems to fade in and out to easily

Davis hopeless??? Very very harsh.

I understand why Magner is frustrated but you can't ever drop your head. We don't forgive our senior players when they do it, and we shouldn't reward periphery players when they do it.

Neither is Rodan, he just runs around now like a headless chook and looks like he's doing something when he's not.

We have a 10+ year dominate FF on our list in Hogan. Our number 1 priority should be keeping him on our list and making him a life time Demon. There will be many wolves at the door but if we can do this it makes all previous heartache subside.

What a player he is! What do we do with Clark now haha

This a perfect situation for us having Clark whom took Jesse under his wing, when he got to the club at the start of the year.

The prospect of the two big men playing along side each other is great.

Next year with Dawes up forward also, then it takes the heat off Jesse.

Our big man forwards are set.

Now we need that midfield.

Siren and Casey win by 28 points.

Casey Scorpions 3.3.21 6.6.42 10.9.69 13.14.92

Northern Blues 2.0.12 6.0.36 8.5.53 9.10.64

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hogan 6 Best Tapscott 2 Davis Smith Taggert

Northern Blues Warnock Wilson 2 Buckley Laidler Lincoln Mitchell Rowe

Best

Casey Scorpions Hogan Strauss Pedersen Gent Nicholls Tapscott

Northern Blues Meese McInnes Wilson Graham Duigan Carrazzo

Stats: Couch, Magner 27, Nicholls 26, J.Tynan, Strauss 25

• Like 3

I'm really sick of hearing them talk about speed. The "speed" of Rodan, Nicho, and Blease hasn't meant much when they do bugger all. Simple fact is, Magner more than deserves a shot based on form, we're getting smashed in the midfield and losing by 10 goals every week, he can only play til Grimes is back, it's just baffling.

Totally agree, and when we have had a poor midfield and beaten consistently in tackles, possessions and inside 50, makes you wonder why he isn't rewarded. But what do you prefer, short term pain in the hope that blease, nicho Evans etc all develop into solid midfielders, or short term gain and magner takes that spot up.

Seems ridiculous and I don't really have the answer. Especially when we play a contested footy team like the bulldogs, and last week the saints, you'd think we would try to give as much assistance to jones, trengove etc.

On a side note, some of the body language from the Melbourne listed players is bloody good all things considered.

Totally agree, and when we have had a poor midfield and beaten consistently in tackles, possessions and inside 50, makes you wonder why he isn't rewarded. But what do you prefer, short term pain in the hope that blease, nicho Evans etc all develop into solid midfielders, or short term gain and magner takes that spot up.

Seems ridiculous and I don't really have the answer. Especially when we play a contested footy team like the bulldogs, and last week the saints, you'd think we would try to give as much assistance to jones, trengove etc.

On a side note, some of the body language from the Melbourne listed players is bloody good all things considered.

I guess that's the question, what's better for the development of guys like Blease, Nicholson, Evans, Bail, Tappy, Davis etc etc. Is it better to play them at AFL level and expose them to the speed and intensity of it, or better to make them earn games at VFL level against seasoned guys like Magner.

I'm not sure which is better.

Neither is Rodan, he just runs around now like a headless chook and looks like he's doing something when he's not.

That's a little harsh, Some of his stats (inside 50s, tackles, clearances) have been quite solid over the last few weeks. Considering grimes, viney and Evans have been out, who would you have preferred from last years list take that place on this seasons list? Bate? Petterd? Gysberts?

I guess that's the question, what's better for the development of guys like Blease, Nicholson, Evans, Bail, Tappy, Davis etc etc. Is it better to play them at AFL level and expose them to the speed and intensity of it, or better to make them earn games at VFL level against seasoned guys like Magner.

I'm not sure which is better.

Yeah, I think we've been burnt previously gifting games to players who haven't handled the step up. I think the guys like Kent viney and terlich have that aggression and self belief to back themselves early on in an afl game, where as I think taggert, strauss, tynan etc are all still dealing with confidence and body issues.

Still doesn't excuse why magner keeps ticking over big vfl numbers and can't have a sustained run at the top level, yet Byrnes/Rodan do. Must be Byrnes and Rodan can do a lot more with 10 disposals than magner does with 20. Would love an answer!

• Like 1

Watch more than one game before making generalisations like that.

Yeah probably a bit harsh but for 2 big blokes who have been in the system a long time they do t inspire much excitement. Do we pay them to play 150 at Casey before we make a decision.

If Magners future has been decided these boys are gone

Still doesn't excuse why magner keeps ticking over big vfl numbers and can't have a sustained run at the top level

Shane Valenti says hi. As does Pedersen - always stars at this level, but except for occasional flashes, can't put it together consistently at AFL level.

6 goals to hogan, all class.

I think seeing him run around today, is just perfect way for the demons to let him develop with out the pressure of playing AFL.

I wish all our kids had this chance. Similar to Viney last year.

This is how it should be done.

It is the way most sides do it and the reason why their kids come in and play so well, the Swans, Pies, Cats, Eagles, Dockers & Hawks all ease their kids in. Whilst there are exceptions to the norm it is the way things should be done

• Like 1

You're going by one game. Guessing you only ever see Casey on TV?

The point about Magner is twofold:

He was elevated for Grimes so only has limited time and still hasn't been selected despite excellent VFL form.

Our culture needs a lot of work, that is crystal clear. We should be rewarding consistent form and encouraging competition for spots. Despite that we continue to select players like Rodan, Nicholson, Blease, Pedersen etc on the back of 1 (and sometimes 0) decent VFL games.

Thanks Stuie. I have seen Casey three times live this year plus seen Magner play in the pre-season. You obviously judge form by reading how many possessions a player gets. Your comparison of players selected above him proves your lack of understanding. Rodan, Blease and Nicholson have one thing neither of Magner and Couch have, I'll leave you to work it out.

• Like 3

Shane Valenti says hi. As does Pedersen - always stars at this level, but except for occasional flashes, can't put it together consistently at AFL level.

For every Shane Valenti, there is a Michael Barlow. There is Dayne Zorko, there is an Ian Callinan, a Danny Stanley. A lot of blokes who perform at second tier level but don't have the chance until they get a bit older. I've already mentioned Magner earlier in my posts.