Young talent: do NOT trade pick #2

No thankyou - I won't be watching anymore draft videos!

As for using pick 2 - that depends on whether we get another high pick (compensation) and how desperate the club is for immediate results.

I don't think we can say the current FD can't develop talent - name one player that was drafted under Neeld and is skinny?

Unless there is an obvious pick 2 that is a guaranteed great player I would be willing to trade pick 2 for an already good player aged 22-25.

They would be able to come in and have an immediate impact and help out Jones and the young draftees.

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

We'd have to send one of Clark, Hogan or Boyd to CHB then, possibly Hogan to CHB and Clark to the ruck with Boyd and Dawes up forward?? You can't have 4 key forwards and no midfield we'd be better off trading the pick away for a midfielder (if we have two early picks) - Boyd's pick to Brisbane for Rich and a pick (or another fringe midfielder)? There's a few teams in need of a key forward would be interesting to see what midfielders they may have up for grabs. Would be interesting to see whether Port would entertain Wines for Boyd with some steak knives involved.

Just throwing it out there 'Gonzo' and brings up a few possibilities which you've outlined. I think Clark may well end up are no 1 ruck which will give us an extra quality mid straight up.

• Like 2

As for using pick 2 - that depends on whether we get another high pick (compensation) and how desperate the club is for immediate results.

I don't think we can say the current FD can't develop talent - name one player that was drafted under Neeld and is skinny?

Unless there is an obvious pick 2 that is a guaranteed great player I would be willing to trade pick 2 for an already good player aged 22-25.

They would be able to come in and have an immediate impact and help out Jones and the young draftees.

Dom Barry

If there is a player that we could snag at trade time, use it. If the right trade doesn't come up, Luke Dunstan for me.

I don't want to see us panicking over a poor season and trading high picks for seasoned players, like Voss at Brisbane. If we want to be able to match it with the Gold Coast and GWS in the not to distant future we have to back ourselves in to draft high end midfield talent and develop them. I want us to use whatever top picks we have to get the best midfielders available and then try and trade/free agency for older players to add some experience such as a Cross or Corey someone like that.

We should then look at trading our 2nd round pick for a fringe mid such as a Miles from GWS. If Watts wants to go then we must get the best midfield talent for him maybe Rich for Watts could be a possible trade if Brisbane want a forward. I have a feeling Sylvia will stay because in the end we will have more money to offer him.

If we go the youth route at the point end of the draft like many are suggesting, then we will see a bunch of old nqr's also recruited, more rodans and byrnes.

These players will be required to mentor the young draftees and provided seasoned bodies to train against and to advise and to play when the kids need a rest and to provide onfield leadership and example etc.

I don't want to see us panicking over a poor season and trading high picks for seasoned players, like Voss at Brisbane. If we want to be able to match it with the Gold Coast and GWS in the not to distant future we have to back ourselves in to draft high end midfield talent and develop them. I want us to use whatever top picks we have to get the best midfielders available and then try and trade/free agency for older players to add some experience such as a Cross or Corey someone like that.

We should then look at trading our 2nd round pick for a fringe mid such as a Miles from GWS. If Watts wants to go then we must get the best midfield talent for him maybe Rich for Watts could be a possible trade if Brisbane want a forward. I have a feeling Sylvia will stay because in the end we will have more money to offer him.

It's not panicking, it's list management and addressing massive holes in the list. We badly need one or two very good players around the 24-26 mark. If we continue to recruit just youth it will be a long, long time before the younger guys mature and that gap is filled.

• Like 2

Big difference with us and Brisbane too. They tried to roll the dice while they had brown and black still playing and thought they could snare another one on the back of those champions. . We would need bringing in skills and leadership to mentor the youth we already have and to ensure our base efforts are competitive.

A question for everyone who has said "youth, not trade" for our top picks: are you happy with us getting belted every week next year as well while we wait for the kids to develop or do you expect us to improve on field?

• Like 1

Big difference with us and Brisbane too. They tried to roll the dice while they had brown and black still playing and thought they could snare another one on the back of those champions. . We would need bringing in skills and leadership to mentor the youth we already have and to ensure our base efforts are competitive.

A question for everyone who has said "youth, not trade" for our top picks: are you happy with us getting belted every week next year as well while we wait for the kids to develop or do you expect us to improve on field?

We will have some coming through, a couple more top enders will be good for the mix. FA and trade (not draft picks) is for picking up the senior talent not draft picks.

Dom Barry

Considering we got Barry in the mini draft for next year his current form probably isn't a fair assesment of what he will be (physically) next year... particularly considering his age.

However Jimmy Toumpas is a good example.

We chose him over fully built players like Wines whom he is apparently more skilled but physically a development player.

I used to live next door to Dom and he's the complete opposite.

Well, if that's the case I'm in. But we'll have to ween ourselves of skinny, pale runts slowly. I suggest we pick an out and out albino in the third round.

• Like 2

We will have some coming through, a couple more top enders will be good for the mix. FA and trade (not draft picks) is for picking up the senior talent not draft picks.

RE not trading draft picks, you need to give if you want to get in trades. If we have two first round picks due to a PP(probably an end of first round, I can't see then giving us another pick 1) I'd be happy to trade one for a good player (say the end of first round pick for Adams). We would have Hogan and the other first round pick also coming through the draft at the end of the year.

Our medium term problems wont be fixed by getting early draft picks It will be determined entirely by how we develop waht we have

I cannot believe the mindless cargo cultists on this site. Say we get 5 top 20 picks in 2014 What will we do with them

Recent history will show either we will pick dudds or we wont be able or willing to develop them

Our medium term problems wont be fixed by getting early draft picks It will be determined entirely by how we develop waht we have

I cannot believe the mindless cargo cultists on this site. Say we get 5 top 20 picks in 2014 What will we do with them

Recent history will show either we will pick dudds or we wont be able or willing to develop them

We'll get one right oneday.

Considering we got Barry in the mini draft for next year his current form probably isn't a fair assesment of what he will be (physically) next year... particularly considering his age.

We chose him over fully built players like Wines whom he is apparently more skilled but physically a development player.

Actually PJ Barry is 19 and was just part of the deal with Hogan. I think he wouldn't have really been a target of Neeld's if we didn't need another component for the Hogan pick trade considering his size and I reckon he was just spare change for that deal really.

• Like 1

Actually PJ Barry is 19 and was just part of the deal with Hogan. I think he wouldn't have really been a target of Neeld's if we didn't need another component for the Hogan pick trade considering his size and I reckon he was just spare change for that deal really.

Hey, I stand corrected.

I think you've hit the nail on the head re Barry.

Hey, I stand corrected.

I think you've hit the nail on the head re Barry.

I hope he comes along and develops into a player but VFL reserves at 19 doesn't bode well. Reserving judgement at the moment!

• Like 2

Best course of action for the MFC is to ask their current recruiting staff what they would do and then do the opposite.

Best course of action for the MFC is to ask their current recruiting staff what they would do and then do the opposite.

Actually I'd be backing Jason Taylor to know what to do. Even last seasons recruiting has been a step up from the Prendergast years.

• Like 2

Mark Neeld wanted Watts traded for North Melbournes second round draft pick which then would have went to the saints for Farren Ray. All the Melbourne Recruiters and list managers were gobsmacked at Neelds request and every single one of them went against him believing Watts is worth a first round top 10 draft pick.

True fact..

I meant since Neeld and co have come in we haven't had any Cale Morton's or Gysberts'. Every young draftee that has come in under Neeld has added size to their bodies pretty quickly including Barry and Toumpas.

Player like Taggert (Monster), Kent, Viney etc. would never have been the size they are with our old development department. Having said that I am no Neeld fan and would rather go for a guaranteed good young player (22-25) who can come in and have an immediate impact.