The tragedy of it all...

Throughout all my years following the MFC, I've looked forward to the week ahead and our next challenge. Despite the opposition and our relative positions on the ladder, I always headed to a game with a sense of optimism. I'd be optimistic that we'd put in a good showing and excite our supporters. I'd be optimistic that I'd see signs of improvement and the development of our next young star. I'd be optimistic that we'd play with pride and passion. And I'd be optimistic that we could win the game.

Yet things have changed in the Neeld era. We've gone so far backwards that the optimism and hope - the things that keep the fire burning for us all - have gone. We've been conditioned to accept 'competitiveness' and not victory as the measure of success. Rather than look forward to the week ahead, I now enter each weekend full of dread - knowing that the result is a given, it's just a matter of how big the losing margin will be.

As a long time supporter, I feel robbed that the entity I feel so passionate about has been so badly managed, that it can't even deliver hope. And if I feel that way as a supporter, you can imagine how some of the young players coming through must feel. Things have to change, and fast.

Edited by Swooper Northey
  • Like 5

Totally agree swoop. I shudder all week before a game and watch as the team never looks a chance. Neeld expects us to celebrate small events but the overall result is never in doubt and the final losing margin seems to depend on our opponent's accuracy. A good loss (one that seems to satisfy the inept one) happens when they miss a lot, as richmond did.

• Like 1

Throughout all my years following the MFC, I've looked forward to the week ahead and our next challenge. Despite the opposition and our relative positions on the ladder, I always headed to a game with a sense of optimism. I'd be optimistic that we'd put in a good showing and excite our supporters. I'd be optimistic that I'd see signs of improvement and the development of our next young star. I'd be optimistic that we'd play with pride and passion. And I'd be be optimistic that we could win the game.

Yet things have changed in the Neeld era. We've gone so far backwards that the optimism and hope - the things that keep the fire burning for us all - has gone. We've been conditioned to accept 'competitiveness' and not victory as the measure of success. Rather than look forward to the week ahead, I now enter each weekend full of dread - knowing that the result is a given, it's just a matter of how big the losing margin will be.

As a long time supporter, I feel robbed that the entity I feel so passionate about has been so badly managed, that it can't even deliver hope. And if I feel that way as a supporter, you can imagine how some of the young players coming through must feel. Things have to change, and fast.

I agree but to be honest Swooper, there are a boatload of these threads already on the 'Land. There are two extremes on here. There is the Satyriconhome/Doctor Who style posters who think that the dynasty is just around the corner if it hasn't started already and then there are those who are just negative for the sake of it. That's not your intention but every time one of these navel gazing style posts goes up, it does encourage those who hate everything about the club (even the times when we have been relatively successful!) I know that you are hurting (as am I) but there are plenty of posts on here that already go along those lines.

Edited by Guest

Just my thoughts on a Saturday arvo. I felt it necessary to write as throughout my many decades following this club, I'd be jumping out of my skin the day before a game. The hope just isn't there and for me that is the tragedy of it all. Simple as that.

Throughout all my years following the MFC, I've looked forward to the week ahead and our next challenge. Despite the opposition and our relative positions on the ladder, I always headed to a game with a sense of optimism. I'd be optimistic that we'd put in a good showing and excite our supporters. I'd be optimistic that I'd see signs of improvement and the development of our next young star. I'd be optimistic that we'd play with pride and passion. And I'd be be optimistic that we could win the game.

Yet things have changed in the Neeld era. We've gone so far backwards that the optimism and hope - the things that keep the fire burning for us all - has gone. We've been conditioned to accept 'competitiveness' and not victory as the measure of success. Rather than look forward to the week ahead, I now enter each weekend full of dread - knowing that the result is a given, it's just a matter of how big the losing margin will be.

Like your post Swoop - it is obviously from the heart and, I reckon, echoes the thoughts of many here. Has similar been said before? Yes. But so what? The more voices the better IMO. If we are not making a noise we are dead.

• Like 2

I suggest we all try being GWS supporters instead. There we'll find 'competitiveness' is more than enough - just listen to the commentary on the Fox broadcast where endless excuses are given for the youth of the team. The entire commentary is one long inflating of their tyres and is presumably designed to build or keep support in NSW in the face of constant drubbings. (Sorry to suggest a conspiracy between Fox and the AFL, but living in NSW I hear it every week no other poor team would get that sort of commentary.)

Yet we don't hear endless calls to sack their coach.

So what is the difference between them and us? The usual one trotted out is that they are 'new' and we are 'old, so expectation is higher. But in this modern era when footy is a business, traditional matters little. And the GWS has been given the red carpet treatment by the AFL, desperate to build a second Sydney team. Alternatively it's said that we have had more time to come good. True. But we didn't. So I can't see how the current FD is to blame if they have to start over - pretty much in the same boat as GWS (but minus the AFL support).

If you want to feel better, watch Fox on GWS and imagine they are talking about the MFC. :unsure:

• Like 2

Well, to use Neeld's own words, "it is what it is."

With that being the case, do you feel optimistic against Freo?

No, SN, I don't, but I'm still looking forward to the game.

Freo (at this stage) are a better team.

But, I'll watch M Jones do some hard running, I reckon Tappy will roughen up Crowley, I hope Dawes kicks three or four, etc etc.

We're all hurting.

• Like 2

No, SN, I don't, but I'm still looking forward to the game.

Freo (at this stage) are a better team.

But, I'll watch M Jones do some hard running, I reckon Tappy will roughen up Crowley, I hope Dawes kicks three or four, etc etc.

We're all hurting.

I'll put $20.00 on Melb - in the hope.

I'll watch the game unless (until ?) it turns ugly.

But looking forward to it? Can't say I am.

In fact my interest in footy ATM is at an all time low.

• Like 2

Know the feeling mate......

Grew up in the 70s felt the same way as a kid that Melb would never play finals or win a flag!

The 80s came & there was hope with Norhey & then 90s with Balme & Daniher went into 00s........

This guy now has divided & conquered to the point that all of our senior players have left & now our younger ones want to leave!

Thanks Mr Neeld for the hope you give our members & supporters!

Edited by dees64
  • Like 2

I suggest we all try being GWS supporters instead. There we'll find 'competitiveness' is more than enough - just listen to the commentary on the Fox broadcast where endless excuses are given for the youth of the team. The entire commentary is one long inflating of their tyres and is presumably designed to build or keep support in NSW in the face of constant drubbings. (Sorry to suggest a conspiracy between Fox and the AFL, but living in NSW I hear it every week no other poor team would get that sort of commentary.)

Yet we don't hear endless calls to sack their coach.

So what is the difference between them and us? The usual one trotted out is that they are 'new' and we are 'old, so expectation is higher. But in this modern era when footy is a business, traditional matters little. And the GWS has been given the red carpet treatment by the AFL, desperate to build a second Sydney team. Alternatively it's said that we have had more time to come good. True. But we didn't. So I can't see how the current FD is to blame if they have to start over - pretty much in the same boat as GWS (but minus the AFL support).

If you want to feel better, watch Fox on GWS and imagine they are talking about the MFC. :unsure:

Yet their coach, an experienced coach, one who many wanted to coach us, isn't enjoying any success.

Had these had their wish, and senile Kev was coaching us, and the results were similar to what we are having now, would they bag the board for appointing a "has been" and called for "new blood"????

• Like 1

Know the feeling mate......

Grew up in the 70s felt the same way as a kid that Melb would never play finals or win a flag!

The 80s came & there was hope with Norhey & then 90s with Balme & Daniher went into 00s........

This guy now has divided & conquered to the point that all of our senior players have left & now our younger ones want to leave!

Thanks Mr Neeld for the hope you give our members & supporters!

Oh, for goodness sake!

• Like 1

Yet their coach, an experienced coach, one who many wanted to coach us, isn't enjoying any success.

Had these had their wish, and senile Kev was coaching us, and the results were similar to what we are having now, would they bag the board for appointing a "has been" and called for "new blood"????

Experienced coach or the younger breed, I don't really care. I just want the mess we're in cleaned up, so that we can restore respect and above all else, hope. If we don't have hope we're gone.

Oh, for goodness sake!

Payed up member 16yrs......our club is a train wreck

Face the facts.......our development & recruiting since 08 has been deplorable!

Go and ask Rivers,Moloney,Green, what they think of Neeld

Go ask Mclean about why he left

Get your head out of the sand!

• Like 1

Payed up member 16yrs......our club is a train wreck

Face the facts.......our development & recruiting since 08 has been deplorable!

Go and ask Rivers,Moloney,Green, what they think of Neeld

Go ask Mclean about why he left

Get your head out of the sand!

Paid up member for longer, but this is not a pissing contest.

Agree that recruiting for several years has been deplorable, but that was a previous administration.

Neeld is learning, too.

I'm more interested in what Howe, Terlich, Dawes, Clark, Hogan, Trengove, Grimes, Viney, Joneses think about Neeld.

• Like 2

Paid up member for longer, but this is not a pissing contest.

Agree that recruiting for several years has been deplorable, but that was a previous administration.

Neeld is learning, too.

I'm more interested in what Howe, Terlich, Dawes, Clark, Hogan, Trengove, Grimes, Viney, Joneses think about Neeld.

That is the problem..Neeld is learning.

Let him learn somewhere else.

The MFC needs somebody who has already learnt.

The job is to big.

• Like 5

That is the problem..Neeld is learning.

Let him learn somewhere else.

The MFC needs somebody who has already learnt.

The job is to big.

Spot on. We need someone who is ready from moment dot. No more touchy feely stuff. We need someone with a record of building clubs and who is hard but fair.

We can't go with another rookie. We've said it before and it can get tedious but the next 12 months are key to the survival of the club. I can remember one person saying that Neeld will either save or destroy the club at the moment, it is the former but there is still a pulse. Get that defibrillator on the chest before we are administering the last rites (ironic cos we have mostly been a Proddy club).

The job is too big?

That's why he's getting support.

Changing the coach is not the answer.

I'm very tired......

You are happy with our situation?

The heat was always going to be on Neeld during his 2nd year.

So far he has not cut it. Simple

• Like 1