Luke Tapscott - Another one of BP's Specials?

olisik

I tend to think he has been badly developed. After 4 years no one knows where he should be playing. He has had some bad injuries which do not help. The bigest problem IMO opinion is his attitude. Seems to think the game is all about cheap shots. Too many times I get the impression he likes to get to a contest a fraction late and clean up his oponent rather than making the ball his primary focus or laying a proper tackle. He has made himself a marked man and in his recent games he has been cleaned up more often than he dishes out. If someone like Ross Lyon was coaching him he would be a much better focused player with a definitive role.

Actually he was cleaned up last year mid-season with a huge head high hit. Can't recall the opponent but saw him the next day and he still looked like he was getting over it.

You might be right about the slightly late arrival. He does look for physicality but that can be a good thing particularly for us. But your point about lack of intent on the ball is interesting.

I tend to think he has been badly developed. After 4 years no one knows where he should be playing. He has had some bad injuries which do not help. The bigest problem IMO opinion is his attitude. Seems to think the game is all about cheap shots. Too many times I get the impression he likes to get to a contest a fraction late and clean up his oponent rather than making the ball his primary focus or laying a proper tackle. He has made himself a marked man and in his recent games he has been cleaned up more often than he dishes out. If someone like Ross Lyon was coaching him he would be a much better focused player with a definitive role.

I don't agree he intentional gets there late, I think he is slow to react and doesn't have any speed which makes him late. The problem is we know where he should be playing he just can't play there, he needs to be a midfielder, he isn't a small forward, he isn't a small defender he needs to be running through the midfield. This is the same issues with Jetta, Dean Kent needs over the next 12 months be able to run through the midfield. You can't be a slow lead up small forward when you are under 6'1.

I don't agree he intentional gets there late, I think he is slow to react and doesn't have any speed which makes him late. The problem is we know where he should be playing he just can't play there, he needs to be a midfielder, he isn't a small forward, he isn't a small defender he needs to be running through the midfield. This is the same issues with Jetta, Dean Kent needs over the next 12 months be able to run through the midfield. You can't be a slow lead up small forward when you are under 6'1.

Absolutely!! If he can't at least get his tank up to a level to be a decent in and under midfielder who floats forward then I really don't see what he brings to the table. He is nowhere near quick enough for a small forward and not tall enough to just play as a lead up forward. I really hope the next coach tells him to work his A$$ off to play midfield a lot more.

Considering Tapscott is a player with a lot of weaknesses, it's pretty funny that you're moaning about his one strength as if it's a weakness.

Craig seems to prefer medium/smalls and flankers with pace. If you are not quick you need to be a very good accumulator and user to get a game.

He may well be correct and as Tapscott is none of the above it looks bleak for him

Would Luke Tapscott appeal to another team as trade bait?

I would love to hang on to him but i don't see how he fits into the team, he can put on a good bump, but with watts and howe we have no room for him on the hff

and he is not quick or does not have the engine to be an inside mid.

Does not get the ball very often might be a good start!

True and he is not the only small/mid size player who has the same problem. He and his mate Trengove make a good matching pair of book ends at the moment. But this relates back to my original point. His agression lacks focus. Too conscious of his oponent rather than the ball.

Edited by america de cali

True and he is not the only small/mid size player who has the same problem. He and his mate Trengove make a good matching pair of book ends at the moment. But this relates back to my original point. His agression lacks focus. Too conscious of his oponent rather than the ball.

Jack has been good over the past 3 weeks getting 20+ touches, Trengove can play, he just can't accelerate at the moment. Tappy is built for contested footy but he rarely gets near a contest, and doesn't work hard enough. As a defender you would love to play on Tappy, he doesn't have the speed to chase, we doesn't work hard enough to get front and square and he doesn't have the running capacity to go on long leads. He is the one trick pony short lead with a long kick. If you don't have natural speed you have to be able to run and run and run, Tappy can't do either and until he can he will be a very limited AFL player.

Jack has been good over the past 3 weeks getting 20+ touches, Trengove can play, he just can't accelerate at the moment. Tappy is built for contested footy but he rarely gets near a contest, and doesn't work hard enough. As a defender you would love to play on Tappy, he doesn't have the speed to chase, we doesn't work hard enough to get front and square and he doesn't have the running capacity to go on long leads. He is the one trick pony short lead with a long kick. If you don't have natural speed you have to be able to run and run and run, Tappy can't do either and until he can he will be a very limited AFL player.

I do recall he had satisfactory pace and work ethic untill he did that very bad hammy against the Saints in 2011. Maybe he has not fully recovered yet. His once sublime long kicking was also affected by that injury. And Trengove's problem is not "at the moment". Its been there for over a year

Edited by america de cali

I do recall he had satisfactory pace and work ethic untill he did that very bad hammy against the Saints in 2011. Maybe he has not fully recovered yet. His once sublime long kicking was also affected by that injury. And Trengove's problem is not "at the moment". Its been there for over a year

Heading towards two years in fact