Brock McLean article - "Tackling footy's silence on gays"

pitchfork

Tackling footy's silence on gays

Damn, I really didn't want a reason to like Brock McLean.

There is no doubt that Brock lacks tact, class, perhaps brains, and in the last twelve months has emerged as a true MFC villain.

From a footballing perspective his departure was a sad one. His early years showed much promise, but in '08 and '09 he resembled a lame horse. Regardless of what's happened with the Gys, we won that trade.

Which brings me to the article - and I don't want to write too much about it. Brock is no angel, but this articulation of the issue really hits the mark. Everybody in the community daily comes into contact with Homosexuals, and most everybody has a friend, family, colleague who is gay. This is a 'non-issue' issue which the AFL is being uncharacteristically retrograde on. It's just unfortunate that some individual (being the first to 'come out') has to be quite brave regarding something that is for many in the end unremarkable.

some quotes:

''There's still that fear of being an outcast. I saw that with my sister and that's really sad because people shouldn't have to live with a secret as big as that. That silence can have a huge effect on them mentally.''

''The AFL's the biggest sport in Australia. They're in a powerful position to promote equality and treating everyone the same regardless of whether they're gay or straight. They're dipping their toe in with this issue but really they need to put their whole body in.''

I still dislike you Brock.

Edited by Nasher
Edited title
  • Like 4

Good story and I fully agree with his stance. The fact that it is still something that needs to "come out" shows that we've got a long way to go in our society in regards to acceptance. I look forward to the day when homosexuality (or any-sexuality) is not some big secret we need to muster up the courage to tell our family and friends.

• Like 7

Not only is this a good story but it remains a possibility that Brock left the Dees because he needed a change and he was dis heartened by the goings on at the club.

He possibly thought that what he said on the couch was no different to what had been suggested by DB, and effectively ignored by the AFL, at the time of Baileys very unfortunate scapegoating experience.

• Like 1

Good story and I fully agree with his stance. The fact that it is still something that needs to "come out" shows that we've got a long way to go in our society in regards to acceptance. I look forward to the day when homosexuality (or any-sexuality) is not some big secret we need to muster up the courage to tell our family and friends.

you piqued my decidedly lascivious curiosity nasher

just what did you have in mind with "or any-sexuality" in the context of a big secret?

^^ This, perfectly said. Being gay myself I totally agree with this, the whole coming out process was difficult and stressful, I can't wait for the day when society accepts differences in peoples lives. Also, disliked Brock Mclean for what he did to the MFC, but am really impressed how he has tackled this issue and is now coming out in support of gay people even by marching along side Jason Ball in the pride march next week is an amazing sign of support. Much respect to him for that!! Maybe our Brock is growing up and the storm after his comments on tanking has made him realise the important things in life? I am sure he has been extremely caught up in this whole saga as well, having an effect on his life.

• Like 6

^^ This, perfectly said. Being gay myself I totally agree with this, the whole coming out process was difficult and stressful, I can't wait for the day when society accepts differences in peoples lives. Also, disliked Brock Mclean for what he did to the MFC, but am really impressed how he has tackled this issue and is now coming out in support of gay people even by marching along side Jason Ball in the pride march next week is an amazing sign of support. Much respect to him for that!! Maybe our Brock is growing up and the storm after his comments on tanking has made him realise the important things in life? I am sure he has been extremely caught up in this whole saga as well, having an effect on his life.

DemonDan can I ask you ... as a gay person, do you think it's harder for a male or female to 'come out'? As an outsider it seems to me there is less stigma to lesbians doing so and therefore it is comparatively more easy for them. Would you say that's true?

This topic is one big bore for me.

I couldn't care if you're hetero, homo, bi, or asexual. I don't want gay rounds. I don't want the AFL to be a moral police with their green agenda. I don't want messages shoved down my throat. I don't want any player encouraged to come out and be a poster boy. They can please their bloody selves. If they want to come out great, not that I'd give a stuff. I couldn't care less either way.

• Like 6

DemonDan can I ask you ... as a gay person, do you think it's harder for a male or female to 'come out'? As an outsider it seems to me there is less stigma to lesbians doing so and therefore it is comparatively more easy for them. Would you say that's true?

Hmm interesting question, as a gay guy I do feel that lesbians are more accepted because straight guys accept it more, whereas there is more of a stigma to being a gay guy. I have lesbian friends who have said it was still tough for them though, which is understandable. Probably why gay guys have lots of girls as friends, I think it just feels less threatening to them. I hope that sort of answers your question.

I couldn't care if you're hetero, homo, bi, or asexual. I don't want gay rounds. I don't want the AFL to be a moral police with their green agenda. I don't want messages shoved down my throat. I don't want any player encouraged to come out and be a poster boy. They can please their bloody selves. If they want to come out great, not that I'd give a stuff. I couldn't care less either way.

That's great and if the whole of society had your attitude we wouldn't need to bring it to peoples attention tbh because if people didn't give a stuff then there wouldn't be all the stigma attached to it. I think it's more about educating the wider community rather then having one sole role model and if you have an influential organisation the message gets to the masses. It's all good and well, I could start a campaign myself but my message would take a lot longer to get out there, so if you can use an organisation like the AFL to educate then where is the harm in that. To build that society we speak of we need to educate the youth, they are our future.

• Like 2

One of my son's friends recently "came out" to his family and they promptly disowned him and never want to see him again, they said as far as they are concerned he's dead to them. His brother and sister are ok with it but his Old School Sicilian parents will never accept it.

Guest José Mourinho

I don't want rather innocuous messages shoved down my throat, but I think the AFL is capable of being a vehicle for great social change.

If it's capable of doing this sort of good, why not? I'd say the AFL is obliged to and has a responsibility to do it for society's sake.

Life's tough, yeah, but there is a lot of injustice that could be prevented, and I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

• Like 1

Hmm interesting question, as a gay guy I do feel that lesbians are more accepted because straight guys accept it more, whereas there is more of a stigma to being a gay guy. I have lesbian friends who have said it was still tough for them though, which is understandable. Probably why gay guys have lots of girls as friends, I think it just feels less threatening to them. I hope that sort of answers your question.

It does, thanks. I have to say I quite like lesbians, particularly the bisexual ones. Yowee!

• Like 1

Lets just sweep it under the rug it's easier that way, isn't it? Ever had to deal with someone that's gay and has been beaten up for it or discriminated against because if it?

Probably not, and if you did you wouldn't be interested anyway.

Lets just sweep it under the rug it's easier that way, isn't it? Ever had to deal with someone that's gay and has been beaten up for it or discriminated against because if it?

Probably not, and if you did you wouldn't be interested anyway.

People's sexuality has no interest for me. It's not about "sweeping it under the rug", although I'm also not interested in people "shouting it from the rooftops". As I said, I'm not interested either way.

Guest José Mourinho

One of my son's friends recently "came out" to his family and they promptly disowned him and never want to see him again, they said as far as they are concerned he's dead to them. His brother and sister are ok with it but his Old School Sicilian parents will never accept it.

That's horrible, and I have no qualms saying that they are clearly horrible people.

Guest José Mourinho

Yet intriguingly it was considered an 'interesting question' and answered thoughtfully so by the one person on here who should know!

There's no intrigue. I can understand why he responded like that.

But what a bloody stupid question...

Guest José Mourinho

People's sexuality has no interest for me. It's not about "sweeping it under the rug", although I'm also not interested in people "shouting it from the rooftops". As I said, I'm not interested either way.

I feel the same.

But I feel strongly against the persecution of someone because of their sexual orientation, and if AFL footy has the power to change that, I can't see a valid reason why they wouldn't make the effort.

• Like 3