FA compensation

rpfc

Exactly. Why are people not seeing this?? The compensation was always going to be largely determined by the FA's new contract. This is not a surprise.

What it tells us is Rivers and Moloney must be on peanuts at their new clubs and Byrnes is on some pretty decent coin.

Don't think $350K per year for each, as has been stated in the press is peanuts. We surely are not playing a guy who played 2 games this year $350K.

You are right we might not have got him. We on the other hand might have got compensated better had we waited and then taken him. IMO, I thought we should have waited before taking him.

no. based on how they did the compos we would have got 49 + 50 instead of 49

therefore effectively 50 for byrnes was ok

nothing worth crying over here

• Like 3

Guest Shirt Front

no. based on how they did the compos we would have got 49 + 50 instead of 49

therefore effectively 50 for byrnes was ok

nothing worth crying over here

I do not agree, pick 49 was given as compensation for the loss of Riv and Maloney. Had we not taken Byrnes early, I think we would have been better compensated for them and possibly waited until the end of trade week or PSD for Byrnes.

That's an interesting and unfortunate question.

I don't know how the AFL compensate clubs following the death of a player.

No they don't get any compo and nor did we when we lost Troy.

If I recall correctly, we got a late (post draft) pick when Broady passed away in 2004. We used it to recruit Shannon Motlop.

Technically no, but Port didn't match the price.... so Chaplin was obviously snagged for a good contract, Pearce was 4 years wasn't it? our two were 2 yr contracts. Moloney would have got stuff all from Brisbane.

But the question remains why do they get two second rounders and not 1? It is clearly a handout to a struggling club.

• Like 1

I do not agree, pick 49 was given as compensation for the loss of Riv and Maloney. Had we not taken Byrnes early, I think we would have been better compensated for them and possibly waited until the end of trade week or PSD for Byrnes.

Port got two picks for two players. There is no bundling of compensation. We would have got two crappy picks.

Stop navel gazing. We didn't screw up, the AFL didn't think the comp through and that is that.

It's there for the players anyway. Frankly, I am a bit surprised that there was only about three players that their clubs were sorry to see go.

I made make some changes and keep compo but it is good that blokes like Moloney and Byrnes can have some control over where they go next.

• Like 1

Guest Shirt Front

But the question remains why do they get two second rounders and not 1? It is clearly a handout to a struggling club.

And we are not struggling? The AFL must be sick of giving handouts to MFC and them doing nothing with them due to a complete lack of competency.

Port got two picks for two players. There is no bundling of compensation. We would have got two crappy picks.

Stop navel gazing. We didn't screw up, the AFL didn't think the comp through and that is that.

It's there for the players anyway. Frankly, I am a bit surprised that there was only about three players that their clubs were sorry to see go.

I made make some changes and keep compo but it is good that blokes like Moloney and Byrnes can have some control over where they go next.

I think the clubs that pick up free agents should receive some sort of penalty, as you say the free agency is for the players benefit not the clubs. It would be interesting to see how many of the players would have been picked up if the clubs had to pay for them.

Would Essendon pay their second pick in the draft if that was the cost of Goddard?

I think the clubs that pick up free agents should receive some sort of penalty, as you say the free agency is for the players benefit not the clubs. It would be interesting to see how many of the players would have been picked up if the clubs had to pay for them.

Would Essendon pay their second pick in the draft if that was the cost of Goddard?

It is an interesting idea but I am more in favour of comp picks given rather than the transferring of picks between clubs or the using of picks (ala F/S selection).

However, for those that wish to keep the 'integrity' of the draft - this would be the way to do it.

Guest Shirt Front

Stop blaming the AFL and self-assess, you might see the world in a different light.

Stop blaming the AFL and self-assess, you might see the world a little differently.

What does that even mean?

Is this ADC or hardnut by any chance?

Not many can be so obtuse while seemingly accusing someone of not understanding things they themselves obviously struggle with...

Guest Shirt Front

What does that even mean?

Is this ADC or hardnut by any chance?

Not many can be so obtuse while seemingly accusing someone of not understanding things they themselves obviously struggle with...

Poor assessment rpfc. Incapable of looking at the situation as it truly is.

It is an interesting idea but I am more in favour of comp picks given rather than the transferring of picks between clubs or the using of picks (ala F/S selection).

However, for those that wish to keep the 'integrity' of the draft - this would be the way to do it.

I worded that incorrectly, what I meant was the club, Essendon, would forego their pick not that it would go to the Saints.

As it is at the moment, all clubs suffer by their picks going back one and the club that gets the player really does it free of cost.

Essendon pick up a former number one and a very good player for nothing.

You are right we might not have got him. We on the other hand might have got compensated better had we waited and then taken him. IMO, I thought we should have waited before taking him.

if it was considered that Byrnes and Moloney cancelled out then it's a near certainty that if we'd have just received another pick like the one we'd got, and furthermore we'd have risked not actually landing Byrnes. Your reasoning that we'd have gotten two higher picks instead of one crap one doesn't make any sense

at all.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

The AFL hasn’t Fcuk this up, we have. The Dees have made a mess of this trade period. The AFL hand us some nice compo picks for Scully and essentially we have given one away/lost one. We took Byrnes way to early!!! Had we waited our compensation for Maloney and Rivers departure would be first round not third round. Cats, Bulldogs, Collingwood have all nailed it. These continued drafting mistakes at Melbourne need to stop.

I like this post purely for comedic value.

Poor assessment rpfc. Incapable of looking at the situation as it truly is. Go back to the filth where you came from.

Ok, this is ADC.

I am going to ignore him, however I am not going to tell anyone whether they should do the same. I am certain that others will find his contributions...oh, f___ it... just ignore him.

• Like 1

We didn't with Troy Broadbridge

I think you might be confusing posts jnr. ..... and I reckon we did get compensation when we lost Troy. See post #154

Because they lost two players.

So did the Hawks and one was and the other one nearly was in the GF side. Both have been offered contracts by other clubs. Young's was clearly a good one and superior to the Hawks offer. Also I would bet that Young's is more than Chaplin and Pearce's.

Edited by Redleg

Guest Shirt Front

I like this post purely for comedic value.

What is so funny about someone having their own opinion? Tell us 'Oh wise one' what you think so we can all have a good laugh.

Good system isnt it.

Scrap it. Free agency is free agency....swings and roundabouts.

Im not too surprised and the picks. Seems a very arbitrary way to allow the AFL to play god.

• Like 1

Good system isnt it.

Scrap it. Free agency is free agency....swings and roundabouts.

Im not too surprised and the picks. Seems a very arbitrary way to allow the AFL to play god.

Exactly the rules should be announced prior to the free agency not tailor made after it. What a bizarre way to run a competition; it's like having a raffle and telling the winners and participants what the prizes are after the drawing of the results.