Applaud Swans Board & Footy Department

dees64

Just watched Swans President who had a crack at the Eagles after they won the 06 flag & then bottomed out & got early picks including priority pick.

He said the Swans have too much pride & strong culture to go down that path, & worked very hard after retirements from senior players after 05 flag era, to find players who could be developed from existing clubs.

Longmire also said that senior players in leadership group set the std for younger & new players coming into club.

This is how you set Culture!

MFC take note there is no easy way out with early picks!

• Like 2

Just watched Swans President who had a crack at the Eagles after they won the 06 flag & then bottomed out & got early picks including priority pick.

He said the Swans have too much pride & strong culture to go down that path, & worked very hard after retirements from senior players after 05 flag era, to find players who could be developed from existing clubs.

Longmire also said that senior players in leadership group set the std for younger & new players coming into club.

Ok-I think we know that now.

Guest José Mourinho

It works, but I think it works reliant upon the incompetence of clubs like MFC who simply SHOULD have the resources (picks) to outperform the swans.

There certainly isn't when you make the wrong selections, like we have done.

There certainly isn't when you make the wrong selections, like we have done.

Very true!....but my point of all this is the culture & hard work of the Swans & I believe that we tried to take the easy way out & the wrong culture was set with the previous footy dept

Seems to be the flavour of the month to blame the lack of ideal culture at the club squarely on to the players. Like blamiing kids for being useless and no good when the problem is almost always bad parenting. Those responsible for fostering ideal culture reside at the top levels of the club. The players are the easy way out for an intrenched incompetant administration and board to save their positions They created these problems by implementing a disastorus recruiting and development strategy and lost the respect and loyalty of the players. Who can blame them if they think this club sucks?

These sins are not forgivable yet apologists say that these are just mistakes that won't happen again. Now we have those who have helped foster a pathethic culture of mediocrity trying to reinvent themselves as the new champions who will change it. The players are as much victims as is the soul of the club. "Stands for nothing" is quite an accurate statement for the current woes of this club. IMO the bones of our list and the Swans are not much different sans Adam Goodes. Shame on us big time.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Culture of the playing group (which is what we are really discussing) is a product of all facets of the club, but the most influential are the playing group (particularly the leadership group) and the coaching department.

It's not rocket science.

Culture of the playing group (which is what we are really discussing) is a product of all facets of the club, but the most influential are the playing group (particularly the leadership group) and the coaching department.

It's not rocket science.

There you go, blaming the players again for poor club leadership and a footbal department that had to forgo playing genuine football from orders of above for more than two seasons. Blame the kids for having dropkick parents. BTW, can you name those other facets and identify which we should get rid of first?

Unfortunately culture is not created in a season. The Swans have been nurturing and developing theirs for almost two decades, and as some players said after the GF they owe part of their success to those previous Swans players who nurtured and inoculated them in the Swans culture (i.e. Kirk, Kelly etc...).

Unfortunately the culture building process at MFC will take time. However, Neeld, Craig, the Jacks, Jones , Clark all seem to be committed to crafting it well and with the right values to generate success in Sept...

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

I don't underestimate the enormity of Melbourne's recruiting disasters. In my previous names of juddcomehometomfc & turnthemover on Demonology I was Neale Daniher's Craig Cameron's & Barry Prendergasts greatest critics. I actually wrote to the MFC telling them in advance what a disaster it would be to recruit Byron Pickett etc etc. I regularly cast criticism at all the Craig Cameron sycophants on Demonology and they know who they are.

However, please don't underestimate the enormity of the extra $1 million dollars the Swans have in their Salary Cap. Very easy to bring prise a Josh Kennedy out of Hawthorn and speculate on a talented but risky Mitch Morton etc etc etc when you have an extra $1 million.

• Like 1

I don't underestimate the enormity of Melbourne's recruiting disasters. In my previous names of juddcomehometomfc & turnthemover on Demonology I was Neale Daniher's Craig Cameron's & Barry Prendergasts greatest critics. I actually wrote to the MFC telling them in advance what a disaster it would be to recruit Byron Pickett etc etc. I regularly cast criticism at all the Craig Cameron sycophants on Demonology and they know who they are.

However, please don't underestimate the enormity of the extra $1 million dollars the Swans have in their Salary Cap. Very easy to bring prise a Josh Kennedy out of Hawthorn and speculate on a talented but risky Mitch Morton etc etc etc when you have an extra $1 million.

correct.

But we just have to be smarter & better.

This is why i do not have a problem with the club fund raising as some on here do.

We need all the money we can get to help get a top list to join us.

Not paper baags, but the best people and facilities.

Guest José Mourinho

There you go, blaming the players again for poor club leadership and a footbal department that had to forgo playing genuine football from orders of above for more than two seasons. Blame the kids for having dropkick parents. BTW, can you name those other facets and identify which we should get rid of first?

Hahaha you're the one claiming it is not the players' fault!

You can name the facets yourself and explain to us why you think they are more culpable.

I won't be holding my breath though.

I've wasted too much time in the past reading your posts.

I've made my point, but I have no desire to engage in a discussion with you.

There are plenty of old threads on this forum you can go back and read through.

This our problem not wanting to accept that our recruiting & culture @ our club has been a disgrace!

Stop defending poor results!

We need look forward & Lets hope current coaching staff & footy dept sets the right culture!

If anyone needs further proof of how good the Swans are look at the Herald Sun & shows all the playing list draft numbers

Mcveigh pick 5 in 02 & Bolton pick 8 in 98, Jetta 14 in 09

Only 2 picks top 10 in 14Yrs!

You can name the facets yourself and explain to us why you think they are more culpable.

Well thanks for reading anyway. MacLardy, Schwab and Connolly and Gary Lyon's shadow could go for starters. I'd give Neeld, Craig and the rest of FD a chance. They have been given the poison chalice which masks any ability or lack of they may have.

As for you. I know it would be hard to top this years disaster but if by any chance we are worse next year you will no doubt claim we are still on track and label posters as idiots who suggest things are not going so well as is your usual form.

Edited by america de cali

The old "do it yourself, and here's a few insults, because I've got nothing to back it up" reply... © Demonland

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Considering it's a subjective judgment, yes, probably.

And I dare say I'd be correct.

I hardly think this year was as bad as some say. Depends on what KPIs you are using to judge the year by.

But I quite enjoyed some aspects.

I guess it also depends on your judgment of where we were, where we are and where we are headed.

Or at least, that's what the concept means to me.

Guest José Mourinho

The old "do it yourself, and here's a few insults, because I've got nothing to back it up" reply... © Demonland

Are you serious? He was asking me to make his own argument for him.

The rest was just an honest appraisal of how I see it and regard him, i.e. don't expect that I'll respond to every post or in a timely fashion.

IMO early picks are OK, but the Environment the kids enter into is the Key.

Our bottoming out was essential IMO, as our club had let our list & finances into peril.

We couldn't afford to buy/get players & couldn't afford player development & sports science, & didn't have any facilities.

We still don't have Inclusive supporter facilities to create that 'Inclusiveness' of a home. No wonder our culture is non existent.

When soldiers go to War,,, they need a Real cause to get involved with, not a fist full of dollars from wealthy business types. That isn't what motivates soldiers to risk they're very existence.

It's love that motivates, & creates a harmony & communal togetherness. The type to fight for.

Considering it's a subjective judgment, yes, probably.

And I dare say I'd be correct.

I hardly think this year was as bad as some say. Depends on what KPIs you are using to judge the year by.

But I quite enjoyed some aspects.

I guess it also depends on your judgment of where we were, where we are and where we are headed.

Or at least, that's what the concept means to me.

http://youtu.be/dZkjo3mNmsA

• Like 1

Unfortunately culture is not created in a season. The Swans have been nurturing and developing theirs for almost two decades, and as some players said after the GF they owe part of their success to those previous Swans players who nurtured and inoculated them in the Swans culture (i.e. Kirk, Kelly etc...).

Unfortunately the culture building process at MFC will take time. However, Neeld, Craig, the Jacks, Jones , Clark all seem to be committed to crafting it well and with the right values to generate success in Sept...

IMO the Swans Culture started to change after the players who where 'bought & shipped' to the Private 'Swans' Enterprise , abandoned that ship & headed blue.

Players fought, & rats deserted, the Swans nosedive.

Enter RDBarassi on a mission from HQ. Enter some discipline & some self respect & a new belief that the club could be something.

With backs to the wall, The quality people who remained started to build something. Something that meant something. They Stood! for something, & made it strong.

Goodd things grow from small but strong ideals.

• Like 2

Many mistakes at many levels have been made at the MFC over a long period.

Yesterday proved that.

I will not listen to excuses anymore. Just fix it or leave. From board to players. If you cannot cut it "Thanks & see ya later".

Look at Pyke's last Quarter.

Our coaches and list have a sh!tload to learn about commitment & trust.

Our problem has been for a long time we have had NO LEADERS. Junior was OK but kind of alone in the role. Bruce was useless as a leader, Green couldn't take the players with him. Beemer and Davey are pretty useless leaders as well. You can't develop young players without leaders.

Neeld has had to go young for his captains for exactly this reason. Its about developing an elite culture and it takes years.

Interesting reading about the Swans culture being started in large part by Andrew Schauble and carried on by Kirk etc. One of the reasons why the Swans have drafted so many Old Xav players.. Schauble last played in , what, 2005??