Realistic look at our list

yeah whatever nobody cares what you think about other people's threads, just shut up if you have no contribution to make - most of us are here to talk about footy not critique other posters

Look, I'll start over.

Not having a dig at anyone, not asking for the thread to be closed, but there seriously is at least a dozen threads for this discussion already.

Just depressed about having to read offseason threads from May every year....

Good enough to be part of a really good AFL team (that can play and compete well in finals)

Jones, Frawley, Trengove, Clark, Grimes, Howe

Might soon be good enough... but need to develop

Watts, McKenzie, Blease, McDonald, Nicholson, Tapscott, Jetta

Not Good enough ...

Bate, Bennell, Morton, Petterd, Green, Cook, Davey, Lawrence, Couch

Not sure if they're good enough ... because I haven't seen enough of them

Gysberts, Strauss, Evans, Gawn, Davis, Taggert, Tynan, Fitzpatrick, Sheehan, Williams

Role players

Bartram, Sylvia, Dunn, Garland, Moloney, Rivers, Macdonald, Sellar, Martin, Jamar, Spencer, Bail, Magner

* Jurrah would be in the first category if not for fitness/personal issues.

• Like 2

Guest KingDingAling

Good enough to be part of a really good AFL team (that can play and compete well in finals)

Not Good enough ...

Gysberts, Strauss, Evans, Gawn, Davis, Taggert, Tynan, Fitzpatrick, Sheehan, Williams

Role players

Bartram, Sylvia, Dunn, Garland, Moloney, Rivers, Macdonald, Sellar, Martin, Jamar, Spencer, Bail, Magner

Tappy!

Before Viney there was Luke.

Is it compulsory for people to fill threads with irrelevant egotistical potshots that bore those that came to the thread hoping to discuss the thread topic?

If so, your doing fine.

• Like 2

Not Good enough ...

Role players

Pretty accurate Jimmi. However, I think that Cook and Couch should be moved to the 'Not sure' category. It's a bit premature for supporters to make this claim, given that they've played a total of 3 games between them.

FWIW (nothing) my assessment is that apart from the uncertainty around Bartram, Moloney, Davey and Jurrah, there are almost no write-offs for mine.

I have serious doubts about what Bate, Morton, Magner, Sellar, and Bennell might do for us but they are still in it.

So who and how many do you want to cut ?

A lot of this is spurious, because it's really all about "team" and "buy in". Melbourne went 8 zip with an average list in the season (1965) after Barassi left us but we kept winning because the aura of winning freaked out other teams. Players like Jamar and Davey (as a backpocket sweeper) would grew a leg like the second half of '87. All it takes is for the leading player group to gell and sell the message. Every great team has several players not quite elite but are swept up in the passion of the cause. I think we are not too far off, and look forward (again) optimistically to the new season. ps i think we will give adelaide a good shake on the w/e, as they have got ahead of themselves.

Gone

18. Green (retiring)

22. Moloney

45. Lawrence

In limbo land, but keep if works out

24. Jurrah

3. Bartram

36. Davey

Shown Sufficient potential/improvement Should Make it

17. Blease

19. Strauss

25. McDonald

34. Martin

35. Tapscott

26. Nicholson

44. Bail

49. Magner

Have potential but too early or too injured to tell

5. Gysberts

37. Gawn

42. Spencer

30. Sellar

39. Jetta

21. Cook

32. Evans

41. Davis

43. Taggart

46. Tynan

47. Couch

48. Fitzpatrick

50. Sheehan

51. Williams

Nice work PaulRB, I like your take on the list.

A lot of this is spurious, because it's really all about "team" and "buy in". Melbourne went 8 zip with an average list in the season (1965) after Barassi left us but we kept winning because the aura of winning freaked out other teams. Players like Jamar and Davey (as a backpocket sweeper) would grew a leg like the second half of '87. All it takes is for the leading player group to gell and sell the message. Every great team has several players not quite elite but are swept up in the passion of the cause. I think we are not too far off, and look forward (again) optimistically to the new season. ps i think we will give adelaide a good shake on the w/e, as they have got ahead of themselves.

In his speech the other night Neeld said he expects a lot of our improvement next year will come from the current playing list; if you look at it we have a core of good players and need to get some good games from the others along with a few new recruits both young and older.

To all those that have written off Trenners, be prepared to eat some humble pie next year.