Changes v Pies

Dannyz

Only potential in is Frawley. Bail is stiff, but we ought to reward the players who won us the game last night.

Do you think Neeld would play the same group just because they won, or look at who we are playing next and pick those that can outperform their opposition? I would personally prefer Neeld to put the team and a win ahead of rewarding a good player with another game just because he had a good game.

Fair enough, totally understand your point and reasoning. I'd just like to see guys rewarded for good games, if we're going to build a list that's competitive for spots then we should be doing that. Joel had a better game than normal, may not be able to replicate it, but I just reckon his form in that game earns him a spot for one more week.

Weather conditions may have a bearing on our team balance.

Dunn might be given the defensive job on Rhys Shaw, so I don't know if he'll get dropped. Unless Sylvia is given a defensive forward role again.

If Frawley is fit and Blease gets up, then it's a simple out MacDonald, in Frawley. You have to put the talent out there, no matter how unlucky or unfair that might be for Joel. He is depth only.

If Blease is injured I have a sneaky suspicion that Davey will get a recall.

But after a win, our first one in about 94 years, we should make minimal changes. Nice to have a settled team for once. Too many changes don't often lead to victory.

Edit: I forgot Bartram. If he's fit he will 100% get a game, as he should.

Edited by Jaded

Do you think Neeld would play the same group just because they won, or look at who we are playing next and pick those that can outperform their opposition? I would personally prefer Neeld to put the team and a win ahead of rewarding a good player with another game just because he had a good game.

We won, and the players worked hard for it. Let them unify as a team and give another top-4 side a crack. Something I've loved about Richmond this year is the fact they've only used 27 players. Sure, part of that is because they're going great on the injury front, but part of that is a realisation that they need to have a core team and they have to play together. I want to see our team become a team. Switching players week in, week out, simply for match-up reasons, disrupts that.

There's simply no need, after this win, to make any changes that aren't necessitated. Leave the axeings for losses.

Maybe Frawley might be put as an emergency and come back for GWS? No disrespect to Frawls but our back 6 was fantastic, Joel MacDonald and Sellar did great, surprising jobs on their opponents. Dunn would be the obviously dropped player since he was sub but I'd give him another go. Morton was pretty good too. So in short, i'd seriously be happy to field the same side even if Frawley and Bartram are fit

We need Dunn to play the defensive forward role. When we matched them a couple of years ago a big part of it was tagging their half backs. Garland and Dunn are ideal for that role, and would allow us to keep much the same back 6 as this week.

If Frawley does com in, it needs to be one of the backs who goes. Whoever that is will be desperately unlucky.

• Like 1

There's no way Sellar gets dropped. he is the PERFECT matchup for dawes. Absolutely perfect. Dawes hasnt looked threatening all year and its no suprise Sellar has looked ok when he has a task (either pinch hitting in the ruck or locking down on a gorilla). If they both just nullify each other we just have to look after cloke.

As much as I don't really like it, If chip comes in maybe a Tom Mac might have a rest. I love the kid but is there a matchup? They dont really play the third tall. Who does he play on. Need every bit of ro bail and bleasy's speed if possible

• Like 1

As so often happens , there may be a player or 2 that will have one of those 'Mystery' one week injuries . That makes selecting the side easier . It would be difficult to drop any player from Saturday night . As it is Blease is doubtful and as 'demonkeaney' said , the Pies sometimes don't play a 3rd tall in their forward line . Though Jolly can make appearances down there . It might come down to match-ups .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Dosnt Neeld have a points system? Each player has to earn 6 points a quarter where different things are worth points? I guess he will drop any players that didnt get 6 points a quarter, if everyone did then no change?

Does anyone know anymore about this system or did I completly make that up?

Dosnt Neeld have a points system? Each player has to earn 6 points a quarter where different things are worth points? I guess he will drop any players that didnt get 6 points a quarter, if everyone did then no change?

Does anyone know anymore about this system or did I completly make that up?

You made that up. I think what you are talking about is Desire Indicators (DI). It is just a standard that is set to maximise our competitiveness.

You made that up. I think what you are talking about is Desire Indicators (DI). It is just a standard that is set to maximise our competitiveness.

There is a "6 point" system of some description HG. Neeld has made it common knowledge that players need to earn 6 points a quarter.

In regards to changes this week, it will depend on the fitness of Frawley. If he is 100%, he plays, it's as simple as that. If Blease is 100%, he plays too.

Assuming Frawley & Blease are right, my call would be;

In Frawley

Out J Macdonald

Very stiff Joel, was between him and Greeny, but I chose to replace a defender with a defender.

What we should remember is that Neeld has a better understanding of Collingwood than any other opposition team. I'm convinced players like Sellar and Magner were added to the list last year after Neeld saw our team monstered by the bigger Collingwood bodies last QB. On that basis, and given his form last Saturday night, I would have thought Sellar is a certainty to play.

The only real 'problem' (and it's a nice one to have) is what to do with Frawley, Bail and Bartram if each is fit. If Blease goes out, I would have thought Bail would come in on a like for like basis. But if Blease is OK, it becomes tougher.

Out: Macdonald, Blease

In: Frawley, Bail

Like-for-like as fitness determines. No injuries equals no change.

I like these changes, but hopefully Blease gets up for the game so the only change is Macdonald out and Frawley In.

Leave Sellar in the backline to take on Cloke as I reckon he's the one guy that probably has the strength to match up on Cloke in a one on one wrestle. Leave Garland up forward for another week, and then use McDonald, Rivers, Frawley on players like Sidebottom, Dawes, Fasolo, and hopefully Bartram is back as well to take Blair. Watts can then pick-up whoever is left, and play that floater role again. Looking at those match-ups i think we could be quite effective at stopping Collingwood.

I'm feeling much more optimistic about our chances in the QB match after this win.

I like these changes, but hopefully Blease gets up for the game so the only change is Macdonald out and Frawley In.

Leave Sellar in the backline to take on Cloke as I reckon he's the one guy that probably has the strength to match up on Cloke in a one on one wrestle. Leave Garland up forward for another week, and then use McDonald, Rivers, Frawley on players like Sidebottom, Dawes, Fasolo, and hopefully Bartram is back as well to take Blair. Watts can then pick-up whoever is left, and play that floater role again. Looking at those match-ups i think we could be quite effective at stopping Collingwood.

I'm feeling much more optimistic about our chances in the QB match after this win.

I'm sorry to have to disagree. But Watts was not a loose man in defence irrespective of what anyone in the media might have said. He played on Monfries, Jetta and Davey. He just made space when necessary. In fact, the most obvious change to me in the way we played compared with previous games was the ability for players NOT to all go to the ball or to the player with the ball at once. This allowed players to be free for the so-called uncontested possession, which was why our disposal count was up. I don't know if there was a change in instructions or whether players now just 'get it' and have more faith in the teammates. But we look a much better team when we play like adults instead of under 12s all hovering around the ball.

• Like 2

There's no way Sellar gets dropped. he is the PERFECT matchup for dawes. Absolutely perfect. Dawes hasnt looked threatening all year and its no suprise Sellar has looked ok when he has a task (either pinch hitting in the ruck or locking down on a gorilla). If they both just nullify each other we just have to look after cloke.

As much as I don't really like it, If chip comes in maybe a Tom Mac might have a rest. I love the kid but is there a matchup? They dont really play the third tall. Who does he play on. Need every bit of ro bail and bleasy's speed if possible

Tommy Mac lined up on Jetta during the game, he is very fast for his size, he will hold his place....

Doc Larsen put a question mark on Frawley's heel injury in terms of when he'd be back so you'd reckon the Club would take the "cautious approach" with him.

Bail for Blease if Sam doesn't come up otherwise no change is the best policy.