Guest José Mourinho

I'm sorry, but this is the single stupidest suggestion I've seen on this forum.

- The ruck is not a weakness

- Watts is not physically built to play in the ruck

- Watts is not tall enough to be an effective ruckman

- We'd be risking serious injury to Watts

- It would hamper his development

- We have no reason to want Watts to play in the ruck in future

- It will not help us win games

There is no logical reason for wanting this move.

None.

In terms of a ruck, martin is everything watts could be - as a ruckmen.

Martin has an engine, can jump and contests the ball, watts is no ruck.

Previous posts are correct, he is more likely to hurt himself than learn anything.

Watts will be a wicked player given time. Just needs confidence a ball, not the ruck.

No, no, a thousand times no.

What is the point of having Watts in the ruck when currently on our list we have:

Jamar

Martin

Spencer

Sellar

Fitzpatrick

Gawn

It would take some time for the 'training' you wish to happen to be sufficient for Watts to play in the ruck, and by then Spencer will be ready to come back to AFL level, and Gawn will probably be back in full training.

Cook being the next Cloke? You're joking right?

If this idea came to fruition, it would be the biggest waste of a #1 draft pick since HWMNBN.

As much as you may wish we'd drafted NicNat, it didn't happen. Watts is showing glimpses of what he will become.

I'm sorry, but this is the single stupidest suggestion I've seen on this forum.

Jeez i don't know about that there have been some pretty out there suggestions. Recently i read a couple of suggestions that we should trade Watts - surely that trumps it in the stupidity stakes

Just ugh.... I seriously wonder if people have ever played or even watch footy.

This is why I hate journo's and AFL media personalities (former players), as the general population relies on their opinion as a guide to their own opinion purely because they cannot forge one themselves.

So when they have an opinion on a player, or a club, or the way a game was played 80% of the population take that as factual and develop and perpetuate that thought right through the nation.

Therefore the "kick it long" people of this world decide Watts is no good and needs to be in the ruck.

They decide that Clark was never a good forward because 1 guy who used to be a great coach (Matthews) said that he is a dud forward... Do people realise.... that Leigh Matthews actually said Ben Hudson would be a better recruit than Mitch Clark? Do we all know how ridiculous that sounds? Yet the general population still follow these media commentators

I know this is going off topic... but this is the only reason I can think of, as to why people suggest these moves.

As to why people suggest Clark in the ruck. As to why Watts must be played all over the ground to get the ball.

The media needs to start getting things right, they need to actually analyse the state of things instead of writing a story just so they can put their name to something. Because they are treating everyone like fools, and most of us are eating it up.

We are not the worst team ever, not everyone of our players are duds, supercoach points don't mean everything, stats mean nothing unless your damaging with the ball, under no circumstances should a player "kick it long" if there is no option, the fact that our administration and football department are in different buildings means nothing, Mark Neeld is not a bad coach, Mark Neeld has not lost the players.... We are just not very good at the moment, we have some weak players who we will weed out by drafting well.

End of that slightly off topic, random rant.

Edited by Demons 32

It isnt.

And FWIW, I dont Jamar, Garland, Bartram, Bail, McKenzie, Jones, Tapscott, Frawley are precious.

MFC are not drafting, developing or producing stars.

And this move with Watts does not address the issue at all.

My mistake. I wasn't meaning the whole list, although I Would like to see Garland & Frawley become more In your face types as they grow.

I was referring to the fact that we have continually carried way outside types for Eons, & in tight footy you can't.

And I wasn't promoting Watts in the Ruck although I was suggesting that he do some heavy work after another Pre Season in his frame.

If it's all about getting him into the play, just give him a licence to roam a la Adam Goodes. Playing on the wing virtually gives him that licence anyway and he already moves between the lines, The odd need to compete in the ruck at a boundary throw in may be required where injury is less likely compared to a centre bounce contest. As has been stated before, Nick Riewoldt started as a wingman/backman before settling into the forward line.

I think what we are all suggesting bar centre hitouts is almost being done anyway. Toughening him up I'm sure will continue to evolve as he grows into his body and some astute coaching/messaging/feedback is delivered as expectations increase.

Not a fan of this idea at all.

The main issue as has been raised is that without any background in ruck work he will not just be physically tested, but may well be very quickly physically wrecked...and even if not injured, he would most likely be ineffectual due to his lack of bulk.

Guest José Mourinho

Jeez i don't know about that there have been some pretty out there suggestions. Recently i read a couple of suggestions that we should trade Watts - surely that trumps it in the stupidity stakes

At least if we traded Watts there'd be some sort of benefit.

This proposition would just have us losing badly on all fronts.

There has been a lot of negativity about Jack and his development.

Does anyone know whether the great RDB has ever made any public comments on Jack?

Ron says "I have no respect for natural talent - it is what you do with to that matters". "Nobody has a right to be proud of his or her natural talents; we do nothing to earn them; it is only what we make of them that matters". etc etc

I would be fascinated on Ron's thoughts on where Jack is - and I would respect his views far more than the combined views of all on this board.

"It should always be a goal in any reflection on achievements, even modest ones, to take pride only in those which exceed our expectations based on our 'natural' ability."

Edited by monoccular

Geez I feel for young Jack. Most over-analyzed player I think I've ever seen.

How about we just give him time to develop in his role? Have a look at Tomahawk this year.

We have one of the best ruckmen in the league, so let's leave Jack to improve in his role, leave Mitch up forward, and any other suggestions (waiting for someone to say Cook should ruck for the sake of his development) aside and just focus on building the foundations of our team rather than tinkering around.

At least if we traded Watts there'd be some sort of benefit.

This proposition would just have us losing badly on all fronts.

Totally support Binman's comment, trading Watts would be an admission that we are incapable of developing a player with sublime skills, a football brain and an admirable work ethic. I've watched him at training on numerous occasions and he always puts in. A lot of work he does goes unnoticed as does a lot of the attention he gets from opposition players. As he gets older, fitter and bigger, he will become a great player. Let him learn his craft for another season and we will reap the benefits. Btw, he'd get killed in the ruck at the moment and one thing we're not short of is potential ruck men.

Guest José Mourinho

Totally support Binman's comment, trading Watts would be an admission that we are incapable of developing a player with sublime skills, a football brain and an admirable work ethic. I've watched him at training on numerous occasions and he always puts in. A lot of work he does goes unnoticed as does a lot of the attention he gets from opposition players. As he gets older, fitter and bigger, he will become a great player. Let him learn his craft for another season and we will reap the benefits. Btw, he'd get killed in the ruck at the moment and one thing we're not short of is potential ruck men.

FCS, I don't support trading Watts!

But it is less stupid than putting him in the ruck.

Crawf52, so now you have elected yourself to be judge and jury of posts here! Glad you agree with me that Neeld knows a lot more about all of this, than you or I do. I am glad you read my previous posts on this and decided to agree with me on that very point. Now the white-ant inference, ouch, that really is hurtfull ! Such rank language is not the sort of stuff we like on here, tut, tut!

People like you just like to disagree with anyone who has the kahoonas to speak their mind. I choose to associate with people who never accept inept performances and I continually strive to eradicate this syndrome from my daily business and friendship circles. You just plod along then...............have fun.

Still Waiting,

Far from apponting myself as anything of the sort. I simply took offence at your tone and choice of language when disagreeing with other posters. I'm more than happy to agree with you on the points where we concur, however, I think you need to avoid the stereotyping and wild generalisations. You know nothing about me and how I live my life or what I've achieved. It's possible to speak your mind without being offensive and derogatory. Your language comes across as antagonistic and bullying. It's as if you think if you speak more aggressively than everybody else it will make you right. Not necessarily so my friend.

• Like 2

Crawf52, so now you have elected yourself to be judge and jury of posts here! Glad you agree with me that Neeld knows a lot more about all of this, than you or I do. I am glad you read my previous posts on this and decided to agree with me on that very point. Now the white-ant inference, ouch, that really is hurtfull ! Such rank language is not the sort of stuff we like on here, tut, tut!

People like you just like to disagree with anyone who has the kahoonas to speak their mind. I choose to associate with people who never accept inept performances and I continually strive to eradicate this syndrome from my daily business and friendship circles. You just plod along then...............have fun.

The worst post of all time again . You are showing all on demonland how rude and sad you really are, tut, tut.

FCS, I don't support trading Watts!

But it is less stupid than putting him in the ruck.

it does stir up some people when u mention it though.

good for a chuckle