Jolly's blunt assessment of Daniher

Dee man

Jolly played 48 games for Melbourne, all of them coached by Daniher. Interestingly enough, that's more games than Jakovich, Vardy & Croswell, all players that seem to have left a better impression. This is also more games than Grimes, Trengove and Watts... It would seem to me to be enough games to establish your credentials. On the issue of not being given a fair go, Jolly played 18 games in 2002 and 19 in 2003. Not a bad achievement for a bloke whose coach didn't have the time of day for him! I think the game I referred to earlier v The Bulldogs was round 3, 2004... The stats sheet for that game shows Jolly had 1 hitout and 1 free against. I'll dig up a replay to review my memory of the incident v Darcy, but I remember coming away with the feeling that Jolly was sucked in by a bloke I thought was full of bluff. He went down precisely at a time when the club needed him and I got the impression that he contributed somewhat to the injury.

Jolly played 48 games for Melbourne, all of them coached by Daniher. Interestingly enough, that's more games than Jakovich, Vardy & Croswell, all players that seem to have left a better impression. This is also more games than Grimes, Trengove and Watts... It would seem to me to be enough games to establish your credentials. On the issue of not being given a fair go, Jolly played 18 games in 2002 and 19 in 2003. Not a bad achievement for a bloke whose coach didn't have the time of day for him! I think the game I referred to earlier v The Bulldogs was round 3, 2004... The stats sheet for that game shows Jolly had 1 hitout and 1 free against. I'll dig up a replay to review my memory of the incident v Darcy, but I remember coming away with the feeling that Jolly was sucked in by a bloke I thought was full of bluff. He went down precisely at a time when the club needed him and I got the impression that he contributed somewhat to the injury.

I wonder how much time he had been on the ground in that game and you can add the stat of the one mark that he had just taken.

It's not the number of games he played it's the time he played in each of those games, he was benched for 80% plus in just about every game I can remember.

He injured his knee and was out for 6 to 8 weeks if I can remember, I'm not sure what he could have done about that.

RobbieF you are entitled to your view on Jolly. I liked him from the time I saw him doing some ruck training at Sandy with White and mentor (at the time) Stynes. I was frustrated by his inability to grasp the opportunities he was given with both hands. That's probably why I am sympathetic to Daniher's alleged indifference. I suggest to you that Daniher thought Jolly had immense natural gifts but wasn't prepared (at the time) to do whaever it takes. Remember, Daniher battled a series of serious knee problems to etch out a handful of games over a decade of pain... He may have thought Jolly was a bit soft. At this point in time, I still rate the N Daniher contribution to football ahead of DJ's and I found his article lacked class.

• Like 4

Guest Jackie

Interesting how the Jolly comments is suddenly a hot topic. This is tired old news and Jolly has never wasted an opportunity in the past to slag Daniher. Now its a big deal. Just reflective of all the bull at the club. The supporters are flailing about in all directions and the rest of the football community has the goulish fascination usually reserved for a Linsey Lohan event. So the media delivers what everyone wants. Fingers are pointed everywhere while the real culprit for our woes and his mates are hiding way out of sight.

Read David Schwartz's response to Jolly's comments and you'll find his description of Daniher is very similar to what's being said about Neeld today. And, remind me, but didn't Neil Daniher get us into a Grand Final? Neeld is just what our players need after 'nice guy' Dean Bailey. Somebody who is hard on them. Like Swooper, who also got us into a Grand Final.

This caught my eye after a read of the comments;;

Rod, are you surprised at Jolly hanging it on Daniher or are you surprised to find out how bad Daniher was as a coach? You'll probably be reading a similar story in the not too distant future about Mark Neeld, written by a
current
Melburne player

Commenter Past And Future Location Date and time May 23, 2012, 9:11AM

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coaching-carrots--and-sticking-points-20120522-1z38e.html#ixzz1vl20FpBS

Seriously, this is ridiculous. You can't please all the people all the time. Jolly has gone on to do well, best of luck to him. I heard from a good source that Greg Doyle wasn't happy under Balmey. Lets dig that up too.

I agree with Ox on this. All this is doing is making Jolly look silly, especially as he comes to the end of his career. People have a short memory in footy especially to players that have moved around from club to club.

Is there not an argument that says that perhaps Darren Jolly might not be a keeper since 2 clubs have let him move on? If he was on our list right now and we got rumblings of his 'poor me' attitude we'd all be lining up to kick him out the door. It was clearly the best thing that ever happened to him, yet he wants to whine about it almost a decade later.

It reminds me of Janis Joplin going back to her hometown to show the bullies she had made it. Seems kinda sad.

Read David Schwartz's response to Jolly's comments and you'll find his description of Daniher is very similar to what's being said about Neeld today. And, remind me, but didn't Neil Daniher get us into a Grand Final? Neeld is just what our players need after 'nice guy' Dean Bailey. Somebody who is hard on them. Like Swooper, who also got us into a Grand Final.

Exactly!