It's hard when we always play 19 players

Dusty_Hill

I think its pretty clear who I am addressing, but if you wish to deflect by resorting to digispeak.....

No, it is very unclear when you consider the number of responses that have been passed since your original post. For example, my last comment was regarding your umpiring experience... perhaps you overlooked that as you didn't respond.

I still have no explanation offered for the free kick against Clark. I have placed this as the central contention to my remarks about poor umpiring, I also contend that this changed the momentum of the game. I also suggest that I have other evidence, over the half century, that leads me to believe that umpires are influenced by more than what happens before their eyes. I stand by my contention

• Like 1

Perhaps the umpire, being human, made a mistake? Now, how about relating your umpiring experiences to us? Does the noise from car horns sounded in anger, still cause you to jump?

I still have no explanation offered for the free kick against Clark. I have placed this as the central contention to my remarks about poor umpiring, I also contend that this changed the momentum of the game. I also suggest that I have other evidence, over the half century, that leads me to believe that umpires are influenced by more than what happens before their eyes. I stand by my contention

I agree that the crowd might play a role in an umpire's decisions, but I really doubt there's any sort of systematic corruption going on within the umpiring fraternity.

• Like 1

Yes... and I believe that Ben Johnson won the 1988 100 metre sprint and Lance Armstrong is clean and the Spaniards para-olympic team were all disabled... and Rosie Ruiz won the Boston marathon. What is systematic? What is an umpire that was got to? What is a poor decision that resulted from a conflict of interests? What is a pattern of poor decisions against one team in a competition? What is a system that protects poor decisions by referring to broadcast rights?

Yes... and I believe that Ben Johnson won the 1988 100 metre sprint and Lance Armstrong is clean and the Spaniards para-olympic team were all disabled... and Rosie Ruiz won the Boston marathon. What is systematic? What is an umpire that was got to? What is a poor decision that resulted from a conflict of interests? What is a pattern of poor decisions against one team in a competition? What is a system that protects poor decisions by referring to broadcast rights?

Care to provide some solid incontrovertible proof/evidence?

Two points here first I agree with waynewussell you try your heart out to win the ball and when frees are paid to the other side you would expect when they happen the other way it would be paid this doesnt seem to be the case where melbourne is concerned second point is just sit back an have a look at the replays as i have done and you will see we do not get the frees that the other sides get period!!!!!!!

Two points here first I agree with waynewussell you try your heart out to win the ball and when frees are paid to the other side you would expect when they happen the other way it would be paid this doesnt seem to be the case where melbourne is concerned second point is just sit back an have a look at the replays as i have done and you will see we do not get the frees that the other sides get period!!!!!!!

We all see what we want to see I suppose. There have been plenty of occasions when the "obvious" free hasn't been paid against us or the "not so obvious" free has been paid to us... the fact that we seem to get more frees paid against us in the opposition's forward 50 would, I think, tend to say more about our defence than it says about the umpires.

Do you wonder why we don't have the following statistics?

Inside 50 frees per team per year

Inside 50 frees per umpire per team

50 metre frees per team per year

50 metre frees per umpire per team

and here's a donkey stat... frees per team per umpire

Do you wonder why we don't have the following statistics?

Inside 50 frees per team per year

Inside 50 frees per umpire per team

50 metre frees per team per year

50 metre frees per umpire per team

and here's a donkey stat... frees per team per umpire

I'm sure you're keeping those figures in you little black notebook... but please, make sure you're not seen taking notes when the black helicopters are hovering overhead.

Ok, I'll come clean... I still believe that the 15 metre penalty against Jimmy should not have been paid. I have seen upward of 100 examples over the 50 years that were not paid. The umpire in that instance chose to make a technical decision that was not in the spirit of the game. Why? I do not know, but I suspect that it was because he was influenced by the fact that Hawthorn was a power and Melbourne were battlers. I have witnessed at least 30 Interstate games where the umpires were influenced by the home town crowd to the extent where the result hinged on 50/50 frees to the home team. I was in Mauritius for the 2012 game against WC... but am I right in saying the home team had 22 to very few frees in the first half? I am certain that umpires get caught up in the momentum of a game. I am certain that many umpires over the journey have been influenced by the media personalities that are competing. I am asking for an impartial, and fair system of adjudication. You are dreaming if you think the MFC have had that in the the past 50 years

Jusy watched the first quarter and a half on fox. I am absolutely disgusted by the standard of umpiring against Melbourne FC. It's something that really needs to be addresse as it append every game.

In the first quarter twice Geelong players dropped (incorrectly disposed) of the ball in the Melbourne first half and I reckon at least one cost us a goal basic umpiring error.

In the second quarter Hawkins was on the ground in the goal square and whilst being tackeled handed the ball to stokes I think it was. I am pretty sure this too is incorrect disposal. It is really sh!t.

Again, it doesn't cost is the game but it must disheartening for the player to continuly lay good tackles and not be rewarded. Get your act into gear AFL.

On a positive note. Mitch Clark is excellent but why is he roving the pack in out forward half? Well done but I mean where is the rest I em!

the Jpod free kick on the siren, was an absolute joke. Pretty sure he was the one with rivers in a head lock!!!!!! yet gets the free!!!!!!! [censored] [censored]!!!!

Ok, I'll come clean... I still believe that the 15 metre penalty against Jimmy should not have been paid. I have seen upward of 100 examples over the 50 years that were not paid. The umpire in that instance chose to make a technical decision that was not in the spirit of the game. Why? I do not know, but I suspect that it was because he was influenced by the fact that Hawthorn was a power and Melbourne were battlers. I have witnessed at least 30 Interstate games where the umpires were influenced by the home town crowd to the extent where the result hinged on 50/50 frees to the home team. I was in Mauritius for the 2012 game against WC... but am I right in saying the home team had 22 to very few frees in the first half? I am certain that umpires get caught up in the momentum of a game. I am certain that many umpires over the journey have been influenced by the media personalities that are competing. I am asking for an impartial, and fair system of adjudication. You are dreaming if you think the MFC have had that in the the past 50 years

Purely in the interests of academic discussion:

1 Don't even think about umpiring decisions - get your own act together and win the game!

2 In Jimmy's case, have a look at the free kick rather than the 15 metre penalty - did B trip over his own feet?

3 Carlton would have beaten anyone in the GF anyway!

4 Sources tell me the umpire was very good, well respected, and also an MFC supporter!

In any case, it's all history! If only Norm Smith hadn't been sacked! Aahh!

"

Only three things are certain in this life. Death, taxes and a post-loss whinge thread about the umpiring on Demonland.

"

On the contrary, I posted this after a quarter and a half. I had no idea of the result. But could only guess...

"

the Jpod free kick on the siren, was an absolute joke. Pretty sure he was the one with rivers in a head lock!!!!!! yet gets the free!!!!!!! [censored] [censored]!!!

"

Yep

"

"

And this helps get to my point. I rely feel in the first half of the game the umpires tend to make a lot of mistakes which work against us, especially of our forward 50. The one in the first quarter comes to mind where a geelong player 30m out directly in front had a chance to get rid of it then had is arm pinned and dropped it. Classic mcgruber---I mean dropping the ball. Nup play on and Sylvia gets it and then thinks, hang on isn't that holding the ball but by the time be realised it's no he's caught with it and surprise surprise the umpy finally cis holding the ball.

Anyway the point of my post is that I feel the MFC very much more often than not gets shafted by the umpires in the opening quarter or too and/or when the game is in the balance. Come the last quarter when the game was over such as today, the umpires seem to be much kinder and now somehow see all the frees they were missing earlier.

Do I think there is a conspiracy. No. Do I think umpires are weak as pi$$ and when ever Melbourne doesn't have the bigger crowd the umpires favour the 'home' side and award them more frees. Absolutely. It's something the afl need to sort out. That is the point of my post. I understand there is getting in front more etc etc and the re are plenty of areas for the mcc to improve on and this did not cost us the game. But I do feel during many many games that at times when it's in the balance we get the raw deal just about always. And I am sick of it.

Edited by Dusty_Hill

Sorry, but I really don't go for this umpiring whinge. Yes, there are bad decisions that go against us, but I'm certain that if you were an opposition supporter, you would have almost exactly the same complaints. One reason we get so many frees paid against us is because we are always behind the man and rarely in a position to warrant a free kick.

It does"t alter the fact that the umpiring is pretty darn poor, witness last weeks debacle of the goal umpire, blooming heck he must have been lighting his pipe and not taking any notice to signal those as goals!!

While we are all probably one eyed to greater or lesser degree, we really have been shafted by a few umpiring bloomers in crucial phases of play over the past couple of weeks

Surprised no one has brought up the free to Bartell resulting in his first goal. Slight forearm to the back by Bartram which was 50:50 at very best, but as it was just (less than a minute) after a very strong shove from Bartell into Bartram in another marking contest, there was no way it should have been paid.

That descision and the free to JPod were terrible decsisions which resulted in goals.

One day hopefully the wheel will turn, but I have no doubt that while we have no clout and no respect, we will continue to be at the recieving end of the umpiring and MRP.

• Like 1

Agree with many of the points in this thread

have stated previously without wishing to "blame" umpires that perhaps WE

our players

our supporters

our coaches

are not doing the right things to gain the umpires decisions

Our players do seem to not have necks and backs (even the obvious)

whilst our tackles are often in the back or high

I did hear the umpire comment on what I thought was a high tackle to a Geelong player(maybe serial ducker Selwood) that he had ducked into it

Maybe Melbourne players are giving that impression often and the umpires dont see the free

It could be technique and I wonder if the club has had the umpires advisory to the club to give some training??

It may be that that acknowledgement that we see aproblem also gains some respect and an improved attitude from the umps.

Its a subject that I am always told is rubbish All sides are treated the same but it is interesting that free kicks are not broken down and analysed or maybe they are and we dont know

Again it could be player or location technique

I close with just two examples from the past

I remember a Melb player being rubbed out for an "attempted trip"

the next week

A geelong player was not reported for an "actual" trip

( We couldnt even get the technique of how to trip and were penalised)

• Like 1