• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mark Neeld - On The Couch

Arrow

Thought he was fantastic.

Said at the media conference he was speaking to the members. Not the footy world.

Excellent post. I was at the game and I felt Neeld was speaking to ME and telling ME what I wanted to know and hear. Everyone else in the press can please themselves. The kerfuffle about the conference is just a sign that for once we get some honest emotion and thinking , not cliche-driven garbage the likes of Malthouse, Ratten and Co produced.

As another poster said yesterday, don't look for Watts, Clark and Co as the answer.

Neeld , Missen, Craig are the answer for us. The cattle will come and be developed. Some are already on board - MAGNER!

• Like 1

Guest Dr Who

Michael says something 3AW. Its earnestly commented upon by Robert on SEN. Gerard and Mark on AFL360 study it like some revealed truth. Matthew comments on twitter about either Michael's original comment or Roberts comment on the comment or Gerard and Mark's comments on the comments on the comments. Then finally that guy with the glasses from Crocmedia breathlessly makes it a feature story on the Footy Show.

hehehehehe - dont you love it? Its all part of the game we call AFL media circus. This week we are smack bang in the middle - now that must be good for sponsors.

Neeld could have been rubbish and it wouldnt change a thing in my eyes. Actions on field is the only yard stick that i'll measure him on. At this stage his still all talk

You're going to judge the coach on what the players do on field? That's not entirely logical. We know that every player on the Melbourne list has a standard they can attain in terms of on-field performance. On the weekend most weren't even close to it. What's their excuse? Game plan too hard....maybe? But that should improve over the course of a season, lets see. If it doesn't and those same players are going up and down on the spot then they are the problem, not the coach.

I like many others can see where the problem is with the playing group. Too many appear happy to just exist as AFL players without actually delivering anything tangible to supporters.

Edited by diesel

Guest Thomo

Neeld on the couch last night reminded me a bit of Mark Latham in his mannerisms. He seemed a bit all over the place, like he is having to try hard to keep his rage in check, and could be a loose cannon. I actually don't mind that, Clarkson is a loose cannon, and he wins. Much better than full of it Bailey.

Good to see some honest answers. Sounds like Neil Craig is providing a lot of mentoring.

Guest Jackie

For the later half of the third quarter I could hear chants of Boring, Boring around the ground.

Edited by Jackie

I saw it differently. I thought the crowd was booing the incredibly poor umpiring decisions immediately preceding the siren.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I think there is no doubt that at 3/4 time and full time there was substantial booing of the players. Myself? I couldn't be bothered.

Edited by Choko

I can't quite get used to the raised right eyebrow and lip Neeld gets when he's answering some questions. It's like the whole right side of his face contracts and lifts up.

I've noticed that it's usually when he's uncomfortable or excited by the question.

Am I imagining this?

I think there is no doubt that at 3/4 time and full time there was substantial booing of the players. Myself? I couldn't be bothered.

Don't know Choko I could not hear it above my sobbing

On my way to gym this morning Tim Watson on SEN commented that he did ok but looked nervous.

I also thought he looked nervous and uncomfortable last night so I did a little experiment. I listened to him again this morning (I taped last night - it clashed with wrestlemania !) but did not look at the TV - just listened.

He was forthright and did not take a backwards step. He answered honestly and I dont think he has backed away from his after match conference - I am just not sure he will so blunt in the future. But love the steely resolve.

I am sure he will improve his TV visual skills ( a worming tablet perhaps to stop him squirming so much ?)

Footnote - I started a thread about the gameplan and made assumptions that what we have seen is not the gameplan perfected that he wants us to play. Neeld unequivocably confirmed last night that there is still a long way to go before the boys are playing the football he wants us to play.

Well I have some doubt.

I actually joined in, because I was particularly unhappy with the umpiring at the time, and figured the booing was for exactly that (since only an idiot would boo the players in the circumstances).

How many others could have done the same?

He's not all talk. Our contested possession is the highest in the leage, up from the lowest in the league.

We've played one game mate. And frankly those stats dont mean alot if you cant get your hands on the easy uncontested posessions to go along with the "hard ball".

What do we expect? He is a first year coach, the team he coaches just got thumped, the output from his players in the second half was totally unacceptable, he was attacked by a former coach accusing him of segragation by race and having lost his player group and he was facing the brother of our football director plus a former coach.

He had every reason to come accross a nervous.

Edited by drdrake
  • Like 2

Guest Thomo

Well I have some doubt.

I actually joined in, because I was particularly unhappy with the umpiring at the time, and figured the booing was for exactly that (since only an idiot would boo the players in the circumstances).

How many others could have done the same?

That's a classic!

Put aside a very unimpressive interview which left many unanswered questions.

The real issue is that a good coach gets the best out of what he has to work with at the time - no coach can afford to wait until the list suits their ideal world. In MN's case the Collingwood game plan won't work with the current group and probably not with any other team's group - the challenge is to come up with a new game plan, probably an iteration of the Geelong game plan, which this group of players can adapt to quickly. I did think they at least attacked the ball 'better' on Saturday - looking for any positive!

Great post.

At the moment Mark Neeld is like a cheapskate hypnotist in his dealings with the media. He is just a populist and the Demonland mob applauds him for it.

It appears that Neeld has put the fear of god into the players and, when combined with a defensive boundary orientated game plan, this has resulted in a kick it long down the line style. His rantings will only decrease the players’ confidence to take the game on.

The modern AFL game is so quick to change that it is difficult to predict where it will head. IMO implementing a game plan that will take years to learn and adjust to is nonsensical. We need a game plan that makes the most of our strengths and conceals our weaknesses so we can compete here and now.

Great post.

At the moment Mark Neeld is like a cheapskate hypnotist in his dealings with the media. He is just a populist and the Demonland mob applauds him for it.

It appears that Neeld has put the fear of god into the players and, when combined with a defensive boundary orientated game plan, this has resulted in a kick it long down the line style. His rantings will only decrease the players’ confidence to take the game on.

The modern AFL game is so quick to change that it is difficult to predict where it will head. IMO implementing a game plan that will take years to learn and adjust to is nonsensical. We need a game plan that makes the most of our strengths and conceals our weaknesses so we can compete here and now.

What a crock, so because Neeld has put the hard word on the playing list they all of a sudden forget how to look for a leading target or to hit up a loose man? How do you forget to do this after you have been doing it your whole football life all the way from juniors through to now? Some of our players are not able to do the 1%ers, be accountable to their man at stoppages & be disciplined. Some of our midfielders are just dumb footballers, poorly disciplined or both. Until they learn to be accountable, more disciplined & work hard without the ball this list is going nowhere. Neeld is aware of our defensive deficiencies as well as work rate off the ball & is trying to teach these guys what it takes to play winning finals football. He has already stated that some of them won't be up to it, it's up to the players to put their hands up & take responsibility for once & actually mean it by showing it through their actions. IMO ball movement patterns are easily implemented & are the least of the teams worries, Hawthorn were able to change their ball movement patterns & game style within a season.

Great post.

If you heard the interview last night then I will ask you this

How do you actually know what the game plan is ? Neeld stated clearly that the plan wasnt successfully executed and it has a long way to go before the players play as he would like.

We bemoaned last year that we played uncontested footy but we have the reverse this year - we went at 52% of our possessions being contested - unheard of. ( geelong averaged last year 39% and Swans who are the benchmark for contested footy go at 44%).

It seems the players have to an extent taken on his message of getting the contested footy but Neeld said he was worried about the overall possession count. What we are missing is the uncontested footy - this comes from not running and spreading hard enough.

Criticising the game plan at this stage is like saying " I really hated the film the godfather - I walked out during the opening credits"

• Like 4

What a crock, so because Neeld has put the hard word on the playing list they all of a sudden forget how to look for a leading target or to hit up a loose man? How do you forget to do this after you have been doing it your whole football life all the way from juniors through to now? Some of our players are not able to do the 1%ers, be accountable to their man at stoppages & be disciplined. Some of our midfielders are just dumb footballers, poorly disciplined or both. Until they learn to be accountable, more disciplined & work hard without the ball this list is going nowhere. Neeld is aware of our defensive deficiencies as well as work rate off the ball & is trying to teach these guys what it takes to play winning finals football. He has already stated that some of them won't be up to it, it's up to the players to put their hands up & take responsibility for once & actually mean it by showing it through their actions. IMO ball movement patterns are easily implemented & are the least of the teams worries, Hawthorn were able to change their ball movement patterns & game style within a season.

Absolutely. This IS What is necessary, before Bennell, Morton, Watts, fall further under the shallowness over the MFC, & any others from our young List fall victim to this scourge on our club.

Edited by dee-luded

Agree with all except ball movement patterns are easily implemented - they are on some players - all of your post questions whether some of players will ever get it and on this I agree. Embrace and learn or move on.

just watched it for the first time, not sure what some people are talking about, i thought he was honest, firm and refreshing. Something we have ALL wanted and said we NEED at the MFC for years, and now we have it we still complain!

I think some people on here are just never going to be happy...

• Like 4