• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Okay....where does the improvement come from?

jumbo returns

Tag Moloney and your three quarters of the way to beating Melbourne.

I didn't see any improvement from Moloney in handling the tag.

I didn't see any players blocking Beams or giving Moloney a hand.

Didn't see any moves to shake the tag.

If Moloney plays next week, he'll get Selwood and it'll be same old same old.

• Like 1

Its time to change up the centre clearances group.

In the future i see it as this....Gawn. Gysberts Magner Viney Once this quartet starts playing regularly we will see some inprovement.

Gysberts needs to be in there from now, and maybe Grimes too.

Bartram and Macdonald arent good enough in my opinion. Id put Jones in Bartrams role and bring in Morton or Bennell fpr Macdonald

Howe needs to be the full forward leading out of the square...he has the smarts .

Clarke at CHF

• Like 2

The example set by the so called previous leadership group was [censored] poor for far too long. The young recruits coming into the club over the last 5 plus years have been shown the completely wrong way to go about having a successful afl career. I honestly believe that off field the club has taken great strides forward but on field there has been no improvement.

Too many times when watching melbourne play you see players fail to do the team things i.e block for a teammate at stoppages, shephard for teammates to allow time for a more efficient disposal, lower thier eyes to hitup a leading forward, be unselfish in the forward 50 when a teammate is in a better position, fail to run back hard enough to assist the backline.

So one thing i would like to see happen is the current leadership group bring the squad together and DEMAND that standards are lifted and in order to do so these young leaders have to set this example from scratch. If a player does not have the required work rate to lift thier level of performance then they need to be held accountable. Just like how geelong players set there required standards in early 2007 season.

The required standards need to come from -: Grimes, Trengove, Jones, Bartram, Frawley, Jamar, Clark & Garland. And the improvement needs to come from every player on the list.... If you cant then goodbye thank you for your service and move on.

• Like 1

Can we continue to pick Bartram ,McKenzie ,Joel Mac ,Bail who have the right attitude normally but not the required level of skill?

Can we pick guys who have the skill but not the attitude ?ie Green and Davey ,even Rivers

Just hope the coach gets the boxing gloves out and puts them in a circle and calls out two at a time for two minutes each.

Wake up you [censored] .This is my club you are destroying and embarrassing .

This was my point. Thomo, the two players mentionned have a great crack but are otherwise utter liabilities. If that is ok with you, then great. Ultimately, we need more class in the midfield. WE need more class coming out of defence. I'm sure I don't nknow how to get this going. My plan is one suggestion as to how to do it. You don't have a better idea. Try one.

Guest Jackie

One factor to our forward play that contributed heavily to our downfall was the constant kicking of the ball deep to the pocket in particular at the city end. Time after time Brisbane just squeezed us there and denied us scoring opportunities. On the rare occasions the ball was centered into the hot spot we scored. Clark was the main culprit and was always leading far too narrow and wide.

Edited by Jackie

Forwards are fine - Cant wait to see Clark used to his full potential

Backs - need better communication

Midfield - as everyone else has said clearances and need to be alot more physical

Also I'd much rather Bate be starting and Morton as a sub... Bates much more physical and has a better penetrating kick

Edited by PJ_12345

This was my point. Thomo, the two players mentionned have a great crack but are otherwise utter liabilities. If that is ok with you, then great. Ultimately, we need more class in the midfield. WE need more class coming out of defence. I'm sure I don't nknow how to get this going. My plan is one suggestion as to how to do it. You don't have a better idea. Try one.

I'm Biffen and I was talking to players-not demonlanders .

I want Neeld to do the boxing thing for our guys-first up Davey versus Magner.

Midfield class is one problem amongst many .

One highlight is that we haven't peaked at the wrong time.

One factor to our forward play that contributed heavily to our downfall was the constant kicking of the ball deep to the pocket in particular at the city end. Time after time Brisbane just squeezed us there and denied us scoring opportunities. On the rare occasions the ball was centered into the hot spot we scored. Clark was the main culprit and was always leading far too narrow and wide.

This what i find perplexing...our game plan seems way too predictable.

Every kick forwrad went to the same pocket all day

If i was playing for Brisbane i would of thought, how easy is this to defend.

• Like 2

Yeah definitely have to get it into the corridor earlier.

Yeah definitely have to get it into the corridor earlier.

But its not our gameplan to get it in the corridor

seriously, where will the improvement come from? My best guess is this years draft. WIth the draft meant to be strong, and what now looks like some high picks (2 top 10 picks, 1 mid teen pick, and a low 20's pick), throw in that we will probably trade for some more draft picks or decent players, our best chance to improve is at the end of this years off-season. Throw in a recruiter who has half a clue and we might go alright. Sure we don't have one, but i reckon it's better than BP and his look to the future philosophy.

From within! From the individuals Pride! A desire for a game! Team Pride! And from getting used to the clubs changes and Gamestyle.

• Like 2

I think that that's the key....no point dropping Davey or whoever else and bringing in a Dunn or a Bate.

Yes there is Jumbo.

Yesterday Davey went in for the ball with his hand only, body NOT Inline with the ball or contest!!! This SAPS the desire from all who witness these acts.

It DEstroys the teams Ethos of contested ball winning.

#We Must start dropping senior players who Will Not show the right Lead. Start with lil' 'd' davey & I'll raise you one Greenback!

Move Grimes to the midfield. Add Morton and Sellar. Bring in bennell. Magner I presume is out injured. Drop Joel Mac. Drop Bartrum. Drop green. It weakens our backline in terms of hardness but improves its speed and disposal. It allows Grimes into the pivot to replace magner. i don't want to make more than 4 replacements. There will be no big improvements in our mids until gysberts or blease matures (or we get some more good draft picks).

Ex-Sellar-rate him in, for defensive balance, to free up Frawley for better matchups. Morton please not yet, we need more contested hard ball winners. Not less. Not yet for Cale.

#Edit: Ohhh, Bennell??? What are you on?

You want to give up this new HardBall winning straight away after a lackluster performance? You'll Kill the club. We Must learn to play like the Hawks & the Bombers & the Catters new breed of the last 6 Years.

The Cats did it & we can too.

Edited by dee-luded

dee-luded, we need more midfield class. How does your suggestion get that?

But its not our gameplan to get it in the corridor

You have to eventually, that's where the big sticks are, we pushed wide too often on the approach to goal. It's one thing to kick long into the 50, but you need to attack the goal face a good percentage of those times.

dee-luded, we need more midfield class. How does your suggestion get that?

It doesn't.

It gets Ticker first. The ability to firstly build the team Ethos of pride in winning hard contests even if we burn the ball. It gets us Respect from the opposition & supporters across the spectrum. and, It forces those so called class players to put their Head over the bloody pill, or miss out on games.

You know it. Its called putting the horse in front of the cart rather than behind it.

We've been 'soft' for around 15 years and it s time to stop it. What do they say?

Bruiseless Footy.

Bartram and McDonald (did I get that right nasher?) turn the ball over. They have ticker aplenty. We won contested ball but got smashed...so i think that winning ball is not, by itself, enough. I think Grimes would add to the mids (and also not take a backwatd step, so that should meet your criteria) and the other options would be more effective in supporting the mids.

It doesn't.

It gets Ticker first. The ability to firstly build the team Ethos of pride in winning hard contests even if we burn the ball. It gets us Respect from the opposition & supporters across the spectrum. and, It forces those so called class players to put their Head over the bloody pill, or miss out on games.

You know it. Its called putting the horse in front of the cart rather than behind it.

We've been 'soft' for around 15 years and it s time to stop it. What do they say?

Bruiseless Footy.

I agree with a lot of what you say.

But you also need to play with a bit of flair at the appropriate time.

Yes there is Jumbo.

Yesterday Davey went in for the ball with his hand only, body NOT Inline with the ball or contest!!! This SAPS the desire from all who witness these acts.

It DEstroys the teams Ethos of contested ball winning.

#We Must start dropping senior players who Will Not show the right Lead. Start with lil' 'd' davey & I'll raise you one Greenback!

Fair enough - but will a Dunn offer any more? Great kick, but can't tackle and won't chase. Same old, same old, really....

Guest oldman emubitter

We're all disappointed but let's see where improvement can come from??

I'll start.

Sellar, Tapscott and Morton must play. Subi is very wide and may suit the boundary game.

Howe needs to stay away from Clarke

Martin needs to stay away from Clarke

Make sure that the spread is working.

Davey was injured and couldn't go a yard - policy: stop playing injured players

To start planning, keep one eye on a good crumbing forward from the VFL - 3rd or 4th round pick.

Frawley must be ORDERED to go the FIRST option all the time.

Grimes to the midfield.

Passion and build a desire for the contest.

unload bennell, davey, dunn, green, macdonald, moloney, rivers and sylvia at the end of the year would be a good start

yes. neeld was a teacher - he ought to know how to make this happen.

nobody ever achieves anything great in life when their outlook is defensive - creative is risk-taking, confident students find it easy, and an environment of encouragement helps a lot. why don't we run to space, to make a lead? negative state of mind maybe? the coach needs to know that the state of mind of his players is the biggest determinant of their achievements, and interact with them accordingly.

remember the sydney game, 2010: the same players, but suddenly faster, stronger, accurate and flying. AFL is not the Australian army, it's a workplace where the players determine the outcome. somebody posted somewhere the truism of coaching that it is the players who make the great coach... so, build them up!

When you were learning way back, did you Run first before crawling?

The point is the gamestyle is built around both winning the ball, head over the footy & Defending when they have it.

Once we've developed those imperative skills of being able to stop others hurting us, can we learn to break thru with the ball.

• Like 1

Tag Moloney and your three quarters of the way to beating Melbourne.

I didn't see any improvement from Moloney in handling the tag.

I didn't see any players blocking Beams or giving Moloney a hand.

Didn't see any moves to shake the tag.

If Moloney plays next week, he'll get Selwood and it'll be same old same old.

Well we have to put up with that & learn to help Moloney and the others as we go.

If Jamar is going to get a lot of hitouts then they'll try to stop his influence at ground level.

Moloney won't be the only Mid tagged.

We have to keep developing our winning the stoppages, & clearances.