Drafting Analysis: 2007 - 2009

After each draft, the call usually is "come back in a few years and I will tell you how well we have drafted." Well here is your chance.

Cale Morton

Jack Grimes

Addam Maric

Kyle Cheney

Tom McNamara

Stefan Martin

Trent Zomer ®

Austin Wonaeamirri ®

Jake Spencer ®

Shane Valenti ®

Jack Watts

Sam Blease

James Strauss

Jamie Bennell

Neville Jetta

Rohan Bail

Liam Jurrah

Jordie McKenzie ®

Rhys Healey ®

Daniel Hughes ®

Tom Scully

Jack Trengove

Jordan Gysberts

Luke Tapscott

Max Gawn

Jack Fitzpatrick

Joel Macdonald

Guest Dr Who

After each draft, the call usually is "come back in a few years and I will tell you how well we have drafted." Well here is your chance.

Until we are spending 18 million+ $$$$$ per year inside our football department I dont care who we recruit & have been spending that amount of money for at least 2-3 years - its a pointless exercise. It would not be a true "Analysis" it would turn into a witch-hunt.

You can eat your own all you want. But deal with all the factors.

Edited by Dr Who

Cale Morton - NOT BEST 22

Jack Grimes - GUN & CAPT BUT WAS DRAFTED WITH AN INJURY

Addam Maric - GONE

Kyle Cheney - GONE

Tom McNamara - GONE

Stefan Martin - HAD A GOOD 2011, BUT STILL UNKNOWN - WAS A BASKETBALLER

Trent Zomer ® - GONE

Austin Wonaeamirri ® - GONE

Jake Spencer ® - ? INJURY PRONE

Shane Valenti ® - GONE

Jack Watts - SUPER TALENT, DOES HE HAVE DESIRE?

Sam Blease - DRAFTED WITH A POOR TANK, HAS SPEED & FOOTSKILLS, IM STILL NOT SURE HE IS BEST 22

James Strauss - SHOWS PROMISE, INJURY PRONE

Jamie Bennell - NOT BEST 22

Neville Jetta - NOT BEST 22

Rohan Bail - COULD BE A STAR, GREAT FOOT SKILLS BUT INJURY PRONE

Liam Jurrah - WHO KNOWS WHERE HES AT BUT DEFINETLEY BEST 22

Jordie McKenzie ® - REAL TRIER BUT WOEFUL DISPOSAL BY FOOT, MAYBE NEXT DIESEL

Rhys Healey ® - GONE

Daniel Hughes ® - GONE

Tom Scully - GONE, BUT EVEN HE WAS DRAFTED WITH POOR DISPOSAL & SOFT OF NATURE

Jack Trengove - WAS A GUN IN SANFL, COULD BE A STAR, CAPT.

Jordan Gysberts - A TRUE FOOTBALLER, SMART BUT INJURY PRONE & NOT THE BEST DISPOSAL.

Luke Tapscott - COURAGE AND GREAT BY FOOT, GOOD READER OF PLAY, MUCH LIKE GRIMES, INJURY WORRIES.

Max Gawn - RECRUITED WITH KNEE ISSUES

Jack Fitzpatrick - SKINNY RUNT, HAS DONE WELL IN NAB CUP BUT I THINK HE WAS RECRUITED WITH INJURY CONCERNS ALSO??

Joel Macdonald - MENTAL ISSUES AND HAS LOST CONFIDENCE.

This was what I was trying to say in the other thread. I think weve dismally been unlucky through injury and also very poor recruiting.

Edited by Hells Gates

This is my rough assessment taking into consideration the pick they were taken with and what they have gone on to achieve so far.

Cale Morton - Bad

Jack Grimes - Very good

Addam Maric - Bad

Kyle Cheney - OK

Tom McNamara - OK

Stefan Martin - Very Good

Trent Zomer ® - OK

Austin Wonaeamirri ® - Good (personal issues)

Jake Spencer ® - OK (injuries)

Shane Valenti ® - Good

Jack Watts - OK

Sam Blease - OK (injuries)

James Strauss - OK (injuries)

Jamie Bennell - OK

Neville Jetta - OK

Rohan Bail - Very Good

Liam Jurrah - Very Good

Jordie McKenzie ® - Very Good

Rhys Healey ® - OK

Daniel Hughes ® - OK

Tom Scully - Very Bad

Jack Trengove - Good

Jordan Gysberts - Good

Luke Tapscott - OK (injuries)

Max Gawn - Good (injuries)

Jack Fitzpatrick - Bad

Joel Macdonald - Good

This is my rough assessment taking into consideration the pick they were taken with and what they have gone on to achieve so far.

Cale Morton - Bad

Jack Grimes - Very good

Addam Maric - Bad

Kyle Cheney - OK

Tom McNamara - OK

Trent Zomer ® - OK

Shane Valenti ® - Good

Jack Watts - OK

Jamie Bennell - OK

Neville Jetta - OK

Rohan Bail - Very Good

Liam Jurrah - Very Good

Rhys Healey ® - OK

Daniel Hughes ® - OK

Tom Scully - Very Bad

Jack Trengove - Good

Jordan Gysberts - Good

Jack Fitzpatrick - Bad

Joel Macdonald - Good

Final verdict mate? How many out of 100 do you score Prendagest?

Final verdict mate? How many out of 100 do you score Prendagest?

I think some of his later picks have been excellent (Bail, Jurrah and Howe in particular). My only concern was that he didn't even interview Dustin Martin. I know Scully and Trengove were stand outs, but that was a concern for me.

From memory Craig Cameron did the 2007 draft.

Cale Morton - disappointing so far. once he can hold tackles and stand up he will be a consistent player though with elite tank.

Jack Grimes - just about the best of the lost in ability and leadership. injuries curtailed him so far.

Addam Maric - disappointing. lacked confidence. can read the play though like a midfielder. glad he is gone.

Kyle Cheney - VFL player. depth

Tom McNamara - did not make it

Stefan Martin - surprise packet but still up and down. a tick

Trent Zomer ® - nowhere near it.

Austin Wonaeamirri ® - one of the most talented we have had in recent times yet the least dedicated by quite some margin.

Jake Spencer ® - will be a decent tap ruckman. skills are poor though. depth.

Shane Valenti ® - very very good VFL player. Was worth the punt. natural footballer just a bit too everything...small...slow and lacked pentration on his kicks.

Overall disappointing with Grimes the shining light.

Jack Watts - 20 year old key position in the making. should be confident he will be a very good player despite this pre-season.

Sam Blease - major injuries. has a hell of a lot to offer. this should be his break through season. deserves some continuity in playing before we judge properly but signs are good.

James Strauss - bad break to his leg, to me was like Frawley when he started, bit of speed, made mistakes but slowly got better to the point where he was just starting to play his role fairly well. gets bagged but fact is he could make it.

Jamie Bennell - picked in the 30s from memory. would be at west coast if not with us. polarises opinion. has skill but not a real 'footballer' for mine. pass or fail? borderline this one. tending to think fail though.

Neville Jetta - has the ticker that bennel lacks and really was a decent pick up in the 50s from memory. in my opinion the pass mark for picks 50+ plus is 10 games. we did pretty well there.

Rohan Bail - excellent pick up. currently not quite 100% but has been an excellent late pick.

Liam Jurrah - very good rookie pick, but speculative like Wonamaerri given his back ground. we took a risk and it still may not pay off.

Jordie McKenzie ® - excellent rookie pick.

Rhys Healey ® - got nowhere

Daniel Hughes ® - few games. fail

Overall not that bad. would like to see how we stack up against other clubs. reckon it might be alright.

Tom Scully - is now two first round picks. was clearly the best then. time will tell how much we lose.

Jack Trengove - tick. now captain. hit the ground running and improved the next year as well. v god player.

Jordan Gysberts - will be a good Corey type.

Luke Tapscott - this kid will be something. natural footballer.

Max Gawn - most exciting ruckman on our list. will be someone to base a team around if he gets his body right.

Jack Fitzpatrick - spud. can't think of a worse player.

Joel Macdonald - decent rookie pick up. Not great but we sort of need him at present.

Overall excellent draft for us, especially if two first rounders come good for Scully. big tick.

In summary we drafted some good players, had too many injuries but in my opinon drafted too many light weights who weren't natural footballers.

I think some of his later picks have been excellent (Bail, Jurrah and Howe in particular). My only concern was that he didn't even interview Dustin Martin. I know Scully and Trengove were stand outs, but that was a concern for me.

Are you serious? We didnt interview Martin?? Please dont tell me that!!!

Too be honest I think Barry has left us hanging, which is what I was trying to say, I agree with the later picks. In the most crucial recruiting time for the club and sit back and watch as these boys display poor disposal and injuries upset me! We were given our chance to make our team superior through draft picks and I think we might of missed the boat. When you add Sylvia, McLean & Morton to that list it gets depressing!

If Scully and Trengove interviewed well and were considered better footballers, why bother? What could happen in an interview to change your mind?

Guest Dr Who

Cale Morton - Bad

Jack Grimes - Very good

Addam Maric - Bad

Kyle Cheney - OK

Tom McNamara - OK

Trent Zomer ® - OK

Shane Valenti ® - Good

Jack Watts - OK

Jamie Bennell - OK

Neville Jetta - OK

Rohan Bail - Very Good

Liam Jurrah - Very Good

Rhys Healey ® - OK

Daniel Hughes ® - OK

Tom Scully - Very Bad

Jack Trengove - Good

Jordan Gysberts - Good

Jack Fitzpatrick - Bad

Joel Macdonald - Good

Massive fail. Its not a level playing field. Until it is - a level playing field - you will only throw the baby out with the bath water.

Fail. with a few exceptions...

2 years ago we were ahead of Richmond apparently....By round 5 if they have started ok, they will tear our list apart.

Class WYL Class.

We have more, & they have atmo better midfield Grunt. We are ahead of them in other areas of the ground.

If Scully and Trengove interviewed well and were considered better footballers, why bother? What could happen in an interview to change your mind?

Yes, hindsight is wonderful and makes drafting look easy a few years on (which it isn't). The point is, I would be happier if we did interview Martin and still didn't take him, at least we know he was more seriously considered then.

Yes, hindsight is wonderful and makes drafting look easy a few years on (which it isn't). The point is, I would be happier if we did interview Martin and still didn't take him, at least we know he was more seriously considered then.

Yep there is no reason why we shouldnt of interviewed the top 5-10 and then take the best. Its seems ludicrous that we wouldnt interview Martin, Im actually stunned, it tells a huge story in itself.

Its like getting work done to your home. You dont just go get the first builder to do it - you get a heap of quotes and take the best from there.

Ive got a huge dislike to Prendagest right now.

The call from the more intelligent supporter is to come back in 10 years.

Geelong is the classic example. Remember how their list was built?

http://afl.com.au/ne...80/default.aspx

In the fifth year after Ablett, Bartel, Kelly and Steve Johnson arrived at the club and in the seventh year after Mooney was traded for and Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright were drafted Geelong finished 10th and Thompson almost lost his job. I don't need to remind anyone here what happened to Geelong in 2007 - 2011. How was Ablett rated after 3 years? Were Bartel, Kelly and Steve Johnson certain to emerge as superstars? Was Mooney considered a great trade option? The 1999 crew (Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright) were entering their peak. At the end of 2006 did many anticipate they'd become multiple premiership and All-Australian players?

I'm not suggesting that Blease, Strauss, Watts, Grimes, Trengove, Tapscott, Bennell, McKenzie, Bail, Gawn and Morton will necessarily go on to match the Geelong players I've mentioned above but clearly coming back "in a few years" is still too soon.

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 4

The call from the more intelligent supporter is to come back in 10 years.

Geelong is the classic example. Remember how their list was built?

http://afl.com.au/ne...80/default.aspx

In the fifth year after Ablett, Bartel, Kelly and Steve Johnson arrived at the club and in the seventh year after Mooney was traded for and Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright were drafted Geelong finished 10th and Thompson almost lost his job. I don't need to remind anyone here what happened to Geelong in 2007 - 2011. How was Ablett rated after 3 years? Were Bartel, Kelly and Steve Johnson certain to emerge as superstars? Was Mooney considered a great trade option? The 1999 crewe (Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright) were entering their peak. At the end of 2006 did many anticipate they'd become multiple premiership and All-Australian players?

I'm not suggesting that Blease, Strauss, Watts, Grimes, Trengove, Tapscott, Bennell, McKenzie, Bail, Gawn and Morton will necessarily go on to match the Geelong players I've mentioned above but clearly coming back "in a few years" is still too soon.

Rate the drafts from ten years ago then.

EDIT: Draft information

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1