Training - Wednesday 7th March, 2012

jayceebee31

Training commenced around 9.50 am today, running laps and doing the same sort of drills that has been reported over the last few weeks.It finished around 11.55 am.

There was an air of excitement there today, both from a confidence boost after last Saturday and Ron Barassi was there.Ron was doing some training due to Sixty Minutes doing a doco on the great man to be shown later in the year. He seems to have a great rapport with the new football department and in particular Neil Craig.(age may be a factor though).He said to me that he had never ever seen so many coaches in his lifetime coaching at the same time (reference to our coaching panel).

Ron mixed with the crowd and had a photo shot with a class of school children who were at training for the event.

Missing were Liam Jurrah and Michael Evans. I'm told both were back home .Jurrah, we all know ,whilst Evans was given a break to go home for a week or two.Max Gawn showed his face for a few minutes. All others were there as far as I could see.

Luke Tapscott, Jack Grimes, Leigh Williams and Jake Spencer were the only ones I noticed who did not do full match day rehearsal. Grimes and Williams are expected to join next week,Tappy a couple of weeks away whilst Pencil looks great and is not far way as well.

Ricky Petterd and Jared Rivers left early, both looking sore. I spoke to Ricky and he said he had mild concussion from last Saturday and had a few sore spots but would play this week. Nathan Jones left a few minutes after these two and said he would probably play a this week.Grimes, is busting to play. Trenners is really excited to strip this week also.

Players who caught my eye at training were Josh Tynan, seems to read he play brilliantly, Davis, hard nut who also reads the play very well and Kelvin Lawrence. I wouldn't be surprised , based on training today that he strips this week. However, the real star was Jack Viney who could play now and be a sensational star, straight up.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer you.

GO DEES.

• Like 3

Thanks for that.

Mckenzie train fully?

Yep- also trained impressively and will play this week -at least for a half IMO.

Thanks for that.

Tappy another 2 weeks away is very disappointing for me. This kid will be a star but injuries hold him back. I thought the club said he was due back this week!!

He only ran laps and didn't join the main group. I was told this IRON MAN is still a week or two away. But don't forget last year, he didn't play any games either as I recall.

Thanks for the report JC How was Gysberts traveling???

Just IMO- seems to light against the main midfield group,re Maloney,Magner,Couch,Jones etc..may play on a wing, but up against it. Bate seems to have taken his spot for now.One other whom impressed me, that I forgot was Strauss.

I certainly hope he's not getting paid for that! Disgraceful!! ^_^

Sometimes a break from the workplace is the best recipe. When, a player cannot train, sometimes depression may set in,IMO.Therefore, if the club has sent him home for a while,they know what they are doing. Another player.Leigh Williams was excited today, as he said he was hopeful of regaining training with the main lot.He said that he only had trained with the group for about a week or so.and thank God, he got picked up from that.Another rookie, Jai Sheahan. ,has caught Gawny latest - grown a beard as well.Another, whom, I noticed,Taggart -is a very good build whom looked sharp- club has high hopes for him.

Sometimes a break from the workplace is the best recipe. When, a player cannot train, sometimes depression may set in,IMO.Therefore, if the club has sent him home for a while,they know what they are doing. Another player.Leigh Williams was excited today, as he said he was hopeful of regaining training with the main lot.He said that he only had trained with the group for about a week or so.and thank God, he got picked up from that.Another rookie, Jai Sheahan. ,has caught Gawny latest - grown a beard as well.

I agree completely about a break being the best medicine... interesting to see you say that Williams is looking forward to resuming training with the main group; he is listed as 3 to 4 weeks with a bad back, so either he has made a speedier than expected recovery, or whoever compiles the injured list is a glass half empty kind of person :-)

At risk of upsetting people again, i want to say that giving players breaks when injured seems to be a common theme down at MFC, does anyone know if other teams do it?

Could this be a reason for the 1 - 2 weeks turning into 2 - 4 weeks as it takes them longer then expected to get back into it?

At risk of upsetting people again, i want to say that giving players breaks when injured seems to be a common theme down at MFC, does anyone know if other teams do it?

Could this be a reason for the 1 - 2 weeks turning into 2 - 4 weeks as it takes them longer then expected to get back into it?

I would have thought that the blow out might be more likely to occur if they don't balance the loads of injured players properly (that is, overload them too early) - often, rest can be the best cure. In the case of Jurrah, it was simply a matter of a failure to heal correctly... I could not possibly see how not giving him a break would help such an injury to heal properly.

Yes, particularly clubs with players drafted from other states. Gold Coast and GWS have recently referred to it as being part of their player retention policy. Gary Ablett was a high profile case last year.

West Coast has given Luke Shuey plenty of time to come back to Victoria in the past (when he’s been injured and for other personal leave), and he’s publicly said he owes the Eagles for the support and flexibility they’ve shown him.

• Like 1

I agree hardtack he should have been made to stay here in melbourne and get more depressed about his problem.

Going home for a couple of weeks

Well what is that supposed to do?

Improve his mental position!

• Like 1

Yes, particularly clubs with players drafted from other states. Gold Coast and GWS have recently referred to it as being part of their player retention policy. Gary Ablett was a high profile case last year.

West Coast has given Luke Shuey plenty of time to come back to Victoria in the past (when he’s been injured and for other personal leave), and he’s publicly said he owes the Eagles for the support and flexibility they’ve shown him.

Does anyone know what MFCs player retention policy is?

DFTT

Does anyone know what MFCs player retention policy is?

Yup - all our players want at the end of their careers to be "one club players" and we envisage that this will be the case.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 7

Yup - all our players want at the end of their careers to be "one club players" and we envisage that this will be the case.

But is that because up till now no one else wanted them?

But is that because up till now no one else wanted them?

That is wrong old dee, a lot of our players have played in premiership sides after leaving the Dees

Letting Grimes go away last year when he was injured has obviously had a very detrimental effect, he was so depressed he threw himself at Troy Davis last week and injured himself again......please........there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting a player have a break...I'm sure Evans went home did not follow instructions and began lifting Kegs at the local pub.....sign.....

That is wrong old dee, a lot of our players have played in premiership sides after leaving the Dees

Just a small joke mate I was suggesting the last few years.

Who could blame them there was no chance they would play in a Gf for the Dees.

I cheered Stan Alves and Greg Wells etc. It was a little bit like the Dees were playing in those GF.

Just a small joke mate I was suggesting the last few years.

Who could blame them there was no chance they would play in a Gf for the Dees.

I cheered Stan Alves and Greg Wells etc. It was a little bit like the Dees were playing in those GF.

Note to self.......Lighten up

Letting Grimes go away last year when he was injured has obviously had a very detrimental effect, he was so depressed he threw himself at Troy Davis last week and injured himself again......please........there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting a player have a break...I'm sure Evans went home did not follow instructions and began lifting Kegs at the local pub.....sign.....

Just a few jokes in March.