• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Foxtel Footy Channel

Whispering_Jack

Would be because Xbox live which is the consoles online content has a contract with foxtel to show their programming. Naturally you would need an Xbox to play this...and offers Xbox a point of difference to say the PS3.

What is your data plan? And how quick is your dowload speed? And do you have wifi?

If you answered - 300/500GB a month, 1MB a second, and yes then go ahead and get foxtel on your xbox.

I don't have this...so i cant say how well it works...but i am considering it.

If you are with Telstra I assume it is unmetered so won't cont towards your download. And I would also assume that ADSL2 would be sufficient for playback...though if you had multiple users on your network at the same time you may run into some bandwidth issues. But has some promise and seems reasonable value.

If you are with Telstra I assume it is unmetered so won't cont towards your download. And I would also assume that ADSL2 would be sufficient for playback...though if you had multiple users on your network at the same time you may run into some bandwidth issues. But has some promise and seems reasonable value.

You are making a number of assumptions here.

I would call up the great evil (Telstra) and ask whether it is unmetered.

What is your data plan? And how quick is your dowload speed? And do you have wifi?

If you answered - 300/500GB a month, 1MB a second, and yes then go ahead and get foxtel on your xbox.

If you answered yes to 1MB/S you probably already have telstra bigpond anyway so it should be unmetered usage. For the record I just got bigpond set up with 80mbps, wifi and will probably be getting foxtel also - I could do without it (I just download everything these days) but the missus wants it for the entertainment & other channels so getting a 24 hour footy channel is an added bonus for me.

I'd rather go to jail than call Telstra customer service.

http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media-centre/announcements/UBERSTAGING_073895

Telstra customers will enjoy unmetered access to games streamed live over the Telstra Next G® network or to the Telstra T-Box. More information on availability and pricing will be provided closer to the start of the 2012 season.

My wife has a Telstra iPhone - I'll take it into a Telstra shop when the pre-season cup is on and get them to show me how to make it work.

You are making a number of assumptions here.

Was just letting you know my thoughts based on reasonable assumptions...i just havent got around to checking yet...Obviously you would need to clear these things up before proceeding.

The Telstra unmetered logo was on the foxtel Xbox live page provided by Rhett - hence the assumption...perhaps Rhett could clear up for us.

Also it would be fair to assume that they wouldn't offer this product if it didn't work throught most ADSL2 services. But again I haven't used it myself so can't confirm for you. Is there anyone that uses this that can give some feedback?

I would be surprised though if all of that didnt check out.

There is ADSL2+ and ADSL2+. Effective bandwidth can vary from <5mbs to the max of 24mbs depending on distance from xchange and line quality

That's NOT taking into account server speed/capacity, backend network capacity/congestion and as you said whether the home interface is shared,

It can also be greatly affected by what video format/compression rate(codec) it is converted to for broadband transmission by the server

I'd like to see some recommended parameters first rather than broadbrush ADSL2 statements

There is ADSL2+ and ADSL2+. Effective bandwidth can vary from <5mbs to the max of 24mbs depending on distance from xchange and line quality

That's NOT taking into account server speed/capacity, backend network capacity/congestion and as you said whether the home interface is shared,

It can also be greatly affected by what video format/compression rate(codec) it is converted to for broadband transmission by the server

I'd like to see some recommended parameters first rather than broadbrush ADSL2 statements

Of course. I thought it would be obvious that you would need to clarify these things based on your own circumstances and the connection you get at your particular location.

I am simply saying there is enough in it for me to merit further investigation.

Of course. I thought it would be obvious that you would need to clarify these things based on your own circumstances and the connection you get at your particular location.

I am simply saying there is enough in it for me to merit further investigation.

Fair enough stinga. Was just clarifying it as much for others who might just think having adsl2+ was good enough

Fair enough stinga. Was just clarifying it as much for others who might just think having adsl2+ was good enough

No problem DC.

I did some more looking around and there is a FAQ section.

It seems you need a 2mbps minimum for this to work. Though I would still be looking for some feedback from someone who has used it first hand. But I did a speed test on my connection and got over 10mbps so should be ok.

Also the FAQ confirms it is unmetered with Telstra. I am with internode who I really like but will have to look at Telstra now if i go down this path...much to my displeasure!

Here is the link

http://www.foxtel.com.au/xbox/faqs/default.htm

If you click on s-t-i-n-g-a above link , it takes you to a very good FAQ which answers the unmetered queries, and internet requirements.

Cheers

Rhett Bartlett

Some information that has come to hand, which may be of interest to FOXTEL subscribers.

I believe that AFL games for the 2012 season will be able to downloaded free , in SD, to your internet connected iQ box , 12 hours after they are broadcast on FOXTEL.

(If you are on BigPond, they will also be unmetered).

Games will be available for a 7 day period, to download.

Once downloaded, you will have a game for 28 days in your iQ box

The functionality will be rolled out from Jan 17th and games will be available for download soon.

I will post further information once it comes to hand.

Cheers

Rhett Bartlett.

Does anyone find this strange.

Telstra cannot stream live AFL games. But yet they are offering Microsoft customers free streaming for live AFL games.

Telstra will provide live coveage through your mobile at a fee.

Mictosoft do not provide this service for free, you have to subscribe to foxtel through Xbox live.

It is foxtel that have the contract to stream live over the Internet.

You can get live steaming on your Telstra tbox...but again you have a subscription to foxtel through this.

Hello there.

This page is from FOXTEL's website - and may help regarding Xbox packaging / pricing queries.

http://www.foxtel.co...ges/default.htm

Cheers

Rhett

FOXTEL Employee

Opinions my own

Hi Rhett,

After reading this post of yours, I signed up for Foxtel on Xbox, believing that the "afl" channel included on the standard pack would be showing all afl games this year, and then I found this information on the Foxtel website:

http://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/get-foxtel/sports/afl/default.htm

which claims "

The new channel (Fox Footy) will be included in the Sports Channel Pack at no extra charge for residential subscribers."

Which suggests I will have to upgrade to the Sports Pack to receive this new channel. I'm hoping I haven't been misled.

:(

Hello Allan.

From what I can see, the first link I posted was for FOXTEL through Xbox. The second link you have attached on your message is for FOXTEL through a set top box (ie: Cable / Satellite)

As such they are two different broadcasts style, and as such have different package structures.

Cheers

Rhett

Hey s-t-i-n-g-a (and for those who have enquired in previous posts),

The Xbox information, relating to the AFL, will be released on Feb 1.

Cheers

Rhett

Edited by rbartlett

Another suggestion, if possible, would be the re-inclusion of "Last time they met" in the lead up to the round.

Rhett,

If Foxtel is considering re-introducing "Last Time they Met" could I humbly suggest you wait until after Saturday, 5 May, 2012 before doing so.

Geelong v Melbourne @ Skilled Stadium on 30 July, 2011 is not a good look.

If you click on s-t-i-n-g-a above link , it takes you to a very good FAQ which answers the unmetered queries, and internet requirements.

Cheers

Rhett Bartlett

Hi Rhett

If you already have all the fox channels (except for HD) will the AFL channel be included for the same cost?

Cheers