The Ox

Sir Why You Little

His gambling addiction is about the only thing he can offer insight on. His football analysis is rubbish and is limited to either writing players off or labelling others as champions. Channel 7 have sidelined him and his radio amounts to giggling with people who ring in putting on voices, wish him a happy birthday and giving away hams.

• Like 1

His gambling addiction is about the only thing he can offer insight on. His football analysis is rubbish and is limited to either writing players off or labelling others as champions. Channel 7 have sidelined him and his radio amounts to giggling with people who ring in putting on voices, wish him a happy birthday and giving away hams.

I love the OX, spent some time with him on the China trip. However, I have to agree that he does not have the football knowledge that you would expect he should have considering it is his paid profession. He tries to "wing -it" too often and comes up short.

In comparison, Nathan Thompson, Mark Fine, Nigel Carmody and like him or loathe him Terry Wallace have a much better understanding of the current agendas and of players at other clubs. They do their homework, whereas David seems to spend more time concentating on his golf and fishing.

It would be an interesting reponse if you asked David who were the latest additions to the MFC list through the draft. I bet he would struggle to come up with most if not all of them except for Mitch Clark.

All is not lost if he prepared himself better and modelled himself on a lesser version of Clinton Grybus. Sadly, I don't think he has the passion for football that we all would like and if he is not careful he could be have a limited media career.

Even though I am a big fan of his, I to can see that his limitations are starting to stand out and he is an idiot if he doesn't do something about it.

Edited by Theo

I reckon the OX is OK. So hes a bit of a fun commentator, well that's fine, cant be too serious all the time can we? I like his light hearted comments and what I love is that he never misses an opportunity to stick up for the MFC.

So thats why he was employed by an Top 8 club as an Forward coach.

So he's not articulate enough for modern media junkies who want some [censored] talk about how the wheels been reinvented and all your fathers Ideas are & always were obsolete.

He's a Melbourne great, and a fantastic radio drive time Jock.

Very entertaining & humerous, (Humour or humor (see spelling differences) is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoral medicine of the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humors (Latin: humor, "body fluid"), control human health and emotion.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour LoL...

Dogs had him sparingly for one season.

Often mixes players names up and is confused by modern football, if you make your dough on a particular subject, you should know something about it. Clearly his job is to be funny as 7 have got him as far away from the real thing as they can. I'd say puerile rather than humorous. You may prefer him because you can understand him, rather than the '[censored] talk' you find a bit over your head?

Radio at the end of the day is about satisifying your audience. Whilst alot of football enthusiasts like to talk X's and O's for some that is simply over their head. SEN has an older audience alot of whom would not understand everything someone like Plough has to say. David is excellent at giving a Seperate take but it doesn't make him better or worse. Just depends to what type of radio commentator you like.

FWIW, you sound like a really bad 'red and blue' bloke.

Poor Ox

I love the man but he isn't the most articulate of men. Gotta love his sometimes out spoken love and passion for the club. If only more past players in the media had his guts to defend the honor of our club in the public domain. At least he is sprucking the club when appropriate

Because I do not agree with your assessment of his 'talent'?

Not at all but you've added nothing to the conversation other than running off your mouth and how he's useless at football knowledge other than his gambling addiction. Your opinion great but dont belittle people who may enjoy his take.

Guest Jackie

I think the OX is quite good as a sports media commentator. Not the most articulate but entertaining and always is himself. I thought his special comments on the Channel 7 TV broadcasts were quite insightful and delivered in a clear and simple way with no abstractions that were easily understood by all. Too many other commentators talk like they assume that their listeners are already experts.

And I hate it how many who criticise him need to bring up his past personal issues that have nothing to do with his work to reinforce their arguments.

No matter what you think of his football knowledge, he does have good contacts. He was one of the fisrt to break the story that Scully was definately, positevely leaving (didn't he say 99% sure?) and he copped alot of crap for saying so, particularly from supporters.

he's never going to be a dennis "the voice" cometti or bruce "the jockey" mcavaney, but he isn't trying to be.

noone complained when dipper was a boundry rider giving simple yet inciteful comments, and the great ox should be taken

at face value and enjoyed for what he does well instead of trying to make him into something he's not

The OX's great gift is he takes everyone for who they are. David doesn't need to prove anything. He's been close to the top, hindered by those knees. A couple of degrees isn't a bad effort either. He's smarter than his happy go lucky persona portrays. He's managed a career that lets him play golf and go fishing. He's probably pretty happy with his lot in life now. To many commentators have never been there and are still trying to prove something. Clinton Grybus put the hours in because he was still trying to make it. I can take Plough for an hour once a week but imagine him for three hours every night. Too many commentators have never been there and are still trying to prove something. Some analyse the game ad infinitum and they can be interesting at times. Most are just sprouting opinions that rarely have much bearing on the game. How many of the so called experts lead the tipping competition? But that's what football chatter is all about. A bit like this forum, we all put up with the good the bad and the ugly. It's all hot air, but that's what most of us want in the cold winter. As soon as you take yourself seriously when it comes to talking sport, especially footy, then you've got problems. It's time to get out and get a real life.

what's your problem buddy? The OX is a Demon legend why give it to him? lf you don't have anything nice to say about blokes who are Demon's through and through don't say anything!!!!

I also listened to the interview and thought it was outstanding.An interesting point raised by David,was that right through the time that Daniher was there,Daniher could not cop the Ox, thought he was not good enough.

Edited by savoydee

Wow, express an opinion different to some and you need to get a life! If you feel that strongly about it maybe you need to take some of your own advice!

You couldn't have gone in lower, or harder IF you tried.

"His gambling addiction is about the only thing he can offer insight on. His football analysis is rubbish and is limited to either writing players off or labeling others as champions."

Sounds very personal, and thats why its so poor.

I also listened to the interview and thought it was outstanding.An interesting point raised by David,was that right through the time that Daniher was there,Daniher could not cop the Ox, thought he was not good enough.

It was no secret they didn't get along. Maybe Daniher should have been more ruthless and traded him, or maybe Daniher could have got the Ox fitter at times. However the Ox did win a B&F under Daniher's coaching did he not?

Stating he is an uninformed, clumsy football 'identity' is not stating he was not a good footballer. So you can hop off your soapbox, he does not need you defending him, he is not Bambi!

But that wasn't what the interview was about at all. So why bring it up? It was 100% about his onfield journey.

Wow, express an opinion different to some and you need to get a life! If you feel that strongly about it maybe you need to take some of your own advice!

I didn't say anything about different opinions. In fact I implied that was what we all do and its part of the football culture. My point was that if you take your own opinion too seriously then maybe you do need to get a life. I guess if the shoe fits then....otherwise move on.

It was no secret they didn't get along. Maybe Daniher should have been more ruthless and traded him, or maybe Daniher could have got the Ox fitter at times. However the Ox did win a B&F under Daniher's coaching did he not?

The Ox made Daniher? Oh thats right, daniher was never made.

Out of the 2, give me the Ox.

Let see, both wiped out with multi Knee injuries. Both Top class players. Ox was better. Especially Pre Injury, & better post. But a Lad & larakin.

But Daniher was what, a conservative? And in charge? And we went nowhere but backwards.