2011 Player Review - # 34 Stefan Martin

Demonland

One of the club's big improvers in 2011, Martin came back from off season hip surgery to play a major role as the second ruckman to Mark Jamar. Moreover, when the Russian and Jake Spencer were both injured on the same weekend in late April, Martin competently took over the mantle of the team's main man in the ruck and he did it well.

Games MFC 2011 21 MFC Total 50 Goals MFC 2011 10 MFC Total 16

Games CSFC 2011  1 Goals CSFC 2011 0

MFC Kicks 225 (4th), Marks 96 (5th), Contested Marks 18 (5th), Inside 50s 58 (4th)

Club Champion 147 votes (8th).

Guns are bad. Jamar/Martin/Clark has to be the best ruck division in the league. Stef will probably be immensely benefited by the addition of Leigh Brown to the coaching group, Brown was probably one of the trailblazers for the type of player a backup ruckman now needs be.

OPINION MODERATED. EDITED TO REMOVE DIVISIVE COMMENT. SORRY FOR INCONVENIENCE.

Edited by Chook

Gun. Jamar/Martin/Clark has to be the best ruck division in the league. Stef will probably be immensely benefited by the addition of Leigh Brown to the coaching group, Brown was probably one of the trailblazers for the type of player a backup ruckman now needs be.

And we've got Gawn waiting in the wings when Jamar in particular is injured. Now if we could just get some little folk for them to tap the ball to...

I maintain that Martin is one of the best 2nd rucks in the league and I welcome his continued presence in that role.

I agree, he isnt at the same level but his basketball background makes him the closest thing to NN their is apart from NN. He is athletic, often pushes forward from the center and has that ability to shimmy a few tackles and take the ball clean from a clearance. This is what makes him such a good 2nd ruck, he often acts like another rover once the ball hits the deck. But isnt perfect and has a bit to still learn/consistency

Gun. Jamar/Martin/Clark has to be the best ruck division in the league. Stef will probably be immensely benefited by the addition of Leigh Brown to the coaching group, Brown was probably one of the trailblazers for the type of player a backup ruckman now needs be.

I reckon "gun" is going a bit too far but he is emerging from being a potential athletic talent into a genuine footballer. If he can take more marks in 2012, he will reek havoc on opposition teams because for some reason, other teams don't pay him the respect he is due. Love his 2nd and 3rd efforts, love his work rate, love his desire to take the game on through baulking and running around opponents. For mine, 2012 is the most exciting because of the likley improvement from him and Rohan Bail.

Edited by Maldonboy38

Probably the find of the year for us, hiding in plain site..lol

Certainly adds flexibility to the line up. Wil be very interesting to see how and where Neeld uses him in 2012. Very versatile

Well done Stef.

Jeebus Christ.

C'mon Chook.

Gun?

Really?

Some on here consider him a 'gun' 2nd ruck.

Use DABDA and try to accept that fact.

Don't Ask Because Doubting's Anathema?

Some on here consider him a 'gun' 2nd ruck.

Use DABDA and try to accept that fact.

He said 'gun'.

Let's not go there again RPFC.

Talk to any non baised supporter of the AFL, (including melbourne supporters outside of demonland), and tell me the percentage of them that think he is a 'gun' or a 'gun' backup ruckman.

I'm telling you now, you won't find many.

Realist. Realist. Realist.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

And for all you demonland romantics out there that think I am putting a negative spin on a thread, I am not.

My two cents/(sense..?)

Congrats big Stef for a year in which we saw you take your first steps out of your enormous shell. You showed some real improvement in a number of games and if you continue to show this improvement throughout the next couple/few years, you may actually be seen as a 'gun' player or 'gun' second ruckman.

Yours truly,

Steve.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

He said 'gun'.

Let's not go there again RPFC.

Talk to any non baised supporter of the AFL, (including melbourne supporters outside of demonland), and tell me the percentage of them that think he is a 'gun' or a 'gun' backup ruckman.

I'm telling you now, you won't find many.

Realist. Realist. Realist.

Yes he said 'gun.' And then he went on to espouse the benefit a back up ruckman in Assistant Coach Leigh Brown would have on him.

Stefan Martin is a gun 2nd ruck.

Many believe that fact.

Come to terms with it.

And I am willing to back Chook's judgement on this issue.

Mainly because it is similar to mine...

I've gone back and George Lucas'd my post. I hope it is now devoid of any and all overstated opinions (although I'm sure someone will find something wrong with the first sentence). He is not a gun footballer in the sense that Judd or Ablett are, but he is quite a good back-up ruckman and footballer in his own right. Where the word "gun" ranks on that nebulus "champion-star-spud" list is probably beyond the scope of this thread and not something I really care to mess with.

Edited by Chook

I've gone back and George Lucas'd my post. I hope it is now devoid of any and all overstated opinions (although I'm sure someone will find something wrong with the first sentence).

You do realise that we all hate George Lucas, don't you?

Stef's a gun 2nd ruck.

Stand tall, Chook.

Yes he said 'gun.' And then he went on to espouse the benefit a back up ruckman in Assistant Coach Leigh Brown would have on him.

Stefan Martin is a gun 2nd ruck.

Many believe that fact.

Come to terms with it.

And I am willing to back Chook's judgement on this issue.

Mainly because it is similar to mine...

I will not come to terms with something so ridiculous.

It's the same jagen I hear on this forum about many players year in year out. Morton, Bate etc.

I've gone back and George Lucas'd my post. I hope it is now devoid of any and all overstated opinions (although I'm sure someone will find something wrong with the first sentence). He is not a gun footballer in the sense that Judd or Ablett are, but he is quite a good back-up ruckman and footballer in his own right. Where the word "gun" ranks on that nebulus "champion-star-spud" list is probably beyond the scope of this thread and not something I really care to mess with.

Thank you Chook.

I will not come to terms with something so ridiculous.

It's the same jagen I hear on this forum about many players year in year out. Morton, Bate etc.

You don't have to come to terms with Stef being a gun 2nd ruck.

You have to come to terms with other people believing he is a gun 2nd ruck.

Respect other people's views and they will respect yours.

• Like 1