1st round after club

===============

GWS (after Crows/Davis for Crouch)

Bulldogs (after Dogs/Ward)

Melbourne (after Melbourne/Scully)

Geelong (after Geelong/Ablett)

Mid 1st round after non-finalists

========================

GWS (Geelong/Ablett via Gold Coast for O'Meara)

Melbourne (Melbourne/Scully)

Could somebody please explain how Gold Coast came about the selection it ultimately used as part of the deal to get O'Meara?

I understood that Geelong received two compensatory picks for Ablett and that it activated one of them in last year's national draft i.e. pick 15 which was used to select Billie Smedts.

How is it then that your list shows Geelong having its one remaining pick and GWS now holding what was supposed to have been the other Ablett compensation pick through the O'Meara deal.

Given that Geelong activated that compensatory pick almost 12 months ago for pick #15 in the 2010 draft, I'm mystified how what appears to be the same pick was used by Gold Coast to get O'Meara.

How did this come about and is it another case of the AFL making things up on the run to help out the new franchises at the expense of the existing clubs?

Could somebody please explain how Gold Coast came about the selection it ultimately used as part of the deal to get O'Meara?

I understood that Geelong received two compensatory picks for Ablett and that it activated one of them in last year's national draft i.e. pick 15 which was used to select Billie Smedts.

How is it then that your list shows Geelong having its one remaining pick and GWS now holding what was supposed to have been the other Ablett compensation pick through the O'Meara deal.

Given that Geelong activated that compensatory pick almost 12 months ago for pick #15 in the 2010 draft, I'm mystified how what appears to be the same pick was used by Gold Coast to get O'Meara.

How did this come about and is it another case of the AFL making things up on the run to help out the new franchises at the expense of the existing clubs?

I think they traded one of the compo picks to GC last year, for pick 15 which they used on Smedts,

• Like 1

I think you will see the Dee's use compo pick's to get an established player/s.

Do we have to trade any picks or players if we are after a free agent? ie. Pendlebury

If we do I was going to suggest we use them on Pendlebury. We require leaders, consistency and players that are proven footballers in the system for a number of years.

I we will be definitely be adding experience to our list rather than youn draftees.

Viney + a Pendlebury is fantastic for our list. Good mix.

Idea! We tank for 1, 2 and 9.

Keep that idea under your hat please.

At some point we have to start cultivating a winning culture. Whilst I've applauded previous tanks we now start playing for wins. Otherwise we will be regarded as the team who only tanks and will surely be considered a joke!

I understood that Geelong received two compensatory picks for Ablett and that it activated one of them in last year's national draft i.e. pick 15 which was used to select Billie Smedts.

Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't they give GWS selection number 4 which they had for finishing last this year??? Not a compensatory pick, just a regular draft pick.

Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't they give GWS selection number 4 which they had for finishing last this year??? Not a compensatory pick, just a regular draft pick.

No they gave both pick 4 and the Geelong compo pick for O'Meara and pick 31

http://www.afl.com.au/trade%20tracker/tabid/10490/default.aspx

We would have needed to give 12 + both compo picks straight up to top this I reckon.

Where did you get the 9 from?

I may have made a slight miscalculation there.

According to Old55:

Mid 1st round after non-finalists

========================

GWS (Geelong/Ablett via Gold Coast for O'Meara)

Melbourne (Melbourne/Scully)

We would get the first pick after the ten non finalists, which would be pick 11.

But since there are four clubs (including us) eligible for first round compensation picks in any of the next few drafts, it is pretty difficult to nail down the exact pick number.

I may have made a slight miscalculation there.

According to Old55:

We would get the first pick after the ten non finalists, which would be pick 11.

But since there are four clubs (including us) eligible for first round compensation picks in any of the next few drafts, it is pretty difficult to nail down the exact pick number.

OK thats better, but make the 11min as a 12min because you already have 1 compo at pick 2. Cheers

Idea! We tank for 1, 2 and 9.

Assuming no other teams use compo picks, which is lunacy, or get priority picks, then we'd have 1, 2 & 11.

The other bonus is that no team would be ahead of us to bid for Viney, so we'd be free to use our 2nd round pick to select him.

Assuming no other teams use compo picks, which is lunacy, or get priority picks, then we'd have 1, 2 & 11.

The other bonus is that no team would be ahead of us to bid for Viney, so we'd be free to use our 2nd round pick to select him.

nah best is 1,2,12 'cos 2 is a compo

you should read prev posts

I read them.

It'd be 1, 2 & 11.

Without 2 being our compo pick, it'd be 1 & 10.

The "mid round pick" is just before the eight (8) finalists. There are 18 sides. 18-8 = 10. 10 normal picks then mid pick is 11. Add the "after first round" pick at 2 and mid pick becomes 12

Got it

Yep. We talked about that further up the page.

Lol, you want to know the definition of lunacy?

Thinking there is any chance we can finish bottom with GWS in the mix. And thinking Neeld will orchestrate a tank. There will be no more tanking.

Tanks.

Lol, you want to know the definition of lunacy?

Thinking there is any chance we can finish bottom with GWS in the mix. And thinking Neeld will orchestrate a tank. There will be no more tanking.

Tanks.

I used to think the definition of lunacy was losing to Geelong by 31 goals ................changed my mind but

The "mid round pick" is just before the eight (8) finalists. There are 18 sides. 18-8 = 10. 10 normal picks then mid pick is 11. Add the "after first round" pick at 2 and mid pick becomes 12

Got it

No, the mid round pick comes after the first 9 teams have picked.

No, the mid round pick comes after the first 9 teams have picked.

It comes after the non-finalists - that's 10 teams from 2012 onwards:

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=123360

Melbourne - Mid-Round One selection (Tom Scully)

The selection for Tom Scully may be activated by Melbourne at the middle of round one, after the round one selections for those clubs that have missed qualification for the finals in that year and before the round one selections of those clubs that have qualified for the finals in that year, in any one of the 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 NAB AFL Draft Selection Meetings.

FFS, why make a correction that is so patently wrong when 2 minutes of investigation could uncover this? It's just as bad as "whose pick is the pick after?"

• 2 weeks later...

Have there been any updates to the priority pick rules of late or are they due for review? If not then I'm thinking GC will probably have a 1st round PP next year and Port or Brisbane are remote chances as well. Given GC have a mid round pick as well, our mid round compo pick could end up being pick 10 at best and pick 14 at the worst or am I missing something here?

Edited by 1858

Have there been any updates to the priority pick rules of late or are they due for review? If not then I'm thinking GC will probably have a 1st round PP next year and Port or Brisbane are remote chances as well. Given GC have a mid round pick as well, our mid round compo pick could end up being pick 10 at best and pick 14 at the worst or am I missing something here?

No you are not. U might also have to factor in compo picks being used immediately after a clubs first rounder, which could further push our picks back.

These compo picks are being valued way too much. These picks might come out at pick 15 & 20. Even in a "superdraft" it would have to be bloody super if we were any chance of selecting some gun kids. Our best bet is to trade them away for some quality experienced players afaic. The chances of us drafting superstars with these picks isn't great - we just might end up with another Bate & Dunn pair.

Thank god we have Viney secured. I couldn't care if he cost us pick#1 in the draft (not that we will have it), we need to bring in quality mids, as ours looks rather thin and we all know that the midfield needs to be nothing short of impressive if you are serious about contending for a premiership.

Edited by Demon Disciple

U might also have to factor in compo picks being used immediately after a clubs first rounder, which could further push our picks back.

Fair point.

The other thing is that GWS have another year at uncontracteds (is that a word?) and we could see a couple more 1st round selections (after regular 1st round pick) & mid 1st round selections (between finalists and non finalists) handed out to other clubs. There's 3 in total floating around atm (excluding ours). Having said that GC got their mid 1st round selection from Geelong so I'm thinking ours would be before theirs if the respective picks were activated and Geelong assumably finish above us next year.

These compo picks are being valued way too much. These picks might come out at pick 15 & 20. Even in a "superdraft" it would have to be bloody super if we were any chance of selecting some gun kids. Our best bet is to trade them away for some quality experienced players afaic. The chances of us drafting superstars with these picks isn't great - we just might end up with another Bate & Dunn pair.

For mine it is a little early to tell without having any idea about next year's draft and our particular needs after a year under Neeld but I understand where you're coming from - we may try to trade some of our picks if they slip too far and perhaps some people have over-valued these picks. I think it will be more the pure number of picks we have that will give us the leeway we want that matters.

Thank god we have Viney secured. I couldn't care if he cost us pick#1 in the draft (not that we will have it), we need to bring in quality mids, as ours looks rather thin and we all know that the midfield needs to be nothing short of impressive if you are serious about contending for a premiership.

Definitely, obviously we would want to use the lowest pick possible but I get the feeling whatever pick we have to use to get him it will be a massive coup for us when you consider how far our picks could slip.

Edited by 1858