• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mark Neeld

Real Demon

Impossible to know whether this is a good appointment or not..........only time will answer that question!

I just hope he is given every ounce of support from the club, and the internal issues are resolved pronto, so he can focus on the job and and not be distracted by club bs!

Certainly appears and sounds like a switched on guy, but so does Bailey.

The club knows how critical this appointment is, and we have to back them in to get it right.............being a Stynes administration appointment, I'm confident we have our man!

Go Dees!!!!!!

Lets hope so! Malthouse rates him so thats a positive!

Would have liked to have heard things like win back respect, non negotiable,winning culture

I want him to come out & say that we will no longer except that the queens b/day against the filth is our GF.

Our GF should be the last day in Sept!

This from the Adelaide board on BF:

.... today had the opportunity to speak with a person who has a significant role at the Collingwood Football Club.

Mark Neeld had the opportunity of both the Adelaide Football Club and Melbourne Football Club roles, both offered to him as of yesterday, however Adelaide have been educated to deny that this was the case and Mark Neeld has been instructed by Melbourne to not discuss the issue other than how he signed with the Melbourne Football Club, this is factually correct and if you get the opportunity I'm sure the AFC will not deny that this is the case, there were 3 reasons that Mark Neeld chose the Melbourne Football Club Senior Coaching position:

1) Mark Neeld in conjunction with Malthouse viewed both teams list - scope for development, scope for carrying out the game plan that Neeld plans to introduce and the general talent being viewed as superior to Adelaide due to astute drafting due to sustained poor performance.

2) Mark Neeld felt that the Melbourne Football Club had stabilised its management performance and is continuing to excel in the financial department, with the 3rd highest sponsorship deals and another to be announced in the coming 2 weeks, he felt Adelaide's off field financial performance was less than stable with much work to be done.

3) Mark Neeld was satisfied with the support staff that are going to be provided as part of his coaching set up with long term deals about to be announced as part of the shake up of the Football Department, this includes the area of Sports Science and Football innovations.

.... today had the opportunity to speak with a person who has a significant role at the Collingwood Football Club.

Mark Neeld had the opportunity of both the Adelaide Football Club and Melbourne Football Club roles, both offered to him as of yesterday, however Adelaide have been educated to deny that this was the case and Mark Neeld has been instructed by Melbourne to not discuss the issue other than how he signed with the Melbourne Football Club, this is factually correct and if you get the opportunity I'm sure the AFC will not deny that this is the case, there were 3 reasons that Mark Neeld chose the Melbourne Football Club Senior Coaching position:

1) Mark Neeld in conjunction with Malthouse viewed both teams list - scope for development, scope for carrying out the game plan that Neeld plans to introduce and the general talent being viewed as superior to Adelaide due to astute drafting due to sustained poor performance.

2) Mark Neeld felt that the Melbourne Football Club had stabilised its management performance and is continuing to excel in the financial department, with the 3rd highest sponsorship deals and another to be announced in the coming 2 weeks, he felt Adelaide's off field financial performance was less than stable with much work to be done.

3) Mark Neeld was satisfied with the support staff that are going to be provided as part of his coaching set up with long term deals about to be announced as part of the shake up of the Football Department, this includes the area of Sports Science and Football innovations.

I know it came off bigfooty and all but jeez I hope that mail is accurate, especially point 3.

We really need to make sure we get the best possible assistants in to support Neeld. I hope they put a lot of time and effort into the appointment of the assistants as well.

Very happy with the way this was handled by the club. I posted mid season that the last thing I wanted to see was a public interview process complete with powerpoint presentations. Just work out who you want and go get him, and they did.

well.. youd have to take anything read any where really with a pinch of salt but thepoints have a nice reasonace to them.

I cant really commnet on 2) other than we seem to have overcome immense hurdles to get to a position of fiscal maturity and direction

Id agree , as unbiasedly as I can , that our list ought to be better and regards 3) that would indeed be heartening .

All bodes well if even halfway true ;)

they forgot reason 4) theyre Adelaide and we're Melbourne :)

I just find the "not landing the big fish" disappointment interesting.

I love Mick Malthouse but draw a line under him up until 2009 - success or failure ? Two GF's for no flags in nine years under an administration that spared no expense ?

Ross Lyon - has done remarkable well but the Saints are looking decidedly on the wane - did not snare the big one

Clarkson - also has done very well but took his group to premiership and since then has been "daniher-esque"

Bomber Thompson - sustained success but took a while to get there

The take home message is that these proven coaches can be made to look good because of good teams. On the flip side good teams are developed by good but not necessarily proven coaches. You need a lot of things to go your way. Why did Hawks win the flag 2008 but struggled to replicate that form up to this year. How did the Saints go to 2 GF's in two years and this year limp in. Why did it take MM 10 years to get the ultimate prize.

The "big fish" won the first four premierships of 2000's - Sheedy and Matthews ( Matthews because he had done it before at Collingwood and I include madman Sheedy because he went up the mountain again to grab a flag) bit since then Port ( Williams) - an assistant, Swans (Roo's) an assistant, Eagles ( Worsfold) an assistant, Cats ( Thompson) - an assistant, Hawks ( Clarkson) - an assistant and then Thompson again and MM.

Looking at this history ( and ignore history at your own peril) I ask the question - would you go any other way but to hire an assistant coach ?

I am firmly in the camp of wait and see - I like the noises Neeld makes and look forward to it being translated into positive action.

well.. youd have to take anything read any where really with a pinch of salt but thepoints have a nice reasonace to them.

I cant really commnet on 2) other than we seem to have overcome immense hurdles to get to a position of fiscal maturity and direction

Id agree , as unbiasedly as I can , that our list ought to be better and regards 3) that would indeed be heartening .

Now we are getting somewhere BB!

That one frightens me.

I just find the "not landing the big fish" disappointment interesting.

I love Mick Malthouse but draw a line under him up until 2009 - success or failure ? Two GF's for no flags in nine years under an administration that spared no expense ?

Ross Lyon - has done remarkable well but the Saints are looking decidedly on the wane - did not snare the big one

Clarkson - also has done very well but took his group to premiership and since then has been "daniher-esque"

Bomber Thompson - sustained success but took a while to get there

The take home message is that these proven coaches can be made to look good because of good teams. On the flip side good teams are developed by good but not necessarily proven coaches. You need a lot of things to go your way. Why did Hawks win the flag 2008 but struggled to replicate that form up to this year. How did the Saints go to 2 GF's in two years and this year limp in. Why did it take MM 10 years to get the ultimate prize.

The "big fish" won the first four premierships of 2000's - Sheedy and Matthews ( Matthews because he had done it before at Collingwood and I include madman Sheedy because he went up the mountain again to grab a flag) bit since then Port ( Williams) - an assistant, Swans (Roo's) an assistant, Eagles ( Worsfold) an assistant, Cats ( Thompson) - an assistant, Hawks ( Clarkson) - an assistant and then Thompson again and MM.

Looking at this history ( and ignore history at your own peril) I ask the question - would you go any other way but to hire an assistant coach ?

I am firmly in the camp of wait and see - I like the noises Neeld makes and look forward to it being translated into positive action.

The question is did we do enough to chase Lyon or to entice MM to come over?? Imagine the presser if we landed MM the extra memberships would have paid for his contract.

The MFC just needs that wow factor! The presser just sounded boring no pazzaz

Dont get me wrong i think/wish Neeld will be good & hope he can change the culture of our playing list, line in the sand stuff etc

I reckon your 4 is the clincher!

The question is did we do enough to chase Lyon or to entice MM to come over?? Imagine the presser if we landed MM the extra memberships would have paid for his contract.

The MFC just needs that wow factor! The presser just sounded boring no pazzaz

Dont get me wrong i think/wish Neeld will be good & hope he can change the culture of our playing list, line in the sand stuff etc

!00% right and I hadn't factored that in.

As a football onfield decision I have no problem with Neeld.

Financially, even though both a MM and RL would cost more, the financial bottom line would look better with an MM and to a lesser extent RL at our club - you would back in higher memberships at all levels.

The other thing which a MM or RL would bring to the club is an immediate impact on the attitude some other clubs players ( and assistants and even sponsors) - "MM is at the MFC and thats where I want to go".

For those who couldn't switch on...

Neeld, in the red polo, from ~10:30 with Mark Robinson, Nick Reiwoldt, Richo, Tom Harley hosting.

Began with clips from the press conference. "I'm ready to go!"

First thing you'll do at the demons - get to know everyone

How much do you know about the list - research, spoken to people, keen to get into inner sanctum

What excites you most about list, what game plan will you bring - age of list excites me, natural talent, people involved in coach selection really passionate, unified, keen to improve ladder position first and foremost, in terms of game style there'll be a bit of Collingwood but you cannot pick a game style up completely and transplant it to another club

Have you spoken to TV? - TV did a great a job and will continue to be a big part of Melbourne, very passionate, great at his job, lots to offer

From Robbo, re: Neil Craig, ?director of coaching etc... - Neeld looks skyward and says, what I need is to be a part of a really strong coaching group, off after interview to go to work to talk about the group we're putting together, no announcements now, won't speculate

72 hours ago with Pies training for finals, where were you at?? - had a pre training meeting, discussing approach to training, pies went to do stretching, neeld checked text message from manager liam pickering, keep your phone on could be a good day, next message from cam schwab, neeld reads it quietly in the corner of the training room and calls CS back, MM from 10m behind calls Neeld and Neeld has to hang up on CS and then go out and do training...and then call back CS after!

Running at a million miles at the moment, whirlwind etc... Not much quiet time. Lots of text messages to reply to. Went to bed with half of Ocean Grove in lounge room. Interviewed straight through to 10:37.

Neeld staying on the panel. Asked to comment on Collingwood vs Hawthorn - "Pies will get the job done." Suggested Daisy and Ben Reid will both play. Actually looks a bit uncomfortable with the whole matey panel thing, eyes darting around to the tv monitors etc... Got asked some question about alcohol and pretty much just let it straight through to the keeper. If you look closely, I reckon you can see Sherrins in his pupils. Doesn't look like much else is on his mind.

Neeld - is it true that you've got 3 daughters who are champion netballers? - well, champion is a word that's thrown around too often.

Is it true that Heath Shaw is endlessly trying to get a date with one of your daughters, and what do you think - yes, and not too impressed

Best player you played with at Richmond - clearly Richo ( to laughs)

Comes across like the hardarse vice-principal who actually gets the job done. Maybe he'll carry a strap? I'd like to see Cale Morton warm down after his daily detention sessions in the gym with 1000 lines on the whiteboard -

"Bigger, stronger, harder, tougher. Cale Morton will be a bad arse mother who doesn't take no crap off of nobody!"

We should send Cale to a WA mine and not play him until he comes back looking like the Hulk. Come on Vice Principal Neeld, send him away.

Comes across like the hardarse vice-principal who actually gets the job done. Maybe he'll carry a strap? I'd like to see Cale Morton warm down after his daily detention sessions in the gym with 1000 lines on the whiteboard -

"Bigger, stronger, harder, tougher. Cale Morton will be a bad arse mother who doesn't take no crap off of nobody!"

We should send Cale to a WA mine and not play him until he comes back looking like the Hulk. Come on Vice Principal Neeld, send him away.

Even on a thread about the new coach, someone somehow finds an oppotunity to take a pot shot at cale morton. Give the guy a break, get behind him and he might surprise you in 2012. At least don't weave every post into a backstab cale opportunity.

Did you see when he took that DVD to that press conference to highlight how "hard" the Crows were? It was one of the best laughs I've had all year. Completely bizarre to even do it, and every 'contest' in the package was just a run of the mill average contest, nothing at all hard about them. I think he has always been a little mental, if it's true that he's coming to us, at least I might get a laugh if we have yet another [censored] poor season.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. By that point, Craig was clinging on to dear life and I think he knew he wouldn't be there next year.