The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Striker475

Blease was terrific. Loved his run and carry. Bennell also seemed to have his mojo back.

Jones was a soldier as always.

The rest was bad and ugly. The fact halfway through the fourth quarter we looked like being run over by a group of kids might present a fourth category: the shocking. I think Jimmy's face in the box summed it up.

Blease was terrific. Loved his run and carry. Bennell also seemed to have his mojo back.

Jones was a soldier as always.

The rest was bad and ugly. The fact halfway through the fourth quarter we looked like being run over by a group of kids might present a fourth category: the shocking. I think Jimmy's face in the box summed it up.

I thought 90% of melbourne's game was rubbish

If it wasn't for Blease and a few cameos here and there I would have wasted another afternoon.

Geez we have a looooong way to go. We badly need a psychiatric coach.

The Good

Blease

McDonald

Garland

Frawley

Bennell

Jamar's tap work

Moloney

Jones

The Bad

Poor intensity too often throughout the game

Watts. He was really poor today. Dropped chest marks and single-grab marks, hung back when he should have gone in, seemed to be in self-preservation mode. He has been great this year but he looks shagged.

Tom McNamara. His time has come - he is only a VFL footballer and today proved it.

The Ugly

Jurrah injured (again)

Our ability to deaden play at stoppages. Swallow etc... murdered us with spread around the packs

I couldn't get there and the crowd was terrible.

Edited by Maldonboy38

The Good

BLEASE! This kid is an absolute jet. Lighting fast, poised, good user of the footy (28 disposals at 82% efficiency, as well as most 'metres gained') and today he showed an improved work rate and gut-running. Was very impressed with his running both ways.

Tom McDonald. Really composed, cool calm head deep in defense. Was rarely beaten and almost had a little bit of Dustin Fletcher about him. Very impressive debut and looks a real find.

Howe's immediate impact as the sub.

Garland.

Moloney hitting the scoreboard in Sylvia's absence (should have had 4)

Green playing as he should (if not a tad greedy in front of goal).

The Bad

Cale Morton. The kid's confidence just looks totally shot. Had a purple patch at the start of the 3rd i think, but overall was a poor effort again from Cale.

Tom McNamara. I've been a fan of his and was hoping he would have a strong showing today, but he just couldn't get near it. Didn't do enough and probably won't get another go to save his career next week.

Moloney's miss from 20 out directly in front.

The fact I found it difficult to cheer at times. The game lacked intensity and both teams just looked to be going through the motions. Despite the performance of Blease and the relatively close scoreline, the game was a complete snoozefest.

The Ugly

Jurrah's shoulder, hopefully it's not too bad.

Losing a million clearances in a row in the 2nd quarter.

Our inability to play with strong intent and purpose over 4 quarters. I think every other team in the league would have beaten us today on that effort. We were very ordinary and only scored a lot of the time as a result of GCS turnovers. We really weren't able to impose ourselves and control the game the way Todd would've liked and overall, despite the 4 pts, it was a pretty disappointing effort. A bit like last week, but with a different result. As a team our confidence is shot, and you can see it.

I'm not sure that we can beat Port over there next week.

Edited by Doggo

All in the context of this being a junk time match....so not taking much notice of anyone's performance...

The Good

- Bleases run and line breaking carry as well as eyes down delivery hitting up leading targets :blink:(something that most of the top clubs do quite a lot of but is strange to see at the MFC lol)

- Bennell (as above but not as often and not necessarily hitting up targets as well as Blease)

- Viney's attempt at a new forward defensive game plan...birth of 'The Vacuum'!

- Jones, nice effort and contesting. In particular during first half when the heat was on.

- Garland steady

- Bartram's effort on Ablett and in general contested play

- Moloney

- The match up of Bennell on Moloney in the middle early (big win for us)

- Frawley in the first half

- Howe's movement and presenting up nicely when coming on as well as adding a little more inferred pressure to our forward line set up

- Tom McDonald's first up effort

- Jamar showing a little of his old self, in particular his tap work

The Bad

- Defence letting the ball out the back in the goal square a few times resulting in a few cheap GCS goals

- Bombing the ball on top of target's heads when coming i50 almost always

- Watts going to ground too often in general contested play

- Watts getting under the ball and dropping a few relatively easy marks

- Overdoing the handball in the first half (Mckenzie but not alone)

- Losing the contested possession count to a first year club in the first half

- Field kicking generally not the greatest. Huge amount of work needed over pre season here.

- Lack of contested marks in the first half

- Bartram not being awarded a free kick for a brilliant tackle on Ablett with 3:50 to go in the 2nd which eventualy resulted in a GCS goal

The Ugly

- Scully's & Morton's shade of whiteness....sunglasses a must!

Edited by Rusty Nails

Best thing about Blease today was seeing him change gears. One run in particular he was cruising through CHB and looked like he was about to be caught by two tacklers coming in from the sides. He just accelerated and suddenly they were both out of touch and he was bouncing it through the middle. Unbelievable burst of speed.