The Fevola vote

tonatopia

Should the MFC draft fevola as a rookie in 2012?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a lighter note, this clip is sure to get a laugh.

Obviously produced after the infamous Brownlow night.

Perfect answer. We get a big full forward (min cost) and protect ourselves with the behaviour clauses in his contract. Its a win win. 3rd time lucky for Fev!!!

Its a lose lose for the Club. Did you not see the pain Carlton and Brisbane went through trying to enforce a behaviour clause in the contracts. Its a legal and PR nightmare if we ever had to enact such a clause.

Fair enough and good points I guess. I like the idea of Fev (redeemed goal kicker) but are too removed from Casey to analyse his performance and suitability for modern AFL deeply enough, i.e. ability to apply defensive pressure, adhere to team structures and roles etc... and find that much of the debate re-Fev doesn't go into this cool analysis of his football value. Some are saying he'd be a good fit at Freo, why? So what I'm trying to get to is a baggage free analysis of Fevs footy value

I'd love to hear an in depth evaluation of where his footy is at and what he'd need to improve to become an AFL asset again. And given that analysis of his Footy value explore how it matches up to the needs of our footy team. I personally see there is a good fit, but as I mentioned I've not followed his football performances closely enough this year to provide an in depth analysis (i.e. like we discuss on any potential draftee)...

Its likely that Footy media will link Fev with every club that does not categorically rule him out. And anyone that does that in the media risks being seen as mean spirited toward someone who is trying to redeem himself. Freo is just the first.

I spoke to an AFL assistant coach at another club who I have known for a number of years. They have need for a KPF. His view about Fev is that given what they know they would not touch him with a barge pole.

And given its Fev its not possible to assess the football value alone because the rest of his life issues are so critical to that assessment

He'd be a good fit at freo because it's a two horse town over here.

He was a terrible fit in Queensland. Its not the town that is the issue. Its the indvidual.

He was a terrible fit in Queensland. Its not the town that is the issue. Its the indvidual.

I thought that was the obvious theme in my post.

................ - Provided a negative influence during the development of our kids (our future)? Not that I'm aware of. The same could be said in regard provision of the positive influence. He is still an on field sulk and a hothead at times. Its not good enough. ......................

There's been plenty a hot head and sulk at VFL/AFL level that continued to get a game and others who've gone on to become stars or very good players.

Some examples of players who are either serial sulks/hot heads, or occasional offenders (other than Fev that is lol):

> Lynden Dunn. Seen him sulk as well as the hot head side on a number of occasions. Once i recall he sulked and did a Richo in our forward line, throwing his hands in the air in disgust as he wasn't on the end of a pass coming into our 50 even though he was open (and asking for it beforehand). He did the sulk/dummy spit rather than bother to chase/tackle nearby opponent who had since grabbed the ball on turn over and was running past him the other way (some might say, doing a Fev lol) He still got a game the week after.

> Fraser Gehrig .....

> Adam Goodes ....Goodes on angry pill

> Matthew Richardson (Biggest sulk of all time lol?)

> Brian Taylor

> Cameron Mooney

> Greg Williams

> Gary Ablett Jnr

I'm sure there's others if i could be bothered with it

Having said that, Fevs not going to play with the Demons so i'm not sure what all the fuss is STILL about on here.

Edited by Rusty Nails

I worry about the possible fracturing effect it could have on a united playing group.

If Fev were to endear himself to a section of the playing group, and then commit a minor indiscretion... what would the club do?

:lol: OMG....lmao. Funniest line i've read in a long time. Thanks Gareth.

Let me remind you of how united we were as a playing group at times this year, one game in particular.......

GEELONG 8.3 20.4 28.8 37.11 (233)

MELBOURNE 0.3 1.4 5.4 7.5 (47)

United we stand........

I don't give a rats about whether we should or shouldn't as i know we wont.....but this particular line is up there with the funniest/looniest i've seen on here.

But i agree to a point, lets wrap our boys in cotton wool and protect them at all costs from this cruel world....i'd just hate them to catch something so awful and nasty like a Feverla! Our precious boys! Save them somebody....save them from such a horrible fate would you! Please, I couldn't bare to watch....look away everyone, just look away :lol:

Edited by Rusty Nails

Seems that few want to argue the logic of his merit as a footballer filling a need that the MFC have, so they appeal to other more emotive arguments.

But it isn't as simple as his merit as a footballer.....

There's been plenty a hot head and sulk at VFL/AFL level that continued to get a game and others who've gone on to become stars or very good players.

Some examples of players who are either serial sulks/hot heads, or occasional offenders (other than Fev that is lol):

> Lynden Dunn. Seen him sulk as well as the hot head side on a number of occasions. Once i recall he sulked and did a Richo in our forward line, throwing his hands in the air in disgust as he wasn't on the end of a pass coming into our 50 even though he was open (and asking for it beforehand). He did the sulk/dummy spit rather than bother to chase/tackle nearby opponent who had since grabbed the ball on turn over and was running past him the other way (some might say, doing a Fev lol) He still got a game the week after.

> Fraser Gehrig .....

> Adam Goodes ....Goodes on angry pill

> Matthew Richardson (Biggest sulk of all time lol?)

> Brian Taylor

> Cameron Mooney

> Greg Williams

> Gary Ablett Jnr

I'm sure there's others if i could be bothered with it

Having said that, Fevs not going to play with the Demons so i'm not sure what all the fuss is STILL about on here.

For someone who is on the fringe of football his famous petulance on the field has no place. And none of the above have behaved as immaturely so often and to the detriment of their team as Fevola. Your comparison of Fevola with Dunn's hissyfit is missing the point and extent of the problem. I cant think of another player who has so often directly ignored or disobeyed a coach's instruction on the field. None of the above are anywhere near Fevola. The only comparison was that village idiot Mark Jackson.

I agree with you that MFC wont take him. Its laughable that there are those that want to.

:lol: OMG....lmao. Funniest line i've read in a long time. Thanks Gareth.

The comment would apply to Fev's malignant influence at two united clubs like Brisbane and Carlton. And given MFC are young playing group then it just makes the selection of Fevola with all his baggage all the more laughable. Thats the joke. BTW, the result of the Geelong is an indication of other issues beside a united playing group.

The comment would apply to Fev's malignant influence at two united clubs like Brisbane and Carlton. And given MFC are young playing group then it just makes the selection of Fevola with all his baggage all the more laughable.

This is the same reasoning being given by those that think Fevola won't be taken by GWS.....

This is the same reasoning being given by those that think Fevola won't be taken by GWS.....

Agree with that. I am not sure he will get an AFL gig next year. If any club takes the chance then they need to be brave, wanting to take a risk, are aiming to get a flag in the next 2 years and somehow believe that Fev does that for them. Cant see it happening.

I remember Barry Hall at St Kilda wildly throwing punches at Steven Feaby (i think) in a final. Some years later he was the captain of a Premiership team.

The trajectory of our past does not have to define our path in the future.

And from an aethetic point of view there is still another act to play in this three part drama called "the Brendan Fevola story"

Act 1 - The arrival of a precocious talent

Act 2 - The fall of the spoilt brat

Act 3 - The redemption

Edited by PaulRB

I remember Barry Hall at St Kilda wildly throwing punches at Steven Feaby (i think) in a final. Some years later he was the captain of a Premiership team.

The trajectory of our past does not have to define our path in the future.

And from an aethetic point of view there is still another act to play in this three part drama called "the Brendan Fevola story"

Act 1 - The arrival of a precocious talent

Act 2 - The fall of the spoilt brat

Act 3 - The redemption

Hall has a temper but is an extremely gifted footballer with strong leadership capabilities. The event you refer to with Hall happened when he was 20 years old. He certainly worked hard to present himself as a capable leader within a strong culture. He was an extremely hard trainer throughout his career. Toward the end of his career he blew with a rush of blood on Brett Staker. He has since performed admirably at the Bulldogs on the back of his fitness regime but eventually his body had given out at 34.

On the other hand, Fevola is a perennial socially destructive and immature clown who at 31 may have redemption off the field but his window to do it on the field is limited. He has managed to provide acts of stupidity on and off the field since he was 18.

The analogy with Hall is misguided. Mark Jackson is a better equivalent.

Even if the story is not as fairy tale as big bad Barry's, "The Return of Fev" would be fascinating entertainment, and as the late great Kurt Cobain once sang...

"With the lights out, its less dangerous

Here we are now, entertain us

I feel stupid and contagious

Here we are now , entertain us"

And tell me a forward line with a combination of Watts, Jurrah and Fevola would not be entertaining???

Edited by PaulRB

Even if the story is not as fairy tale as big bad Barry's, "The Return of Fev" would be fascinating entertainment, and as the late great Kurt Cobain once sang...

"With the lights out, its less dangerous

Here we are now, entertain us

I feel stupid and contagious

Here we are now , entertain us"

And tell me a forward line with a combination of Watts, Jurrah and Fevola would not be entertaining???

You know I thought the MFC forward line of years ago including Brent Crosswell and Mark Jackson would be entertaining. It sure was........We didnt win many games with it.

I want to build a sustainable robut team including forwardline that can seriously challenge for a flag within the next couple of years. As part of that there are some non negotiables around culture, character and performance which I dont think Fevola qualifies for.

I want to be entertained by Club playing consistent winning football not held to ransom by on field misfit show demonstrating severe human frailties. I see no place for Fev in that plan.

For someone who is on the fringe of football his famous petulance on the field has no place. And none of the above have behaved as immaturely so often and to the detriment of their team as Fevola. Your comparison of Fevola with Dunn's hissyfit is missing the point and extent of the problem. I cant think of another player who has so often directly ignored or disobeyed a coach's instruction on the field. None of the above are anywhere near Fevola. The only comparison was that village idiot Mark Jackson.

I agree with you that MFC wont take him. Its laughable that there are those that want to.

Careful there Rhino, you might be about to out do Gareth in the laughable line stakes there mate :lol:

So now the great RR has traveled through all VFL/AFL time and been there alongside every coach to witness every instruction issued by a coach to every player ever to have played the game.....and Fev was without doubt the worst of the lot you say?? Wow! That's some effort RR :blink:

Me thinks mad Monday's arrived early at Demonland! Take it easy on that wacky stuff would you Rhino!B)

BTW, the result of the Geelong is an indication of other issues beside a united playing group.

So you're saying they weren't united off the field yeh? Ok, but doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that.

But are you also saying that everything was just dandy on the field of play and we were were a fully united playing group in losing by a record losing margin?? (2nd worst of all time behind our Fitzroy effort and the fourth largest winning total of all time) .

Or you're saying we probably weren't a united playing group on the field either and that the off field accentuated this and didn't help matters?

Please clarify....and please, make it quick would ya! Startin to get a bit buzzed readin' all this :wacko: <<< not a rocket scientist!

Careful there Rhino, you might be about to out do Gareth in the laughable line stakes there mate :lol:

So now the great RR has traveled through all VFL/AFL time and been there alongside every coach to witness every instruction issued by a coach to every player ever to have played the game.....and Fev was without doubt the worst of the lot you say?? Wow! That's some effort RR :blink:

Me thinks mad Monday's arrived early at Demonland! Take it easy on that wacky stuff would you Rhino!B)

LOL Rusty you're a cracker. I'll make it easy for you my Rusted mate. Fevola's antics displayed on and off the field are far greater than any of the players you put forward. You might benefit from travelling through VFL/AFL time. LOL

So you're saying they weren't united off the field yeh? Ok, but doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that.

But are you also saying that everything was just dandy on the field of play and we were were a fully united playing group in losing by a record losing margin?? (2nd worst of all time behind our Fitzroy effort and the fourth largest winning total of all time) .

Or you're saying we probably weren't a united playing group on the field either and that the off field accentuated this and didn't help matters?

Please clarify....and please, make it quick would ya! Startin to get a bit buzzed readin' all this :wacko: <<< not a rocket scientist!

I am not saying anything about them being united on the ground but I think your use of the Geelong game is misleading and does not demonstrate your point.

And hey chill man..I know you are not a rocket scientist..LOL.

Compassion Exercise

Honesty with yourself leads to compassion for others

OBJECTIVE: To increase the amount of compassion in the world.

EXPECTED RESULTS: A personal sense of peace.

INSTRUCTIONS: This exercise can be done anywhere that people congregate. It should be done on strangers, unobtrusively, from some distance. Try to do all five steps on the same person.

Step 1: With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person is seeking some happiness for his/her life."

Step 2: With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life."

Step 3: With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness and despair."

Step 4: With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person is seeking to fulfill his/her needs."

Step 5: With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person is learning about life."

©Copyright 1994 by Harry Palmer, author of the Avatar® materials.

beautiful, beautiful.

Fevola will be snapped up quick, probably by carlton with their 3 round pick in the National Draft.

I doubt he will get to the Rookie draft.

It will be interesting to see how he goes in the final series for Casey.

If a club can pick up Warnock and Fevola, it would make a huge difference to their spine.

Clubs like Carlton, Richmond, Sydney, Bulldogs, StKilda and GWS would be crazy not to look at this duo as a bargain basement trade.