Timing

Born to Run

Given we have to wait until after GF to find out if Malthouse or Clarkson is available, how do we play out the coming months. (I personally dont think Clarkson is a chance, but Malthouse may be)

I see it as a bit of a problem if we think one or both of them are a chance, then we wait to hear from both of them, and then we learn we cant get either of them. We may miss out on other coaches who apply for (say) Adelaide and the WB job. If we agree that these men are the best candidates for the job, how do you get around this problem without burning the other candidates you have? (It is not reasonable for either to give any indication prior to the finals concluding because it will only destabilize their club and their chances of winning the flag).

Also, a new coach will have views on recruiting and trade week. Trade week is only one or two weeks after the GF. Thus if we wait till after GF, any coach appointed after this time will have very limited time to assess the list and make the calls needed.

Timing for MFC is really going to hurt if we are trying massively for Malthouse and we don't get him. How do we manage the risk?

Most of the alternatives to Malthouse would also be involved in finals as assistant coaches etc... minimal risk in my opinion, and well worth if we can snag MM.

I like to think that the club is aware of all the timing issues and more than likely already has the word going out to all prospects. Also, I know this is just a discussion, but I doubt the club will be coming here for advice ;-)

It's a very good topic.

Malthouse is really the key - we need to get some indication from his management that it's not impossible and if so then we need to delay the process until October. We do run the risk of losing other candidates to the Dogs, Crows and possibly Port. And having the coach on for the trade period is a big advantage.

If MM's management says NO WAY KNOWN then we should aim to stitch up the coach as soon as possible, including considering assistants whose teams are in the finals - Scott went to North from Collingwood during the finals I believe so I think assistants are fair game. Clarkson is not a realistic prospect IMO - if Jeff was going to be there next year I'd say he is but that's not the case.

Edited by old55

Given we have to wait until after GF to find out if Malthouse or Clarkson is available, how do we play out the coming months. (I personally dont think Clarkson is a chance, but Malthouse may be)

I see it as a bit of a problem if we think one or both of them are a chance, then we wait to hear from both of them, and then we learn we cant get either of them. We may miss out on other coaches who apply for (say) Adelaide and the WB job. If we agree that these men are the best candidates for the job, how do you get around this problem without burning the other candidates you have? (It is not reasonable for either to give any indication prior to the finals concluding because it will only destabilize their club and their chances of winning the flag).

Also, a new coach will have views on recruiting and trade week. Trade week is only one or two weeks after the GF. Thus if we wait till after GF, any coach appointed after this time will have very limited time to assess the list and make the calls needed.

Timing for MFC is really going to hurt if we are trying massively for Malthouse and we don't get him. How do we manage the risk?

Start the interview process now but tell all aplicants that a decision wont be made until after the GF.

Also as part of their application you ask them to assess the list and ask what changes they'd be looking to make.

This way if Malthouse decides he wants to coach Melbourne he can accept the job 48 hours after the GF. If not then we make our announcement 48 hours after the GF of who the coach will be and they'll already know what changes they'd be looking to make.

Talk to there managers, let them know what we are thinking and they will talk to there clients.

this ^ Not only is it the only logical option, its the only available one that retains all parties ethics.

No matter what spin Eddie & Gary Pert like to put on it, i Mick wants to coach next year he will coach. IMO He has been told by both of them Mick you have a contract so shut up we don't want anything to affect our tilt at Back to Back. Things will change once there seaon ends. The club (MFC) will know through the process whether Mick is going to be coaching or not next year so I do not think it affects the process really.

I also believe barring a massive turnaround Bickley will get the Crows job. If you were an applicant which list would you prefer Dees or Dogs

It's a very good topic.

Malthouse is really the key - we need to get some indication from his management that it's not impossible and if so then we need to delay the process until October. We do run the risk of losing other candidates to the Dogs, Crows and possibly Port. And having the coach on for the trade period is a big advantage.

If MM's management says NO WAY KNOWN then we should aim to stitch up the coach as soon as possible, including considering assistants whose teams are in the finals - Scott went to North from Collingwood during the finals I believe so I think assistants are fair game. Clarkson is not a realistic prospect IMO - if Jeff was going to be there next year I'd say he is but that's not the case.

I would imagine that we already have been given some indication (for the good), and that we are keeping a lid on it at the request of MM and his management. Imagine if Lyon came out and said "Mick and/or his management have told us he is keen to coach the MFC next season".

I'm 98% sure Mick has already signed with us, back when we had a window when Mick's new Collingwood contract hadn't confirmed his actual role.

I would imagine that we already have been given some indication (for the good), and that we are keeping a lid on it at the request of MM and his management. Imagine if Lyon came out and said "Mick and/or his management have told us he is keen to coach the MFC next season".

I'm 98% sure Mick has already signed with us, back when we had a window when Mick's new Collingwood contract hadn't confirmed his actual role.

Thanks for the input Ox. :P

Timing is everything. And I would hope that those in charge have received some indication one way or another in relation to what Mick wants to do.

If G.Lyon did that McGuire might follow through with his threat and take the QB privilege's away from our club.

If G.Lyon did that McGuire might follow through with his threat and take the QB privilege's away from our club.

QB is our game... McGuire just threatened to take the Pies away from it which would make likely make the crowd smaller.

QB is our game... McGuire just threatened to take the Pies away from it which would make likely make the crowd smaller.

F%#K Eddie

Bring it on this is all part of taking a stand. Replace the Pies with Bombers, Carlton, Richmond, Hawks crowd might not be as big but they all have big follwings and grow it as a stand alone game. It's ours do not give it up under any circumstances.

That's not exactly what I meant. But he (Collingwood) allows us to have the gate every year/us to be the home side.

Anyway Mfc and G.Lyon would be stupid to announce that whilst Collingwood are playing finals. Not to mention MM still has two years to run of a contract.

That said..it happens all the time in the NRL.

F%#K Eddie

Bring it on this is all part of taking a stand. Replace the Pies with Bombers, Carlton, Richmond, Hawks crowd might not be as big but they all have big follwings and grow it as a stand alone game. It's ours do not give it up under any circumstances.

I'm definitel;y not saying we should let this influence whether we chase Malthouse but you're missing the point about QBW - Collingwood let us have it as home game every year, if we went with another club it's highly likely they'd want to take turns - Eddie could could request this and retain QBW. Essendon and Collingwood rotate Anzac Day home game. Eddie is many things, but he is generous to us on this point.

I'm definitel;y not saying we should let this influence whether we chase Malthouse but you're missing the point about QBW - Collingwood let us have it as home game every year, if we went with another club it's highly likely they'd want to take turns - Eddie could could request this and retain QBW. Essendon and Collingwood rotate Anzac Day home game. Eddie is many things, but he is generous to us on this point.

Point taken but line in the sand time for the club. We are no longer a soft target by any means and whatverver it takes to get the best for MFC we will do. Sorry if your offended Eddie but we are not here to do what pleases you and some times we may offend but like you with your Pies the best interests of the Melbourne Football Club are paramount

Eddie could could request this and retain QBW. Essendon and Collingwood rotate Anzac Day home game. Eddie is many things, but he is generous to us on this point.

This comes as a shock to me! I never thought they had the option to request rotating home games. Makes sense. good on him.

If malthouse is going to coach the demons next year...how long after the pies season finish should malthouse announce his intentions?

It would depend how far they get in September/October. For example, if they made the GF, I would imagine by the Tuesday or Wednesday post GF. The following week...is trade week I think.