Luke Ball

old55

I don't think so.

What type of leader would he have been if he were struggling to play a relatively lone hand in our midfield?

Collingwood's uses Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, et al to hide his weaknesses.

There's nowhere to hide at MFC.

Might have also put a few noses out of joint, bringing a bloke in like that then installing him as captain instantly.

Remember that many thought Green and/or Moloney up to the task before they were handed the reins.

We also wouldn't have Tapscott.

Should we have bitten the bullet?

Of course we should have....Luke Ball is a total Gun...not quite as noticeable as a Ju$$ but just as effective.

I do not blame the MFC but we should have pushed harder for his services.

I don't think so.

What type of leader would he have been if he were struggling to play a relatively lone hand in our midfield?

Collingwood's uses Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, et al to hide his weaknesses.

There's nowhere to hide at MFC.

Might have also put a few noses out of joint, bringing a bloke in like that then installing him as captain instantly.

Remember that many thought Green and/or Moloney up to the task before they were handed the reins.

We also wouldn't have Tapscott.

What weaknesses pray tell - did you read the article?

Junior would've been captain in his first year, Ball would've taken over this year.

Ball > Tapscott.

I'm torn on this.

If we did bite the bullet and take him would it have made such a huge difference - I'm not entirely sure he would even be captain. Green would still have expected it for tenure reasons (I know how sickening that sounds but the MFC culture consistently rewards the easiest to reward, the easiest to justify, and those that feel entitled).

Just look at our former 'stars' White, Yze, and Robertson. They are still bitter over the decision to cut a year off of their careers as they felt entitled to that extra year - soaking up a $1m between them as we sit in the bottom four...

We have a bad culture...

Hopefully the new coach, Viney, new assistants, one senior professional from another club, and Watts, Trengove, Scully, McKenzie, Frawley, and Grimes can do something about it.

Sorry, tangent.

What weaknesses pray tell - did you read the article?

Junior would've been captain in his first 2 years, Ball would've taken over this year.

Ball > Tapscott.

Nope, didn't read the article. Don't have time right now.

Will give it a shot later.

Tapscott's time remaining in the game > Ball's time remaining in the game

Tapscott's time remaining in the game > Ball's time remaining in the game

Ball will probably play 100+ quality games for Collingwood. When you consider that a draftees 1st 40 games are learning his craft Tapscott will have to play 150+ to get ahead in games count.

I'm torn on this.

If we did bite the bullet and take him would it have made such a huge difference - I'm not entirely sure he would even be captain. Green would still have expected it for tenure reasons (I know how sickening that sounds but the MFC culture consistently rewards the easiest to reward, the easiest to justify, and those that feel entitled).

Just look at our former 'stars' White, Yze, and Robertson. They are still bitter over the decision to cut a year off of their careers as they felt entitled to that extra year - soaking up a $1m between them as we sit in the bottom four...

We have a bad culture...

Hopefully the new coach, Viney, new assistants, one senior professional from another club, and Watts, Trengove, Scully, McKenzie, Frawley, and Grimes can do something about it.

Sorry, tangent.

What gets me about that culture, is that it's all about me, with little regard for understanding that it's in the best interests of the club.

From those 3 in particular.

And I'd have thought with the benefit of time and hindsight that it would put things even more into perspective - evidently not so, for pea-hearted weasels like Yze.

Shame.

From a leadrship perspective (topic), maybe we should have, in hindsight. It's a wonderful thing hindsight. But did we envisage this at the time ? Maybe the club couldn't see through the forest in front of them. At the time he was committed to Collingwood and didn't want to come to Melbourne. So I'm content with "pick 18...Luke...Tapscott"

Maybe I'm torn as well...

As for the tangent, yes, we need to address the culture and not follow easy decisions as it has been in the past.

That is leadership...back on topic :)

Luke Ball did not want to play at Melbourne, what kind of leader would he have been when he didnt want to be there. Tappy will be a 200+ game star, so fair to say very happy with the decision to take Tappy rather than gamble on Ball.

Luke Ball did not want to play at Melbourne, what kind of leader would he have been when he didnt want to be there. Tappy will be a 200+ game star, so fair to say very happy with the decision to take Tappy rather than gamble on Ball.

Ball would not have been a gamble...look at the way he plays...

Of course we should have....Luke Ball is a total Gun...not quite as noticeable as a Ju$$ but just as effective.

I do not Blame the MFC but we should have pushed harder for his services.

He is good but not in Judd's sphere. No disgrace either.

How could we have pushed harder. He would not meet with us and would not provide his medical records.

As Old suggests we could punted the Tapscott pick on him.

Ball would not have been a gamble...look at the way he plays...

He was a gamble as we have no knowledge of his medical fitness

I would have thought they got 2 years too much at the end.

I like Ball as a player but I also think you have to look at where he has gone and it gives some insight as to why he is doing so well ( not detracting from the fact that he is a good footballer).

Who do you lock down on at Collingwood first ? - Swan ?

Who do you lock down on at Collingwood Second ? - Pendlebury ?

Who do you lock down on at Collingwood third ? - Thomas ?

He has also gone to a brilliantly structured team who deliver or in the case of Ball, are in the right spots waiting to be delivered to.

Simon Buckley is producing good football for Collingwood.

This is no slight on Ball but I am really unsure how well he would do in our team as opposed to his output at Collingwood.

Now Judd on the other hand.....

We have a bad culture...

Robbo had a little sook at the end but has come back after a season and embraced the club and been positively spruiking for us - through our good or bad.

Yze on the other hand hasnt said boo until his tweet - his tweet had the same smell about it as his last couple of seasons with us.

Edited by nutbean

Comparing Ball to Judd is either totally under-estimating how good Judd is or totally over-estimating how good Ball is.

Edited by Mac7

Nut, Who is the player that fishes the ball out to the Swan, Pendles and Daisy?

Agree 100% hence my line "He has also gone to a brilliantly structured team who deliver or in the case of Ball, are in the right spots waiting to be delivered to"

We bemoan the fact that we cant get the ball out of our back half - I have constantly maintained that it isnt the player kicking out or the taking the second kick - it is our players next in line who dont work hard enough to be in the right places - second third and fourth leads to make space.

I watch when the Jamar/Moloney combo is in sync - right palming to the right player in the right place - spmething of beauty. We havent done these things well enough. I see plenty of players at the bottom of the pack or in tight places and not have a well placed outsider to dish off - players not working hard enough to give an "in space" option.

Dont get me wrong - Ball is a good footballer and would be at the bottom of every pack at the Dee's but he releases the ball to players at Collingwood who play the structures so well and are where they should be. Not sure that he would have the same impact at Melbourne (yet)

Comparing Ball to Judd is either totally under-estimating how good Judd is or totally over-estimating how good Ball is.

No it isn't. The Both do different jobs equally well...watch closely.

Ju$$ is no better than Ball, regardless of what the media says.

No it isn't. The Both do different jobs equally well...watch closely.

Ju$$ is no better than Ball, regardless of what the media says.

hahahaha

always good for a laugh WYL!

Did you see our match against Carlton last week?

Have you ever seen Ball tear apart a team like that?

He is good but not in Judd's sphere. No disgrace either.

How could we have pushed harder. He would not meet with us and would not provide his medical records.

As Old suggests we could punted the Tapscott pick on him.

He was a gamble as we have no knowledge of his medical fitness

You just don't like to push hard enough Rhino....and that is exactly what this club must do or we will not survive. "Every Man has his Price"

If we had picked Luke Ball in the Draft...he would have come, along with his medical records We didn't and got Tappy...which is ok.

But overlooking Luke Balls Leadership was a dam shame....

hahahaha

No Luke is far more of a blue collar player than Ju$$ i have already said that.

But the nd results are very similiar....read more carefully E25

No Luke is far more of a blue collar player than Ju$$ i have already said that.

But the nd results are very similiar....read more carefully E25

I read carefully.

It was still a silly post.

hahahaha

+1

Judd, as much as i hate him, is an absolute superstar. Few players are in his realm. He's Michael Jordan like.

Luke Ball, ridiculous!

WYL is right. The reason for recruiting Ball is for his leadership and the example he sets of the standards required - in that sense he'd have a similar impact to Judd. There's no doubt that Judd is a far better player - he's better than everyone. BTW, Judd cost pick 3, Josh Kennedy and 20. Ball would've cost pick 18.

The reasons for not picking Ball were two-fold:

- he didn't want to come to us, but I reckon he would've gotten over that

- would his body hold up, I think today's article answered that

Edited by old55