Bad season for the Indigenous players

John Crow Batty

Guest The Tweed Pig

Three of our five Aborigines don't adequately put their heads over the footy and the other two aren't good enough; although I won't completely rule out Aussie. To win finals you must have a team made up of uncompromising individuals that fight hard in every contest to win the footy. The footy trash can is littered with talented players that were ultimately too soft to cut the mustard at AFL level. Cale Morton has talent, but unless he can change the way he goes about it he'll be an unfulfilled talent.

Jurrah is too soft, but will sort out what he needs to sort out. He'll come through. I don't have high hopes for any of the others.

There are reasons why many Aborigines don't play physical footy. It's the ones that can adapt their game to the AFL environment that succeed. Many can't.

Note: I'll presently discount Lawrence from this assessment.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see...if were to play this game :)

Davey - Currently standing still. arguably getting back to form after injury. But what is the real level of this form now. The Ultra damaging davey has it seemed left the building. Shame really. Hes not earning his quid ( hes not alone )Something's not right with Aaron. He needs serious mentoring and encouragement to play a forward role. Possibly in tandem with bro Jurrah. If not.. trade him.Current contract looms as his last otherwise.

Jurrah -Hes suited to a team with more damaging and by requirement minding, strong lead forwards. . Im going to give Liam a pass this year as his situation is so unique. He has serious community problems . He will however need to make a real decision soon. Leader, or footballer. maybe he just cant shoulder both. Thats not his shame. Im hoping he can be allowed to play again to his max. Fingers crossed.

Bennell - Trade him if poss... Not for us

Jetta - Another pre season and better coaching might see him blossom.. A decent enough project player

Wonna - You just get that sad feeling his wil be one of those stories. A charasmatic player of ability struck down by circumstance and never realised potential. Just cant see him here next year.

Lawrence - Shows promise.. , some ways to go yet. Watch this space

I guess it depends just when Davey "got injured"?

He looked as if he was under par physically long before he was declared injured.

I would like to see him get ready for pre-season 2012, even if that means he is 'rested' for the remainder of this wasted season (giving someone else such as Laurence or Tom McDonald or Tom McNamara a run) under new tutelage, play as a forward, then see.

Liam - as above - a new coach, possibly a new role, say as a HF floater who can run opposition down, and a demand for full commitment to the cause.

I am not sure of Aussie's contract status - I would certainly demand a commitment from him to get fit and stay fit over the preseason, and commit to playing his heart out for another couple of seasons at least.

Bennell?? The new coach needs to "interview him" and they need between them to work out if he really wants to play AFL.

Jetta - needs more time.

Mono-both these blokes are on the rookie list, and would need to be promoted to be able to play in the 1s. With Strauss being sent to the LTI list, that will free up 1 spot. I think we will wait until after this weekend to determine who we may promote. I wouldn't mind betting that if we were to get up this week, Robbie Campbell will be the man.

I also don't understand this opinion that Bennell isn't up for it. Personally, I would have them (he and Jetta) on the list for another 2 seasons to see what they can do. We have other dead wood that I would like to see cleaned up before we get rid of blokes that have shown patches. Give them a chance to do it consistently over the next 2 seasons, worst case it will give us a couple of easy delistings from a list management point of view in the coming years.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, and sure it might be a slightly left field option here:

Maybe the club should look at getting a coach in like Michael O'Loughlin who I understand is very highly regarded at the academy/centre of excellence, and has coached one of the underage international rules teams I think). Not only could I see him being capable of being a forwards coach (something I personally feel he has a better understanding of than Josh Mahoney) but he would also be there as a mentor for our indigenous players in getting the most out of what they have.

Please note I am not saying get an indigenous coach for our indigenous players, thats too simplistic a view to take, however take a serious look at Micky and if he is a capable the benefits could be two-fold.

Great post/concept l reckon.

Mono-both these blokes are on the rookie list, and would need to be promoted to be able to play in the 1s. With Strauss being sent to the LTI list, that will free up 1 spot. I think we will wait until after this weekend to determine who we may promote. I wouldn't mind betting that if we were to get up this week, Robbie Campbell will be the man.

I also don't understand this opinion that Bennell isn't up for it. Personally, I would have them (he and Jetta) on the list for another 2 seasons to see what they can do. We have other dead wood that I would like to see cleaned up before we get rid of blokes that have shown patches. Give them a chance to do it consistently over the next 2 seasons, worst case it will give us a couple of easy delistings from a list management point of view in the coming years.

Now that is a good reason to keep someone.

"it will give us a couple of easy delistings from a list management point of view in the coming years".

Agree on Bennell .Of course he is up for it and could have played cricket for WA .

Had an inconsistent year but he isn't Robinson Crusoe .

The club see big things in HI FI .

Agree on Bennell .Of course he is up for it and could have played cricket for WA .

perhaps a wrong career move?

Seriously I thought last year he was ordinary.

Gone backwards so IMO does not have it.

However I am not sure we are playing him in the correct role.

We may be crucifying him.

I don't think anyone can deny that when LJ, Jet and Aussie are in the team and are "on", we look like a better team. Think back to the Hawthorn game last year when Aussie and LJ in particular were 2 key players in us nearly rolling them.

Perhaps the new coach should do to Flash what Malthouse did to Leon Davis this year. Just a thought.

It's a good point you raise and one I think about from time to time.

The counter argument is that you could probably say the same for any player. When any 3 players are "on," Melbourne will look better.

For me, the question comes down to consistency and how regularly they can play at or near their best. The players mentioned in this thread fail to do so anywhere nearly enough, but they're certainly not alone.

On any given day I'd be comfortable that Frawley, Jones, Watts (bang!), Bail, Bartram would play to that level in terms of their own game but not many of their peers.

It's a fickle game, footy. Two years ago Davey would've been one of the few on that list. Last year Green would've been on the list with quite a few other mates.

Hopefully, that list will increase again - because if it doesn't, we're not going anywhere. (I'm not saying that list is definitive, or even correct, but I think anyone will get the message).

RR Davey has a long history of injurys that he takes a long time to get over.

he missed 10 weeks this year, from memory the last 8 of 2010.

He has not had a good year since 2009.

I know he is 28 but that is 29 next year and some guys are finished at 30 through injury.

I just do not think it looks good for Davey from here in, our best option IMO is if he plays a forward role.

I think his days as a mid field player are behind him.

Davey is vey much an outside midfielder. If we are getting routinely smashed in the middle and not geting the inside clearances then he will struggle. I think he is the small forward role.

As for his long history of injuries, over his first 7 years he has played 136 games out of 158. He missed 22 games of which 2 were for striking and 1 for Club disclipinary reasons. So history shows he has not had a long line of injuries that have taken a long time to get over. In 2010 he missed the last 3 rounds. Dont mistake out of form for being past it. They are not necessarily the same thing.

CJJ which games this year would you put him in the top ten players?

I think he has been the same all year.

Anyone see a common thread here .

Green

Morton

Sylvia

Dunn

Bate

Bartram

These guys have all gone walkabout for much of the year also .

No white lightning this year either .

Edited by Captain Jack Jordan

CJJ which games this year would you put him in the top ten players?

I think he has been the same all year.

Cant argue with that but he is a baby still.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about our boys?

Give them a break, all have perfectly good reasons!!!!

All a vital components to our future.

You are a troll aren't you?

Davey has had by any stretch an appalling year. And sadly none of the brothers have any excuses for poor years except maybe Wona.

Davey is vey much an outside midfielder. If we are getting routinely smashed in the middle and not geting the inside clearances then he will struggle. I think he is the small forward role.

As for his long history of injuries, over his first 7 years he has played 136 games out of 158. He missed 22 games of which 2 were for striking and 1 for Club disclipinary reasons. So history shows he has not had a long line of injuries that have taken a long time to get over. In 2010 he missed the last 3 rounds. Dont mistake out of form for being past it. They are not necessarily the same thing.

RR are you sure it was only the last three weeks. My memory is it was much longer than that.

However if you are sure than I am wrong.

He will be 29 next year and heading towards the end.

he was rubbish before he got injured, in fact he has been nothing much ofthe last couple of years

since teams worked out a close check takes him out of the game.

When was his last game breaker game? when did lhe ast run down any one in a defensive action.

even his great kicking has deserted him.

I always like it when one of the comedy writers on this board add to a topic....Davey won the B&F in 2009, that was a season and a half a go, or doesn't that count, he was coming back from a long layoff last week, we haven't quite worked out were his 'best fit' is same with Jurrah, Bennell is learning all the time, just needs a bigger body, Jetta has had a bit of a bad run with injury,but when he gets his chance at least you get 100% each time, Wonna has had a terrible time with injury and personal issues.....let's wait and see shall we, like a a lot of other players on the list.......

I always like it when one of the comedy writers on this board add to a topic....Davey won the B&F in 2009, that was a season and a half a go, or doesn't that count, he was coming back from a long layoff last week, we haven't quite worked out were his 'best fit' is same with Jurrah, Bennell is learning all the time, just needs a bigger body, Jetta has had a bit of a bad run with injury,but when he gets his chance at least you get 100% each time, Wonna has had a terrible time with injury and personal issues.....let's wait and see shall we, like a a lot of other players on the list.......

Careful how you dress up facts.

He, Davey, won the Bluey in 09...yep... had a standout year.. sublime

2010 however wasnt really within a bulls roar of 09 if anyones honest

2011 before injury wasnt even as good as 2010.

Thats just what is :rolleyes:

you would like to think after 8 seasons wed have some idea about him and where to play him. Not saying we do...but youd think we ought to

Now that is a good reason to keep someone.

"it will give us a couple of easy delistings from a list management point of view in the coming years".

Brilliant effort in taking part of my post (and not all of it) to give you something to feed off. Which media outlet do you work at?

In no way am I saying that we should just keep them for 2 years so we can get rid of them. I'm saying that in 2 years, I'd expect them to secure a best 22 tag, but if they don't, then, and only then, would they have had long enough in our system to be moved on. I thin kmaking that decision this year is far too premature.

Careful how you dress up facts.

He, Davey, won the Bluey in 09...yep... had a standout year.. sublime

2010 however wasnt really within a bulls roar of 09 if anyones honest

2011 before injury wasnt even as good as 2010.

Thats just what is :rolleyes:

you would like to think after 8 seasons wed have some idea about him and where to play him. Not saying we do...but youd think we ought to

Best fit means what should his role be in the team NOW, it is like Jones, in the past Jones would be in at the bounce now he plays on a wing.....do we keep Davey forward, on a wing, half back...where can he be most beneficial...that was my point......hopefully this week he will be up a notch or two...

Do you ever have anything positive to say about our boys?

Give them a break, all have perfectly good reasons!!!!

All a vital components to our future.

Yeah, I do. I think Jetta is one who'll come through the school of hard AFL knocks, & when he gets through the hard slog he'll be a tough little Hombre'. Hows that?

Bit harsh with the last call in the first post for mine but it certainly has been a challenging year for that group. Thought Jetta showed quite a bit early in the year, he can be quite tough and hungry in the contest which is something the club needs. l think Daveys (and previously Whelan's) leadership of that group has been immensely important and perhaps less possible this year as he has been caught up with his own issues. He has been an excellent servant of the club and is just back from injury....And that Aussie and LJs home situations/personal losses over the past 12 months in the NT would be a significant source of stress and imbalance for anyone playing AFL away from home. Would just love to see Aussie get back........Hopefully they have all learnt alot and can bounce back next year.

I thought there was somthing going on with Aaron. To me he's looked down all year & without his usual spirit.

I hope he can work it out & come out well.

Or even Matty Whelan?

Perhaps as a mentor, but I don't think Whelan is coaching is he? I was trying to suggest that O'loughlin is actually pursuing a career in coaching. Not saying that Whelan couldn't do it, but:

1) the aim was to get a suitably qualified and capable coach who as an additional bonus could act as a mentor.

2) I like the idea of O'loughlin as I rated him as a player, 303 games, played at a team that was known for tough uncompromising footy, yet he had a good amount of flair, and tasted premiership success.

I heard someone say a little while back that O'loughlin had the potential to be the first Indigenous AFL coach one day. I can't recall who or when or where it was even mentioned.... but again, it could be worth a punt, and I think our assistant coaches will be reassessed at years end so why not ?

As far as I can see the white fellas haven't been too crash hot either.

Not sure why these players need to be grouped together unless you're suggesting their shared cultural background, history or skin colour are the reason for their poor form?

Anyway, since you mentioned them, I'll give it a go:

Davey - Hasn't been helped with injuries but was probably close to being dropped in any case earlier in the year. Is a massively important player for us with his kicking which is why I'd rather get him behind the ball in defence and setting us up going forward rather than feeding off the crumbs of our non-existant key forwards.

Jurrah - Has that seemingly laid-back approach to the game that always comes in for criticism when he's not in form. Definitely needs to be taught to work harder to get more involved when we have the ball and to have an impact of some kind without the footy. I'd happily keep him at Casey for the rest of the season unless he shows massive improvement int he above pretty quickly. How'd he go last week?

Bennel - Shows flashes of class but has never put it together for more than fleeting moments. Not sure what kind of a contract he's on btu wouldn't be too worried about it not being renewed.

Jetta - I like his ability in close, tight spaces and that he also has a bit of pace to break away from congestion when he can. Needs to get more of the footy when he plays but I think there's some genuine talent there and am looking forward to seeing him play when injury free

Wonnaemeri - I have a real soft spot for him because I love good tacklers and the guys is a joy to watch when he is around the goals, especially his wild goal celebrations. But unfortunately that's not enough to warrant a spot in the side. When fit he seems to contribute to the side, but can't seem to stay fit for more than about a month at a time, which is disappointing and makes him unreliable.