Captain Jack

Undeeterred

Jack Trengrove!! Hard, tough, skillfull, never stopped today! Give him the role next year and let him grow. A player like Jack as captain would change our culture!!

I reckon Watts and Trengove are too young to take on the huge responsibility of being captain at this stage.

Love both kids though and would contemplate leadership roles for both.

We're running out of options.

Unless we recruit Hodge or Mitchell we may as well do it and name Jack!

We've already killed McLean's career and sent Grimes to the hospital ward permanently by annointing them the next captain so I hope you're talking about Fitzpatrick.

My first post on Demonland - I don't care which Jack we make captain, but let's make one of them and get on with it!

Good first post. It's got a ring to it - Captain Jack.

I think Trengove could be in the leadership group next year, great apprenticeship for him. And then who knows down the track...

He's certainly shown something which others considerably older haven't these past few weeks. His game today was gutsy, and he's also committed (on paper and emotionally it seems) to MFC. Award his passion, and hope it rubs off on others!

What about The-Jack-In-Waiting the wunderkind of the Viney variety ? Reports are that he is as fearless as Alex Rance and the Sellwoods put together! Ok, tell me i'm dreamin' but then wasn't Carey appointed captain at North in his early twenties ?

My first post on Demonland - I don't care which Jack we make captain, but let's make one of them and get on with it!

Captain Jack ,

Your name has a salient yet familiar quality to it .

I put this on another thread, but is just as appropriate here.....

While I understand where everyone is coming from with the captaincy argument, do you think we could stop anointing the next kid that shows us what he is made of to the poisoned chalice.

I don't want the same thing to happen to any of our Jacks if they get the gig while unready for it.

And while I'm on that can we stop being so bloody fickle, last week it was Trengove, the week before that Moloney, earlier in the year Grimes was the heir apparent,

and Scully has even had his name mentioned in the same capacity (not so often lately).

Now I agree a new captain must be named for next season, as the role has killed Green, and I for one miss the excellent version of him we had last year.

That being said it is wonderful to see so many leadership options in our next generation, but to me they may need more time to grow up a little, despite the dire straights we are currently in.

Edited by QueenC

While I understand where everyone is coming from with the captaincy argument, do you think we could stop anointing the next kid that shows us what he is made of to the poisoned chalice.

I don't want the same thing to happen to any of our Jacks if they get the gig while unready for it.

And while I'm on that can we stop being so bloody fickle, last week it was Trengove, the week before that Moloney, earlier in the year Grimes was the heir apparent,

and Scully has even had his name mentioned in the same capacity (not so often lately).

Now I agree a new captain must be named for next season, as the role has killed Green, and I for one miss the excellent version of him we had last year.

That being said it is wonderful to see so many leadership options in our next generation, but to me they may need more time to grow up a little, despite the dire straights we are currently in.

So which of the more experienced players are you suggesting? Moloney, as I have said many times previously, is the biggest flat track bully in the competition; Jones suffers from a complete lack of footy nous, although he has a crack, Davey is not nearly hard enough; Rivers, a serviceable player but no leader and Green - enough said. Who does that leave - Jamar - maybe if he can get himself on the park more regularly; Sylvia - pass!; unfortunately we have run out of options from our more experienced players. The Club needs to be brave, and do what many other successful clubs have done and appoint a player from the group which is most likely to take us forward - that's the group which is currently between 19-21 and there is no doubt that of that group Jack Trengove demonstrates all the qualities required. Much as Worsfold stood out at the Eagles when he was 21, and Voss at Brisbanes when he was 21. There is no other option.

So which of the more experienced players are you suggesting? Moloney, as I have said many times previously, is the biggest flat track bully in the competition; Jones suffers from a complete lack of footy nous, although he has a crack, Davey is not nearly hard enough; Rivers, a serviceable player but no leader and Green - enough said. Who does that leave - Jamar - maybe if he can get himself on the park more regularly; Sylvia - pass!; unfortunately we have run out of options from our more experienced players. The Club needs to be brave, and do what many other successful clubs have done and appoint a player from the group which is most likely to take us forward - that's the group which is currently between 19-21 and there is no doubt that of that group Jack Trengove demonstrates all the qualities required. Much as Worsfold stood out at the Eagles when he was 21, and Voss at Brisbanes when he was 21. There is no other option.

I didn't say any of our more experienced players were right for the job.....

What I was saying is that while it is great for the club to be brave, they also have to be careful.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a shift. I think we can all agree that there needs to be one, but I want whoever is chosen to be damn ready for the responsibility of the role and

thus not flounder and therefore suffer (like we have seen this year). And it is all well and good to say so and so did it so we should to, but it doesn't work like that.

We can make all the assessments we like from out here, but we really aren't in any position to make a true judgement. I just hope the club is capable of making the right choice.

Personally I would go with Grimes, but I understand peoples reservations given his catastrophic injury curse.

But I will say that is is actually nice to have a few options within the next generation of players. Nice change for everyone there.

Edited by QueenC

I don't think any of the Jacks have done enough at this stage.

I don't think anyone really deserves it at the moment, which probably goes a way to explain why we're playing so poorly this year.

Green has struggled, Moloney's form is erratic, Davey was ordinary then injured, our 2 AA's from last year have missed periods of the year and haven't been as good, Rivers and Jones have had ok years by their standards but neither are really captaincy material and Sylvia's in the magoo's for disciplinary reasons. The one Jack who might have been ready has been out for most of the year.

Trengove is 19, Watts is 20 and neither has 40 games under their belt. I understand that people want generational change, it's continually the kids who stand up in our losses, but our future leaders just aren't ready. Our list is already too slanted towards youth to cull our senior players and look to the draft. The new coach has no choice to but to back our "senior" players to refind their form from last year.

Top post CJ. I agree with the sentiment entirely, but I think they're still too young.

Perhaps elevate them to the leadership group next year, but I think Moloney should be the next Captain.

He's hard, he loves the club and he's always in and around the contest.

Until Jamar got injured, he was probably in top 5 in the Brownlow count too, so he's good enough.

The gulf between the two Jacks and number 31 is simply massive IMO.

Watching yesterday's game, I couldn't help thinking how ridiculous an offer of $1M per season for 5 years for Scully is - and for so many reasons (leadership/personality, foot skills, hardness, influence on the game, set shot kicking).

The two Jacks are showing signs of having all of those bases well and truly covered.

I wasn't being fickle really, given that was my first post...

I was, however, being a little tongue in cheek and agree that probably Moloney should get the gig for a couple of years until our young leaders grow up. BUT, I was thinking about it a bit yesterday and it occurred to me that Watts is looking like the player that will drag others along with him. Check out the photo on page 2 of the Age sports section today - he is eyeballing Jimmy and it looks like they are very much on the same page. He looks like he is in for the long haul, and that goal yesterday (even though the spin wasn't strictly necessary) was really inspirational at a point where the game was still up for grabs.

And Trengove was all over the Bailey thing, I thought it was pretty interesting that one of our youngest players was the one the media were seeking out for quotes - and he dealt with it brilliantly, IMO.

Just out of interest, at what age did Ball and Riewoldt start rotating through the St K captaincy? And I get it, even Carey was 22 before he was made captain...

I don't think there should be any captain.......until someone obviously steps up.......whether it takes 6 months or 2 years.

They can all take it in turns to toss the coin

Teach them all a lesson about leadership and accountability

Time to throw away the velvet gloves and dish out a bit of tough love

Too early for Watts, Grimes or Trengove to be captain. Look what it's done (mentally) to Green. Now try lumping the burden on the shoulders of a 20 year old. With a new coach and all the other crap they'll have to deal with over the summer. No thanks.

It's going to have to be Moloney or Rivers or someone like that. Whether we like it or not. Green isn't capable and the youngsters are still too young.

Edited by titan_uranus

I wasn't being fickle really, given that was my first post...

I was, however, being a little tongue in cheek and agree that probably Moloney should get the gig for a couple of years until our young leaders grow up. BUT, I was thinking about it a bit yesterday and it occurred to me that Watts is looking like the player that will drag others along with him. Check out the photo on page 2 of the Age sports section today - he is eyeballing Jimmy and it looks like they are very much on the same page. He looks like he is in for the long haul, and that goal yesterday (even though the spin wasn't strictly necessary) was really inspirational at a point where the game was still up for grabs.

And Trengove was all over the Bailey thing, I thought it was pretty interesting that one of our youngest players was the one the media were seeking out for quotes - and he dealt with it brilliantly, IMO.

Just out of interest, at what age did Ball and Riewoldt start rotating through the St K captaincy? And I get it, even Carey was 22 before he was made captain...

Dude , the Captain Jack thing has been done to death . Just look at it .

have you thought of a new name for yourself yet ?

Alright, alright... To be honest I didn't look too hard when choosing a name. Jeepers.

Sorry dude ,and welcome to our friendly asylum , by the way .