The Gap Is Getting Wider

Guest hangon007

Yip a bunch of bananas many around here are ... definitely should consider moving to Queensland and calling ourselves the Queensland bananas ... because thats whats staring us in the face. B)

But you just scream about ... "effort/intensity/grunt/output/passion/pride" hahahahahaha .... its just not what the good clubs do. Nope they invest money into their football department. :)

Like i said Hang.... just keep believing that it's just a matter of spending dollars on the FD alone mate.

I agree. No need for any passion, effort or pride etc as well mate. It's just all about how much $ we spend within the FD.

I'm a believer mate.... keep on bananering!

B)

Edited by Rusty Nails

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hangon007

Like i said Hang.... just keep believing that it's just a matter of spending dollars on the FD alone mate.

I agree. No need for any passion, effort or pride etc as well mate. It's just all about how much $ we spend within the FD.

I'm a believer mate.... keep on bananering!

B)

Yip I will deal with the 99% of the problem you deal with the 1% that change on a weekly basis from club to club.

But look your views are held widely, but that doesn't make them right. Not in the modern era at least. No it just highlights how much behind the modern game you live.

Some clubs live and win premierships today ... some clubs live in the past and complain about "passion" ... football is a simple game preparation is everything. Some clubs have full recognised this ... the rest may as well move to Queensland ... you will be gone in a few years if you dont.

If what you say is true, and the formula for success comes down to the amount of money spent on a footy department and thats the be all and end all, smaller clubs can never compete and will therefor never do better than 32 goal drubbings then I'm not interested in that sport.... I like to believe that when 22 athletes run out on a field with years of training and a hunger and desire anything can happen... If thats not possible bugger it, Collingwood would win every year... If the AFL claims of an even playing field they should cap FD spending. But until that happens you may have a valid point. True footy fans however, would hope that this isn't simply about money, but if that is truly all it boils down to, I won't be watching anymore...

Edited by deejammin'

[quote name='hangon007' timestamp='1312083612' post=

Supporters trot out this "effort/intensity/grunt/output/passion/pride" it just rubbish & insulting to our football club.

Sorry ... Its all about recovery, coaching, skills, preparation, peak performance,drafting & trading, game plans which can only be delivered by $$$$$$$$ inside your football department.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. Take a little of everything above and you'd be on the money as to why we're not as successful as we should be. Everything needs to be right.

Guest hangon007

If you don't think "effort/intensity/grunt/output/passion/pride" play a part in today's footy then you certainly have never played a part in any successful football side.

Supporters blow it out of proportion and its only ever 1 way ... its part of the 1% I agree. But it comes last and is just icing on the cake ... its not the cake.

Funny if the players asked us for "effort/intensity/grunt/output/passion/pride" ... I reckon we, as MFC supporters would fail on every one consistently ever week.

Edited by hangon007

West Coast finished last last year, pretty sure they spent the same amount of money on FD in 2010 as they are in 2011. Or maybe the pumped more money into the FD this year and thats the reason for their instant success?

You have to laugh at some Melbourne supporters at times ... never let the facts get in the way of your arguments. :wacko:

* Blame the coach ....

* Blame the players ...

* Blame the board ...

* Blame the CEO ...

* Blame the AFL ...

Yet they continually refuse to recognise why the gap is getting wider .... $$$$$$$$'s spent inside our football department.

Its 2011 look at the league, there is one common denominator to moving up the ladder ... $$$$$$ spent inside your football department.

Time to wake up guys ... these results will continue to happen until we address the real problem.

No longer is it good enough to buy a membership & say "I've done my job" those days are gone.

What would you suggest the average supporter who has paid for a membership do about the football department?

Guest hangon007

West Coast finished last last year, pretty sure they spent the same amount of money on FD in 2010 as they are in 2011. Or maybe the pumped more money into the FD this year and thats the reason for their instant success?

Bingo ... their rise up the ladder has come with a constant increase and injection of funds inside their football department.

Last year no doubt about it they under-performed for a reason. Now they are getting value for money.

Guest hangon007

What would you suggest the average supporter who has paid for a membership do about the football department?

Sorry but in modern AFL football the mere act of buying a membership is great, but its not enough its 2011.

There is no such thing as an "average" supporter unless you are happy with an "average" outcome ... but thats the core.

We have too many "average supporters" that want an above average outcome, in fact they are impatient for that long awaited flag. However, they want success before the hard work is put in .... wrong attitude.

We need a fighting fund. We need a internal mechanism where all can contribute not only financially but also in time to fully get this club to a higher level. Sitting back with statements "oh they are just kids ... oh we are 2-3 years away" is pure fantasy.

The last few days has been very encouraging lets hope we can be open and honest and address our core. We have a unique opportunity. Lets not get lost in looking for scapegoats in coaches, CEO .... players whatever. They all come and go ... your core remains the same.

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

The OP is correct.

Free agency coming in only makes the situation more urgent.

Yip FA will be a concern for aging lists ... but I'm not sure we are in that boat.

I would suggest that perhaps it may be relevant to ensure that we are getting value for money for what is already spent and on future budgeted spending rather than blindly suggesting to spend even more money on who know's what.

Edited by america de cali

Guest hangon007

I would suggest that perhaps it may be relevant to ensure that we are getting value for money for what is already spent and on future budgeted spending rather than blindly suggesting to spend even more money on who know what.

Sadly it doesn't work like that in a competitive national competition with only one possible winner annually.

You have to invest, invest some more then invest as much as your competition assuming you want to win the ultimate premiership.

Value for money comes when you make top 4 & are a realistic chance to win a flag. Its all comparative, if they spend 17-20 million you need to spend 17-20 not 13ish. If you are basing decisions based on value ...you will always be out spent and have to accept mediocrity. Sadly we have been forced to seek value for money we need to move forward.

Now for the real crunch that 20 million is only ever going to go up. B)

The club must increase the expenditure on the Football Dept....The time is now as the kids are ready.

A Football Fund or Fighting Fund call it what you like, i am happy to contribute if i know MFC players are using it to climb the ladder.

If we do not set it up now....we never will.

Last Saturday we got beaten by 31 goals by a Grand Final Contender....That is how far away we are today....But Tomorrow???

Edited by why you little

Guest hangon007

The club must increase the expenditure on the Football Dept....The time is now as the kids are ready.

A Football Fund or Fighting Fund call it what you like, i am happy to contribute if i know MFC players are using it to climb the ladder.

If we do not set it up now....we never will.

Last Saturday we got beaten by 31 goals by a Grand Final Contender....That is how far away we are today....But Tomorrow???

Yip we need a fully planned out 12 month campaign ... with as many volunteers possible to make it happen.

Yip we need a fully planned out 12 month campaign ... with as many volunteers possible to make it happen.

This Fund will be ongoing...The Filth pumped $85 mill through their doors each year now.....it will only get bigger.

after this 5 year Broadcast deal expires not all 18 clubs will survive...IMO

This thread's a stinker.

$$$$$ are not the answer. Not even $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$+++ are the answer. Not to the real and only question today.

What I want to know is why teams like North and the Dogs can battle away with pride each week, and thrash us with nonchalant ease and contempt. They don't take us seriously, and it's not because we're poorer than them.

Imagine all the Geelong players had been switched into the MFC-world five years ago. Would they still be the world-beating super-team they are?

If the $$$$$$$ gap were getting wider, it wouldn't mean the gap in application, on-field organisation and sheer spirit had to be getting wider too; it's not as if the players look at the spreadsheets of the clubs' FD expenditures and as a consequence get all glum, miserable, weak, confused and lazy when it comes to match day. There's something quite illogical about the OP. The basic necessities, and quite a lot more too, were there to put a well-drilled, determined team of players on the field this year. The expectations were great but reasonable given the names on the list. The only things lacking were some sensible, organised well-inculcated system of play - nothing fancy - and a commitment to maxiumum effective effort even when the team was behind on the scoreboard. Some inculcation, some instilling, some drilling, some discipline, some lacerating motivational addresses were required, not more $$$$$$. Thirty or forty footballers can't ALL be 'no-bruise' types of people, surely, or the types that won't play unless more $$$$$ are floating around in the FD.

But those things were missing, obviously, and $$$$$$$ won't buy them.

Guest hangon007

This thread's a stinker.

$$$$$ are not the answer. Not even $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$+++ are the answer. Not to the real and only question today.

What I want to know is why teams like North and the Dogs can battle away with pride each week, and thrash us with nonchalant ease and contempt. They don't take us seriously, and it's not because we're poorer than them.

Imagine all the Geelong players had been switched into the MFC-world five years ago. Would they still be the world-beating super-team they are?

If the $$$$$$$ gap were getting wider, it wouldn't mean the gap in application, on-field organisation and sheer spirit had to be getting wider too; it's not as if the players look at the spreadsheets of the clubs' FD expenditures and as a consequence get all glum, miserable, weak, confused and lazy when it comes to match day. There's something quite illogical about the OP. The basic necessities, and quite a lot more too, were there to put a well-drilled, determined team of players on the field this year. The expectations were great but reasonable given the names on the list. The only things lacking were some sensible, organised well-inculcated system of play - nothing fancy - and a commitment to maxiumum effective effort even when the team was behind on the scoreboard. Some inculcation, some instilling, some drilling, some discipline, some lacerating motivational addresses were required, not more $$$$$$. Thirty or forty footballers can't ALL be 'no-bruise' types of people, surely, or the types that won't play unless more $$$$$ are floating around in the FD.

But those things were missing, obviously, and $$$$$$$ won't buy them.

Sorry you are missing the point ...

"Its all about recovery, coaching, skills, preparation, peak performance, drafting & trading, game plans which can only be delivered by $$$$$$$$ inside your football department."

The rest is the 1% you and many other overate the 1% supporters over rate the "ra ra sessions." They just dont get it.

This thread's a stinker.

$$$ are not the answer. Not even $$$$$$$$$+++ are the answer. Not to the real and only question today.

If the $$$$ gap were getting wider, it wouldn't mean the gap in application, on-field organisation and sheer spirit had to be getting wider too; it's not as if the players look at the spreadsheets of the clubs' FD expenditures and as a consequence get all glum, miserable, weak, confused and lazy when it comes to match day. There's something quite illogical about the OP. The basic necessities, and quite a lot more too, were there to put a well-drilled, determined team of players on the field this year. The expectations were great but reasonable given the names on the list. The only things lacking were some sensible, organised well-inculcated system of play - nothing fancy - and a commitment to maxiumum effective effort even when the team was behind on the scoreboard. Some inculcation, some instilling, some drilling, some discipline, some lacerating motivational addresses were required, not more $$$. Thirty or forty footballers can't ALL be 'no-bruise' types of people, surely, or the types that won't play unless more $$$ are floating around in the FD.

But those things were missing, obviously, and $$$$ won't buy them.

Can't agree mate....up to $85 million will go through Collingwood this year, and it rises per annum.

The Dogs and Kangas may battle valiantly.....but that is as far as it will go.

Can't agree mate....up to $85 million will go through Collingwood this year, and it rises per annum.

The Dogs and Kangas may battle valiantly.....but that is as far as it will go.

Gosh, they're rich!

The Dogs and Kangas battle a whole lot better than us. This arrogant putting down of honest, struggling teams that beat us all the time is part of the same self-delusory twaddle that has seen so many forum posters in a swoon over the impending and inevitable 'premiership window' just a few years away. If you think we are not a 'battler' team you are living in lala land.

In fact, if you think we ARE a 'battler' team you are living in lala land, because 'battling' is so far from what this team does that it's not funny.

Just mouthing the millions that will go through Collingwood is saying nothing of any relevance to the Melbourne team NOW. Awestruck by megabucks; just like Eddie.

You can hand $85m and some big-shots AND Malthouse to MFC right now, but we won't become Collingwood.

I can't believe a whole thread on $$$$$$$$ when it's not the lack of them which has brought us to this point.

It's a whole group of incompetent coaching staff, a couple of people who have too much sway in the consequent vacuum, and one or two ex-player big mouths in the media who give both a running commentary and imagine themselves part of the process they're commenting on.

Worry about the $$$$$ later, when the coaches and players have actually earned them. Do our players get paid? Do we have good training facilities?

In the meantime, I hope to see the MFC do some real battling out on the field, where NOTHING is stopping them.

Sorry you are missing the point ...

"Its all about recovery, coaching, skills, preparation, peak performance, drafting & trading, game plans which can only be delivered by $$$$$$$$ inside your football department."

The rest is the 1% you and many other overate the 1% supporters over rate the "ra ra sessions." They just dont get it.

Somehow, it's you who has missed the point.

It's not about 'ra ra', it's about the immediate problem of making the team actually 'battle' honestly. An incompetent coaching staff have failed to achieve that by not instilling a system of play, even a simple one, that will give the players confidence. Our team is an embarrassment, and not because it's 'poor'. The megabucks stuff may come later if the team proves successful. It's not going to materialise out of thin air, so you are really preaching a kind of pessimism. There's no point in lamenting that we are not Collingwood. Melbourne supporters on this and other forums love to heap it on North, but they are crapping on us out on the field, and I dare say we are much better placed in the $$$$$$ department.

Guest hangon007

Yip and we need exactly the same players (maybe except a chop out ruck man) as we needed over 12 months ago. So thank-you for pointing to the 100% correct article. Think you should read my comments after every game in the thread mentioned in the above link.

MFC decision not to chase experienced bodies in last years drafting and trading process cost Bailey his job.

Any other coach at any other club would have done it ... Bailey put our long-term future in front of his own & for that you have to be eternally grateful. Bailey made the decision to develop ... that took balls. Listen to his press conference ... it tells all, honesty and integrity.

However, lets face facts what have we missed this year ...

a/ strong bodied full -forward ready to go .... Cameron Mooney - Leigh Brown type

b/ mature body around the clearance work ... Luke Ball - Brad Sewell type

These players "might" not have won a premiership, but they would have saved Dean Bailey.

This club needs to get rid of our negative attitude ... hence the article. We were not that far away if we recruit what we need NOW. Its too late for Bailey ... lets give the next bloke a chance from day 1.

Edited by hangon007