• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

We will beat Hawthorn on Sunday

The bye blues syndrome is dead in the water - one of the hundred footy shows showed stats that revealed it was a problem earlier in season but the trend has now oompletely reversed and most teams are winning after the bye now. It makes senses actually that at the beginning of the season you want to get footy into your legs and some continuity to build good form. We are now in the part of the season where the players are looking for a rest to recover from the wear and tear and niggles.

You just had to burst my bubble, didn't you Nutbean :lol:

Well, in that case, I hope we can emulate our performance of last year against the Swans, and inflict the Hawks worst defeat under coach Clarkson.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF does "putting on our big boy pants" mean? Seems to be getting a fair run on this site, hoping it doesn't become some sort of trend.

It's another rpfc gem...

I sometimes feel as if there are Melbourne fans that subconsciously see the MFC as the little red-headed brother of Hawthorn, Essendon, Collingwood, etc. with regard to keeping players, winning big games, general clout in the game, and general respect.

You won't become a big club and gain respect, if you constantly think so little of yourself.

Al Clarkson- Dean needs to pressure Alistair into bad moves. It's known he can make blunders in judgement. We had our foot so firmly on their throat in Round 2 and let them off but it won't happen again. Bailey has the ability to outcoach this guy and for mine a win against the Hawks will see a new contract come the end of the year.

Very interesting match-up. Hard to ignore the media's talk and speculation over Clarkson being at the dees next year. Both Dean and Al will say they think nothing of it, but you almost hope that it's a little extra incentive for Bails to chalk up a win.

Whitto...somm eof us a re just a bit realistic.. Doesnt meanwe dont barrack and hope. The Threads title asks a question. Some choose to answer with both eyes open.

It's just such a defeatist attitude. With our list they are young full of potential, why not fill them full of support. The Hawks weren't told to keep it close in the 09 grandfinal. They went out to win when they weren't supposed to.

When more supporters have this attitude we will be a better club and we have the list to do it.

It never ceases to amaze me how we accept crap, supporters expect to lose and the cycle repeats itself.

Fire up Dees and the supporters too!

Four quarters of pressure, niggle and creative run from our boys will be the baseline for Sunday. I want the Hawks to get some of the physical stuff that they have given us in recent years. If we do that i reckon we are a (slim) chance.

For me the next month is about bringing that 4 quarters of intensity to each of the next four games despite how those games may be unfolding... Do that and we may snag a couple on the way through, and we won't embarrass ourselves...

Go Dees

I really think well knock them over... Looking forward to it!

Are you the bloke who was asking $450 for jousting sticks in Trading Post?

It's just such a defeatist attitude. With our list they are young full of potential, why not fill them full of support. The Hawks weren't told to keep it close in the 09 grandfinal. They went out to win when they weren't supposed to.

When more supporters have this attitude we will be a better club and we have the list to do it.

It never ceases to amaze me how we accept crap, supporters expect to lose and the cycle repeats itself.

Fire up Dees and the supporters too!

How on earth do you arrive at that logic. it suppsoes that teh list is defined in some manner by talent ascribed by a judiciary that judges worthiness on the basis of crowds, supporters etc etc.

The club determines its list. The players ability /ocahing abillity determines success. We go and watch..Thats the length and breadth of our REAL influence..

Four quarters of pressure, niggle and creative run from our boys will be the baseline for Sunday. I want the Hawks to get some of the physical stuff that they have given us in recent years. If we do that i reckon we are a (slim) chance.

For me the next month is about bringing that 4 quarters of intensity to each of the next four games despite how those games may be unfolding... Do that and we may snag a couple on the way through, and we won't embarrass ourselves...

Go Dees

Loving the optimism but this is truly the post I concur with. Accountable , 4qtr inspirTional Footy is what we need from hereon.

MFC must now demand respect from the other teams and show they are in games for the long haul

Otherwise sides like bullies & north Pick up this and bury us when it should be the other way round

Reality bites

How on earth do you arrive at that logic. it suppsoes that teh list is defined in some manner by talent ascribed by a judiciary that judges worthiness on the basis of crowds, supporters etc etc.

The club determines its list. The players ability /ocahing abillity determines success. We go and watch..Thats the length and breadth of our REAL influence..

Not really - if we have supporters who want to sign up for membership and who want to turn up to games and who want to put their hand in their pocket for the club, we end up with more funds.

In turn we attract better established players / coaches etc which improves our list / coaching ability etc.

Read his words "...we will be a better CLUB..."

Edited by Viney12

Not really - if we have supporters who want to sign up for membership and who want to turn up to games and who want to put their hand in their pocket for the club, we end up with more funds.

In turn we attract better established players / coaches etc which improves our list / coaching ability etc.

Read his words "...we will be a better CLUB..."

you know..strangely ...I did !!

hes attempting to out cart before horse.. chicken before egg etc.

He also supposes that acknowledging a reality is the acceptance of crap. I can assure you I dont do the latter.

But lets call them as we seem then huh . The Hawks have Won 3-1/2 games more than us winning 15 more Qtrs in doing so.. Their % is a healthy 31 per ahead of us. Theyve shown a greater abillty to putting 3 or 4 good quarters together as compared us . theyve accounted for WCE, SyD, Sainters Doggies. Twice been in range of the Cats......

I see nothing to suggest we can currently be more competitve than be withing 5-6 goals of them.

You think players are attracted to clubs based on their supporters ?? really ?? :unsure:

Edited by belzebub59

He also supposes that acknowledging a reality is the acceptance of crap. I can assure you I dont do the latter.

But lets call them as we seem then huh . The Hawks have Won 3-1/2 games more than us winning 15 more Qtrs in doing so.. Their % is a healthy 31 per ahead of us. Theyve shown a greater abillty to putting 3 or 4 good quarters together as compared us . theyve accounted for WCE, SyD, Sainters Doggies. Twice been in range of the Cats......

I see nothing to suggest we can currently be more competitve than be withing 5-6 goals of them.

You think players are attracted to clubs based on their supporters ?? really ?? :unsure:

Ha obviously you didn't read....actually, understand mine

With more supporters becomes more members, with more members becomes more money, with more money becomes better sponsors etc. with more money comes attracting more players

By the way, I think we'll get smashed, i'm not defending that point - I'm talking about his notion of supporters making a club a better club

round 8 2006 was the last time we knocked them off

that's 7 in a row

we're due

Now lets look at it. We played in Darwin last week and were knackered. They had the bye. They get Lewis, Rioli and others back. Not to forget that Allan Jeans died last week. I can see 8 in a row.

Guest hangon007

With all due respect. Absolute rubbish. A football club is only as good as the people that mix around the club.

We have 5 distinct groups

a/ Our Players ... fantastic bunch of young kids that look like they are going places, deserve our respect & support every time we speak about them. Criticism is great as long as its constructive.

2/ Our Admin Team ... headed by one of the most progressive minds in AFL football CEO Cameron Schwab we were near death 2 years ago. The turn around has been amazing.

3/ Our Footy Department ... sorry I'm biased but I love them all but I understand football is a cruel game, if you dont get the results changes may be made, but I hope it never comes to that.

4/ Our Board ... again we were near death 2 years ago & have demonstrated time after time they are prepared to make the right decisions for all.

5/ MFC community ...

Then we have the "supporters" & the "barrackers" ... I will leave the definitions up to you.

However, without wishing to start a bum fight ... this is our weakness. Not only in numbers but in negative, doom & gloom comments on a continual basis. The world is not ending tomorrow, everyone is not out to get us, stop looking for people to blame, stop looking for the "bad" in people look for the good & start living in 2011.

The glass is half full ... sure we will have our up & downs ... so what. We are all in this boat together.

I've never backed away from a fight in my life ... I sure as hell ain't backing away from this one.

Edited by hangon007

This year I have thought of this cartoon as I plodded forlornly home from the MCG after Hawks, Pies, Blues, etc...Screen+shot+2011-04-07+at+1.24.57+PM.png

Edited by PaulRB

Now lets look at it. We played in Darwin last week and were knackered. They had the bye. They get Lewis, Rioli and others back. Not to forget that Allan Jeans died last week. I can see 8 in a row.

oh Red....how can you be so pessimistic...thats all doom and gloom mate !!!! :lol:

what on earth are you injection rationale and logic into this for.. ....dont you know thats heresy... It must mean you dont want us to win.. that youre accepting of crap !! We'll never get anywhere with that sort of attitude !!

Now you and I know that probably couldnt be further from the truth . ( and for the dimwitted...the above was sarcasm) its just anobservation of where we're at as a team.

Its a bit like having a 3 legged dog.. hes great.. Comes up agaisnt a 4 legged dog in a race and gets done. Why? Because he hadnt the ticker ? Because he hadnt the want to win ? No desire ? No ability ? ...No support ? No, simply he had three legs against four. He wasnt able to put sufficient of his ability to the task and got outdone by another that could. Did I want the 3 leggged woofer to win.. Yep . Barracked for him all through the race.

Thats where we're at.. We dont have al lthe parts of our game happening yet . Not to a high competitiive level. We get found short against very able teams who put on serious forward presure. Its just a reality..We will get better ( one hopes ) and then we'll have that extra leg. Then the race is even and more uncertain. but for the moment Hawthorn on most days is easily a 5-6 goal better team.

Some seem to infer your not passionate or fair dinkum simply because you choose to spectate with eyes open. A pox on them

Throw in we were knackered and theyre bringing in fresh legs and is it so unrealistic to suppose a loss is imininent ?

So why do the big clubs get the good players wanting to go there? As if Judd was coming to Melbourne playing in front if 15000 with limited resources and passion? I can understand why he picked the blues, why jolly wanted collingwood. Big games on the G in front of big crowds.

It's a cycle we haven't broken becauseplayers and supporters like you don't aim high enough. The thing about footy it's still a club atmosphere and everyone can play a part, no matter how small.

Without belief we may as well pack it in and drift off the the vfl. Get some stones and give the lads support, not these half arsed "gee I hope we get beaten by under 5 goals"

That is typical Melbourne and part of the reason we have gone so long without a flag.

Essendon, collingwood, Carlton and hawthorn all demand and expect success.

We would like it maybe if it kinda came our way....as long as we don't offend anyone ....

Call it reality, call it knowledge, call it stating the facts, whatever you want. We all know the Hawks are the favourites and have the side to produce. But many supporters & members hold onto our team working hard for that win, for that upset, for those extra inches that produce something great, for the excitement of knowing there will be a contest up for grabs and 4 points. You can't knock 'em for that !

It's alot better than throwing the arms up in air and producing negative dribble. Nothing is ever a closed book.

I'm all for positivity.

So why do the big clubs get the good players wanting to go there? As if Judd was coming to Melbourne playing in front if 15000 with limited resources and passion? I can understand why he picked the blues, why jolly wanted collingwood. Big games on the G in front of big crowds.

This is just somehwat ironic. Im accused of buying into a doom and gloom way of thinking.. Im not.. Im simply assessing trhe reailty of what ..IS . Hawthorn is 3rd..were 9th...its no accident and its a window to the state of play.

"So why do the big clubs get the good players wanting to go there". I cringe.. Cry Cry ..why do the big clubs get the players !!!!! Talk about a whinge.

Whos really the pessimist here ?

Jolly wanted Collingwwood for the very simple reason he got a Premiership out of it..and did so before he'l lhanfg up his boots. Thats wont have happened at Melbourne, not in the immediate time frame..Yes, another reality Jolly has issues with Melb also..theres a history. Lets not get too carried away with a few players here and there.

Ball went to teh Filth for similar reasons.. Maggies were in premiership window time. Who can blame him. Keep in mind we were rebuilding and focussing on youth. We did look at Ball ..he went to Cwood for the reasons explained.

It might seem strange to many but most players will tel lyou the crowd disappears into teh backgrond once the game starts. Its a very small thing in teh great scheme of it all in terms of why player X want s to go to Y.

We all know why Judd went to Carlton..enough said. He didnt go to Collingwood either ..remember ??

Theres no doubt that players are drawn to success. Though really good ones create it. .

Whos to say the good players arent drawn to Melbourne now. try looking within also.. Watts, Trengove,,Jamar..all happily resigned because they know whats coming and that they will be part of it.. All three COULD have gone elsewhere..There are others too.

This notion that the Dees are some sort of Lepper colony is just hogwash..

Call it reality, call it knowledge, call it stating the facts, whatever you want. We all know the Hawks are the favourites and have the side to produce. But many supporters & members hold onto our team working hard for that win, for that upset, for those extra inches that produce something great, for the excitement of knowing there will be a contest up for grabs and 4 points. You can't knock 'em for that !

It's alot better than throwing the arms up in air and producing negative dribble. Nothing is ever a closed book.

I'm all for positivity.

Totally agree. All we have to do is play four quarters like we played the first two last time we met. Not easy, but it can be done!

Edited by Deeoldfart

We will win this game, the flag, the Melbourne Cup, the Sheffield Shield and the Best New Artist at the Latin Grammy Awards.

Guest hangon007

We will win this game, the flag, the Melbourne Cup, the Sheffield Shield and the Best New Artist at the Latin Grammy Awards.

Geez if we did we would probably have 72,000+ members. :)

Do you know any opening batsmen?