Tom Scully

Guest hangon007

teammates and club officials have to go along for the ride too.

His teammates & loyal club officials willingly go along with the "ride" ... because they understand what is happening. Thats what you do, help out your mates when they are under constant attack.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing out of this whole saga is certain.

If Scully signs with Melbourne and reveals that he never really contemplated a move to GWS, then the decision to hold off talks all season must have been the worst decisions by a player/player manager of all time.

Why on god's earth would you put yourself up for constant criticism, have your brand and name dragged through the mud, be under constant pressure at 19 yrs old... when your value was just as high at the start of the year than it is at the end.

That is the only thing that makes me think Scully is gone. The decision to delay contract talks so long under constant attack is so very stupid in this situation if he always intends to sign with Melbourne, that no one would make it.

His teammates & loyal club officials willingly go along with the "ride" ... because they understand what is happening. Thats what you do, help out your mates when they are under constant attack.

Helping your mates is a 2 way street.

I agree with EVERYTHING Mark Stevens says. Tom Scully's value to this club is wildly overrated. I'm pleased he has pointed out the poor kicking efficiency and lack of overhead ability. He has distinct abilities no doubt, but I find it amazing that he is being offered the kind of money we would expect for 'complete' players, of which he shown no signs of being. Jack's Watts and Trengove on the other hand...........

What a load of crap. He's a number one draft pick and was the clear stand out of his year.

And he's been dogged by his knee injury this year (his SECOND year).

Hasn't shown signs of being a complete player? You have got to be kidding.

If Scully signs with Melbourne and reveals that he never really contemplated a move to GWS, then the decision to hold off talks all season must have been the worst decisions by a player/player manager of all time.

Why on god's earth would you put yourself up for constant criticism, have your brand and name dragged through the mud, be under constant pressure at 19 yrs old... when your value was just as high at the start of the year than it is at the end.

Are you saying that if he signed at the start of the year compared with now post GWS speculation that our offer would be the same? His value at present is well beyond anything he has shown due to the perceived need to retain him vs his actual performance value.

I think you're overlooking an important point. Tom has created this situation. He is not a victim here. He chose to adopt this strategy, knowing full well how it played out in the media with Geelong and Ablett last year. So he has to accept that he's going to put himself and the club under pressure.

Guest hangon007

Helping your mates is a 2 way street.

First you have to identify who your "mates" are ... Velocity sports are not stupid.

Maybe! Just maybe Tom wanted some time to make the biggest decision of his life ... tell me how many 19 yo are going to make a $3-6 million in their life. Possible he didn't feel confident he understood the business to make that decision. But Tom does not want to think about it till after the season ... no distractions

Velocity sports wanted to buy some time to make sure they get the best offer available. Thought that was their job.

Now the by product of this whole saga ... you truly find out your mates when you get ambushed by the media.

Guest hangon007

Jack T has proven to be an excellent "mate", support and mouth piece. Touted as a possible future captain. The choice Tom has be make is not rocket science. Perhaps it is time for some reciprocity.

JT is a very smart kid he truly is a "mate" .... a mate Tom can have for life, he now knows he can trust JT when the chips are down both on & off the field. :wub:

I'm getting more positive by the day the "reciprocity" will come .... be patient. This is not an easy decision & one many around here will never have to face.

Good Luck Tom

Go Dees!!!

It would be pretty funny if, at the end of the season, Scully signs a contract for the Dees lower than the one advertised in the media.

Are you implying this whole GWS saga might be a smoke screen & mirrors ploy by GWS or Velocity?

Not at all, just suprised that he is such a high priority for GWS, because from what I've seen to date, there would be a number of higher priority players I would be chasing before Scully.

i dont think he needs to look at the contracts to make his decision. he would know the GWS contract would be a fair bit more then the melbourne one offered. He's taking his time too think. A few years ago when i was about 20 i was in my 4th year of my apprentaship and was offered $6 more an hour to go over to another business. I told my boss and he said they couldn't affored to give me that big of a pay rise, he gave me a $3 an hour pay rise and i stayed with him, I know its nothing the same in pay brackets ($15 an hour up to 21 or 15 up to 18). i stayed with him for another 2 years before i left and got into something else. the reason i stayed was because i had mates that worked there and my boss was the one that employed me in the first place and always treated me with respect. I nearly left for the money but after ALOT of thought i stayed. i understand why he's taking his time to think about it, and he will be able to make up his mind without seeing the contracts. i have no idea if he wants to stay or go, but wish him to be happy with the decision he makes, also hopefully we will be compensated well.

Guest hangon007

Not at all, just suprised that he is such a high priority for GWS, because from what I've seen to date, there would be a number of higher priority players I would be chasing before Scully.

mmmmmmm .... Wonder if they have considered that? Wonder if they are in fact "chasing" them?

Dont you love this game.

Go Dees

Are you saying that if he signed at the start of the year compared with now post GWS speculation that our offer would be the same? His value at present is well beyond anything he has shown due to the perceived need to retain him vs his actual perfomance value.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

At the start of the year everyone already was screaming out how this kid's going to be the best player in the comp in 2-3 years and that he is a number 1 pick and extremely valuable bla bla bla.

He would have been offered just as big a contract then as he is now.

In fact, I'd argue that there's even more doubt over his ability to become a star now, with half his season ruined by a knee injury, than there was at the start of the season

Guest hangon007

I think you're overlooking an important point. Tom has created this situation. He is not a victim here. He chose to adopt this strategy, knowing full well how it played out in the media with Geelong and Ablett last year. So he has to accept that he's going to put himself and the club under pressure.

sorry thats your way of looking at it. But not trying to insult you ... but thats what many are doing around here.

The media have created the situation ... not Tom.

That is the only thing that makes me think Scully is gone. The decision to delay contract talks so long under constant attack is so very stupid in this situation if he always intends to sign with Melbourne, that no one would make it.

Anyone who plays for the adoration of the supporters, does not or should not treat the supporters with the contempt that these dollars are causing within ther game...

The culture of the last 15 or so Years stinks.

Guest hangon007

i dont get it. either scully is awesome and we are losing or keeping a gun, or if he stays hes not as good as made out anyway.

wtf is going on here

Well the MFC have stated what they think he is worth ... possibly close to our highest paid player. If I was to back someone I choose to back that opinion.

Many want to make up their own price .... based on what ... media speculation. You can back that if you want. Its your choice.

This thread is absorbing from a mythological and psychological point of view .

Hero worship is part of sport I suppose and Tom Scully is our Young God-chosen to lead the fight from oppression and redeem our culture .

The culture then starts to absorb all the issues of the hero and begins to immortalize him .

The evil empire and a new army (Afl and GWS) conspire to ransack and pillage our homeland (hell) ,and leave us in ruins .

Our hero must make a choice to free himself and his family or stay and fight ,risking certain death .(5 million or 3.7mill)

The peasants of take up arms against a powerful foe and take heavy losses (rattling the tin to keep him ,putting up our offer, pouring out hearts on this thread.)

We are kind of left in the same boat as our hero -waging war ,suffering blows from Dragons ,swords ,fortune

and left to keep fighting an unwinable war ( this years holy grail) on foreign lands against a massive foe with an injury .

The hero looks within to fight the battle at hand and win the unwinable (a spot in the finals ,the grail)

AT the darkest hour he slays the enemy( the next few weeks)

He returns victorious ,covered in blood to a home crowd that venerates him even further for his battles despite doubting him.

On home soil (finals time at the G) the hero brings home justice .

The gallery ,in full song ,unite behind their new God and make him king or

Slag him off on the net for concentrating on the task at hand and then say he wasn't much chop anyway.

( The last bit I made up)

Edited by QueenC

People have become ridiculous around here. Common sense, patience and understanding have been replaced by extreme paranoia, delusions and impatience.

Get a grip- EVERYONE!

sorry thats your way of looking at it. But not trying to insult you ... but thats what many are doing around here.

The media have created the situation ... not Tom.

So you're telling me that the media have created this situation? If Tom had committed to Melbourne, do you think they'd be writing story after story about him? The answer is no because there'd be nowhere for the story to go - it would have run out of oxygen. The AFL media frenzy is part of the game these days and that's why it's so important to try and control it, because the longer there is silence on a key issue, the media will fill the void with their own speculation.

Tom has the ability to control the situation here and he has elected not to. That's why I have little sympathy for him at this point in time.

Edited by Strawbs

What a load of crap. He's a number one draft pick and was the clear stand out of his year.

And he's been dogged by his knee injury this year (his SECOND year).

Hasn't shown signs of being a complete player? You have got to be kidding.

I'm certainly not kidding, and if you read Mark Stevens article, it objectively outlines the weaknesses in Tom Scully's game. They are KEY aspects of the game. As such, if he were a complete player, his foot disposal would be much better, and he would be a much stronger overhead mark. Of course you would expect both of them to improve, but he's starting from a lower base in respect to those two aspects of his game. I don't think you'll find too many here who would disagree. The issue is really whether he is worth the money despite this.

And as you've mentioned his knee, it also lowers his stocks. He suffered a patellar fracture in his pre-draft season, and has had a two month episode of chondral irritation to that same patella this year. This is highly indicative of chondral damage to that patella, and is a bad sign for his longevity. The same problem (but different area of the joint) as Adam Cooney.

Guest hangon007

So you're telling me that the media have created this situation? If Tom had committed to Melbourne, do you think they'd be writing story after story about him? The answer is no because there'd be nowhere for the story to go - it would have run out of oxygen. The AFL media frenzy is part of the game these days and that's why it's so important to try and control it, because the longer there is silence on a key issue, the media will fill the void with their own speculation.

Tom has the ability to control the situation here and he has elected not to. That's why I have little sympathy for him at this point in time.

No problems. Sounds like you might even be a little disappointed if he stays.