Tom Scully

There are going to be a lot of angry supporters who will feel duped when the truth finally comes out.

If Scully announces at the end of the season that he has signed with GWS what "truth will come out" that can't come out now?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And don't forget it was Scully's manager who said a few weeks ago that they heard GWS might be interested and Velocity Sports approached GWS just because they thought there was some interest. Must be very shy folks out there west. Ready with a sack full of money but too hesitant to make the first approach. What a load of humbug. Just like all the moderators here to a man and aided and abetted by some life members and the like steadfastly refusing to diverge from all the spin and tripe dished up by MFC, TS and VC. They are going to cynically keep that finger plugging the dyke for as long as they can. There are going to be a lot of angry supporters who will feel duped when the truth finally comes out.

No, they said that if Melbourne put their offer down before seasons end, it's only fair they let GWS put their offer down

I feel the same as you, yet in the reverse, if Scully signs there's going to be a lot of embarrassed and ashamed supporters

And don't forget it was Scully's manager who said a few weeks ago that they heard GWS might be interested and Velocity Sports approached GWS just because they thought there was some interest. Must be very shy folks out there west. Ready with a sack full of money but too hesitant to make the first approach. What a load of humbug. Just like all the moderators here to a man and aided and abetted by some life members and the like steadfastly refusing to diverge from all the spin and tripe dished up by MFC, TS and VC. They are going to cynically keep that finger plugging the dyke for as long as they can. There are going to be a lot of angry supporters who will feel duped when the truth finally comes out.

Just like all the moderators here to a man and aided and abetted by some life members and the like steadfastly refusing to diverge to rumour and innuendo as opposed to facts.

The truth is we have the facts from MFC, TS and Velocity. Up to each of us whether to believe their facts are the truth or not.

"There are going to be a lot of angry supporters who will feel duped when the truth finally comes out " - if he re-signs then the truth has been spoken since day one. If he leaves for GWS and in the sbsense of any different "truths" coming out I am not sure that the MFC, TS and Velocity will ever be able to convince some people that what transpired was the "truth". If the alternative truth as you and RR believe comes out then I will indeed feel duped.

In the end a decision will be made and life will go on.

No, they said that if Melbourne put their offer down before seasons end, it's only fair they let GWS put their offer down

I feel the same as you, yet in the reverse, if Scully signs there's going to be a lot of embarrassed and ashamed supporters

Well that ain't going to happen. If that was the case TS will go down in history as the most selfish pig headed gold digger there ever was. That he is not because he's long gone already.

Edited by america de cali

I accept that is quite possible too. That's what you're been saying happened. I wanted you to directly acknowledge it, which you did, and I don't support you being banned for holding that opinion. As I said it could be true. I think there's two possibilities - my scenario and your scenario. In my scenario with your hypothetical deadline, Tom maintained his plan and said "well you'll have to wait, just like the MFC".

As we've both pointed out, if he ultimately announces he has signed with GWS we may never know the truth. If he signs with MFC we will.

Let's say your scenario is true - do you think he could have announced that he'd signed with GWS? Do you think, as you stated above, that he's badly advised not to announce that he's signed with GWS? I think my scenario is far more consistent with good advice from his managers.

You're right, we may never know the truth. It would be good if we did though and weren't treated like schmucks who don't matter.

IF my scenario is true, no I don't think he could've announced his departure a year before leaving. Rightly or wrongly, it would have played out just the way you said it would ... angry supporters calling for him to be sent to Casey 2's and booing him at the G. It would have been exceedingly ugly.

IMO, under that scenario, his manager should have not advised him to hold a presser at all but to issue a blanket statement to the press. Either that or simply sit down with Melbourne, GWS and the AFL if need be and work out a way to execute it quickly and head up to Blacktown a year early and avoid all the fuss.

If he goes, what's this year achieved except a handful of senior games and a hit to his image?

Poorly advised early on by his manager and then to have his name attached to the spin-doctoring that's been going on in recent weeks just makes it even worse.

Edited by Range Rover

In the absence of concrete evidence that Scully signed with GWS last year - evidence that could be produced right now if it existed - if he signs with GWS at the end of the year I am not going to be embarassed in any way. If the evidence mysteriosly appears then the worst I'll be guilty of is taking someone at their word - I can handle that heat.

There's only one faction riding for a possible fall in this race and it's a huge fall baby.

And if Scully's manager says "you'll have to wait until the end of 2011" do you think GWS would just go cold on him??

Under my scenario, how likely do you think it is that a player manager would say that?

No, he'd be thinking ... "if I don't get my boy to sign now ol' Paul Connors down in Melbourne is going to get this deal for one of his lads and we'll be high and dry".

In the absence of concrete evidence that Scully signed with GWS last year - evidence that could be produced right now if it existed - if he signs with GWS at the end of the year I am not going to be embarassed in any way. If the evidence mysteriosly appears then the worst I'll be guilty of is taking someone at their word - I can handle that heat.

There's only one faction riding for a possible fall in this race and it's a huge fall baby.

Trying to wriggle out already are you?

Edited by america de cali

You're right, we may never know the truth. It would be good if we did though and weren't treated like schmucks who don't matter.

IF my scenario is true, know I don't think he could've announced his departure a year before leaving. Rightly or wrongly, it would have played out just the way you said it would ... angry supporters calling for him to be sent to Casey 2's and booing him at the G. It would have been exceedingly ugly.

IMO, under that scenario, his manager should have not advised him to hold a presser at all but to issue a blanket statement to the press. Either that or simply sit down with Melbourne, GWS and the AFL if need be and work out a way to execute it quickly and head up to Blactown a year early and avoid all the fuss.

If he goes, what's this year achieved except a handful of senior games and a hit to his image?

Poorly advised early on by his manager and then to have his name attached to the spin-doctoring that's been going on in recent weeks just makes it even worse.

Pretty much agree with your analysis - that's why I believe good advice and good thinking was to postpone the decision. If GWS really want him they'll wait. And he might decide to stay with MFC and this year will have been a hysterical beat-up.

Trying to wriggle out already are you.

Not at all - read any of my posts - I've always said it's very possible he will sign with GWS.

FMD, that's the whole basis of my argument why he has put off the decision.

Edited by old55

Well that ain't going to happen. If that was the case TS will go down in history as the most selfish pig headed gold digger there ever was. That he is not because he's long gone already.

Trying to make Tom look awful whatever he does are you?

IF my scenario is true, no I don't think he could've announced his departure a year before leaving. Rightly or wrongly, it would have played out just the way you said it would ... angry supporters calling for him to be sent to Casey 2's and booing him at the G. It would have been exceedingly ugly.

IMO, under that scenario, his manager should have not advised him to hold a presser at all but to issue a blanket statement to the press. Either that or simply sit down with Melbourne, GWS and the AFL if need be and work out a way to execute it quickly and head up to Blacktown a year early and avoid all the fuss.

I know it is contrary to how we have been brought up on this game but maybe the AFL should grow a set like the NRL and if a play signs before the end of the season - he announces it and he plays out the season if his form is good enough or ocnversely the club doesnt play him - it is what it is. Against our culture I know.

Interesting to know if Daisy Thomas announced now he was going to GWS - would the Pies play him ?

Not at all - read any of my posts - I've always said it's very possible he will sign with GWS.

FMD, that's the whole basis of my argument why he has put off the decision.

Its not that hard

- I dont believe he has signed or committed

- TS will make decision at end of year

- TS will either stay with us or go to GWS

Am I missing anything ?

In who's mind

In the absence of concrete evidence that Scully signed with GWS last year - evidence that could be produced right now if it existed - if he signs with GWS at the end of the year I am not going to be embarassed in any way. If the evidence mysteriosly appears then the worst I'll be guilty of is taking someone at their word - I can handle that heat.There's only one faction riding for a possible fall in this race and it's a huge fall baby.

I meant from those spitting venom at Scully for "already going". When he signs for Melbourne, they should feel ashamed

Under my scenario, how likely do you think it is that a player manager would say that?No, he'd be thinking ... "if I don't get my boy to sign now ol' Paul Connors down in Melbourne is going to get this deal for one of his lads and we'll be high and dry".

They know how good Scully will be, they hold the whip hand (Velocity), they can make GWS wait and sweat and increase their bidding. It would be insane to sign on the spot

I meant from those spitting venom at Scully for "already going". When he signs for Melbourne, they should feel ashamed

I was agreeing with you.

They know how good Scully will be, they hold the whip hand (Velocity), they can make GWS wait and sweat and increase their bidding. It would be insane to sign on the spot

Yes dicky knee and all I presume.

Yes dicky knee and all I presume.

Oh c'mon, please

This is just conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory

so he plays a full year last year - they put off talks in July / August knowing that in October GWS were going to offer him $6m over 6 years for a limited time only and they had the foresight in that time to know his knee complaint (despite playing the full season last year) was going to be degenerative so he'd be well served taking the money and running knowing he'd be washed up by the time he was 25 and unable to get another contract

So was it Bastinac's cat that inked his paw on the contract for Scully and Scully's dog that inked his paw on the contract for Bastinac, so that if questioned all they could respond with was a woof or meow and when he fronted the media in March (by his own doing) he wasn't technically telling porkies cause he forgot to say "No one, including myself, my family, my managers or my good mates cat has been approached and spoken with GWS"

Oh c'mon, please

This is just conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory

so he plays a full year last year - they put off talks in July / August knowing that in October GWS were going to offer him $6m over 6 years for a limited time only and they had the foresight in that time to know his knee complaint (despite playing the full season last year) was going to be degenerative so he'd be well served taking the money and running knowing he'd be washed up by the time he was 25 and unable to get another contract

So was it Bastinac's cat that inked his paw on the contract for Scully and Scully's dog that inked his paw on the contract for Bastinac, so that if questioned all they could respond with was a woof or meow and when he fronted the media in March (by his own doing) he wasn't technically telling porkies cause he forgot to say "No one, including myself, my family, my managers or my good mates cat has been approached and spoken with GWS"

Has any one thought that GWS may be regretting their haste? Nah! I'm sure he'll make a full recovery after a post season rest.

I'm going to do something anyone should never do - apologise for my post before I put it up! I'm tired, angry, overworked, irritable....

Did anyone read the article in The Age this morning (Wednesday 27) which discussed how Geelong got Christensen, Duncan and Vardy in one move? Yes, there was a touch of luck, but it was also good recruiting knowledge etc. What is my point? Simple - one top draft pick doesn't always get better results than lower draft picks (James Hird anyone?). I am not picking on TS at all, far from it, and good luck to him whatever he does - just asking people to keep a bit of perspective in their discussions - there are other issues important to MFC to discuss!

I think I feel a bit better now!