Malthouse's intended role at Collingwood

Guest Artie Bucco

Guest Artie Bucco

Far be it from me to want to promote speculation on our head coaching position...

I am an advocate of giving Bailey til the end of the season to prove he should be given another contract.

I think he's almost done enough as it is, but that's my personal opinion.

One thing I concede is that we can't ignore the possibility of Malthouse being on the market.

If he is, we seriously need to weigh up whether we'd be better off with Mick, and what it would take to get him to MFC.

Anyway, here is the article from the Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-asks-whats-my-job/story-e6frf9jf-1226090226423

If Malthouse and the club are at loggerheads over his role, it makes it more likely that he will leave at season's end.

Of course, the problem with holding out for Mick is that Collingwood will likely be involved deep into the finals, leaving a long pregnant pause before we make a decision on the coach.

Something to watch carefully.

Far be it from me to want to promote speculation on our head coaching position...

I am an advocate of giving Bailey til the end of the season to prove he should be given another contract.

One thing I concede is that we can't ignore the possibility of Malthouse being on the market.

If he is, we seriously need to weigh up whether we'd be better off with Mick, and what it would take to get him to MFC.

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226090226423

If Malthouse and the club are at loggerheads over his role, it makes it more likely that he will leave at season's end.

Of course, the problem with holding out for Mick is that Collingwood will likely be involved deep into the finals, leaving a long pregnant pause before we make a decision on the coach.

If Malthouse is available, i have no doubt the club will be thoroughly checking all angles on this.

I cannot see Mick Malthouse going to the Granny Flat in the backyard at Filthland....Eddie made a miscalculation a couple of years back,and now must live by it.

Bit of pressure on young Buckley next year??? I think so....Good thing too.

I reckon Malthouse would love to coach Melbourne...The Ground work has almost been done.

Far be it from me to want to promote speculation on our head coaching position....

Good job that youre not then !! :rolleyes:

yep.. been mine too, doesnt stop any warranted observations or misgivings

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226090226423

If Malthouse and the club are at loggerheads over his role, it makes it more likely that he will leave at season's end..

The consensus amongst many , that being media and teh manin the street is that Micky was never really going to put up with that deal and was always likely to take another position elsewhere. This seems to be firming all along.

A salient point.A probably the greatest stumbling point to a possible appointment as Dees HC. Still the Footy D and RD often have more to do with the recruiting anyways and this is not possibly the be all and end all of predicaments it might seem at first look.

Its does make for interesting specualtion none the less

I do wonder what constraints ( or lack of ) might prevent say a Coach signing a HOA with club A whilst still committed to Club B ( but only to a certain date)

What brand of Can o' Worms shall we call this ?? :)

IMO, there's no role that doesn't burn Geoff Walsh

Football

Geoff Walsh Director of Football

Michael Malthouse Senior Coach

Tracey OConnor Executive Assistant

Nathan Buckley Assistant Coach

Scott Watters Assistant Coach

Matthew Lappin Assistant Coach

Mark Neeld Assistant Coach

Max Hudghton Defensive Coach

Tarkyn Lockyer VFL Coach/Development

Paul Licuria VFL Manager/Player Development Manager

Craig McRae Development Manager

Anthony Rocca Development assistant

Shane Joules Opposition Analyst

David Stiff High Performance Manager/Player Psychology

Derek Hine National Recruiting Manager

Jason Taylor National Recruiting Assistant

Dominic Milesi National Recruiting Assistant

Andrew Lockyer WA Recruiting Manager

Michael Armfield SA Recruiting Manager

David Buttifant Director of Sports Science

Michael Dugina Strength and Conditioning Coach

Luke Vella VFL Conditioning

Lachlan Fooks Rehabilitation Physiotherapist

Kevin White Sports Science

Con Hrysomallis Conditioning

Rohan Bownds Head Trainer

Wayne Connor Property Manager

Marcus Wagner Football Technology Manager

Jason Kelly Football Technology Assistant

Tony Nicol VFL Property Manager

Blake McLean Exercise Scientist/ PhD Candidate

Edited by old55

It's my opinion that we don't have enough coaches and need to expand our coaching panel... I'd say MFC should keep Bailey, just not as head coach. It's highly unlikely that if bailey was to be drop from the main job at the MFC, that there will be another job waiting for him at AFL level...

It's my opinion that we don't have enough coaches and need to expand our coaching panel... I'd say MFC should keep Bailey, just not as head coach. It's highly unlikely that if bailey was to be drop from the main job at the MFC, that there will be another job waiting for him at AFL level...

Tatu I am not sure what you are telling me here!

Are you suggesting we have to keep Bailey because he would be out of a job if we do not extend his contract?

At the end of this year his contract expires, at that point our obligations to him come to an end.

If he is judged to be not good enough to take Melbourne forward then why is it the MFC's problem if there is no other job for him at AFL level.

Surely you are not suggesting we have to keep any coach that is not good enough because there is no other coaching position available for that person.

Please tell me I missed the point.

Edited by old dee

Absolutely correct!

And as if a new coach would want the old one lurking around the club, and as if a dumped coach is going to want to hang around the club after being demoted!

If his contract isn't renewed, then he can explore his options, and no doubt would get a role in footy or the media somewhere.

Edited by Real Demon

Malthouse was a wobbly kick away from being another Collingwood multiple choker.

He is not the answer for us .

Anyway ,Jimmy will back DB .

Malthouse was a wobbly kick away from being another Collingwood multiple choker.

just like Norm Smith was in 64.

Why is he "not the answer for us"

Because you don't like him?

The fact is Malthouse has the runs on the board.

You can say whatever you like about him but he has Premierships to his credit.

Funny you say this as I sit watching the game ( cats v westies ) with bro in law a staunch Filth from a big tribe of filth and they dont particularly rate Mouse, reckoning its nore his entourage and the facilities that brought success to bear more than just Mick.Thats all debatable but im not sold hes the answer to all problems either. A PR coup indeed it'd be but sound thinking ??? all a bit suss.

But he wasn't a choker. He won. He's a winner.

We should be so lucky to have him as coach of our club.

Guest hangon007

But he wasn't a choker. He won. He's a winner.

We should be so lucky to have him as coach of our club.

Yeah but will we understand his after match cryptic stuff ... I'm as cryptic as they come but I have no idea what he is saying half the time. Many who know him well say he is a very hard bloke to work out.

He has done what has been needed to the get the right kids at this club . Now we need to do what is needed to get the right proven coach to lead those kids. And sorry but mick IS! Proven at 2 different teams with premiership glory. So bad luck dean we want success not sympathy and warm feelings. Prove us different by years end? Or bye bye.

Tatu I am not sure what you are telling me here!

Are you suggesting we have to keep Bailey because he would be out of a job if we do not extend his contract?

At the end of this year his contract expires, at that point our obligations to him come to an end.

If he is judged to be not good enough to take Melbourne forward then why is it the MFC's problem if there is no other job for him at AFL level.

Surely you are not suggesting we have to keep any coach that is not good enough because there is no other coaching position available for that person.

Please tell me I missed the point.

What i'm trying to saying is that i like Bailey as a coach, just not as a head coach. (I think he is a good enough coach, in the right position)

Would be good for the club to keep him on the coaching panel...I'm not saying the club should offer him a charity contract..

I think that if approach in the right manner, Bailey might except a lesser roll. That way we be able to expand our coahing panel and go forward with another coach.

It's really just a passing thought i had, i won't be hurt if this dosen't happen or if Bailey gets sacked. I just like him and wouldn't mind if he was still around in 2012...That's all....

Edited by tatu

Funny you say this as I sit watching the game ( cats v westies ) with bro in law a staunch Filth from a big tribe of filth and they dont particularly rate Mouse, reckoning its nore his entourage and the facilities that brought success to bear more than just Mick.Thats all debatable but im not sold hes the answer to all problems either. A PR coup indeed it'd be but sound thinking ??? all a bit suss.

I'm not sure what to make of Malthouse's record myself. He had one finals appearance at Footscray with a team which had a lot of capable players but was unfinancial. After 6 years he left with a 50% winning record and the Doggies facing a merger with Fitzroy. He moved to the Eagles where the ground work had already been laid in terms of the recruiting concessions and clever drafting late like Kemp. 2 flags in 10 years and finals every year is a big tick irrespective of the financial support and resourcing. He has basically had 2 bites of the cherry at the filth- from 2000-2004, from last to GF aand down again, and 2005 - present, which started with the tanking that landed Thomas and Pendlebury and ended with a flag. The most well resourced footy department in AFL history and 11 years for one flag. I'm thinking stick with Bailey.

I'm not sure what to make of Malthouse's record myself. He had one finals appearance at Footscray with a team which had a lot of capable players but was unfinancial. After 6 years he left with a 50% winning record and the Doggies facing a merger with Fitzroy. He moved to the Eagles where the ground work had already been laid in terms of the recruiting concessions and clever drafting late like Kemp. 2 flags in 10 years and finals every year is a big tick irrespective of the financial support and resourcing. He has basically had 2 bites of the cherry at the filth- from 2000-2004, from last to GF aand down again, and 2005 - present, which started with the tanking that landed Thomas and Pendlebury and ended with a flag. The most well resourced footy department in AFL history and 11 years for one flag. I'm thinking stick with Bailey.

Why WD so we can continue the trend of the last 40 years!

We have a team of well skilled players who can only beat the bottom half dozen sides

but not get closer than 8 -10 goals of anyone who is half decent.

Either the team is not as good as we think or we are poorly coached.

Agree with WD completely . Talk about silver platters .Eleven years? Should have been sacked given the times he squandered it .Malthouse is yesterdays man. He has two flags to his name and that's all he'll ever get .

I think the altitude training is something we should be doing .Stynes used to win the runs to the top of Mt Hotham-when we were good .

He lost more Finals than he's won hasn't he?

Outcoached by Matthews ,Roos ,Clarkson ,Thompson .

Do we need an old coach with such a young group?

just like Norm Smith was in 64.

Why is he "not the answer for us"

Because you don't like him?

The fact is Malthouse has the runs on the board.

You can say whatever you like about him but he has Premierships to his credit.

He aint no Norm Smith .Not even close

Not in the league of Smith ,Jeans ,Matthews or Barassi or even McHale .

And no ,I don't like him .

We have a team of well skilled players who can only beat the bottom half dozen sides

Old, I'm as frustrated as you, but I am also a realist. In Bailey's first two seasons he was under riding instructions to bottom out. He followed this direction faithfully to the detriment of his overall win - loss record. In essence, I believe he can only be judged on 2010 and 2011. Last year, I believe we were very competitive and showed some genuine improvement. This year has had it's moments yet I believe there are genuine signs of a developing, sustainable game plan. We were badly hurt by injuries and suspension after the Adelaide game and the next three weeks we struggled accordingly. Our performances have been inconsistent, but if you look at Hawthorn, for example in Clarkson's first two seasons, the Hawks won 5 games in 2005 (14th) and 9 in 2006 (11th). This was when they had already added Franklin and Roughead at the 2004 draft. I'd consider us to be tracking about the same as Hawthorn, if not a little better if you consider Bailey didn't really start coaching us to win until 2010. 8.5 wins last year and 12th spot, if we can get to 10.5 this year then I'd reappoint him. It's really all in his (and the players) hands!

Or the team is young and inexperienced and has not gotten close to its peak yet.

Or the team is young and inexperienced and has not gotten close to its peak yet.

Yeah, or this...

OD - I agree that the fans overrated the team...of 2011.

The core is there, they're just kids.

They get little help from those over 24 and therefore we struggle.

But the players are there.