Morton will go to GWS

Dee1987

Guest Artie Bucco

Don't ignore the fact that the recent changes to the game (the press) have made it much harder for players who play his style, that of a rangy player roaming the backline and wing area.

There needs to be a generous adjustment period, especially for a still-developing player.

Look at how long it has taken Goddard to properly adjust, for someone who was annointed the number 1 player in the game.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hangon007

Sounds like Morton is the new whipping boy around here ... sad comments from so called Melbourne "supporters."

I 100% agree with the Goddard precedent and have faith in Cale to improve with a top pre-season under his belt & a more defined role.

Cale Morton: Cale was pretty good defensively. He made a few errors when in possession, but overall was solid. We want to see Cale taking the game on more and getting more involved in our counter attack.

If that was "pretty good" we are stuffed. He was dragged to the goalsquare by every opponent, looked out of place and COULD NOT TACKLE resulting in at least one and depending on how harsh you are looking at the replay of the game three goals.

If they want him more in the counter attack, how about starting on the wing and moving forward? Dragging his opponent around the park for a change might help

If they want him more in the counter attack, how about starting on the wing and moving forward? Dragging his opponent around the park for a change might help

I don't agree. He needs to find a balance between defence and attack. Letting him play unaccountable football won't help him or us. I agree with what the coaches are trying to do with Cale. It should have been done much earlier. I expressed my ideas that Cale was getting a free ride back in 2009 and was howled down. It is impossible to gauge but I wonder if that has stifled his development.

Cale Morton: Cale was pretty good defensively. He made a few errors when in possession, but overall was solid. We want to see Cale taking the game on more and getting more involved in our counter attack.

If that was "pretty good" we are stuffed. He was dragged to the goalsquare by every opponent, looked out of place and COULD NOT TACKLE resulting in at least one and depending on how harsh you are looking at the replay of the game three goals.

To me this review reveals that they are trying to get him to work on specific areas of his game, and focusing their reviews on whether or not he addresses those specific areas. His disposal has been very average, but maybe our expectations are very different to that of the Footy Department. Maybe they are still very much focusing on developing Morton, rather than expecting him to be a top line player now.

For mine, I would much rather see him retained over guys like Bate and Dunn at the end of the year though. He's just got more potential upside.

I agree with the Goddard comments. reminds me a lot of him without the big leap. I think the rest of the season will be big for Cale. If he can have a good couple of games it will do well for his prospects. He needs some confidence and to use him when he is open, yes Ricky Petterd that means you!!

I'll be curious to read other's views but I never recall Goodard being worried about a contest or getting in amongst it. he just wasnt as tuned a footballer back then as he is today. He was raw but had the goods and needed to 'click' I dont see Morton quite in this vein. he has some damn fine skills but he doesnt get into the game even as a raw Goddard did.

i think the comparison whilst on the surface may be an attractive one on closer inspection has no grounds.

Gooddard was always champing at teh bit. You had the idea that one day he was going to really take games( teams) on and tear them one.....and he does. Though having said that we all observe this year isnt quite last year.

I just dont get that sense of urgency or immediacy about Cales game. far more laconical in approach somewhat tardy in application. Hes about 2/3 of a really good player but just dont think he has that other 1/3 in his bag of tricks.

Trade him

I'll be curious to read other's views but I never recall Goodard being worried about a contest or getting in amongst it. he just wasnt as tuned a footballer back then as he is today. He was raw but had the goods and needed to 'click' I dont see Morton quite in this vein. he has some damn fine skills but he doesnt get into the game even as a raw Goddard did.

i think the comparison whilst on the surface may be an attractive one on closer inspection has no grounds.

Gooddard was always champing at teh bit. You had the idea that one day he was going to really take games( teams) on and tear them one.....and he does. Though having said that we all observe this year isnt quite last year.

I just dont get that sense of urgency or immediacy about Cales game. far more laconical in approach somewhat tardy in application. Hes about 2/3 of a really good player but just dont think he has that other 1/3 in his bag of tricks.

Trade him

When my St Kilda supporting buddies were having a go at Goddard they didn't he just wasn't 'tuned in'...

They called him soft, and precious, and rubbish.

Just as with Cale.

When my St Kilda supporting buddies were having a go at Goddard they didn't he just wasn't 'tuned in'...

Just as with Cale.

they may have said that rpfc, but you don't really think Morton is a good comparison to a younger Goddard do you?

I've cursed Cale Morton at games when he hasn't gone hard enough, but also cheered him when I've seen him show courage and go back with the flight to take marks when he could have been crunched.

My observations on Cale are that he looks like a guy who went through underage football on the back of his talent alone.

He is yet to reach the required intencity / physicality for AFL football, and still tries to get by with just talent, but I've also seen signs that he is trying to change this in his game.

You also don't see many other players in the AFL like Morton.......with his height, athletiscsim, and skill, but also with such a light frame.

Trading him after 4 years sounds great, but for what?????? Some speculative draft pick????????

The guy has talent......why would we just dump him and run now???????

Does Colin Syvia ring any bells? Should we have dumped him after 4 years because he wasn't up to it.

After 4 injury interupted seasons, it would be absolutely foolish to cut him loose now.

And why are the football experts on here implying that 4 years is the cut off point for either making it or not making it?????

Every player is different, and requires different time frames to develop.

Brad Miller lasted a hell of a lot longer on our list than what some are proposing Morton does, with a hell of a lot less talent!

Cale shouldn't be going anywhere at this stage IMO!

Just as with Cale.

Ive a few Saints buddies too.. didtn share your mates views though. Must have entered different gates at Linton perhaps...lol

I wonder if they ever lined up Goddard at training :rolleyes:

they may have said that rpfc, but you don't really think Morton is a good comparison to a younger Goddard do you?

The guy was maligned DC.

Those comparing the two aren't (or shouldn't be) saying that Cale will be as good, but that the circumstances of a high drat pick with a slight body struggling to play AFL footy the way fans want.

And Morton's first two seasons were quite good. He has struggled since, I wouldn't be getting rid of him because the chances he becomes a player outweighs whatever pathetic deal we could get for him.

Hardly a ringing endorsement, the work is ahead for Cale.

Just as with Cale.

Agreed - Goddard was often referred to as a pea heart

Guest hangon007

I've cursed Cale Morton at games when he hasn't gone hard enough, but also cheered him when I've seen him show courage and go back with the flight to take marks when he could have been crunched.

My observations on Cale are that he looks like a guy who went through underage football on the back of his talent alone.

He is yet to reach the required intencity / physicality for AFL football, and still tries to get by with just talent, but I've also seen signs that he is trying to change this in his game.

You also don't see many other players in the AFL like Morton.......with his height, athletiscsim, and skill, but also with such a light frame.

Trading him after 4 years sounds great, but for what?????? Some speculative draft pick????????

The guy has talent......why would we just dump him and run now???????

Does Colin Syvia ring any bells? Should we have dumped him after 4 years because he wasn't up to it.

After 4 injury interupted seasons, it would be absolutely foolish to cut him loose now.

And why are the football experts on here implying that 4 years is the cut off point for either making it or not making it?????

Every player is different, and requires different time frames to develop.

Brad Miller lasted a hell of a lot longer on our list than what some are proposing Morton does, with a hell of a lot less talent!

Cale shouldn't be going anywhere at this stage IMO!

Very good point ... IMHO we should be targeting a slower maturing player than giving them away ... Josh Kennedy type player comes to mind.

Cale is and should be a required player, unless the deal is just toooooo good to refuse or Cale wants to go.

The guy was maligned DC.

With Goddard it was drive to "maligned" and then drive 30 kilometres past until you reach "soft, underperforming, underdelivering pea heart".

Three years ago ( maybe four) he was an absolute whipping boy at StKilda and a complete waste of a high pick - to the extent that there were strong rumours ( yeah i know ! rumours !) of him being traded out.

The guy was maligned DC.

Those comparing the two aren't (or shouldn't be) saying that Cale will be as good, but that the circumstances of a high drat pick with a slight body struggling to play AFL footy the way fans want.

And Morton's first two seasons were quite good. He has struggled since, I wouldn't be getting rid of him because the chances he becomes a player outweighs whatever pathetic deal we could get for him.

Hardly a ringing endorsement, the work is ahead for Cale.

Well if GWS want him we won't have much say in it..........

Trade him

Careful. You and many well recognised posters here said the same for Rivers back in September '09 and here in August '09. Here's another.. Also this MacDonald for whom ? thread .

And um...I told you so regarding Geelong being competitive (top 4) again for the Premiership (last October), despite losing Ablett to GC. Much to your disgust at the time. Here it is ... Chris Scott thread .

Don't they look all good on top ?! Must have some great leaders hey ? And they've blooded some youth as stated last October by Scott.

So, be careful on Morton...

edit: there's this pearler too

With all this criticism of Morton I was just reminded of one crucial thing I think we should all remember, while i was looking over our player list.

Morton was born in 1990, the same year Bennell, Strauss, Jetta, McKenzie, Howe, Maric. So in other words, he's still young. I think most of us would be prepared to give the other guys born in 1990 more time, so in that case we should do the same with Morton.

I guess the fact that he's been in the system for 4 years already influences our views of him, and the fact that he started his career so well, but when it comes down to it, he's still got possibly 10 more playing years ahead of him, and I'd rather give him a cpl more years to turn things around than risk him breaking out at another club.

The one thing he has going for him, is that there is no other player on our list who IMO has the same flexibility that he has. So I reckon we should give up a Dunn or a Bate before Morton.

Guest Artie Bucco

So conflicted over Morton.

Like MFC a big gap between his best and worst efforts

Yeah, I think that is fair.

And just like with MFC, supporters are being too impatient and not understanding of the process.

Careful. You and many well recognised posters here said the same for Rivers back in September '09 and here in August '09. Here's another.. Also this MacDonald for whom ? thread .

And um...I told you so regarding Geelong being competitive (top 4) again for the Premiership (last October), despite losing Ablett to GC. Much to your disgust at the time. Here it is ... Chris Scott thread .

Don't they look all good on top ?! Must have some great leaders hey ? And they've blooded some youth as stated last October by Scott.

So, be careful on Morton...

edit: there's this pearler too

Ahhh HT - Keeping EMOland accountable...well done

Yeah, I think that is fair.

And just like with MFC, supporters are being too impatient and not understanding of the process.

Not me - you can accuse me of being over patient - I sit squarely in the "hang on to them for way too long" camp

Except for ruckman who for some reason blossom late - I dont believe we see what a player really brings to the table until 23

Guest Artie Bucco

Not me - you can accuse me of being over patient - I sit squarely in the "hang on to them for way too long" camp

Except for ruckman who for some reason blossom late - I dont believe we see what a player really brings to the table until 23

Good, you adopt an intelligent and surprisingly rare stance on developing players.