Crowd Behaviour

gotzy9

If I got booted from the G for calling Strauss' HTB decision f**king balls I'd never be able to go back.

I think you will find that the rules will be excercised with a fair bit of discretion with warnings etc. I doubt you would get thrown out for something like that. I think the rules are designed for the more vitriolic and repetetive language and probably won't be acted on the complaint of a single person.

If people can't restrain themselves then they need to harden up rather than the other way around.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find that the rules will be excercised with a fair bit of discretion with warnings etc. I doubt you would get thrown out for something like that. I think the rules are designed for the more vitriolic and repetetive language and probably won't be acted on the complaint of a single person.

If people can't restrain themselves then they need to harden up rather than the other way around.

youve got to be joking??shouldnt the people that take offence to such petty behaviour be the ones who need to harden up??They cant deal with a few words that arent even directed at them anyway?? If the AFL are serious about stamping out swearing the first thing they should do is have a look at the standard of umpiring. Its hard for people not to get frustrated when they are so pedantic about every little thing!

Totally agree juzzk1d. You should be able to let your passion come out at the footy.Obviously racial abuse should have a zero tolerance approach but anything else is fair game and a part of footy.We shouldnt be getting involved in little [censored] for tat crap where certain words get banned etc. The rule should simply be no racism. If you dont like it then go follow netball or tiddlywinks or something else.

Well, if you can't show passion without swearing like the proverbial trooper, then I don't think the problem is the PC brigade... I would say the problem is a distinct lack of imagination and vocabulary on the part of the person doing the swearing.

While we are all off at the netball or tiddlywinks or whatever, you lot can be off at wrestlemania or the coq-fights or some truck racing meet... the footy will be a very lonely place.

Edited by hardtack

Yes, this is to give some legislation to support kicking people out for repeatedly gettingout of their seat and profusely swearing.

They ain't gonna kick you out for saying 'frack' under your breath whenever Newton goes near the pill.

Small children shouldn't be subjected to F-bombs and C-bombs in any public forum, be it the footy or the ballet. Simple as that.

Racism in this day and age is unbelievable. Perpetrators should, for the rest of the game, be made to sit in a special cage set aside for them, wearing orange jumpsuits with "moron" written on them.

On the Eddie outburst, I sort of agree with his sentiment but as a club President he should be deferring to protocol and letting the proper authorities deal with it. Pointing fingers and mouthing threats does nothing but appeal to the lowest common denominator among football fans, which at his own club as we all know, isn't that hard.

Well, if you can't show passion without swearing like the proverbial trooper, then I don't think the problem is the PC brigade... I would say the problem is a distinct lack of imagination and vocabulary on the part of the person doing the swearing.

While we are all off at the netball or tiddlywinks or whatever, you lot can be off at wrestlemania or the coq-fights or some truck racing meet... the footy will be a very lonely place.

I hope you are not denigrating/discriminating/abusing/marginalising the unfortunate minority group of vocabulary-challenged people in our community. Their misfortune is just as real as other forms of handicap or disadvantage. :blink: :blink:

Yes, this is to give some legislation to support kicking people out for repeatedly gettingout of their seat and profusely swearing.

They ain't gonna kick you out for saying 'frack' under your breath whenever Newton goes near the pill.

Might find a few players get booted out, eh?

Might find a few players get booted out, eh?

Hey, maybe you have inadvertently hit upon the solution right there - anyone caught swearing could be marched 50 metres back from their position in the stands... repeated infringements will result in an appearance before the Russell Street tribunal.

i must admit i do find myself swearing occasionally at the footy - but its usually under my breath and when the opp has kicked a goal - and id be surprised if even the person sitting next to me heard it.

rascism is a no

im pretty vocal at the footy and probably a complete bore - but thats because my comments are usually lame and repeated. lost count of the number of times i said "c judd, 3 votes" at the carlton game....(the best bit was when watts took the ball out of judds arms - couldnt believe it wasnt a free kick and that watts wasnt reported) or "trengove looked at the man with the ball........3 weeks"

anyway old dee is right, you hear much worse on the playground these days

This really is an issue and a half isnt it. Lets set out our ground rules then to see if theres some consensus.

Mine is simply no racism and people who continue to go on and on (toan extent that a reasonable average joe football supporter would say is over the top and very excessive) are given a polite warning. Surely we cant start banning certain words can we?? that is exactly why these new rules that allow cops to give on the spot fines for swearing are utterly ridiculous....

So for example is the c word and f word worst than [censored], d1ckhead, [censored], [censored]?? Will i get away with some and not others??

What if the word is said in another language??

How is their any proof in the courts (if someone was to appeal) that a word was said

Does it matter whether its directed at someone or internal?

Does it matter whether it was uttered under someones breath or yelled.

Seriously we all need to harden up a little bit and stop making our society and our great game so soft

Seriously we all need to harden up a little bit and stop making our society and our great game so soft

nail. head. absolutely sick of it, where is it headed? soon there will be no negative comments about the opposition or the ump in case somebody gets hurt feelings. awww diddums

So for example is the c word and f word worst than [censored], d1ckhead, [censored], [censored]?? Will i get away with some and not others??

How is their any proof in the courts (if someone was to appeal) that a word was said

You clearly have a problem there. The good news is that you dont need to advertise the problem to those that have the misfortune of sitting near you.

Guest bauschy88

I think jeff gieschen and the umpiring department shuld be blamed for the escalating use of profanities at the footy. Lets be honest.. Some decisions are a trigger reaction for the f bomb and other blunt insults. I do agree with juzzk1d about possibly having an separate area for supporters who know they are likely not to contain their frustration/anger and belt out some profanities in the heat of the moment.. Also, considering there is no shortage of alcohol at the footy.. Some ppl will obviously react more aggressively after a few drinks.. Alcohol will always be available.. Sure ppl hav to be responsible with how much they consume.. But ultimately its the afl's fault in all aspects. And of course, racial abuse cannot be tolerated at any level.

gotzy8... I think you will find that it isn't so much the words, but more the way in which they are used. Passion and letting the odd "F" bomb slip out is one thing and acceptable within reason, but some drunk (or not) yobbo who is practically foaming at the mouth and letting loose a string of abuse should not be tolerated in any shape or form.

To draw a comparison between the use of abusive language and racist language, the line has to be drawn somewhere. It is pretty apparent that a zero tolerance approach is taken with racial vilification, so maybe for consistency's sake, they are considering the same approach with abusive language, even though there are grey areas in both - for example, the use of the term "wog" or "[censored]" or "jap" etc... many people may use these with no intent to vilify, but simply because they have never considered them to be racist terms (and because they are often used in humour etc - eg "Wogs out of Work"), but removing them from the football arena, is part of the education.

As much as some disagree swearing in this day and age really has become a social norm.

Against Sydney I was sitting on the second level in a rather quiet section where 3 drunk guys rolled on about a variety of topics. Stefan the f**king hairdresser got a few laughs, Cale was called a [censored]-cat minus the cat countless times and the f bomb dropped countlessly. A very nice family was sitting two rows in front with kids ranging at guess 2-12.. the father did the occasional turn around to have a look who was yelling out but for 3 quarters and with ample opportunity did not move albeit with countless seats available elsewhere. They were far from a 'Collingwood' family who would expect this kind of language from Dad watching an episode of The Simpsons in front of the idiot box, and it appeared to me he has considered the behaviour to be normal at the football. That was blown by the 4th quarter when they were dropping c's and evicted but it did raise a point to me that most and granted not all, when attending the football expect that.

Whether it is right or wrong is not my problem, but I think buying a ticket to a game comes with the *conditions apply that maybe just maybe some passion will be shown.

gotzy8... I think you will find that it isn't so much the words, but more the way in which they are used. Passion and letting the odd "F" bomb slip out is one thing and acceptable within reason, but some drunk (or not) yobbo who is practically foaming at the mouth and letting loose a string of abuse should not be tolerated in any shape or form.

To draw a comparison between the use of abusive language and racist language, the line has to be drawn somewhere. It is pretty apparent that a zero tolerance approach is taken with racial vilification, so maybe for consistency's sake, they are considering the same approach with abusive language, even though there are grey areas in both - for example, the use of the term "wog" or "[censored]" or "jap" etc... many people may use these with no intent to vilify, but simply because they have never considered them to be racist terms (and because they are often used in humour etc - eg "Wogs out of Work"), but removing them from the football arena, is part of the education.

ANZAC Day crowd would be down to 35,000 at quarter time. No, no and no.

This really is an issue and a half isnt it. Lets set out our ground rules then to see if theres some consensus.

Mine is simply no racism and people who continue to go on and on (toan extent that a reasonable average joe football supporter would say is over the top and very excessive) are given a polite warning. Surely we cant start banning certain words can we?? that is exactly why these new rules that allow cops to give on the spot fines for swearing are utterly ridiculous....

Cataclysmos follis te cunni stupri

or

Вы чертовски пизда душ мешок

As much as some disagree swearing in this day and age really has become a social norm.

Against Sydney I was sitting on the second level in a rather quiet section where 3 drunk guys rolled on about a variety of topics. Stefan the f**king hairdresser got a few laughs, Cale was called a [censored]-cat minus the cat countless times and the f bomb dropped countlessly. A very nice family was sitting two rows in front with kids ranging at guess 2-12.. the father did the occasional turn around to have a look who was yelling out but for 3 quarters and with ample opportunity did not move albeit with countless seats available elsewhere. They were far from a 'Collingwood' family who would expect this kind of language from Dad watching an episode of The Simpsons in front of the idiot box, and it appeared to me he has considered the behaviour to be normal at the football. That was blown by the 4th quarter when they were dropping c's and evicted but it did raise a point to me that most and granted not all, when attending the football expect that.

Whether it is right or wrong is not my problem, but I think buying a ticket to a game comes with the *conditions apply that maybe just maybe some passion will be shown.

Seriously... it's got me beat as to how any of that can be construed as passion.

That point I was clearly stating how swearing seems to be becoming a social norm.

I based that response on your closing sentence: "Whether it is right or wrong is not my problem, but I think buying a ticket to a game comes with the *conditions apply that maybe just maybe some passion will be shown."

Anyway, as I have also clearly stated, it comes down to the delivery of the language rather than the language itself (within reason).

Guest Artie Bucco

Swearing at the footy, apparently a great Aussie tradition...garbage.

Probabaly started in essence in the 70's and 80's and should go the way of the mullet. There's a time and place for everything. F's and especially C's next to my kids is not the time and place and if you do it I'll ask you to stop.

Pick the posters who don't have families.

I tend to agree with your post, even though I'm a young bloke without a family.

I think it probably comes down to common decency.

On this topic, I am actually torn.

In general, I have no issue at all with swearing and find it funny when people object.

The idea that "the F bomb" isn't offensive, but "[censored]" is, when they mean exactly the same thing, actually amuses me.

Or that "bloody" may be acceptable, but "f*cking" isn't, even though they are arbitrary words used merely to give greater emphasis.

I see no difference.

But when it comes to swearing infront of kids & old people, I also object.

Immature people may say "get over it", but the reality is that you're being offensive towards the people around you.

It comes down to respect for others.

And yourself really.

Swearing may be becoming more widely accepted, but it doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Respect for others should be paramount.