The Tom Scully Saga

This thread is like The Bald and the Beautiful. I don't watch it for 4 years, then one day I'm home sick so I watch it, and guess what... nothing has changed. The plot is the same, this guy is still trying to crack onto his half sister, this other guy is still drunk and somehow Tom Scully is a cheating, lying scumbag traitor who is going to GWS because Sheedy drugged him, had some girl impregnate herself with his sperm and now he has to make good to his baby mama.

Worst.Thread.Ever............. (which I of course cannot stop reading)

Edited by Jaded

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scully does not deserve top dollar at this stage. It will only push up the cost of retaining players who do want to stay on our list.

I agree he doesn't deserve top dollar. But he will need to be paid overs if he is to stay.

from what I understand players will stay at there current club for a less money than they are being offered elsewhere. The thing that tempts them is when the gap between offers is too big to refuse.

It's simple: trade Morton & Bate for draft picks.

Creates room in salary cap to pay Scully the extra money to stay.

Wrong.

The club should not be held to ransom.

If he goes he goes. It will hurt but I won't lose sleep over a player who never wanted to be at the Melbourne Football Club. Money aside that is the mark in which he will be stamped.

I will then look forward to the boys we then recruit with our compensation.

I'm sick of thinking about it. If he goes, then stuff him, enjoy the back of my nuts that is western Sydney.

Edited by Beetle

The number of people on here that want to only play Scully when he has signed is starting to grow...

This would be an embarrassment if we did this.

This would be turning this saga into a distraction.

Just respect his wishes and stop sounding like a paranoid girlfriend.

He'll sign for the Dees in October because why would anybody want to leave?

Every interview with an MFC person about this very talented freaky prat makes the point that the issue is not destabilizing. How can it not be? Even if there's only a slight list off the upright, the ship can go off coarse. As far as I'm concerned if he doesn't sign by the bye, then he shouldn't be played. Will this 'loyal' bloke put the club through this scenario every time he comes out of contract? That is - if he stays. Stuff him!

did tom actually say points 1 and 2, or is that your interpretation of what he said?

not saying you are wrong but are you expanding a little?

No he didnt actually say that and I was taking a little licence with those comments but I can't see what other reason he would have to put the contract negotiations off for such a long time. What I can't understand is how can all these other players out of contract and probably of interest to GWS can commit and have their management start negotiations but Tom cant commit to the Demons. How could he be more distracted than with what is going on around him at the moment. So if that was the reason to put off negotiations it seems pretty lame excuse. Surely he and his management would have known exactly what was going to happen in the media and amongst the supporters once he made that statement. It was never going to quell the rumourmongers and I cant believe the Club also believed that it would quieten the jungle drums. The only statement that will bring it all to an end is I WILL BE A DEMON. So I might have taken licence but I unfortunately cant see any other reason for him to defer negotiations until he knew either what Melbourne could come up with to counter what GWS had already offered or see what both parties were willing to offer at the end of the season. They can't contract him until the end of the season but a nonbinding agreement could be reached prior to the end of the season. I wonder if they would have given him a final offer given that anything could have happened prior to the end of the season. Also wouldn't they probably want him to go through a medical to ensure his knee injury may not cut short his career.

I just believe that there is something else going on whether it be Morton or Colin. Someone is lying through their back teeth - Sheedy, Demitriou, Tom or the Club. We might be shocked to know who it was at the end of the season or we might not be. Whoever it is will never be trusted again but we will move on because the team is the sum of all parts not just one midfielder.

Every interview with an MFC person about this very talented freaky prat makes the point that the issue is not destabilizing. How can it not be? Even if there's only a slight list off the upright, the ship can go off coarse. As far as I'm concerned if he doesn't sign by the bye, then he shouldn't be played. Will this 'loyal' bloke put the club through this scenario every time he comes out of contract? That is - if he stays. Stuff him!

Should Sylvia be allowed to play if he's been offered a contract and hasn't signed it?

Should we have sent Davey to wallow in the VFL for all of last year if he'd been offered a contract some time during the season?

etc.

What I would love to happen is; big game, down by 5, scully grabs ball half back runs te ground kicks one from 50 siren goes scully faces Mcc and points to the Melbourne emblem on our jumper.

On that note I'm off to bed to keep this dream going

I was just reading article in this mornings HUN about previous big name trades, he mentioned Buckley, Anthony Rocca, Shannon Grant & Jeff White.

My quick recollections of each trade.

Nathan Buckley - first round draft pick and Brisbanes selection of any two contracted players outside of pies nominated 10 players.

Shannon Grant - Wayne Schwass (Highly arguable which team made the better trade)

Anthony Rocca - Pick 18, 33 and two players

Jeff White - Picks 2 & 18

I think i would be far more comfortable losing Tom if this is what our compensation was going to be.

As always Demetriou will provide a biased slant to make a point.

Nathan Buckley - first round draft pick and Brisbanes selection of any two contracted players outside of pies nominated 10 players.

Shannon Grant - Wayne Schwass (Highly arguable which team made the better trade)

Anthony Rocca - Pick 18, 33 and two players

Jeff White - Picks 2 & 18

I think i would be far more comfortable losing Tom if this is what our compensation was going to be.

Pipe dreams.

I think I speak for all of us when I say we will get shafted.

This thread is like The Bald and the Beautiful. I don't watch it for 4 years, then one day I'm home sick so I watch it, and guess what... nothing has changed. The plot is the same, this guy is still trying to crack onto his half sister, this other guy is still drunk and somehow Tom Scully is a cheating, lying scumbag traitor who is going to GWS because Sheedy drugged him, had some girl impregnate herself with his sperm and now he has to make good to his baby mama.

Worst.Thread.Ever............. (which I of course cannot stop reading)

wake me up when it ends....

Who gives a flying if it is destabilising.

We are not going to win a final this season let alone challenge for top honours.

And Rogue is right - this stuff happens all the time, hell, Watts didn't sign until after the season last year.

I don't think it is fair to have a higher burden on Tom just because he is highly sought after.

Melbourne fans are not used to having nice things, and we are showing it.

Edited by rpfc

No, more like Melbourne fans are used to being shafted. And we just cop it, nice guys that we are.

Cop what?

Nothing has happened to us yet...

How about this: You can lose your nut if he goes, but until then try to keep it together people...

Should Sylvia be allowed to play if he's been offered a contract and hasn't signed it?

Should we have sent Davey to wallow in the VFL for all of last year if he'd been offered a contract some time during the season?

etc.

Exactly right Rogue. We have a few uncontracted players at the moment. Do we say to them there not playing until they sign. What about the guys that want to sign and haven't been given a contract, do they say well im not playing until i get a contract?

I always found it strange clubs offer players contracts well before they end. He is contracted to the club until October, no reason to sign him until his last one expires! to many people being sucked in by the media here. AFL is loving it because it is promoting GWS. The media loves it because people are reading the stories and listening to there egos. Scully's manager is loving it because his price is rising. The only loser out of this is the MFC. Scully is piggy in the middle.

Sign Lynch as weights/steroids coach to keep TS at Melbourne .

Juice up Morton ,Gawn ,Howe ,Gysberts , Scully ,Maric ,Watts and we'll be right .

Anyone else been following the Western Force / james Oconnor situation?!

Rumours have been rife for months that he had done a deal with the Melb Rebels. Then a week or two ago he came out and said he was staying with the Force but was just going through the fine print before signing on. 2 weeks on and the Force have had enough of his games to drag out his contract discussions and have said that they arent going to offer him a contract at all! BAM!

Doesnt really apply to the Scully situation ,although as many people have said, the longer he doesnt sign the more likley it is that hes shopping for more cash and therfore loyalty wont play a part in it?

Anyone else been following the Western Force / james Oconnor situation?!

Rumours have been rife for months that he had done a deal with the Melb Rebels. Then a week or two ago he came out and said he was staying with the Force but was just going through the fine print before signing on. 2 weeks on and the Force have had enough of his games to drag out his contract discussions and have said that they arent going to offer him a contract at all! BAM!

Doesnt really apply to the Scully situation ,although as many people have said, the longer he doesnt sign the more likley it is that hes shopping for more cash and therfore loyalty wont play a part in it?

James O'Connor on his move to the Rebels: "I want what's best for myself and building my rugby brand." And another little bit of me died.

I hate that Demetriou is trying to justify the assistance they have given GWS by showing that other players have left in previous days.

What he does not say is that those players left with no extra help from the AFL, no extra cash from the AFL. They left because they wanted to leave the original club for several reasons, but it was not the AFL making it possible.

Whatever happens in the end, if Scully leaves, it will be for the money, and the money only. He cannot use the "home sick" card, the "wanting a new challenge" card.

The AFL are loving what is happening and hope he leaves us. It is simple as that.

Hopefully Tom Scully does not chase the cash, but I am certain Demetriou and his buddies want him too.

No he didnt actually say that and I was taking a little licence with those comments but I can't see what other reason he would have to put the contract negotiations off for such a long time. What I can't understand is how can all these other players out of contract and probably of interest to GWS can commit and have their management start negotiations but Tom cant commit to the Demons. How could he be more distracted than with what is going on around him at the moment. So if that was the reason to put off negotiations it seems pretty lame excuse. Surely he and his management would have known exactly what was going to happen in the media and amongst the supporters once he made that statement. It was never going to quell the rumourmongers and I cant believe the Club also believed that it would quieten the jungle drums. The only statement that will bring it all to an end is I WILL BE A DEMON. So I might have taken licence but I unfortunately cant see any other reason for him to defer negotiations until he knew either what Melbourne could come up with to counter what GWS had already offered or see what both parties were willing to offer at the end of the season. They can't contract him until the end of the season but a nonbinding agreement could be reached prior to the end of the season. I wonder if they would have given him a final offer given that anything could have happened prior to the end of the season. Also wouldn't they probably want him to go through a medical to ensure his knee injury may not cut short his career.

I just believe that there is something else going on whether it be Morton or Colin. Someone is lying through their back teeth - Sheedy, Demitriou, Tom or the Club. We might be shocked to know who it was at the end of the season or we might not be. Whoever it is will never be trusted again but we will move on because the team is the sum of all parts not just one midfielder.

Can't disagree with most of what you say

Tom (/his mgmt) obviously think he will get a better deal by leaving it till end of season

If he intends staying I hope it is not on an unrealistic payment as that will have repercussions for years to come (and in fact impede future flag hopes which would be to his detriment too)

Personally, it doesn't make any sense to me why GWS would want him as a marquee player. He's too young and inexperienced to say how good he will be and he has obvious flaws in size and kicking and he is too inexperienced for leadership roles. As for PR he would mean nothing in Sydney and hasn't the maturity yet to be the public face of the club. In short, he is nowhere near your Ablett. As a young developing good prospect why would they bother spending big money when they have the pick of the countries youth for minimal cost. No, doesn't make sense, they need a few experienced hard-bodied good players...not Scully

Still, the circus continues and the media only make it worse by their lack of objectivity.

The number of people on here that want to only play Scully when he has signed is starting to grow...

This would be an embarrassment if we did this.

This would be turning this saga into a distraction.

Just respect his wishes and stop sounding like a paranoid girlfriend.

Exactly. Some of the hand wringing on here is more disturbing than the uncertainty over Scully's contract.

etc.

Agree Rogue. This Scully only plays if he signs stupidity is the ultimate gun to the foot of list management. Its a really dumb concept with terrible possibly unintended consequences on the remainin playing group.

I wouldn't think GWS would want Scully as their marquee player. He comes across as a bit shy and introverted and isn't exactely the type to want to front pressers all the time spruiking the new club.

Personally, it doesn't make any sense to me why GWS would want him as a marquee player. He's too young and inexperienced to say how good he will be and he has obvious flaws in size and kicking and he is too inexperienced for leadership roles. As for PR he would mean nothing in Sydney and hasn't the maturity yet to be the public face of the club. In short, he is nowhere near your Ablett.

Yes, I am not certain they will be giving their biggest cheque to a 19 year old introvert...

Probably a good thing they have two years to get players because they will most likely need it to get that marquee player.

Essentially, it gives them access to two/thirds of the players as opposed to the one third that the GC had.

Can't disagree with most of what you say

Tom (/his mgmt) obviously think he will get a better deal by leaving it till end of season

If he intends staying I hope it is not on an unrealistic payment as that will have repercussions for years to come (and in fact impede future flag hopes which would be to his detriment too)

Personally, it doesn't make any sense to me why GWS would want him as a marquee player. He's too young and inexperienced to say how good he will be and he has obvious flaws in size and kicking and he is too inexperienced for leadership roles. As for PR he would mean nothing in Sydney and hasn't the maturity yet to be the public face of the club. In short, he is nowhere near your Ablett. As a young developing good prospect why would they bother spending big money when they have the pick of the countries youth for minimal cost. No, doesn't make sense, they need a few experienced hard-bodied good players...not Scully

Still, the circus continues and the media only make it worse by their lack of objectivity.

I wouldn't think GWS would want Scully as their marquee player. He comes across as a bit shy and introverted and isn't exactely the type to want to front pressers all the time spruiking the new club.

He doesn't have to be their marquee player. In fact they might not even choose to go down that route. They might instead select 3 or 4 young guns on 800 grand a year instead of paying one or two blokes 1.5 mil each.

It's impossible to make a case for them not to want Tom. He's going to be an out and out gun.

Edited by Range Rover