Williamstown v Casey Scorpions

Roost It

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a great Strauss fan I must admit. I think he is too loose for a back and lacks intensity. Today he has done a few good things but is fairly quiet IMO.

I think he has been great today, he would have about 10 effective kicks so far.

Guest DeesPower

Unfortunately Williamstown scored 3 goals in the last 3 mins of the third quarter and are 17 point up a the third break . Casey though are kicking to the scoring end in the last. Goal kickers were Howe and Scully in that quarter. I fear Casey are running out of legs, particular some of the listed players going by the opening minutes of the last.

Guest DeesPower

Unfortunately Williamstown scored 3 goals in the last 3 mins of the third quarter and are 17 point up a the third break . Casey though are kicking to the scoring end in the last. Goal kickers were Howe and Scully in that quarter. I fear Casey are running out of legs, particular some of the listed players going by the opening minutes of the last.

15 mins into the last , one more goal apiece. Fev now has 4.

Guest DeesPower

15 mins into the last , one more goal apiece. Fev now has 4.

25 min mark it is Williamstown by 34 points. Casey have got the Melbourne ipps. Three goals in the second half really not good enough. Basically run out of gas. The hard running has disappeared .

Disappointing finish. Ran out of legs.

Casey Scorpions 0.1.1 7.4.46 9.7.61 10.8.68

Williamstown 4.5.29 7.7.49 11.12.78 15.18.108

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fevola 3 Howe 2 Blease Collins Cook Scully Stockdale

Williamstown Grant 4 Hooper 3 Cordy Jolley 2 Barlow Dahlhaus Hahn Stack

Best

Casey Scorpions Gawn Howe Collins Mohr Davis Scully

Williamstown Mulligan Johnson Stack Jolley Barlow Djerrkura

2 questions id like answered please.

Does Scully look like he can come back into the seniors or does he need another run for Casey?

Has Gawn put some muscle on him. I admit I dont go to Casey games so I havent seen him since he was drafted and very skinny. Could he go up against Hille, Bellchambers and Ryder next week?

Can Max Gawn go with the experienced ruckmen at Essendon?

I think it's a matter of necessity if we want to avoid the sort of spectacle we saw last night. The kid's a big ruckman and Newton as backup is a major fail.

(note: I'm Max's sponsor at the club but there's no bias in my views)

Thanks for the updates guys. Is Gawn matched up against Hudson, hoping he'd get an AFL type hitout?

He was matched up against Hudson, and accounted for him very well in the air, plus way more dominant on the ground than his opponent - although that's not hard because it's Hudson. But was very impressed with the big "Max Factor's" second and third efforts. Caught a few onballers off guard and tackled them to the ground much to the delight of Bailey, Viney, BP & Co grandstand side of the ground, as well as the Casey coaching staff.

Is this the first game Scully and Gawn have played together? Already seem to have a great understanding between them.

3 late goals and it's Willy by 17 at 3/4 time

Pretty sure it is - other than intra club hitouts.

Great day for footy, not really a breath of wind, quite still overall in amongst plenty of gum trees. Fair crowd considering it was in Werribee and not Williamstown. I thought the Melbourne players of particular interest were influential at times, although most faded in and out of the game. Strauss was very accountable with plenty of talk down back, Blease drifted in and out and started quite well along with Scully, getting the ball a fair bit. But most of all Max Gawn impressed me from my point of view. Whether tapping at centre bounces, his work around the ground and at ground level he shows a quick mind. His possessions found their target and did well on Hudson. Scully was the Scully I have seen, runs on top of the ground well, uses pace in bursts, kicking was ok without being elite and probably got rid of a few cobwebs and will be much better for the run.

Liked Cooks leads, they weren't honoured all of the time, seems to have a good understanding with Fev.

Wonaeamirri flashed in and out,hit a couple of targets inside 50 from midfield which was good, but other than that, handy and prominent on occassions. Easily pushed off the ball.

Howe took a few good grabs, couple of goals and liked what I saw in Davis. Strong body, who could be a handy defender for us. Read the play ok and marked his man well whilst calling back others with talk. McDonald was ok, played in the middle a little, took a few good contested marks around the ground, spoilt well on occassions. Even had a sledge or two for Hudson.

Casey's second quarter and lift in intensity was very good overall and came back well from 4 goals down at quarter time. Disappointing finish.

Could be a lot of changes next week if they want to make a big change.

Bailey has already flagged Tom McDonald and Max Gawn, (Please get rid of Newton and Warnock)

Also Trengove and Scully should come back in. Wonna,Bartram?, Davey & Dunn all possibilities also. In fact Strauss & Blease by all reports could be worth a chance!

I say

In:

Gawn, McDonald, Scully, Trengove, Wonna, Davey, Blease, Strauss

Out:

Warnock, Newton, Bate, Evans (unlucky), Bennell, MacDonald, Nicholson(unlucky), Petterd

Swing the axe I say!! Make a stance!!

Could be a lot of changes next week if they want to make a big change.

Bailey has already flagged Tom McDonald and Max Gawn, (Please get rid of Newton and Warnock)

Also Trengove and Scully should come back in. Wonna,Bartram?, Davey & Dunn all possibilities also. In fact Strauss & Blease by all reports could be worth a chance!

I say

In:

Gawn, McDonald, Scully, Trengove, Wonna, Davey, Blease, Strauss

Out:

Warnock, Newton, Bate, Evans (unlucky), Bennell, MacDonald, Nicholson(unlucky), Petterd

Swing the axe I say!! Make a stance!!

We are not going to make 8 changes. Doubt we will make more than 4.What have Wonna and Davey done to deserve reprieve?

2 questions id like answered please.

Does Scully look like he can come back into the seniors or does he need another run for Casey?

Has Gawn put some muscle on him. I admit I dont go to casey games so I havent seen him since he was drafted and very skinny. Coul he go up aagianst Hille, Bellchambers and Ryder next week?

I didn't see Scully after 3/4 time, think he may have been rested in the last. Could possibly come back in but will take a couple of weeks to get full fitness and touch. Up to the footy dept to decide if an underdone Scully is better than other options. Personally I'd like to see him play, maybe sub him off at 3/4 time if we still have the option.

Gawn may not look it but he's very strong imo. Held his ground well at boundary throw ins and around the ground ball ups against Hudson. His body work was excellent and I thought he won the ruck duel although Hudson was good around the ground. Some sublime tap work to hit Scully on the [censored] at full pace on several occasions was the most exciting thing for me today. Is this the first time these two have played together or did they team up as juniors. Just curious because they seem to work very well together already. They'll be an awesome combo down the track. Gawns skills and coordination are miles ahead of Spencer.

Howe was excellent today. He's runs, chases, takes a good grab and hits the scoreboard. Thought he might be a flashy type from his youtube vids after he was drafted but he worked hard all day and was one of Caseys better players. Blease played well, took the game on at every opportunity and seems to be moving freely. Beautiful chase down of Djerrkura in the third and some blistering runs, the kid is very quick. His kicking was off early but improved as the game went on. I don't know if 3 debutantes is too much in 1 week but I'd much rather lose getting games into Gawn, Howe and Blease than Bate, Newton or Macdonald.

Tom McDonald could surprise for a game before long. I'd prefer him to Warnock to be honest. His hands are excellent and he looked pretty composed under pressure at VFL level anyway. Solid kick, looks a player imo. Davis was good too. For a kid with a limited preperation he competed hard and did some really good things.

Thanks all for the encouraging reports.

Hopefully Gawn, Howe, Blease and Scully get a run sooner rather than later.

My concern is though, that match committees can 'over think' things and make funny decisions when under pressure. Just like they did to produce last nights debarle.

Hopefully they don't think that the bright lights of another Friday night game, an up and coming in form opponent, should deter them from playing players who have EARNED a spot. Rather than a those with a bit more experience.

I think we should go ALL OUT ATTACK, and at least let the world know what cards we are holding. Win, lose or draw.

Go Dees - Get well Jim

From what I saw Scully might need another week in the VFL, I don't think he played in the last quarter but I could be wrong. He started like a house on fire but seemed to run out of steam a bit and with a six day break it might be a bit too much to ask. Strauss, Gawn and Howe are the players for me that will push for selection. 2 really good games in a row for Howe will surely put him close.

My 2 cents worth for the players I went to see.

Gawn - Get the man in the side. Made Hudson looked third or fourth rate.

Scully - Could have played with one arm and still dominate.

Blease - Was good, did a few nice things.

Wonna - In and out of the game. Not really that happy to be honest.

Strauss - Very very happy. Strong and good with the ball (unlike Warnock or McDonald). Ended up marking Huson a few times in the backline when they did a switch. gave away 4 inches but dead set towelled him up, even overhead.

McNamara - not VFL level

Howe - Was good and definitely in the mix, not great entry into our forward line for half the game didn't help his cause.

Edited by ucanchoose