Dean Bailey on Before the Game tonight

dees189227

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As completely left-field as this answer may be are you suggesting you are more informed on the issue than the coach himself?

I subscribe to Mick Malthouse's theory. He doesn't believe in making out of form, or low on confidence players the sub as it only excerbates their mindset. I'd rather they play a game at Casey than sit as the twenty second player in a green top.

In a nutshell there are two main reasons: getting a player back into form won't be helped by sitting on the bench for 3 quarters; and you want your sub to give you something when they come on, and an out of form player is less likely to provide that momentum.

Edited by Hannabal

Yes.

Please elaborate, the instruction manual on the sub rule is not yet written as it is only 5 weeks old. Let's put it through a couple of septembers before we make any concrete decisions.

Watts played a pretty good last Q last week so it may be a good move.

Direct yourself ...

EDIT: I'll be charitable on Easter Sunday. Post #27 on this thread.

Thankyou, i found it.. B) That is not a rule, that is Malthouse's opinion after 4 games. It is a valid one granted, but i will wait for a final series before i make a strong call on the sub rule.

All the coaches are still working it out.

Paul Roos is an obvious "leader of Men" Dean is a very nice guy... Agreed.. But Rithless ??? Not enough !! Please Dean... Prove me wrong.. I will be the first to embrace you and bow to you ...

Oops before the Sarcastic ones on the site jump on me .... I meant rUthless of course..

To everyone criticising his nice guy persona, Bomber Thompson didn't have a stare down, and was normally very calm and laid back. To say you need to be a hard arse these day to win football is an utter joke.

You obviously have not had much to do with Bomber Thompson.. He is definitely a Hard Nut.. Not laid back, as he looked in the Coach's box in front of all those cameras..Ask a couple of Geelong players who served under him..

You can edit pig...bottom right hand corner.

You are one of those that may have been writing posts for a long time and calling me "pig" does nothing to increase the respect for this site among fellow supporters of the club and anyone else who may like the site. You of all people one would think, should have more intelligence.. It was too late to edit. I will repeat as I said on a very early reply to a previous "established" Demonland Member.... Sarcasm, is and is well known, to be the "Wit of fools"" How true that is.. !!! Respect needs to be earned being a smart a..se doesn't earn it.. !! And I care little how much respect you have on Demonland.. It means little outside the site..!!!

You are one of those that may have been writing posts for a long time and calling me "pig" does nothing to increase the respect for this site among fellow supporters of the club and anyone else who may like the site. You of all people one would think, should have more intelligence.. It was too late to edit. I will repeat as I said on a very early reply to a previous "established" Demonland Member.... Sarcasm, is and is well known, to be the "Wit of fools"" How true that is.. !!! Respect needs to be earned being a smart a..se doesn't earn it.. !! And I care little how much respect you have on Demonland.. It means little outside the site..!!!

Excuse me??? Your name on here is Pig....is it not (a name you chose yourself?? Yes

I was actually trying to be helpful to you so you didn't double up on posts. I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

I know well the "wit of fools". For someone with 30 odd posts you are certainly trying to rub people up the wrong way....

I was trying to be helpful.

All the coaches are still working it out.

I strongly doubt that. There are 3 coaches I am aware that have stated their position clearly on the sub. Other coaches may well have a similar firm belief. I have not heard a coach state that the sub is the 22nd player in your team.This is a position that the media and many spectators have jumped to without the forethought ot analysis that every FD has done.

Both Chris Scott and Brett Ratten have emphatically atated that the sub is not the 22nd best player in your team but a player who is specifically selected in that role to make an impact in that specfic game. Chris Scott did not believe an out of form player was benefited by spending time on the pine as a sub.

Both Chris Scott and Brett Ratten have emphatically atated that the sub is not the 22nd best player in your team

maybe they will be proved right but do we ay that Bailey and co are wrong? JW looked pretty hungry to get stuck in and prove a point which is what he may have needed, but it is still too early to make a rock solid view. In mid winter in the rain and wind, and also during finals strategies may change. We are only at round 5. the only thing we do no for sure is that it is a radical change.

...... but it is still too early to make a rock solid view. In mid winter in the rain and wind, and also during finals strategies may change. We are only at round 5. the only thing we do no for sure is that it is a radical change.

Only for mug supporters.

Coaches seem to havea very clear and thoughtful view on what the sub is and how to use it. This is clearly alot more informed than the layman spectator. Your assumption on what all AFL coaches is naive and based on your own uncertainties.

Only for mug supporters.

Coaches seem to havea very clear and thoughtful view on what the sub is and how to use it. This is clearly alot more informed than the layman spectator. Your assumption on what all AFL coaches is naive and based on your own uncertainties.

but you have only mentioned 2, what about the other 15(16)??

All i am saying is the weather conditions will have a bearing on the sub, and we are yet to go through mid winter yet.

Not naive at all.

but you have only mentioned 2, what about the other 15(16)??

All i am saying is the weather conditions will have a bearing on the sub, and we are yet to go through mid winter yet.

Not naive at all.

Malthouse, C Scott and Ratten from the limited interviews I have heard from coaches have stated a definite and clear view on the sub. They and their FD associates have spent considerable time analysing the impact of the rule and formed a view. And in the case of Scott his view has been strengthen by the experience.

All you were saying was that "All the coaches are still working it out." That is clearly not the case. And the weather is only one factor in the consideration of the sub for each and every game. It does not change the methodology in place by a coach on how to use a sub just the implementation.

Malthouse, C Scott and Ratten from the limited interviews I have heard from coaches have stated a definite and clear view on the sub. They and their FD associates have spent considerable time analysing the impact of the rule and formed a view. And in the case of Scott his view has been strengthen by the experience.

All you were saying was that "All the coaches are still working it out." That is clearly not the case. And the weather is only one factor in the consideration of the sub for each and every game. It does not change the methodology in place by a coach on how to use a sub just the implementation.

Fair comment, and you could well be right, but the implementation of the sub could quite easily change depending on opponents, what ground each game is played, the weather conditions and a clubs weekly injury list.

the sub rule as i see it will be a transient decision week by week. I will wait till september to see how it is used in the finals.

Fair comment, and you could well be right, but the implementation of the sub could quite easily change depending on opponents, what ground each game is played, the weather conditions and a clubs weekly injury list.

the sub rule as i see it will be a transient decision week by week. I will wait till september to see how it is used in the finals.

That again is implementation based on the factors of each game. Each coach has said that the playher picked as the sub will depend on the circumstances. It does not impact the methodology used.