A win is not enough

Harrisonrules

You've been on fire lately, keep it up.

Thanks Champ....I realize how far we still have to climb, but at the same time can see that with players like Luke Tapscott-We will get there.

I am missing Jordie Mckenzie a lot though. I think he is to me what Matty Whelan was to you!!!! :lol:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm not sure where this attitude that we should belt the Lions comes from.

We've had one single year outside the bottom 4 since the rebuild.

There is no reason to overestimate our ability at this stage in a development year.

Yeah, I'm not sure where this attitude that we should belt the Lions comes from.

We've had one single year outside the bottom 4 since the rebuild.

There is no reason to overestimate our ability at this stage in a development year.

I agree. I'll take a win, and I'll be happy if we play well (regardless of how much we win by).

In the words of John McEnroe ... You cannot be serious.

I have very fond memories of this time last year. Brisbane undefeated, and me sitting in the stands with the other half of the family all Fitzbane supporters.. A night from heaven. I hope DB gets the replay and shows the boys how excited they were when the siren went, because I shouted and sang so loud I couldn't talk the next day !!!!!

Hell, I'll be happy if we play well & lose, as long as the players can take something away from the match.

At the risk of coining a very unpopular phrase around here this just stinks of "accepting mediocrity" :)

At the risk of coining a very unpopular phrase around here this just stinks of "accepting mediocrity" :)

That just shows you don't even understand the concept.

This is gold - literally three minutes ago I was thinking to myself that there's two very distinct groups on Demonland at the moment - one that thinks the other is accepting mediocrity, and the other thinks the first doesn't understand what's going on. Thanks for proving me right to myself :P

This is gold - literally three minutes ago I was thinking to myself that there's two very distinct groups on Demonland at the moment - one that thinks the other is accepting mediocrity, and the other thinks the first doesn't understand what's going on. Thanks for proving me right to myself :P

To some, winning is more important than losing, no matter whether we play well or not. To others, it's more important (at this stage) that we put in a good performance & play well, and whether we win or lose is less important.

Of course, what would make us all happy would be to win AND play well. But the sad truth is, that might not happen too many times this year, so we have to settle for either one or the other.

I'm sorry mate I was going to let your post slide but it's proven impossible. How on earth would anything but a win against a depleted club devoid of confidence on our home turf be a positive? If we play "well" and lose and your happy with that then then am I right in assuming you think that if all things were equal and both sides play well that Brisbane at the G are a better football side in 2011 than Melbourne?

Are we not allowed to expect a win? I think we are a better side (especially at the home)and anything less than win is not good enough.

Can you imagine for one second if our players had the same mindset as you?

We would never win a game. if near enough was good enough the great wall of China would have been a fence.

I know there are all sorts of Melbourne supporters on these boards, from the overly demanding to the overly accepting, but man alive you really need to start wanting some success! There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting a win tomorrow as I'm sure the players do, And there would be nothing wrong with being angry and disappointed if we loose because the players would be.

Saying you would be happy if we play well and lose tomorrow is the kind of attitude that we as a club need to shed. Do you think Collingwood would be saying the same if they got rolled by an undermanned Carlton but played "well"

Well, from the names that you conveniently omitted from that list I assume you believe the 'et al' to Black, Power and Rich are: Clark, Banfield, Rockliff, McGrath, Merrett, Adcock, Patfull, and Leuenberger...

We don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the Lions either...

I think that the equivalent 'Range Rover' at the Lions board scoffed at Watts, Gysberts, Bennell, Bail, Wonaeamirri, Martin, Batram, Tapscott, Strauss, Morton, Jones, Dunn, and Warnock in much the same manner as you...

I think we will win, but I am not going to say that we should win by ten goals when there are two bona fide stars of the game out there and they both play for the Lions...

My thoughts on your thoughts on my thoughts? Hmmm...

We will probably butt heads on most forum topics because our expectations of the team and the talent we have at our disposal seems to vary wildly.

I think we are capable of much more, even at this stage of our apparent 'development', whereas you seem to think things are going along swimmingly.

As someone said in an earlier thread, the truth probably lies somewhere in between these two divergent views.

With respect to tomorrow's game at our home ground, given that Black and Power are past their prime and given the fact that our young players have a significantly higher pedigree than theirs, I feel comfortable in saying that this "truth" is closer to my point of view.

No, this doesn't mean that we need to disrespect the opposition, but it should mean that we take to the field with confidence that we can win and win well.

Edited by Range Rover

My thoughts on your thoughts on my thoughts? Hmmm...

We will probably butt heads on most forum topics because our expectations of the team and the talent we have at our disposal seems to vary wildly.

I think we are capable of much more, even at this stage of our apparent 'development', whereas you seem to think things are going along swimmingly.

As someone said in an earlier thread, the truth probably lies somewhere in between these two divergent views.

With respect to tomorrow's game at our home ground, given that Black and Power are past their prime and given the fact that our young players have a significantly higher pedigree than theirs, I feel comfortable in saying that this "truth" is closer to my point of view.

No, this doesn't mean that we need to disrespect the opposition, but it should mean that we take to the field with confidence that we can win and win well.

That's a reasonable assertion, an expectation of player confidence is something I share with you.

I just don't believe we are at the stage where we can expect the outcome in the blase fashion some on here have.

Hell, I'll be happy if we play well & lose, as long as the players can take something away from the match.

Worst thing I've ever read here given the circumstances of today's game...

The lower you aim the less you will achieve, but aim for the moon and you might just reach the stars.

For me, it's all about what we want, not what we expect.

Circumstances? The circumstances are relatively meaningless.

The only circumstances that would matter, we as supporters are not privy to.

I don't think even you understand what you're saying here... But the circumstances are the club is under pressure today to bounce back after a poor effort last week, pretty sure there's been a hell of a lot of discussion about that here and in the media so don't see why we wouldn't be privy to that when it's been widely noted.

The lower you aim the less you will achieve, but aim for the moon and you might just reach the stars.

That metaphor is around the wrong way.

If you aim for the stars and get to the moon then, yay, you have got to the moon.

But you are still going to have the idiots in the back saying 'we didn't make it to ONE star, and it's all Bailey's fault!'

No, I do understand.

And, like the club, I understand that external pressures are largely irrelevant, compared with aiming to complete your internal objectives.

You don't know what roles certain players are being given, what injuries players may be carrying, what development goals we are aiming to meet over the course of the match.

Sometimes this game is about more than just winning games of football.

What if the Lions come out and play out of their skins, Black and Power play like days of yore and we get beaten by a small margin in a valiant effort?

I'm not interested in moral victories, but rather what our young kids could take from that.

The development value.

I expect and WANT our team to experience more thrashings like last week (not many though).

You underestimate what can be gleaned from such an experience by a kid, by anyone.

Some might say we were lucky to scrape away with a draw against the swans, and we were, but I liked the effort for the team to hang on and stay in the game when Sydney could have blown it open, and then to later surge back and almost win.

That shows development and coaching competency to me, albeit not in large amounts.

That metaphor is around the wrong way.

If you aim for the stars and get to the moon then, yay, you have got to the moon.

But you are still going to have the idiots in the back saying 'we didn't make it to ONE star, and it's all Bailey's fault!'

haha ta rpfc, was a lil foggy on which way around that went, but you get the idea!

sure we are developing, but the development won't get anywhere without everyone INCLUDING BAILEY being stretched

No, I do understand...

Sometimes this game is about more than just winning games of football...

I expect and WANT our team to experience more thrashings like last week (not many though)...

You underestimate what can be gleaned from such an experience by a kid, by anyone....

I'm paraphrasing your post here, but these things just really stood out. When is this game about more than winning? Why would we care if winning didn't matter? And you really think thrashings are good for us?

This is just a ridiculous attitude, and shows you have absolutely no understanding of football whatsoever. Despite what you may think and CONSTANTLY profess on this website you're not the indisputable football guru, and between this post and the one where you said you don't care if we win today, you have absolutely proven you are not even worth listening to.

haha ta rpfc, was a lil foggy on which way around that went, but you get the idea!

sure we are developing, but the development won't get anywhere without everyone INCLUDING BAILEY being stretched

Watch Part 2 of WW by Schwab to get an idea of how they assess performance.

It looks to me to be 'ceiling-less' with the important caveat that while we are developing wins and losses are less important than improved performance.

And before everyone jumps on that, Schwab stipulates that progress in those KPIs will inevitably lead to more wins.