The Stefan Martin Experience

jnrmac

Good game from Steff today. Took some good grabs and aside from a couple of wobbly kicks when the pressure was on I thought he really stood up today.

For a guy that hasn't played regularly in one spot I thought his support of Jamar was excellent.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really thought this blokes was gone last year despite his injuries. never looked like it to me. never..until today where he floated back took courageous marks, a half volley pick up at full pace early on was fantastic and some of his taps were simply fantastic.

played a game full of good little cameos. maybe just maybe he can help Jamar out who can get some respite. it helped us today.

Poor Spence, thought he was going to get a bit more of a run this year but Stef (now he's playing well) is just too versitle. I dont think we have another player who can play back, forward and ruck.

What I especially liked, is that we now have another target(other than Jamar), that we can bomb it too long around the ground who can either take a pack mark, or bring it down consistently.

It was probably the most confident I have seen him with the ball in his hands as well.

Yep he can take overhead marks, with opposition players getting tired a player like Martin was today can save matches, and or set up forward attacks.

He was great today, couple of times i thought Jeff White was back out on the 'G

Martin is the perfect 2nd ruck prototype in this sub-rule world we live in. He is flexible enough to play down back or up forward, he is agile enough to give you a contest in the middle (he actually outran some opponents today, and he's 2m tall!) and his ruck work is getting better. He had some fantastic tapouts in the last quarter today that actually results in us getting the ball up forward for a goal.

Nice to see him repay the faith. I've always been a fan.

Plus the better he plays the less likely we are to see Juice.

Thrilled by the Experience today. He's never going to be hitting 50m passes to targets but he was a great target himself today and only looked panicked a couple of times when he got it.

A man's gotta know his limitations...

Yep he can take overhead marks

The most impressive part of his game today. Improvement in his marking. Very good game.

Still one swallow blah blah but if he can regularly hang onto those marks, he'll be valuable with these new rules.

Everyone says that he is versatile, which with his athletic ability, is sort of true. But surely to be able to play back or forward, your footskills must be to an AFL level. We need him to improve by 40% in that area for him to be a really good 2nd ruckmen/ versatile tall.

Saying that great game today Stef and im sure those improvements will come

Good game from the big fella. My favourite Martin. Looks a bit like he has been told never to kick unless absolutely neccessary, reminds me of Miller under Daniher. I reckon we might see a bit more of the Martin dish to Tap the tank

The new rules created a role that has his name written all over it - the versatile second ruck - and so far so good. Very pleased. It's easy to forget that in ~5 years this guy has had to be programmed from scratch and then re-programmed from scratch. A definite work in progress and on today's showing I'm pleased with the progress. Keep it up Stef.

Very happy with his performance today and actually somewhat surprised at how well he played. Wasn't convinced when I saw him in the starting line-up, but was happy to be proven wrong.

nearly the most awkward kicking style ever, other than pencil spencer obviously, but he killed it, id have him in my top 5 today

Am i right in thinking Martin was an elite basketballer and only started playing footy in his late teens? If so there is still heaps of upside for the Martian, partic. given big fellas always take time to make it (see Jamar). His kicking might improve which has to help

The new rules created a role that has his name written all over it - the versatile second ruck - and so far so good. Very pleased. It's easy to forget that in ~5 years this guy has had to be programmed from scratch and then re-programmed from scratch. A definite work in progress and on today's showing I'm pleased with the progress. Keep it up Stef.

Pleasantly surprised myself, took some terrific 1 grab marks today. Didnt he have some personal issues last year that may have held him back a bit?? Plenty of upside in this bloke.

Looks like we might of wasted our rookie promotion on Juice (u could argue we knew that before todays game!)

Am i right in thinking Martin was an elite basketballer and only started playing footy in his late teens? If so there is still heaps of upside for the Martian, partic. given big fellas always take time to make it (see Jamar). His kicking might improve which has to help

Yeah I think your right, I remember reading something about him not having much aussie rules experience when we drafted him in the pre season draft. Was deffinetly a basketballer not sure how good?

Anyway I thought he was great today. His first season in 09 was pretty impressive as a backman but today really showed his versatility and he may become a very handy player.

Yeah I think your right, I remember reading something about him not having much aussie rules experience when we drafted him in the pre season draft. Was deffinetly a basketballer not sure how good?

Anyway I thought he was great today. His first season in 09 was pretty impressive as a backman but today really showed his versatility and he may become a very handy player.

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I think he started having a kick with his high school's old boys (old Xavs maybe?), then played a season with Sandy before we got him. Didn't play until after he left high school.