Split with Casey?

Your sense of humour AND your excellent spelling precede you hill. Private school education ? Lighten up 'old chap', you obviously live in the area and are slightly defensive about it. We can't all live in the inner suburbs so good luck to you.

St John's College - Dandenong.

Had it's own little red brick road that was appealing but hardly private, no.

Me just spell good.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not add another $10-20 to each membership to pay for a reserve side- i would pay that right now.

Who wants an alliance when they don't work.

You old Dee accept 2nd Best and for me that aint good enough anymore.

We are only a poorer club because we the supporters let it happen.

TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLES...! B)

First best( in your terms )may be a luxury we cannot afford.

We have only just got out from under a big debt

It would be very easy to slip back.

And You can only go to the well so many times.

my fear is the cost of our own reserves team is a lot more than is being floated.

All I guess I am saying is that we will not have our own side in 2011 so lets get on with it.

In 2012 who knows and there are lots of problems in establishing our own team.

Probably the biggest one is that the AFL does not appear to want it to happen.

So we are again fighting the people who hold the purse strings.

Whatever you accuse me of please don't make it accepting second best.

I have experienced second, third and fourth best for 44 years

only finishing first matters.

The Scorpions can rot for all I care, if they think our players should risk their development and unnecessarily play through injury.

Touche.

But why should we risk our players if they are in need of surgery? That is not part of any deal.

2 years in a row, the MFC makes virtually NO players available for a final series for Casey. That's 15+ players! You are kidding me.

An affiliation/partnership it is not. If MFC wants to keep doing it, they had better get their own VFL team.

Touche.

2 years in a row, the MFC makes virtually NO players available for a final series for Casey. That's 15+ players! You are kidding me.

An affiliation/partnership it is not. If MFC wants to keep doing it, they had better get their own VFL team.

And How else are Casey Scorpians going to raise $250,000 +?? That's a lotta sausage sizzles my friend!!

If players need surgery after a long season of AFL-So be it.

First best( in your terms )may be a luxury we cannot afford.

We have only just got out from under a big debt

It would be very easy to slip back.

And You can only go to the well so many times.

my fear is the cost of our own reserves team is a lot more than is being floated.

All I guess I am saying is that we will not have our own side in 2011 so lets get on with it.

In 2012 who knows and there are lots of problems in establishing our own team.

Probably the biggest one is that the AFL does not appear to want it to happen.

So we are again fighting the people who hold the purse strings.

Whatever you accuse me of please don't make it accepting second best.

I have experienced second, third and fourth best for 44 years

only finishing first matters.

The AFL would not care as long as the MFC can pay the bills.

If we wish to become a power club, we will need to field our own Reserves side again soon, so as to have full control of our players

I am happy to pay an extra $20 to help make that happen....

And How else are Casey Scorpians going to raise $250,000 +?? That's a lotta sausage sizzles my friend!!

If players need surgery after a long season of AFL-So be it.

I probably should have said: "An affiliation/partnership it is not. If MFC wants to keep doing it, they had better get their own VFL team, or expect Casey (or whoever) to sign up the likes of Fev."

The AFL would not care as long as the MFC can pay the bills.

If we wish to become a power club, we will need to field our own Reserves side again soon, so as to have full control of our players

I am happy to pay an extra $20 to help make that happen....

I'll alow you to pay mine also.

Guest DeesPower

Is that $500K,,, last years figure with Rookies, as the cost may be going to increase???

Let me put my marketing hat on for a minute. In my view if we had a seniors and a reserves, and the reserves played out of Casey branded as a MFC/Demons teams both at Casey and the VFL, then I think the sponsorship of the club overall would be worth more. The Brand has a bigger footprint, and greater exposure. That extra brand power may well be worth more than the $250k additional expenses.

Further, if we recruited for the VFL team wisely, we may well get into the new national competition for second tier teams which would lead to greater media exposure for the MFC brand, and therefore more sponsorship dollars. And if we used the team as a nursery for emerging players AND a mentoring/playing vehicle for retiring MFC players, it would have added attractions for football followers as well as greater value to the brand.

Imagine watching our emerging players on our list run around with veterans like Robbo, Yze, Wheatley, Junior, PJ, TJ. In the main for a couple of years they would provide great football service to the reserves, but also be great mentors for the younger players from people who have a deep and abiding loyalty to the Demon jumper. It would also make the games a lot more interesting for demon fans as well as making our reserves more attractive as a media proposition.

Edited by DeesPower

Let me put my marketing hat on for a minute. In my view if we had a seniors and a reserves, and the reserves played out of Casey branded as a MFC/Demons teams both at Casey and the VFL, then I think the sponsorship of the club overall would be worth more. The Brand has a bigger footprint, and greater exposure. That extra brand power may well be worth more than the $250k additional expenses.

Further, if we recruited for the VFL team wisely, we may well get into the new national competition for second tier teams which would lead to greater media exposure for the MFC brand, and therefore more sponsorship dollars. And if we used the team as a nursery for emerging players AND a mentoring/playing vehicle for retiring MFC players, it would have added attractions for football followers as well as greater value to the brand.

Imagine watching our emerging players on our list run around with veterans like Robbo, Yze, Wheatley, Junior, PJ, TJ. In the main for a couple of years they would provide great football service to the reserves, but also be great mentors for the younger players from people who have a deep and abiding loyalty to the Demon jumper. It would also make the games a lot more interesting for demon fans as well as making our reserves more attractive as a media proposition.

Exactly....which is what it used to be. The Reserve grade team was a very important part of the club. All players on our list wore the same jumper.

We must strive to get that back.

I'm not sure many players who have been told their time in the senior side is up, would want to stick around and play for our side in the VFL.

It hasn't happened at Collingwood or Geelong.

The players move on to another stage in their life that doesn't necessarily include MFC.

I'm not sure many players who have been told their time in the senior side is up, would want to stick around and play for our side in the VFL.

The players move on to another stage in their life that doesn't necessarily include MFC.

Yes that point was a little fanciful-But the rest was spot on!!

You should put the above in your signature. Sigh. FFS

Fundamentally sad and oh so wrong. Footballers play principally because they like playing footy, which is a team game; be that team Casey or MFC or .... It is a team game; you play with and for your team mates.

In the 2010 VFL grand final, Corey Jones and Josh Smith both played knowing they had been delisted/retired; Chris Johnson also played probably aware he would be delisted, and Leigh Harding retired soon after. And there are others eg Steve Brown.

And you know that? For sure?

Sure they do. But they do so having played with dignity and respect for the team they have played for.

Guest DeesPower

I'm not talking about Geeling or Collingwood. I'm talking about the building of a unique Demon culture: so far Cameron Schwab and the Board have done a great job in creating a culture which is collaborate, inclusive and very close knit. We simply do not have the behavioral problems that others have because we get rid of trouble makers: Carrol, TJ, Buckley in order to preserve that culture. This is taking this to its next logical step, but which also adds value to our brand so we can afford the best of other things like sports medicine for instance.

What other club CEO would publicly admit he regrets the way his long standing Captain's retirement was handled.

I suggest none. We have a very strong and loyal ex player group many of whom are still plAying good football . All I'm suggesting is that to include them in our reserves side a couple for a couple of years after their delisting would make our reserves side stronger, more interesting for fans, great mentors for our youth, and add considerably to our culture, as well as making the overall brand more valuable. Geelong and Collingwood can do as they like - they are NOT the MFC thank God!

You should put the above in your signature. Sigh. FFS

Fundamentally sad and oh so wrong. Footballers play principally because they like playing footy, which is a team game; be that team Casey or MFC or .... It is a team game; you play with and for your team mates.

In the 2010 VFL grand final, Corey Jones and Josh Smith both played knowing they had been delisted/retired; Chris Johnson also played probably aware he would be delisted, and Leigh Harding retired soon after. And there are others eg Steve Brown.

Surely you're kidding!! Not too sharp, are you Mono?

What is sad about understanding the motivations and incentives that drive AFL footballers?

You clearly don't.

It is a team game, they want to play with their teammates, but they also want to be challenged & prove themselves against the best at the highest level.

How you don't understand that, I don't know.

Did Brad Miller stay at Casey after being dropped from our senior list..?

What do the examples you provided prove? That some players played out their contracts in the VFL?

So what? Those examples don't prove any point.

Unless you're keen to have Isaac Weetra and Jace Bode in our VFL side, you're clutching at straws.

Guys like Yze, Robertson and White wouldn't have stayed around.

No chance. Any that have any ambition generally move on immediately to experience another culture and atmosphere, as they understand it is beneficial to do so.

You don't seem to realise this.

(I actually get the feeling you have completely missed the point and are talking about playing out the remainder of a season.

I really wouldnt be surprised if you had, although I don't know how you could).

And you know that? For sure?

I'm afraid the burden of proof is upon you in this case.

O'bree left Collingwood for GC, as did Fraser. Not sure where Lockyer is, or Presti. Burns went to WC.

Egan got a coaching position at Geelong, which is very different.

Do you see Riccardi playing for Geelong's VFL side? King moved on to St Kilda.

Truth is, there is very little chance of any ex-player staying on to tread water in a VFL side, just making up the numbers as our kids develop.

Sure they do. But they do so having played with dignity and respect for the team they have played for.

And..? That last line is completely irrelevant.

It's not related to anything I was saying or anyone else.

I would happily pay a voluntary 'Red, Blue and Casey' membership surcharge to help fund a standalone VFL team. Geelong and Collingwood have done it. Hawthorn and Essendon have effectively done it. Richmond want to do it.The West Coast Eagles and Freo want to do it in the WAFL.

Its clear it is industry best practice when it comes to player development so its a no brainer for mine that we must achieve our own VFL team as soon as possible. The Fevola fiasco has perhaps just brought the issue in to sharper focus. If 10,000 members payed a voluntery surcharge of $30 then that would raise the additional $300,000 or so required to go it alone.

In an ideal scenario we would simply take over Casey. Of course that may not be so simple but it is hard to see a stand alone Casey team devoid of the $250,000 we contribute and the services of our players avoiding Frankston status or even dropping out of the VFL.

Would Casey City Council want to risk no Casey team in the VFL or a team performing like Frankston or would they prefer a well resourced Casey Demons developing the Dees young talent and the best young talent of the outer east and Gippsland. The Dees option is better for the Casey brand that they are seeking to promote and allows the best young local talent a chance at AFL level without moving out of the region.