Cale Morton - our forgotten future (potential) superstar

Ron Burgundy

On the bright side however, this time last year people were all about how soft he was and lacking in contested situations. Sadly he disproved the theory by taking a mark flying back into a pack and wrecking his knee, but disprove it he did. Now there are questions about his disposal and speed, and I would be thrilled to see him disprove them in the coming months, perhaps with slightly less damage to his body this time.

With all due respect I don't think they are questions, I think they are valid observations and they are made in isolation to other aspects of his game some other posters may have commented on in the past. I don't think anyone has said that he won't improve or that he hasn't had injury setbacks. It isn't about who's right or wrong or Morton proving posters wrong here - naturally we want every player to improve.

It is simply a case of outlining a key area for improvement, not baseless criticism or condemnation of the player. Just because these areas are in context (mine at least) of his physique or kicking style does not make these personal attacks either. All players need to have strong legs for balance, power, movement etc and this is quite significant in Cale's case because of his dimensions and clear lack of power in the bottom half to play the way he wants/needs to play.

I agree with your comments about how his marking has improved and even though he may have had tailored roles at times during season 2010 he still displays a very good football instinct and he has a good tank - he knows what he wants to do and he works to space well he just didn't cash in on it enough in season 2010 due to aforementioned limitations, consequently he may or may not have had altered roles because of this. Close in and under pressure IMO he was most susceptible though.

Whatever the causes ultimately are, the sypmtoms (to me at least) are obvious and if they can be addressed (and I have no reason to believe they can't be) he will add significantly more options to his game and be the player I think both he and the coach want him to be. Irrespective of injury, confidence etc he quite simply needs more leg strength to achieve this, especially if he is building up his upper half.

Edited by 1858

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being explosive is not all about power in the legs, it is something that is not easily attained.

Morton getting stronger in the legs will help, but, he will still not be like Adam Goodes in terms of explosive power.

Being explosive is not all about power in the legs, it is something that is not easily attained.

Morton getting stronger in the legs will help, but, he will still not be like Adam Goodes in terms of explosive power.

He won't be exactly the same, but you underestimate him.

He won't be exactly the same, but you underestimate him.

I was told at the club he is still growing. That may also have an effect.He looks as big as Watts is now-196 cms- if correct that is 4 cms taller than shown on MFC site.

Also agree-his upside is very important. Also his versatility to play in many positions is also a strong advantage.Definately one of the forgotten players along with--Bail,Blease,Gysberts, Jetta & Maric-whom both are training the house down,Martin, Strauss along with Tapscott.

We have many with tremendous upside- don't know how we can fit them all in. Tremendous List management capable of replacing any player in any position now.All fighting to become a member of the team.

Great one Dees. Go get them in 2011. However, back to the topic- I feel Morton is/has the most upside of all at this stage.Garland also will improve out of sight in 2011 -training the best he has ever been.Running is excellent.Will make a great winger.

I predict Morton will take over Bruces role.

I predict Morton will take over Bruces role.

He or Garland are my choices in taking over from Bruce. Both have the ability and flexibility. Morton will play a Tall Key positional role in the future-CHB or CHF IMO.

He isn't an never will be the same type of player as Goddard and or goods those two players are unique types of players who can almost play any role on the ground and play it well, mind u if cale reaches his potential he could be similar but IMO not quite as u universal. I agree with the original poster he is a bit forgotten about and there is no doubt the knee injury at vissy was much more serious than first thought and destroyed his season! He is a better prospect than most on our list right now because of his experience and time at the club he should produce his best footy sooner rather than later.

He isn't an never will be the same type of player as Goddard and or goods those two players are unique types of players who can almost play any role on the ground and play it well, mind u if cale reaches his potential he could be similar but IMO not quite as u universal. I agree with the original poster he is a bit forgotten about and there is no doubt the knee injury at vissy was much more serious than first thought and destroyed his season! He is a better prospect than most on our list right now because of his experience and time at the club he should produce his best footy sooner rather than later.

Trying to read this post hurts my brain.

I am one of the people who actually rate this bloke and come to his defence.

2010 was disappointing, but in a shizen team for two years prior to that he showed me enough to believe that he will (with a full pre-season) bounce back and become an integral part of our team going forward.

As posters have said, perhaps one of Mortons biggest strengths is his flexibility.

People are very quick to point out players' flaws or weaknesses but you show me a premiership team in the AFL where all 22 players had the perfect build, explosive power, precision skills, strength in the contest, goalkicking accuracy, gut running ability etc etc etc....You cannot.

Point being, a finals/premiership team is made up of 22 blokes (& about 8 other depth players) whose combined skills make it a formidable outfit. Don't be so ridiculous as to expect every player on the MFC list to possess elite level of 'every attribute'. It simply won't happen.

Cale has the potential to be a really damaging player as that swingman, as he has the unique ability to play as a forward, defender or running midfielder. It is in this HBF / Wing / HFF role i see him swinging and using his height, tank and decision making to carve teams up. The kids has played 2 good seasons and 1 ordinary season yet posters are quick to pull the trigger and condemn. Get a grip.

If he gets through summer not only injury free, but able to continue putting on size and core strength (which is the key) then he will be a regular in our best 22 this year...

I am one of the people who actually rate this bloke and come to his defence.

2010 was disappointing, but in a shizen team for two years prior to that he showed me enough to believe that he will (with a full pre-season) bounce back and become an integral part of our team going forward.

As posters have said, perhaps one of Mortons biggest strengths is his flexibility.

People are very quick to point out players' flaws or weaknesses but you show me a premiership team in the AFL where all 22 players had the perfect build, explosive power, precision skills, strength in the contest, goalkicking accuracy, gut running ability etc etc etc....You cannot.

Point being, a finals/premiership team is made up of 22 blokes (& about 8 other depth players) whose combined skills make it a formidable outfit. Don't be so ridiculous as to expect every player on the MFC list to possess elite level of 'every attribute'. It simply won't happen.

Cale has the potential to be a really damaging player as that swingman, as he has the unique ability to play as a forward, defender or running midfielder. It is in this HBF / Wing / HFF role i see him swinging and using his height, tank and decision making to carve teams up. The kids has played 2 good seasons and 1 ordinary season yet posters are quick to pull the trigger and condemn. Get a grip.

If he gets through summer not only injury free, but able to continue putting on size and core strength (which is the key) then he will be a regular in our best 22 this year...

Please don't get criticism, & not rating confused. We can rate someone on their potential, yet be critical &/or disappointed with them at the same time. It's not mutually exclusive. A push may help the kid to mature.

Please don't get criticism, & not rating confused. We can rate someone on their potential, yet be critical &/or disappointed with them at the same time. It's not mutually exclusive. A push may help the kid to mature.

Yes, but you can also be overly critical and have unrealisitic expectations.

Nothing wrong at all with wanting to see development and the kid being pushed along, but it also needs to be accepted that he will have some flaws in his game, just like almost every other player in the league. If he minimises how much these flaws hurt the team by self improvement and hard work, then he will be of great value to the team.....

Jeez, you'd hope so.

Gee ,if he does better than Bruce in this list-I will be wrapped.Don't forget Bruce, a life member at the Demons, was once the club's best player.

He has played 224 games and as recently as 2008 he won the best and fairest.

Bruce finished sixth in this year's club count.Fair effort for any player including Morton to aspire to IMO.

Gee ,if he does better than Bruce in this list-I will be wrapped.Don't forget Bruce, a life member at the Demons, was once the club's best player.

He has played 224 games and as recently as 2008 he won the best and fairest.

Bruce finished sixth in this year's club count.Fair effort for any player including Morton to aspire to IMO.

Was undeniably in the top 5-6 players of the last decade, Morton has a huge amount to do to go anywhere near that contribution

Bruce played in a different era and I dare say he wouldn't get the same accolades with what is required of players today.

But this is not a Bruce argument.

Morton I simply see as being better because he does not avoid physical contact in the same way.

Yes, but you can also be overly critical and have unrealisitic expectations.

Nothing wrong at all with wanting to see development and the kid being pushed along, but it also needs to be accepted that he will have some flaws in his game, just like almost every other player in the league. If he minimises how much these flaws hurt the team by self improvement and hard work, then he will be of great value to the team.....

Totally. I couldn't agree more. I think he'll be a good footballer, how good? But one thing I can't stand to see from Melbourne players is not going when it's their turn. I hope Morton does Not end up like that.

I think that these forums are very hard to read in the absence of body language & sound, to be able to interpret the posters intentions. So I wonder if many readers add in their own bits to fill in the blanks.

So much seems to be misunderstood,,, resulting in terse responses, that grow a culture of anger, & distrust.