Tom Scully and GWS

e25

So Pick 10 and 19?

That is getting there but hardly adequate for losing a #1 or #2 pick should it come about.

It depends what year you use them of course. The pick after our pick will hopefully keep getting later, the pick before the finalist will come back to pick 11 in 2012 assuming a final 8. Geelong traded one or other of these to GC for pick 15 this year - I think it was the BEFORE the finalists one.

BTW I had the description wrong about the finalist pick - it's BEFORE the finalists - I fixed it.

Edited by old55

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The highest level of compensation is Band 1 which is what Geelong got for Ablett. There isn't anything higher. I agree it wouldn't be sufficient compensation for Scully or Trengove but that's what it is ...

Band 1: 1st round pick after finalists (i.e. mid first round) + 1st round pick immediately after your 1st round pick [for Ablett]

Band 2: 1st round pick immediately after your 1st round pick [no GC players got this]

Band 3: Pick end of 1st round [for Bock, Harbrow, Brown, Rischitelli]

Band 4: Pick end of 2nd round [for Krakoeur]

Band 5: Pick end of 3rd round

Surely not...

I thought there were provisions for a "start of # round pick", an "after # round pick" (directly after your normal pick) and an "end of # round pick".

I'm not exactly sure where the mid-1st round pick came from that went to Geelong for Ablett.

Devious bloody AFL, drip-feeding us conflicting misinformation until no one is certain anymore...

Of course there's always the panel including Shifter Sheehan, that oversees compensation to ensure there are no abnormally unfair arrangements.

I know it seems like an oxymoron, but surely Scully at the end of 2011 is worth a lot more than Ablett at the end of 2010..?

Edited by e25

Of course there's always the panel including Shifter Sheehan, that overseas compensation to ensure there are no abnormally unfair arrangements.

I know it seems like an oxymoron, but surely Scully at the end of 2011 is worth a lot more than Ablett at the end of 2010..?

Prepare to be outraged if Scully or Trengove go to GWS.

(Prepare to wake up if either go to Richmond - it's only a bad dream)

With those picks that means we won the premiership the previous year, if that helps.

That pick 19 would be after the first round. Old55 fixed it after my comment.

So before the '8' and after our 1st round pick...

That would be Pick 10 and (if we finish 7th) Pick 13.

So we would have 10, 12 and 13.

Still not good enough.

Prepare to be outraged if Scully or Trengove go to GWS.

(Prepare to wake up if either go to Richmond - it's only a bad dream)

It cant even see it being a bad dream - I can see unregistered players getting to Richmond but so far I havent seen anyway that a "Scully" can get to Richmond unless we trade him to Richmond because he wants out( yeah... right...) - So I will ask again - is there anyway unless we agree that a "Scully" can get to Richmond in 2012 ( except the situation where he nominates for the draft and every pick before Richmond passes...yeah ....right...)

Edited by nutbean

Guest Thomo

Reading hangon007 posts over the past 12 months, I'm starting to think that he must get a dollar everytime he uses "Quotation marks", can't seem to think of any other reason.

It cant even see it being a bad dream - I can see unregistered players getting to Richmond but so far I havent seen anyway that a "Scully" can get to Richmond unless we trade him to Richmond because he wants out( yeah... right...) - So I will ask again - is there anyway unless we agree that a "Scully" can get to Richmond in 2012 ( except the situation where he nominates for the draft and every pick before Richmond passes...yeah ....right...)

I agree - I already asked that but got a cryptic bullsh1t reply.

Here's two improbable ways it COULD happen:

1. Richmond finish last and get pick 4, they trade their end of first round pick to GWS for pick 300 and in return GWS agree not to take Scully. This only works if Richmond finish last.

2. Even worse for GWS, Richmond don't finish last and trade their first rounder say 6 (like this year) and their end of 1st rounder to GWS for pick 3. GWS again don't pick Scully in their first 2 picks.

Both completely far fetched - GWS would simply pick Scully, he's far more value than either of those two alternatives.

Then there's the question of why would Scully go to Richmond ahead of GWS who could pay him twice as much or more than Richmond or MFC. It must be because he barracked for them I guess.

It's not surprising that H007 is too embarrassed to make these suggestions for real ...

Ugh.

And this sentence makes no sense (suprise...).

Literally incongruent. Scully staying is a point of fact, and his character can be the reason for that but it does not mean that others believing Scully won't go is wrongheaded or nonchalant.

We are all dumber because of your nonsense in this thread, H7.

Great pick up-Prof from Canberra.

1. Richmond finish last and get pick 4, they trade their end of first round pick to GWS for pick 300 and in return GWS agree not to take Scully. This only works if Richmond finish last.

2. Even worse for GWS, Richmond don't finish last and trade their first rounder say 6 (like this year) and their end of 1st rounder to GWS for pick 3. GWS again don't pick Scully in their first 2 picks.

Both completely far fetched - GWS would simply pick Scully, he's far more value than either of those two alternatives.

Then there's the question of why would Scully go to Richmond ahead of GWS who could pay him twice as much or more than Richmond or MFC. It must be because he barracked for them I guess.

It's not surprising that H007 is too embarrassed to make these suggestions for real ...

So the only way Scully can get to Richmond is

1 /by trading into a position with GWS that they wont take him and Richmond are the next live pick. So not only would Richmond have to pay Scully a fortune at Richmond , but also make an extraordinary offer to GWS for them not to take him.

2/ MFC conceding he will leave and wanting to get something back for him and Richmond giving us the best offer

Ummm...I'm thinking no and no

Edited by nutbean

I'm not sure the AFL would allow this. It seems clearly out of the spirit of trading. I'm pretty sure the only "commodities" you can trade are picks and players. :unsure:

but we all know that for new franchisees the rules can be "flexible" :wacko:

I'm one of those who are concerned that he'll be taken by another side (as I have been since he was first drafted). But thinking about it, Scully is supposed to be one of the most fanatic AFL players out there - a premiership has been his dream since he was at auskick age. He MAY see that as more important than doubling his salary (yeah right, would any of you guys?). Besides, GC and GWS will be very good sides by their third or fourth years - our future nemesis sides - so their may be a lure there as well.

That aside, the fact that the club are yet to sign him should be a big concern - they have obviously been trying to do so for a while now (ever since they convinced Trengove to extend his contract to three years, anyone??), but so far, no dice. Then there's the fact that GWS are talking to him/his management. Yet he is still to sign.

Management are supposed to be practical. Yes, they do go for the best deal, but they are also aware of the risks of holding out to sign. What if he does a knee before the season's end? What does that do to his value?

No, it should be obvious to us all. If he hasn't signed by round one, he's already decided to leave. The GC experience should have taught us all how it will go.

Just my opinion!! Calm down (in advance).

I'm not sure the AFL would allow this. It seems clearly out of the spirit of trading. I'm pretty sure the only "commodities" you can trade are picks and players. :unsure:

but we all know that for new franchisees the rules can be "flexible" :wacko:

Jade Rawlings trade?

Was it Veale?

I'm one of those who are concerned that he'll be taken by another side (as I have been since he was first drafted). But thinking about it, Scully is supposed to be one of the most fanatic AFL players out there - a premiership has been his dream since he was at auskick age. He MAY see that as more important than doubling his salary (yeah right, would any of you guys?). Besides, GC and GWS will be very good sides by their third or fourth years - our future nemesis sides - so their may be a lure there as well.

That aside, the fact that the club are yet to sign him should be a big concern - they have obviously been trying to do so for a while now (ever since they convinced Trengove to extend his contract to three years, anyone??), but so far, no dice. Then there's the fact that GWS are talking to him/his management. Yet he is still to sign.

Management are supposed to be practical. Yes, they do go for the best deal, but they are also aware of the risks of holding out to sign. What if he does a knee before the season's end? What does that do to his value?

No, it should be obvious to us all. If he hasn't signed by round one, he's already decided to leave. The GC experience should have taught us all how it will go.

Just my opinion!! Calm down (in advance).

MFCSS

I don't think it should be obvious at all. If I was the manager of Scully I would certainly be advising NOT to sign by round one.

What is obvious is his star is rising and his worth at seasons end with a year of visible progression would be far more than if he signs before round one. I don't think it makes it obvious he is leaving. I think it is obvious he is looking to get a better contract at seasons end ( and that is more than hopefully for MFC).

If it is obvious that Scully has decided to leave if he hasnt signed before round one why wasnt it obvious that Jack Watts was also leaving at the end of last season because of his tardiness in not signing earlier ?

Edited by nutbean