The Whipping Boy

satyricon

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping like hell it's not the case next year, but it will be the last year of his current contract (the extension year). And if or when we lose some important games, Dean Bailey springs to mind. It can't always be the players, can it ?

I expect we will still be ripping into Cameron the Bruce for the next 12 months

We already have a seperate thread for that atm.

I'm hoping like hell it's not the case next year, but it will be the last year of his current contract (the extension year). And if or when we lose some important games, Dean Bailey springs to mind. It can't always be the players, can it ?

Correct. Especially those hard task masters that claim there are no excuses this year. Ewwww it could get tough indeed.

The players who get whipped the most are the ones who are inconsistent or seem to keep getting games regardless of form. Hopefully this year with a good spread of depth and without an established best 22 as such that players either find a level or consistency or find themselves out of the side.

I've never found much join whipping players like Newton or Bartram for his kicking. Rivers is an interesting case because he seems to have days when he is on and days when he's not so great. Sometimes I get into Bate, other times I just realise he's slow, he can't pick it up below his knees and he can't see targets unless that are 60m away on his left or are big white sticks.

Overall I hope the team can find some improvement and have regular wins, that way no one has to suffer our wrath!

If we don't push for a top 8 spot I think you will find Dean Bailey to be the whipping boy.

I have been outspoken about my lack of love for Newton, but deep down I love all of the players that pull the jumper on. I only ride Newton because I think he is capable of being a solid player. What annoys me is that he has not been able to showcase his skills at the top level.

I think as the club moves forward there will be more player love than hate. We seem to be cheery when we are winning.

If we aren't placed 11th or higher (around the bottom half of the 8 or just outside) on the ladder for the majority of the season, Dean Bailey.

I think whoever fills the much-discussed 2nd ruck/forward possie will continue to cop it- Robbie Campbell, if he plays and doesn't return to pre-2009 form or learn how to take a grab inside 50, Martin, Spencer, perhaps Newton- I feel will all be critised at some point in the season for not being able to provide a scoring target while resting up forward.

Jack Watts will also be under greater scrutiny to deliver, if not from Melbourne supporters, then from the wider football community.

Sylvia once upon a time had been one of the 'whipping boys', not because he was a dud but because he had the talent and it we weren't seeing it on a weekly basis.

Morton, Bate and Watts are all in a similar boat. We know what they are capable of, but we just want to see them reach their potential overnight. Unfortunately that just doesn't happen and in the mean time we'll wait, impatiently albeit, until they do hopefully become a more than solid contributor at AFL level.

No mention of Juice....

For me Bate and Morton will be the whipping boys. However I did get stuck into Sylvia early last year until I knew he had a infected big toe.

James Strauss will be whipped more often than not aswell I think.

Overall I hope the team can find some improvement and have regular wins, that way no one has to suffer our wrath!

My sentiments exactly, it is December & i refuse to rip into players at this time of year. Let me wait till March!!

No mention of Juice....

For me Bate and Morton will be the whipping boys. However I did get stuck into Sylvia early last year until I knew he had a infected big toe.

James Strauss will be whipped more often than not aswell I think.

Juice is a rookie and should will play all year at Casey

I wonder if we lose round 1 again if all the Chicken Littles will rear thier heads again and call for the beheading of the coach etc.

I wonder if we lose round 1 again if all the Chicken Littles will rear thier heads again and call for the beheading of the coach etc.

I certainly will. The manner of that loss was totally unacceptable. Bailey managed to turn it around and more credit to him but if they put up that sort of effort in round 1 again next year he can expect to cop some flak. Expectations are much higher now, and rightly so.

Losing is one thing, hoisting the white flag and being bullied by upstarts like Hawthorn is another.

I think that once again, the majority of supporters' expectations will be out of touch with reality.

We've lost a lot of experience and the list is very young.

If we get the same result in 2011 that we got in 2010, or better, it will be a pass.

People just love to get ahead of themselves...

I certainly will. The manner of that loss was totally unacceptable. Bailey managed to turn it around and more credit to him but if they put up that sort of effort in round 1 again next year he can expect to cop some flak. Expectations are much higher now, and rightly so.

Losing is one thing, hoisting the white flag and being bullied by upstarts like Hawthorn is another.

OK I will mark you down as one who will call for the sacking of the coach after a single loss.

At least you have the gumption to admit it.

And yes the loss was unacceptable.

OK I will mark you down as one who will call for the sacking of the coach after a single loss.

At least you have the gumption to admit it.

And yes the loss was unacceptable.

Sacking is taking it a bit far but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to fire up the blowtoch a bit.

I wasn't a Bailey fan at first I admit but I'm slowly becoming a believer.

I think there's merit in the argument that the media heat generated after our round one effort last year was a real spur to both coach and players from then on.

Edited by Range Rover

From previous times I would say Rivers and Morton cop the most. IMO harsh at times, especially Rivers who I rate and really hope he can have a big year. I think Jones may need to show a bit this year, or he could drop into this catagory. Especially if others continue to improve, and competition for midfield spots gets tuff.

Complete and utter rubbish.

No it isnt. Maric has shown little to date.

However I did get stuck into Sylvia early last year until I knew he had a infected big toe.

I trust that was before he kicked 5 against the Tigers in Rd 4.

My sentiments exactly, it is December & i refuse to rip into players at this time of year. Let me wait till March!!

Part of 4 of the same issue.

Clearly that was the coaches strategy to do that on the day. :rolleyes:

I think there's merit in the argument that the media heat generated after our round one effort last year was a real spur to both coach and players from then on.

I think the spur was for the players mainly. It was the same game plan in Rd 1 as it was for the rest of the season. The difference in the players was significant in the following rounds.