Welcome to Demonland ... ROBERT CAMPBELL

Nasher

With the interchange changes maybe a few more teams might like playing 2nd ruck up forward. He could then play as a defender on them. Wouldn't be a definite for each game but could work out well depending on match ups.

I'd prefer to play Stef Martin in the backline ahead of Robbie Campbell.

Robbie plays as #1 ruck, or he doesn't play at all. All this "but he can play back" talk is non-sense IMO. We have a very settled backline and he would be at least 6th or 7th in line for a tall defender spot, so no need to play Robbie there just so that we can have 2 rucks in the side. And to be honest, he wasn't great as a KP back at Hawthorn anyway. He made his name as a full-time ruckman, and that's what he's good for. What we really needed was a ruckman who can play forward! Robbie is not that.

Whether Jamar can make the transition from full-time #1 ruck to mostly full-time forward/2nd ruck, will determine the amount of games Campbell plays for us. Campbell allows us the opportunity to try Jamar forward more, but Jamar has just come good as a ruckman and at this stage i'd prefer to see him play on-ball mostly. Campbell is not a forward option, and is behind Martin as a key defender / 'backline' ruckman.

Having said all this, if the FD think they can make a Jamar/Campbell duo work in footy's current climate, i respect that and hope they can prove me wrong. But just my 2 cents, i'm not sure it'll work.

Edited by Doggo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can afford to get some mature guys into our laying group and I believe Robert will be great for the youngsters.

Absolutely .. he was obviously both well-respected and well-liked at Hawthorn, and subsequently at Box Hill. Great choice by the FD, leadership and experience PLUS a more-than-useful premiership ruckman, all in one deft move.

Hope his knee holds up. Seems like it's a long-term injury, but one he believes he can manage. Played the last bit of the season at Box Hill, but whether he can get through an entire season at the highest level remains to be seen I guess. Fingers crossed.

It isnt hard for a ruckman to fill the hole in the backline. Stand 30 metres out, and get back to defend the long ball, and just clog space when the ball is 80m out. Quite simple, really.

More common back in the 90's early 2000's, but hasn't been used much in the AFL in recent times. The problem with playing a ruckman behind the play and filling the defensive hole is that they can be quite easy to work off of; teams no longer bomb it long like they used to and ruckman generally aren't great at defending forwards on the lead; and it also allows a loose player for the opposition up the other end. Now this wouldn't be a problem if every club was using their ruckman to fill the hole, but when you've got Campbell filling the hole at our defensive end and the opposition are filling the hole at the other end with attacking 'loose' players like Hodge, Goddard/Sam Gilbert or Heath Shaw/Maxwell, etc, it's easy to know who's loose man is going to win out and have more influence on the game.

Not as simple as it seems...

Edited by Doggo

We have an All-Australian ruckman and some want to turn him into a FP in lieu of a VFL ruckman?

Get real.

He will be in the running to play the backup/FP role like Spencer and Martin and good luck to him.

He is the same height as PJ but at unlike Paul - he is aware of his height.

It could work - all he has to do is attract the ball and bring it to ground.

We have an All-Australian ruckman and some want to turn him into a FP in lieu of a VFL ruckman?

Get real.

He will be in the running to play the backup/FP role like Spencer and Martin and good luck to him.

He is the same height as PJ but at unlike Paul - he is aware of his height.

Don't know who said that. I just think Campbell is better suited to playing #1 ruck than he would be playing that FP/2nd ruck position. Problem is he's been no good up forward- 26 goals from 116 games. Yes he's a better mark and more physical than PJ, but he has shown little to no ability to play forward at Hawthorn, so what makes us think he can play that backup ruck/forward role now? Replacing PJ with a PJ equivalent (as a forward), really.

Jamar has shown a real ability to take contested marks up forward. I prefer him in the ruck where he is excellent, but if we're going to play them both, i know i'd prefer Jamar up forward to Campbell. Robbing Peter to pay Paul perhaps, but Campbell does represent an upgrade on PJ in terms of rucking ability.

I remember Jack Dyer's quote "Big Blokes don't get shorter in the last Quarter" i can see a lot of Big Blokes being sent down the defensive end of the ground to "rest". This rule will bring back some old tactics, which is not a bad thing.

I am actually looking forward to the new rule to see how clubs use it.

Haha! In Jack Dyers day they had 4 rucks to a team and no interchange. Ruck Rovers as we know them really only came in Barass's time

So couldn't rest them all in one place, and rest they did then - not as fit

Mind you they didn't have 200cm rucks either. Many got away with it at 6'

Robbie Campbel is insurance in case Jamar goes down with injury. Full stop.

He will not be playing afl next year if Jamar plays 22 games, and that would be ideale.

If Jamar goes down, and we are forced to play Stefan Martin or Dunn in the ruck, who'd get killed, we'd lose matches bc of it, and it would stuff up how our midfield operates. That's why a competant mature age ruckman is an important back up.

To me it was very obvious we were going to take a mature age ruckman, and I have no problem with taking Robbie Campbell.

The fact he's a quality person with leadership skills is obviously an extra bonus. In fact I noticed Prendergast consistently emphasise outstanding character traits with regard to many of our draftees, it is clearly an important aspect of drafting

Robbie Campbel is insurance in case Jamar goes down with injury. Full stop.

He will not be playing afl next year if Jamar plays 22 games, and that would be ideale.

If Jamar goes down, and we are forced to play Stefan Martin or Dunn in the ruck, who'd get killed, we'd lose matches bc of it, and it would stuff up how our midfield operates. That's why a competant mature age ruckman is an important back up.

To me it was very obvious we were going to take a mature age ruckman, and I have no problem with taking Robbie Campbell.

The fact he's a quality person with leadership skills is obviously an extra bonus. In fact I noticed Prendergast consistently emphasise outstanding character traits with regard to many of our draftees, it is clearly an important aspect of drafting

OK then, thats feasible

So who do you play 2ndRuck/Fwd (assuming Jamar should rest in Fwd line)?

I'm not againat this deicsion, but if someone had thrown his name up over the last few weeks they would have been shot down and ridiculed. He gets selected and it's an inspired move. I had just got used to the idea of throwing Spencer/Gawn/Fitzy/Martin to the wolves with PJ gone. I hope his knees hold up.

I agree, I'm rapt that we did this, & also thought of S King, but he retired, and would have only, probably, been good for one year, where Campbell will give us at least 2 years of support & tuition. A good move.

If fit will be a much better back up than PJ ever was.

In answer to whether or not he can play a key position, No. Has been tried up forward for not much luck, and was shocking when used at CHB when the Hawks lost pretty much all of their defence to injury.

I was just thinking, is it possible that as a leader, and as an experienced ruckman who knows what it takes, it may have been a move to enhance the learning curve of the youngsters coming through? I think PJ would likely have been ok to retain despite his form drop in the last 2 years, but it's a sad fact that as a mentor and leader he offered nothing.

The likelihood is that, if injury doesn't strike, Neither PJ or Campbell would ever play much, as they'd stick with the other names... So it may actually end up a situation where we actually get something from him, despite him not playing any games.

I'd prefer to play Stef Martin in the backline ahead of Robbie Campbell.

Not really what I meant. I would play Campbell in the ruck and then when the oppositions ruck goes forward then Campbell could go back with them rather than going to the bench. Therefore giving a team mate a longer rest.

Personally I view Campbell as a back up if Jamar gets injured. The least amount of games he plays the better.

the way people post about campbell you would think he was drafted to the main list.

If you are refering to the 'fact' that rookies cannot play unless someone is injured or until Rd 11 - you are wrong.

I believe having 1 veteran means we can play a rookie from round 1.

If a rookie does play - I know who my money is on.

If you are refering to the 'fact' that rookies cannot play unless someone is injured or until Rd 11 - you are wrong.

I believe having 1 veteran means we can play a rookie from round 1.

If a rookie does play - I know who my money is on.

Nicholson............

Nicholson............

Going from the Amateurs to the AFL isn't as easy as it used to be.

We need to go in with two ruckmen.

Spencer is fighting it out with Campbell at this stage.

I say Campbell at this early stage.

Going from the Amateurs to the AFL isn't as easy as it used to be.

We need to go in with two ruckmen.

Spencer is fighting it out with Campbell at this stage.

I say Campbell at this early stage.

you mean it used to be easy?

not in my lifetime, maybe in the Cordner's days

The club wanted Hale to play fwd - someone who could play "front and square' (I hate that term!) and that if they didn't get it would ensure it spilt to our crumbers.

Seems like Campbell could play that role (as well as back up TMR).

I can't imagine for one moment that an accomplished ruck refunding form and fitness was selected so he can languish in the magoos ! Jamar can effectively rest forward whilst Campbell has a hit. It's purely the machinations of who goes where at other tomes I'm intrigued by.

Ruck rankings would likely be;

Jamar

Campbell

Spencer

Ar present

I can't imagine for one moment that an accomplished ruck refunding form and fitness was selected so he can languish in the magoos ! Jamar can effectively rest forward whilst Campbell has a hit. It's purely the machinations of who goes where at other tomes I'm intrigued by.

Ruck rankings would likely be;

Jamar

Campbell

Spencer

Ar present

That's assuming he gets the free upgraded rookie spot at the start of the season. The order at the moment is Jamar, Spencer, (upgrade Campbell if both are injured), then... Gawn, Fitz.