Hey all

Chopper Lovell

There are still two camps over there but they're no longer associated with the Gutnick era just opposing views on almost everything, it's reached the stage where anytime you post, no matter how innocuous your post is, someone will use it to jump down your throat. It's just not worth the aggro; it was mentally draining continually arguing with someone you didn't even know.

I will say however there are some very good people over there and unfortunately they won't migrate here because the believe the audience is too young. Personally I like the fact that some of the younger posters have first hand knowledge of the recruits coming through.

Always thought you gave as good as you got Robbie, but imagine it was quite draining.

Big difference over there is the higher use of the General Forum. Most of it is interesting EXCEPT when they start threads on POLITICS. If ever there is a subject to get blood boiling and arguments to be pointless pizzing contests its gotta be politics. Political threads should be banned except on political specific boards.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still two camps over there but they're no longer associated with the Gutnick era just opposing views on almost everything, it's reached the stage where anytime you post, no matter how innocuous your post is, someone will use it to jump down your throat. It's just not worth the aggro; it was mentally draining continually arguing with someone you didn't even know.

I will say however there are some very good people over there and unfortunately they won't migrate here because the believe the audience is too young. Personally I like the fact that some of the younger posters have first hand knowledge of the recruits coming through.

It's not that bad. There's been a few threads lately with no attacking going on.

I like 'ology, and will keep posting there, just wish RRE would fall off a cliff and new posters could join.

Always thought you gave as good as you got Robbie, but imagine it was quite draining.

Big difference over there is the higher use of the General Forum. Most of it is interesting EXCEPT when they start threads on POLITICS. If ever there is a subject to get blood boiling and arguments to be pointless pizzing contests its gotta be politics. Political threads should be banned except on political specific boards.

About three months before the GFC I started a thread on the General Board suggesting that from what I could see we were heading for a recession or at least a downturn in the economy, well that degenerated in to a several hundred post slanging match and I was attacked from all sides and labeled an idiot. That was just about the end for me it was only an opinion but an unbelievable fight ensued it gave those that wanted to, the opportunity to get stuck in to me. I gave as good as I got but the whole point of posting on a Footy Board is not to fight with everyone every time you log on.

It's not that bad. There's been a few threads lately with no attacking going on.

I like 'ology, and will keep posting there, just wish RRE would fall off a cliff and new posters could join.

I have to agree with that he isn't one of my favorites, I've noticed he's back posting again

I have a look on the odd occasion but there's nothing that remotely interests me, I don't want to read IRW post then respond to his own post then respond to his own response.

As I said it's too draining and I just don't have the inclination any more.

The old Ology meme of Land being for the children may have been right years ago but the place has attracted some very intelligent older posters - and the kids have grown up.

There really is some good discussion on here and the 'it must be school holidays' moments are few and far between too.

Frankly, I hope Ology sticks around so Land isn't inundated with some of the egos.

Plenty of egos here, already...

Have only recently resumed posting (here) after dropping DEMONOLOGY some 8 years ago. I remember being irritated once too often by snobby,elitist regular posters. BLUEY and TRIDENT come to mind ! Are they still around ? Have they mellowed ?

The old Ology meme of Land being for the children may have been right years ago but the place has attracted some very intelligent older posters - and the kids have grown up.

There really is some good discussion on here and the 'it must be school holidays' moments are few and far between too.

I've always considered the whole "Strawberry Fields/Demonland is only for kids" thing as an urban myth ironically conceived by a very immature mind. The other irony is that I was the lawyer for the company that developed a residential estate on the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road on the way to Casey called Strawberry Fields.

Demonland does however, encourage young posters to come on and express themselves. A survey taken a couple of years ago indicated that Melbourne had the least number of supporters of all of the AFL clubs and I believe that if we foster interest and passion in the club by young people (rather than arrogantly scare them away), this might help turn things around over time. Of course, having a successful team on the field is what really would help us build up our supporter levels.

Anyway, I always regarded the slurs on Demonland as coming from a small minority of people who have problems. My response to the Strawberry Fields line is that I actually like the song which is one of my Beatles favorites as is All You Need Is Love which sits nicely with that minority of 'Ologists who have nothing better to do than attack us over here.

Anyway, I am a poster both here and there and believe there is a place for both sites. Let's face it, we all have Red and Blue blood coursing through our veins - even Bluey who does still post there.

Personally I like the fact that some of the younger posters have first hand knowledge of the recruits coming through.

It's one of the main reasons I come here. I don't know about everyone else but the tentative state of the club and it's future actually keeps me up at night. And yet these know-it-alls actually actively picked on 'land for encouraging the very thing the club needs. In their infinite wisdom.

As I said it's too draining and I just don't have the inclination any more.

I reckon you have a finite amount of energy for these meaningless head-against-a-brick-wall arguments. Y_M wiped out 90% of my energy for this, and RR took care of the rest.

Frankly, I hope Ology sticks around so Land isn't inundated with some of the egos.

God help us if this happens.

Demonland does however, encourage young posters to come on and express themselves. A survey taken a couple of years ago indicated that Melbourne had the least number of supporters of all of the AFL clubs and I believe that if we foster interest and passion in the club by young people (rather than arrogantly scare them away), this might help turn things around over time. Of course, having a successful team on the field is what really would help us build up our supporter levels.

EXACTLY. I was one of those young (ish) posters. I think I joined when I was about 24... I was as disenfranchised with the club as anyone, having only learned what I'd learned about MFC from the TV. D'land helped me out heaps. My support and love of the club has increased tenfold, and all of that is due to the community element that I didn't even know existed. Add to that the club website is pretty useless. Especially for those of us who live overseas and interstate. I'm really not making things up when I say I NEED demonland, and 'ology just never got close to filling that void.

EXACTLY. I was one of those young (ish) posters.

As was I DD - I joined Demonland (and Demonology) during the 2003 season - I was 19 during that season. It was a down season, so it was an interesting time to join.

Seems like an age ago, actually.

On a side note, I just had a look at Demonland from 2002 on Archive.org. There was a thread on there from ASHO (aka JUMPING JACK CLENNETT) bemoaning the point kick-ins. Some things never change! :)

On a side note, I just had a look at Demonland from 2002 on Archive.org. There was a thread on there from ASHO (aka JUMPING JACK CLENNETT) bemoaning the point kick-ins. Some things never change! :)

Was there anything about clash jumpers with white in it ? ;)

I'm another defecter, although as I'm sure you can tell by my post counts I'm not the biggest of contributors. I originally got put onto 'Ology by a good mate of mine (Still_Rocking for those old posters, who by the way is the son of RaymondS) and spent most of my time there however over the years I've just drifted over this side of the divide. I'm also a younger poster - would have been about 23 when I joined - but that wasn't really the reason I moved across. Just found the discussion more informative and a lot more going on, plus as mentioned the infighting over there can be a bit much at times. I think most of my favourite posters from over there are on both anyway so it was never a big deal, although I pretty much never read there anymore, just come straight here. Don't think I can even remember my password!

Edited - just saw the date I joined and it was actually further back than I thought!

Edited by buddha82

I had just turned 20 when I joined.

We'd just lost to Port in that gutting match at the G (free against Neitz, deliberate against Rivers 30 minutes into the last in our defence when we're 5 points down HA) and I needed an outlet to vent about this and that.

My first post was a diatribe aimed at one recently-joined Hawthorn player.

As was I DD - I joined Demonland (and Demonology) during the 2003 season - I was 19 during that season. It was a down season, so it was an interesting time to join.

Yeah, I think I got in on it at around 2004... Which was the start of a 3 year finals run. Good times... And I'm looking forward to more. It's definitely a fun place to be when you're winning!

God time flies when you're wasting it on Demonland :P

I was just thinking that...

Was there anything about clash jumpers with white in it ? ;)

Probably, and I think we'd JUST gotten past the Woey thing. Apparently that created a LOT of controversy here in the old 'land. Glad I missed it.

I started on Demonology early 2005 and joined Demonland just this year - it's no coincidence that I joined here at the same time as "Redlegs" raised his self-indulgent ruccus in Demonology. I had been reading Demonland for most of the last 5 years, but hadn't really felt compelled to join as I'm not really a high output poster anyway - I used Demonland as a good source for information coming out of the club (seemed a little more accurate). It was only when things started getting very personal between a handful of posters on Demonology and the rest of us were affected to the point where posting became almost impossible, that I decided to come here for some respite. I know I had the occasional difference with RobbieF in the political threads, but it was obvious things were well out of hand when he walked as (and I'm sure he won't mind me saying this) he was one of the thicker skinned poster's on the site.

One thing though, I think the references to the age of posters on either site (and there does seem to be a school of thought on here that Demonology is a haven for the elderly and infirm ;)) are completely irrelevant as for the most part we discuss the current situation at the club and don't tend to get bogged down in history classes. I can't fathom why people might think that the older posters (myself, for example, fast approaching 60) wouldn't share the same thoughts/opinions as those in their teens and 20's for example.

I went there about 6 months ago and discovered I couldn't sign up. Completely and utterly defeats the purpose of having an open forum. I own an online community (one of the most influential in Australia) and something like that is an insult to the very notion of online social communities.

RIP 'ology

I went there about 6 months ago and discovered I couldn't sign up. Completely and utterly defeats the purpose of having an open forum. I own an online community (one of the most influential in Australia) and something like that is an insult to the very notion of online social communities.

RIP 'ology

What online community do you own?

Btw, if I were a member of your community, I wouldn't like you saying you "own" me.

What online community do you own?

Btw, if I were a member of your community, I wouldn't like you saying you "own" me.

I have owned you on many occasions.

That isn't really true, but a good comeback never-the-less. Undeserved, yes.

Not very good at smack talk.

I have owned you on many occasions.

That isn't really true, but a good comeback never-the-less. Undeserved, yes.

Not very good at smack talk.

Not if you apologise and denounce the smack talk in the very same post.