Ashley Hansen

Range Rover

Like many of these discussions it's difficult to make a judgement. There is so much info that we as Joe Public are not privy.

There is little doubt that Hansen would have been floated during trade week, there was liklely no interest.

Who knows if Hansen's management and the WCE may have been working together to sound out if there was any possibility of him being taken in the ND to find him a new home, with a view to keeping him on if they didn't get what they needed at the draft/s if he couldn't find a home?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like nearly every other delisted player in this draft, Hansen would have found out the truth which is that not a single club would have touched him.

At least now, with WCE paying out the bulk of his contract, he has an outside chance of being drafted.

Have to agree Blistering, it's Hansen's best chance.

Have to agree Blistering, it's Hansen's best chance.

Could of had a better chance if delisted earlier.

It isn't whether any club would have taken him in the nat draft, it's about forward planning - which clubs do before the nat draft.

It isn't whether any club would have taken him in the nat draft, it's about forward planning - which clubs do before the nat draft.

Slightly better chance by a club passing to vacate a spot, yes.

Rookie Draft for him.

Could have.

Go & sit in the corner.

Pffft. Infallible my backside.

Nasher WJ just wants to see it his way. That's fine.

You and I know WC stiffed Hansen and didn't give him the best chance of progressing his career. It's so obvious it doesn't need further conversation.

What I want is to not be misrepresented. 

For the record, I never claimed that WC didn't "stiff" Hansen. 

I have already said that in making my comments, "I wasn't addressing WCE's conduct on the matter" and further, I made it clear that "... as for WCE's conduct, ... I don't condone that sort of conduct at all." It's all there for the record if you care to read it.

Hansen's manager Dan Richardson was interviewed by KB on SEN this morning and while he agreed it was a late call by the Eagles, he said the delisting was "not a complete shock because there was some indication that it was on the cards". He was referring to Hansen's injury and it was clear that the issue has been on the agenda between player and club for some time. 

Richardson added that Hansen was training well ATM and was still in the process of gathering medical information to support his case if he decides to nominate.

You can read what you like into the above and tell me it's all irrelevant but I would suggest that whether available in the main draft or not, I'm more convinced than ever that there would have been no takers for Hansen.

Hansen has about two weeks to decide whether to nominate and to produce a good case about the ability of his body to withstand another year or two of the rigours of AFL footy. 

I wish him good luck and simply repeat that his chances of being picked up by another club have been dramatically boosted by the fact that because he was in contract WC would foot most of his bill if taken as a mature age rookie.

Oh yes, and did I say that West Coast are simply an awful bunch of human beings for the way they treated him?

Hansen's manager Dan Richardson was interviewed by KB on SEN this morning and while he agreed it was a late call by the Eagles, he said the delisting was "not a complete shock because there was some indication that it was on the cards". He was referring to Hansen's injury and it was clear that the issue has been on the agenda between player and club for some time.

Richardson added that Hansen was training well ATM and was still in the process of gathering medical information to support his case if he decides to nominate.

Hansen getting better advice than Chris "scapegoat" Johnson

Edited by old55

The word I have from my sources in the west suggest that because Hansen was contracted for a further twelve months, the Eagles couldn't delist him until the next season. By delisting him before the National Draft, they risked going over the salary cap for 2010.

By delisting him after the ND, the pay out will go into 2011.

I don't know if that's correct but just information passed on to me.

The word I have from my sources in the west suggest that because Hansen was contracted for a further twelve months, the Eagles couldn't delist him until the next season. By delisting him before the National Draft, they risked going over the salary cap for 2010.

Sounds plausible. But the season ended on October 31.

My apologies. My intention was never to misrepresent you but seeing you've leveled that accusation at me I feel compelled to write a few lines in my defense.

Thanks Whispering Jack, I really enjoy your site and your contribution to it, I just disagreed with a view you had. Sorry if I've offended.

Thanks Peanuts. You haven't offended at all. We simply differ in our views. That's what forums like these are about.

November 1st is effectively 2011 they way I read the agreement.

I think WYL has it, but it doesn't allow clubs to not have an inkling of what they could get in the draft.

FCS, it's pick 25 - you are going to get a decent player.

I'm surprised that so many around here are concerned with loyalty or even common decency in professional sport. Of course it exists because there are lots of decent people involved in the game but where there are business decisions to be made we are going to have to learn to accept that both clubs and players will ultimately be loyal to themselves and look after their own interests.

Back in 1964, Ron Barassi made a decision in favour of his own interests in choosing to advance his professional career and although he didn't show loyalty to his old club, he was perfectly entitled to make that decision. I believe it was announced on Christmas Eve, hardly enough time to allow Melbourne to locate a replacement for their captain and marquee player, was it? How indecent was that? Still, most people have forgiven him by now as they will also forgive Cam Bruce for the way he left the club for less money but at least with the guarantee of a game for two years.

Who showed the loyalty/decency there when Melbourne was prevented from having the opportunity to trade for him?

I'm not advocating that clubs and players shouldn't act morally and ethically. What I'm saying is that in reality they sometimes don't (whether we like it or not)!

I'm not advocating that clubs and players shouldn't act morally and ethically. What I'm saying is that in reality they sometimes don't (whether we like it or not)!

Yes, but it doesn't mean that I shouldn't admonish them.

I think moving from commonplace indecency doesn't mean we should accept it or be numbed by it.

Methinks, there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. Respected journalist Kim Hagdorn was telling this story way back in September - HANSEN TIPPED TO RETIRE

Hansen’s hope of extending his injury-plagued career at the highest level is expected to be confirmed immediately after he completes WAFL commitments with Swan Districts this month.

It is understood the big 2006 premiership forward has been advised by West Coast management he should hang up his boots.

It had been understood that Hansen’s prospects of playing on again next season would rest with medical assessments later this month.

He is still contracted for next year with West Coast and is not expected to attract any interest from other clubs if he was on the trade market.

Hansen has managed just 78 games with West Coast in almost a decade on their list after he was drafted in 2001 at pick number 38 and joined the Eagles nest alongside boom recruit Chris Judd.

Hansen has been plagued with groin, hamstring and back problems throughout his career.

Connecting the dots it's fairly obvious that irrespective of whether you agree or disagree with West Coast's handling of the player in question, the fact that he was contracted for another year makes his recruitment as a mature age rookie a viable proposition for another club but of course, it guarantees nothing. Who knows, the Eagles might have indicated a willingness to take Hansen back if nobody takes him in the rookie draft as we did last year when we delisted Meesen and Newton.

What matters to us if the newspaper reports are true about our supposed interest in Hansen, then I'm sure we will test out that body to ensure that it can go around for another year. The fact that the Eagles were advising him to hang up his boots two months ago and ultimately dropped him off their list doesn't sound too promising for Hansen irrespective of whether they dudded him or not.

What matters to us if the newspaper reports are true about our supposed interest in Hansen, then I'm sure we will test out that body to ensure that it can go around for another year.

Greg Denham of The Australian has dismissed it as a media beat up and a myth that Mfc need a strong big bodied KPP up forward.

Given our current list and our drafting, I'm inclined to agree with him. This thread has created much more mileage than anyone could have imagined for such a player that struggles to even get on the field in a side that finished bottom; that has delisted him. I think there is enough proof in the pudding here to see this chapter finished.