The Ben Jacobs Thread

Hobbits's

No idea.

I'm sure E25 will be here soon to fill us in.

just seen he's clip on the Draft on afl website, looks pretty good on feet. capable in the air with good body positioning, has good vision too. but it is only a small minute or so of highlights. you are right about jacobs left foot. didn't see him on his right though.

edit

cannot post link. sorry

Edited by Grimes to Watts

No idea.

I'm sure E25 will be here soon to fill us in.

As I've said in a couple of posts in the last few hours, my mail is that he will be our selection at pick 12.

Leadership +++

Captain U/16 Vic Metro team & of Brighton Grammar this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103717/default.aspx

14. Ben Jacobs (Sandringham Dragon): Is a half-forward and half-back who performed well in the kicking test at the draft combine. He is thought to have improvement in him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102187/default.aspx

Kevin Sheehan says: Left-footed medium defender who can play midfield or forward. Powerful type who kicks long and takes an excellent overhead mark. Can really find the ball and was outstanding at the under- 18 championships, winning All-Australian honours and averaging 29 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104838/default.aspx

"His kicking has been absolutely outstanding this year. He can kick a ball 60m-plus and he is very effective with his long kicks, but this year he has also lowered his vision a bit and really taken his short passing to another level. I think the South Australia game over there in the carnival where he had 47 touches really highlighted that.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/stars-in-the-making/story-fn53klc6-1225953906303

Ben Jacobs (Beaumaris) H: 186cm, W: 83kg

The Luke Hodge clone boasts a powerful left-foot kick and wins the ball easily. Jacobs will step straight into AFL football from Round 1 next year and thrive in the elite environment. A strong mark with excellent penetration on his kicks, Jacobs is a competitive beast with the ability to turn a game. Needs to brush up on his non-preferred and add pace but will be a blue-chip selection and was nearly snaffled by Gold Coast last year. Expect him to go between pick 10-15 and begin his career at half-back.

Edited by E25

yer sounds like a great prospect, get the feeling it will come down to either ben jacobs or jack darling with the likes of smedts, atley, n lynch gone. n i feel BP will go with the 'safe pick' in jacobs who i would love at melbourne but there's a part of me that would love even more wud be for BP to take a punt on darling as i believe he n the mfc will reep the rewards!

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

More like Hodge, Gilbee or even Shannon Hurn.

Was also rated 5/5 for marking.

Sorry but I've never heard of those people. I'm a tad one eyed.

I would prefer a player like this taken at 12 rahter than a forward who can't assist in the ruck.

Why?

Because Watts, Jurrah, a back-up ruck and another tall will not fit in our forward line.

So it would be expensive back-up for Watts or Jurrah to get a Darling-type.

I would prefer a player like this taken at 12 rahter than a forward who can't assist in the ruck.

Why?

I agree. Plus, I think someone like a Jacobs (or a Smedts) will help fill a role at half back. As E25 has mentioned (and a few others) it may let Grimes be utilised midfield if need be; strengthens defensive pillar and midfield. We can utilise a *tall marking forward with our next pick.

edit: Did I read somewhere that Jacobs hired a sprint coach/consultant to improve his sprinting/pace ?...I could be wrong, I have a hunch it was this kid.

This is Snoop Dogs from Bigfooty's take on him

Taken straight from his Phantom Draft

# 28 (BRISBANE LIONS)

Ben Jacobs – Sandringham / 186cm / 82kg

Profile : I have a heap of time for a kid like Jacobs. Was Capt of the u16 metro side, i think he is Capt of his school and seemingly in the elite class for his age group. Followed that up with champs last year where he acquitted himself really well. Was probably someone that the Suns thought about taking but ultimately was made to realise he needed to work a lot harder to ‘achieve the dream’. Essentially his biggest problem was he was a bit one paced and needed to be more agile / mobile for AFL level. Over summer he got his body into top shape and has had a terrific season. Again played champs and from a possession perspective dominated (he got 36 possessions and 47 in another). Typically used to drift across HB and set play up with his terrific left foot which is both accurate and penetrating. He is also strong overhead and could probably play a role in the midfield but I see him more as a Simon Goodwin / David Myers type for those looking for a comparison. Like Myers, Jacobs just shows the poise, vision and decision making that potentially make him a very valuable player off HB. The knock on him will still be his pace....but he has improved significantly and a definite to get taken fairly high.

Why Brisbane: Smart player and with Heppell, Prestia and Jacobs coming in as midfielders you are getting a great blend and what could well be a ‘super draft’ for them.

Similar to: David Myers

Draft Range: 10-30

Roughie: Seb Tape

I agree. Plus, I think someone like a Jacobs (or a Smedts) will help fill a role at half back. As E25 has mentioned (and a few others) it may let Grimes be utilised midfield if need be; strengthens defensive pillar and midfield. We can utilise a *tall marking forward with our next pick.

edit: Did I read somewhere that Jacobs hired a sprint coach/consultant to improve his sprinting/pace ?...I could be wrong, I have a hunch it was this kid.

You remember correctly HT.

Can't be bothered finding the link, but he did.

You remember correctly HT.

Can't be bothered finding the link, but he did.

I know it's only a story - but I can't help but think that this speaks volumes in professionalism and desire to get the best out of himself. I usually take note of things like this. It's not to say other draftees don't do the same, they probably do. It just highlights for me that this kid is serious and wants to improve, when he's already a recognised very handy player.

I agree HT.

Whilst it is common for draftees these days with pace issues when they are underage to enlist the help of a sprinting coach, it still shows initiative, committment & a drive to get better.

It's also probably a reason why they are draftees instead of being passed over, or being rookied.

Iirc Luke Parker has done the same.

I think he'll be very good.

Hodge comparisons, whilst I can see where they come from, are obviously a bit of a stretch.

I should preface this by saying I know nothing of Jacobs but I'm please in one respect and worried in another. Jacobs would appear to be a natural ball getter and beautiful kick. If that is coupled with decision making it's a great set of attributes. However I read in Quigley's phantom that he is loose in defense.

I'd love a player to take Grimes position and allow Grimes to move into the midfield but at the moment we are very short of good man on man ball winning HBF which has been further hurt by the departure of Bruce.

The kicking and decision making out of our back line is poor. Bartram has attributes but kicking and decision making are not among them. McDonald, Warnock, Rivers and to a lesser degree Frawley also struggle. It's why Grimes is so important. Strauss was recruited for this but he is struggling one on one and he doesn't find the ball that often. Bennell, Tapscott and Jetta (and perhaps Bail) are chances here.

My preference is for a small defensive back but one of the non negotiable attributes I'd have is "ability to win one on one contests". E25 you've done your homework, who fits the bill??

Of course Quigley might be wrong and if he is Jacobs fits the bill for me.

Billy Smedts, Cameron Guthrie and Blayne Wilson come to mind.

First of all, Peanuts, how 'small' ?

Jabobs is 185cm.

(ChaserJ - Smedts is 189cm).

To me Jacobs fits the bill. If you're looking for someone else 'smaller' to take the quick nippy opposition fwds, one with pace, smarts, skill and line breaking ability I could suggest Shannon Rioli. Perhaps a later pick could be utilised ie..pick 53 or rookie. 173cm..cousin of Cyril. To see vision ref:afl site/draft link and click on small/mid/kick/pace.

I think Jacobs is a good get, because you can teach accountability a lot easier than you can teach a kid to find the footy.

Him playing loose could easily be a byproduct of the competition and the role he is asked to play.

I'd be more worried about a guy like Harper who doesn't get a lot of the footy yet. If you can't find it in the TAC cup, what will make you find it at AFL level..?

Someone like Gary Rohan or Stephen Hill should be able to overcome this with absolutely elite athelticism.

Anything short of that has me worried.

In terms of one on ones, I think he's pretty good, without being Scully-like.

He's a tough competitor though. He definitely has the ability, without it being something that I'd say is his biggest strength.

Brilliant overhead, so you'd probably see a lot of him going back with the flight of the ball like Grimes has made his trademark.

I agree with the list Chaser J has provided and I'd add Brodie Smith, Jamie Cripps & maybe Reece Conca.

Conca may be a bolter to the tiges, but that's all twitter rumour-mongering atm.

Edited by E25

Pretty sure Jacobs has grown & is a bit taller than 185cm now.

Something like 187+

I believe he supports Hawthorn (cos it really matters) but the family is pretty much sold on him going to the dees & he's happy about that.

Obviously it's conditional on there being no shock "sliders".

What about Jamie cripps? possible pick around 33?

Dont no much about him except for whats read on the afl site.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101748/default.aspx

Kevin Sheehan says: Medium defender with excellent speed who takes the game on. Uses the ball well by foot and is sound defensively. Was an under-18 representative for WA, averaging 14 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.