Robbo's remark

dee-eee

Just read a review in "THE AGE" of Martin Flanagan's new book "Richo" where he mentions in passing that the other flamboyant Tasmanian forward,our Robbo,said in his final interview that his greatest regret was not winning Mark of the Year ! I didnt know whether to laugh or cry !!

Just read a review in "THE AGE" of Martin Flanagan's new book "Richo" where he mentions in passing that the other flamboyant Tasmanian forward,our Robbo,said in his final interview that his greatest regret was not winning Mark of the Year ! I didnt know whether to laugh or cry !!

Tongue in cheek I'm sure, the guy loved the club.

Tongue in cheek I'm sure, the guy loved the club.

I don't know whats in the book but I hope he had the right things to say about the club along with the tongue in cheek stuff. It was the right thing to retire him. He had a good innings. Look at the progress of medium forwards like Jurrah, Pettard and the new/old look of Brad Green since he left. Brad reminds me of 2000 now. Where has he been all these years? If we kept Robbo he would be putting all these guys at risk of getting cracked vertebrae.

Edited by america de cali

I don't know whats in the book but I hope he had the right things to say about the club along with the tongue in cheek stuff. It was the right thing to retire him. He had a good innings. Look at the progress of medium forwards like Jurrah, Pettard and the new/old look of Brad Green. He reminds me of 2000 now. Where has he been all these years? If we had Robbo back he would be putting all these guys at risk of getting cracked vertebrae.

Rumor has it that part of Robbo's live set is Skyhook's 'Ego is not a dirty word'...was a periphery player at best. Never rated him.

I'm ok with threads like this but please people, the guy was a good small forward who carried us for a few years there.

In fact, he should have been AA one year.

He's said a few stupid things but he is still part of the tapestry of the club - good and bad.

I'm not willing to throw him under a bus just yet.

I'm ok with threads like this but please people, the guy was a good small forward who carried us for a few years there.

In fact, he should have been AA one year.

He's said a few stupid things but he is still part of the tapestry of the club - good and bad.

I'm not willing to throw him under a bus just yet.

He certainly was a good player and could have been better with injury luck. As I said he had a good innings. But the stupid things he says after being eased out change the perception of his legacy. A 12 year plus career is a rare luxury in this game and he had it. No need to go out kicking and screaming. He should have been celebrating.

Edited by america de cali

He certainly was a good player and could have been better with injury luck. As I said he had a good innings. But the stupid things he says after being eased out change the perception of his legacy. A 12 year plus career is a rare luxury in this game and he had it. No need to go out kicking and screaming. He should have been celebrating.

The topic was done to death over a year ago.

Robbo definitely wasn't my favourite player, but don't forget he carried the forward line when Neitz went down.

All those times he single-handedly won games for us - Geelong, Essendon '05, Collingwood in '07, they were up there with the best MFC games I've seen.

People need to forget that Hawthorn game already.

Legacies are what remain in people's minds. If your memories of the numerous games he won for us can fade that quickly that says more about you than Robbo. A great and fickle character like the various versions of the Jacko's we have had - All ego. Contrary to what the usual proclamation 'that winning is everything', I reckon its as much about entertainment. We were blessed as a club to have had a forward line of Neita and Robbo. I'm p'd off he didn't win mark of the year also. It would have added to the club legacy, one more rod of gold. Up there Robbo

Legacies are what remain in people's minds. If your memories of the numerous games he won for us can fade that quickly that says more about you than Robbo. A great and fickle character like the various versions of the Jacko's we have had - All ego. Contrary to what the usual proclamation 'that winning is everything', I reckon its as much about entertainment. We were blessed as a club to have had a forward line of Neita and Robbo. I'm p'd off he didn't win mark of the year also. It would have added to the club legacy, one more rod of gold. Up there Robbo

Did I criticise him on his career? Valid criticism is warranted for the very public dummy spit which tainted what should have been a glorious departure. His time was up and should have had some grace when he left.

Did I criticise him on his career? Valid criticism is warranted for the very public dummy spit which tainted what should have been a glorious departure. His time was up and should have had some grace when he left.

It's sad how we always remeber our champs at their worst when they leave. Yze, robbo, jeff white, woewodien. To a lot of supporters will always be remembered for their worst and not the way they should have been. At their best, they were all awesome.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Both threads on Robbo are nothing threads. He played, he did some very good things for us but then the game passed him by. It's no biggie that he wanted to take a speccie that would be remembered for 50 years. All of this crap is just bashing a man that wanted to wear the red and blue for another season or two - how is that a bad thing?

Robbo was what he was: a highly entertaining footballer when he was on song and a frustrating one when he wasn't. I could name 1/2 dozen from every club that fit that bill. Remember the good times he gave us and don't worry about the rest because it really doesn't matter that much these days.

Poor old Robbo. Had way too clear an idea of his own marketability, and how he was seen by AFL fans. But it's a chicken and egg argument. If he didn't have the ego, would he have been as good? If he hadn't taken those hangers and been recruited via Almost Footy Legends, would he have gained the confidence?

I reckon the comment was likely tongue in cheek, or taken out of context. But then I'm a Robbo fan.